Sith Lord Vader next GL?

Replies

• Jo0121
    137 posts Member
    Jo0121 wrote: »
    Starslayer wrote: »

So let me rephrase, in the movies they aren't developed enough to warrant GLs.

To be fair, we have a whole bunch of factions that are not movie based: 501st, Bad batch, Imperial Remnant, Mandalorians, Nightsisters, Old republic, Phoenix, Sith Empire. You could add Ewoks, Geonosians, Jawas and Tusken to the mix, because I have no idea where most of those named characters come from, even if their names might be in the script.

So imo, as long as a character is fully developed in a popular Star Wars show like Clone Wars, it's on the table.

I do agree that for the moment, GLs are only from movies. Let's give it another year and another Mando season to see if there is a pattern there ;)

Yeah I know about other characters. But GLs so far, like you said, were from the movies. I can see a popular TV show character. A book? Not so much.

And to be honest even with TCW I just don't see GG or Dooku as GLs, but if they go in that direction I am cool with that.

And so far, GL’s followed a faction pairing pattern that Vader would break. Dooku is the Head of State of the entire Separatists, he’s one 20 fallen Jedi Masters ever, a Sith Lord, and a major antagonist in the Clone Wars show and 2 of the 3 prequel movies. There’s books, comics and other material that also feature him. Hayden Vader is an extremely tiny stepping stone to Anakin becoming Vader, and he doesn’t go all in on the Sith ideology until he’s chopped down and put in the suit.

Grievous was Supreme Commander of the droid army, a master duelist and Jedi slayer, and he became the de facto Head of State after Dooku’s death. A major plot point of Revenge of the Sith revolves around killing Grievous to end the Clone Wars.

And pre suit Vader literally contributed to the fall of the Republic and the Jedi order. He led the purge.

Look, I get you have your wishes. That is cool. I do too, but let's at least try be objective.

Every argument you make for Dooku and GG, can be realistically made for pre suit Vader.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member

To be fair, we have a whole bunch of factions that are not movie based: 501st, Bad batch, Imperial Remnant, Mandalorians, Nightsisters, Old republic, Phoenix, Sith Empire. You could add Ewoks, Geonosians, Jawas and Tusken to the mix, because I have no idea where most of those named characters come from, even if their names might be in the script.

So imo, as long as a character is fully developed in a popular Star Wars show like Clone Wars, it's on the table.

I do agree that for the moment, GLs are only from movies. Let's give it another year and another Mando season to see if there is a pattern there ;)

Yeah I know about other characters. But GLs so far, like you said, were from the movies. I can see a popular TV show character. A book? Not so much.

And to be honest even with TCW I just don't see GG or Dooku as GLs, but if they go in that direction I am cool with that.

And so far, GL’s followed a faction pairing pattern that Vader would break. Dooku is the Head of State of the entire Separatists, he’s one 20 fallen Jedi Masters ever, a Sith Lord, and a major antagonist in the Clone Wars show and 2 of the 3 prequel movies. There’s books, comics and other material that also feature him. Hayden Vader is an extremely tiny stepping stone to Anakin becoming Vader, and he doesn’t go all in on the Sith ideology until he’s chopped down and put in the suit.

Grievous was Supreme Commander of the droid army, a master duelist and Jedi slayer, and he became the de facto Head of State after Dooku’s death. A major plot point of Revenge of the Sith revolves around killing Grievous to end the Clone Wars.

Dooku dies in the beginning of RotS, so really about 1 1/5 prequel movies. Also, how would “Head of State” Dooku be any different than the Dooku we already have? Also, I wouldn’t say Grievous is a master duelist. I mean, the reason he survived most of his duels was with help, or running away.
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • Wimma
    152 posts Member
    I'll just be happy if they tell us soon - I want to see some pre req's to know if they're a viable GL to chase! Can't be long now, can it??
  • I'm still thinking Maul if not separatist.

It follows on the recent Mandalorian stuff, darksaber wielders coming on board and then it would also make sense to put pre viszla as the pay wall.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    I'm still thinking Maul if not separatist.

It follows on the recent Mandalorian stuff, darksaber wielders coming on board and then it would also make sense to put pre viszla as the pay wall.

The recent Mandalorian stuff was for the show The Mandalorian, though I could see a Pre Viszla coming to the game now that they are back in prequel/CW era.

• AlexTheG
    215 posts Member

I'm hoping that wouldn't require a r8 Darth Maul. 😬
  • Jo0121 wrote: »

Dooku was only a major antagonist in one movie. In ep3 he dies in the first act.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member

Dooku was only a major antagonist in one movie. In ep3 he dies in the first act.

Spoilers :(
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »

I think the statute of limitations on spoilers has expired for ep3. It's been out for 18 years. If you haven't seen it and are on a sw forum, it's on you.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

I think the statute of limitations on spoilers has expired for ep3. It's been out for 18 years. If you haven't seen it and are on a sw forum, it's on you.

