Credit Cap

Prev1
My credits just turned red. When I click on it, I get a message that states I've reached the cap and I cannot accumulate anymore. Apparently the cap is 2,147,483,647 credits exactly. Oddly specific.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited July 2021
    Wiki that numbers it has an article explaining it, and its usage in gaming.

It's the largest signed number in a 32 bit register.
  • Mohrg
    197 posts Member
    Looks like you are buying all the mods for credits in the store for a while then :smile:
    I wonder if gear has a similar limit?
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

Impossible, 24 is the largest number.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    This anti-hoarding feature is disgusting. First conquest now this. We need more content!
  • Antario wrote: »
    This anti-hoarding feature is disgusting. First conquest now this. We need more content!

I think this was probably just putting in a really high number as the limit that they never expected to be reached. Not an anti hoarding mechanism.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    Mohrg wrote: »
    Looks like you are buying all the mods for credits in the store for a while then :smile:

Probably, but I don't know how you would ever get a single piece of gear to 2B.
    Antario wrote: »

I think this was probably just putting in a really high number as the limit that they never expected to be reached. Not an anti hoarding mechanism.

No, they didn't put that number in. They just chose that number type as the storage type for that value. The type itself only allows the number to go that high. Assuming the data is stored in an SQL database, they would have needed to choose bigint instead of int, and that's just not necessary for what they intended.
  • StarSon wrote: »
    Mohrg wrote: »

Probably, but I don't know how you would ever get a single piece of gear to 2B.
    Antario wrote: »

No, they didn't put that number in. They just chose that number type as the storage type for that value. The type itself only allows the number to go that high. Assuming the data is stored in an SQL database, they would have needed to choose bigint instead of int, and that's just not necessary for what they intended.

I'll take your word for it. I'm definitely not an expert in programming. But my point is it wasn't an intentional anti hoarding mechanism.
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    Time to raise level cap.
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    Time to raise level cap.

Maybe that would make secrets and shadows beatable.

But if they did that there likely would be an additional nee currency needed as an anti hoarding mechanism.
  • WD_40
    113 posts Member
    Dragonhoff wrote: »
    My credits just turned red. When I click on it, I get a message that states I've reached the cap and I cannot accumulate anymore. Apparently the cap is 2,147,483,647 credits exactly. Oddly specific.

In any event, you’re at the point in the game, and with the amount of credits you have, where cap or no cap it doesn’t really make a difference to your gameplay. Unless of course it’s causing bugs or glitches
  • From a practical standpoint you can reduce the credits below the cap. Buying mods, starring any characters that are ready for promotion, ect.. Even at endgame, it's possible to use them faster than you earn them.
  • Nice that someone reached an absurd milestone in the game again.
    Would be an ideal opportunity for a title or portrait from the devs.
  • Kyno wrote: »

Yep, it’s 2^31 - 1.

It’s a Mersenne Prime, for those who are of a numerical bent.
  • Artumas
    324 posts Member
    Also known as "The Max Int value", it's a very common value in gaming, with a pretty notable game where's it's very commonly seen being Minecraft. (modded, specifically) There's very few games where values larger than that need to be used for really anything, so it's not really an issue almost anywhere.

It's basically a more modernized version of the old 255/256 cap, which is what caused the good ol' missingno glitch in old pokemon games, for example. (due to only 151/255 being used, there was 104ish "glitch" values with little to no data present that when accessed simply showed the value/name of "missing number", or Missing No.)

The gist of it though is that it's a totally normal value found more on the coding side of most games if there's not a lower cap enforced - Such as the good ol' 64, 99, 100, 999 and 9999 caps often seen in gaming. Going past it requires using a completely different (and generally "less optimized" to simplify it) system on the back end for storing data, etc. so you often don't really see much of anything using larger values.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

Should have gone with an unsigned integer, shouldn't they. Not like we're allowed to go negative. :p
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Should have gone with an unsigned integer, shouldn't they. Not like we're allowed to go negative. :p

Negative Credits game mode confirmed.
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    crzydroid wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Negative Credits game mode confirmed.

Credits on credit?
  • pm CG to send me half your credits :)
  • FofoBett
    135 posts Member
    Yep, I used to play a mmporg years ago and we found a bug to get extra credits. This was exactly the same cridt limit in that - it brings back a few good memories of that old game.
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    Time to start trickling down that wealth to the less fortunate, Bill Gates
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    For the record, there is a cap at the other end of the spectrum as well. I’ve reached it several times.
  • Lol you are a GL hoarder!!!#
  • SiCaNi987 wrote: »
    Lol you are a GL hoarder!!!#

And the late night snipe for the worst necro of the week goes to...
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    That number is big innit
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Back when I use to play games like RuneScape they had the same cap number for number