:D
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member

Don't forget Clone Wars (although I don't know how prominent he was in that since I haven't seen it--just pointing it out on account of it exists).

To me it's simple. When you think Resistance you think Rey, so they made her a Galactic Legend. When you think First Order you think Kylo Ren. Thinking about Jedi? Odds are the first one that comes to mind is Luke. Galactic Republic and Sith are little less clear-cut, but I'm willing to say that the average person would think Obi-Wan and Emperor Palpatine.

When you think of Separatists who pops into your head first?

When you think of Empire who is it?

Finally, from the reverse angle, when you think of Darth Vader what faction do you think of?

So to me it's clear. The next one will be either a Separatist or Darth Vader, but it will not be a Separatist Vader.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Jo0121
    137 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »

Don't forget Clone Wars (although I don't know how prominent he was in that since I haven't seen it--just pointing it out on account of it exists).

To me it's simple. When you think Resistance you think Rey, so they made her a Galactic Legend. When you think First Order you think Kylo Ren. Thinking about Jedi? Odds are the first one that comes to mind is Luke. Galactic Republic and Sith are little less clear-cut, but I'm willing to say that the average person would think Obi-Wan and Emperor Palpatine.

When you think of Separatists who pops into your head first?

When you think of Empire who is it?

Finally, from the reverse angle, when you think of Darth Vader what faction do you think of?

So to me it's clear. The next one will be either a Separatist or Darth Vader, but it will not be a Separatist Vader.

I don't think anyone actually thought it would be Sep Vader (well maybe one or two people), pretty sure that doesn't exist.
  • Durandal
    109 posts Member

Maybe Revan on the Mandalorian wars.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    Durandal wrote: »

Maybe Revan on the Mandalorian wars.

They could do a Mandalorian vs. Old Republic with Revan as the OR GL, and Mandalore the Ultimate as the Mando GL.

• ssj4tim
    135 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    I think the reason fallen anakin makes the most sense, or Hayden vader, is because of their focus on revenge of the sith. When you think of kenobi in that movie who is the obvious opposite? Maul? He's not even relevant in the movie. Dooku? His head is rolling around a space ship for most of the movie. Grevious? He fought Kenobi but it is tough to call that a legendary fight. The o ly thi g that fits is the duel between kenobi and anakin. I get people are butt hurt about factions and "it wouldn't make sense if he was separatist" or some nonsense like that, but quite honestly when has this game ever gone by canon or making sense? They base factions off of balance. They generally choose characters that tend to be opposites.

You can argue that Jesi Master Luke and Sith Eternal never fought so it doesn't make sense, but CG was just capitalizing on the new trilogies and knew more people would pay for a luke and Palpatine than another kylo or another rey to counter luke or see. Same thing here, while some niche fans want dooku or maul or grevious, Hayden vader will make them more money. That is the obvious choice.
  • ssj4tim wrote: »
    Grevious? He fought Kenobi but it is tough to call that a legendary fight.
    The 2 parts fight that started with grievous jumping in space and finished with Kenobi using a blaster, with a sort-of-car chase in between, was pretty epic.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    ssj4tim wrote: »
    I get people are butt hurt about factions and "it wouldn't make sense if he was separatist" or some nonsense like that, but quite honestly when has this game ever gone by canon or making sense? They base factions off of balance. They generally choose characters that tend to be opposites.

Logic =/= butt hurt.

I find it odd that you pick the one area where they have followed some logic and lore (faction pairs), to claim they do not follow those.

We can wait and see if they break from this, but there is some logic behind GR being paired with Separatists.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    I get people are butt hurt about factions and "it wouldn't make sense if he was separatist" or some nonsense like that, but quite honestly when has this game ever gone by canon or making sense? They base factions off of balance. They generally choose characters that tend to be opposites.

Logic =/= butt hurt.

I find it odd that you pick the one area where they have followed some logic and lore (faction pairs), to claim they do not follow those.

We can wait and see if they break from this, but there is some logic behind GR being paired with Separatists.

@Kyno you’re breaking my heart!
    I would die happy if it was Lord Vader
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

Logic =/= butt hurt.

Kyno you’re breaking my heart!
    I would die happy if it was Lord Vader

I dont see a future where we dont have a GL version of Vader..... I just think it's a stretch without more changes to the way they have been doing things to make him fit here.
  • Durandal
    109 posts Member
    edited July 2021

And a Yoda version?
    A "simple" Support is a shame for that one.
  • SotaDraken
    447 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    I think the reason fallen anakin makes the most sense, or Hayden vader, is because of their focus on revenge of the sith. When you think of kenobi in that movie who is the obvious opposite? Maul? He's not even relevant in the movie. Dooku? His head is rolling around a space ship for most of the movie. Grevious? He fought Kenobi but it is tough to call that a legendary fight. The o ly thi g that fits is the duel between kenobi and anakin. I get people are butt hurt about factions and "it wouldn't make sense if he was separatist" or some nonsense like that, but quite honestly when has this game ever gone by canon or making sense? They base factions off of balance. They generally choose characters that tend to be opposites.

You can argue that Jesi Master Luke and Sith Eternal never fought so it doesn't make sense, but CG was just capitalizing on the new trilogies and knew more people would pay for a luke and Palpatine than another kylo or another rey to counter luke or see. Same thing here, while some niche fans want dooku or maul or grevious, Hayden vader will make them more money. That is the obvious choice.

and yet, you can argue for the exact same reason you made (choosing characters that tend to be opposites) that Galactic Republic is the exact opposite of the Separatists, in canon and in this game. One (epic and amazing) duel in the 3rd movie does not make up for the 3 prequels of movies that establish the 2 factions fighting for different regimes of power..

It is more of people wishing that they could have a "Fallen Anakin" and quite honestly, imho, it's also the false hope that the push/feedback from some in the community for this character is the proof that they can influence the game and the Devs. That only goes so far, despite how much we may feel differently.

GR vs Separatists makes more sense than any wishful thinking for a baby newborn Lord Vader that has no faction to pull from..
  • Lord Vader delivers a final lesson to some younglings under the orders of the Sidius- does that make him a sep? Sidius was running the seps AND the pubs. Palpatine converts the republic into an empire before the Mustafar scene- so Lord Vader does fit into the empire. Lord Vader will be an Empire GL with DS synergy as well…it’s just hard for some of us because we want the best Vader to be in that suit- the suit limited some of his abilities though. Limpy, gimpy, angsty Vader was not as powerful as red eyed fallen Lord Vader.
  • SotaDraken wrote: »

and yet, you can argue for the exact same reason you made (choosing characters that tend to be opposites) that Galactic Republic is the exact opposite of the Separatists, in canon and in this game. One (epic and amazing) duel in the 3rd movie does not make up for the 3 prequels of movies that establish the 2 factions fighting for different regimes of power..

It is more of people wishing that they could have a "Fallen Anakin" and quite honestly, imho, it's also the false hope that the push/feedback from some in the community for this character is the proof that they can influence the game and the Devs. That only goes so far, despite how much we may feel differently.

GR vs Separatists makes more sense than any wishful thinking for a baby newborn Lord Vader that has no faction to pull from..

But are the steps and the republic really fighting for opposite ideals? The people that believe in the separatists and those that believe in the republic both believe they are fighting for freedom and democracy. They are both being manipulated be sideous. So they really aren't different at all but pretty much the same.

I'd venture to say that the faction most idealistically opposed to the republic is the empire.

It also probably isn't a coincidence that that faction is currently being explored in the bad batch show.

So a Vader with the empire tag would be an opposing faction of the republic. It was the enemy the entire time through the prequels. The separatists were just pawns. The real enemy was within.
  • SotaDraken wrote: »

But are the steps and the republic really fighting for opposite ideals? The people that believe in the separatists and those that believe in the republic both believe they are fighting for freedom and democracy. They are both being manipulated be sideous. So they really aren't different at all but pretty much the same.

I'd venture to say that the faction most idealistically opposed to the republic is the empire.

It also probably isn't a coincidence that that faction is currently being explored in the bad batch show.

So a Vader with the empire tag would be an opposing faction of the republic. It was the enemy the entire time through the prequels. The separatists were just pawns. The real enemy was within.

We know that.. now...

that's like saying that Darth Sidious/Palpatine/SEE is actually everyone's main villain because he is the architect of the entire Saga so therefore he should be everyone's GL DS counterpart..

GR is fighting to HOLD on to its power, Separatists are fighting to BE their own Power.. It's a conflict between two different regimes , regardless of who is actually behind it all.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    SotaDraken wrote: »
    SotaDraken wrote: »

We know that.. now...

that's like saying that Darth Sidious/Palpatine/SEE is actually everyone's main villain because he is the architect of the entire Saga so therefore he should be everyone's GL DS counterpart..

GR is fighting to HOLD on to its power, Separatists are fighting to BE their own Power.. It's a conflict between two different regimes , regardless of who is actually behind it all.

Both sides were fighting for democracy, justice, and freedom; the Republic wanted to preserve them, the Seps wanted to bring them back to the corrupt Republic. Sidious manipulated both sides into war, before taking all the power, destroying both sides, and creating the Empire. To echo what @DarkHelmet1138 said, the true enemy of the GR was the Empire within.

• Easy. Just use the Lord Vader appearance in the JMK event.
  • Jo0121
    137 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Anakin only became Lord Vader in episode 3. He didn't do much to become a Galactic Legend.

Unlike SEE, SLKR and JML?