Bad Batch S1:E12 Chat (SPOILERS)

Prev1
Pariah_Anchorite
836 posts Member
edited July 2021
Ok… I’ll start.

Better episode. Like the tie-together with Rebels, but story was meh. Glad there is more heat with Crosshair.

I hope the new clone gets more back-up with his movement against the empire. Seems like a good character

Replies

• Wonder what’s wrong with their chips(clones who threw down their blasters), or if they’re ever going to explain why the clones all of a sudden lost their personalities. Now that Crosshair is going to be hunting the Dad Batch, things may get interesting again. I kinda figured it would tie clone wars in with rebels.
  • Speaking of spoilers.

I told a friend that I was disappointed the way that Omega killing Crosshair happened, with no foreshadowing at all, then said
    "OOOPS. Have you seen it yet? I should shut up."

I'm waiting on pins & needles for him to get back to me.
  • Lol!

I think Howzer initially obeyed order 66, took a hit, and got sense knocked into him. Like Rex against Asoka. I don’t understand the rest of the clones unless now the chips are obsolete and they back to making their own decisions. Which makes Crosshair more a sociopath than a soldier, even for the Empire.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    Lol!

I think Howzer initially obeyed order 66, took a hit, and got sense knocked into him. Like Rex against Asoka. I don’t understand the rest of the clones unless now the chips are obsolete and they back to making their own decisions. Which makes Crosshair more a sociopath than a soldier, even for the Empire.

Rex had his chip removed. I don’t think Howzer did.
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    My guess is the reason the Empire switched to stormtroopers is because the clones were able to resist the chip eventually. (As we saw with Howzer and some of the other clones).

But the episode was good, and it’s interesting to see how the rest of the season will go, now that Crosshair’s hunting them now.

• I think Howzer and his men are used to show the Clones normal personalities remaining despite Order 66, which we might see later with Crosshair, and may be why the Empire ends up phasing them out and replacing them with loyal stormtroopers
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    edited July 2021
    Talk about Episode 12 here
  • @Ultra: Um... we are? The fate of Howzer is central to ep 12. I'm the only one who went partially off topic, but the joke was still a joke about what (doesn't) happen in ep12.
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Um... we are? The fate of Howzer is central to ep 12. I'm the only one who went partially off topic, but the joke was still a joke about what (doesn't) happen in ep12.

Tried to merge it with me being the OP but i don't know how to do that

Didn't realize it looks like I walked in here trying to enforce the rules lol

just ignore my post and continue discussing
  • This episode has my favorite quote of the show so far, "children often overreact" - Tech.
    Loved the episode, hope we get to see what happens to Howzer.
  • @Ultra

Cool. Relieved it was a misunderstanding. I completely get now how your post, if it had been the OP would have sounded completely different. Now I'm having a little laugh. Hope you have a good weekend.

Back to the topic:

So this has been a two episode excursion into the backstory of Hera (and thus Rebels), but I found thinking back on it that it made a lot of sense. Omega needed another child in the picture. It is the nature of adults that we don't take advice from children easily, and the nature of children to assume that adults know what they're doing (and isn't THAT a laugh). If we were going to get a situation where Omega "leads" the Bad Batch, she had to be in a situation where she believed someone needed her help. But she wouldn't easily assume that an adult needed her help. She might participate with the Bad Batch in helping adults, but she wouldn't take the lead.

So a child was necessary & Hera was the right age. They could have created a new child character, but as much as some have thought of this as an excursion away from BB, I think that if they created a new child it would have been just as big a distraction.

I'm down with this episode (and the last one), & interested to see how the Howzer situation plays out.
  • nottenst
    682 posts Member
    A good episode and it brings the Bad Batch more into joining the rebels.

The Empire, though, just were not acting in their best interest in these two episodes. They really needed to play the slow game in Ryloth and not immediately start alienating the populace.
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    In reference to why Crosshairs isn’t resisting like the other clones, remember that he initially did and the empire had his chip cranked up to 11. You can’t really compare his behavior to anyone else’s.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    Ltswb1 wrote: »
    In reference to why Crosshairs isn’t resisting like the other clones, remember that he initially did and the empire had his chip cranked up to 11. You can’t really compare his behavior to anyone else’s.

It does seem that the clones are gaining the ability to resist the chips’ effects, Crosshair’s chip will probably take more time to wear off.

• My theory is the Empire will use the bad batch to clone their stormtroopers but since Crosshair is not part of the squad, that will create stormtroopers who doesnt know how to aim and have terrible accuracy
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    My theory is the Empire will use the bad batch to clone their stormtroopers but since Crosshair is not part of the squad, that will create stormtroopers who doesnt know how to aim and have terrible accuracy

The stormtroopers were recruits, not clones (most of them, at least).

• Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    The reason the troopers threw down their weapons is because order 66 was specifically for the jedi. All other aspects of their personality still remain including some humanity we saw throughout the clone wars
  • I agree that Order 66 was specifically for the Jedi, but I think that we should remember that this is an "inhibitor chip" not an "Order 66 chip".

Some aspects of their personality still remain, but not ALL aspects of their personality. It's more complicated than that.
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    I agree that Order 66 was specifically for the Jedi, but I think that we should remember that this is an "inhibitor chip" not an "Order 66 chip".

Some aspects of their personality still remain, but not ALL aspects of their personality. It's more complicated than that.

But think of it, they had their chips the entirety of the clone wars. It didn’t affect them any other way. Order 66 was meant to instill the idea of jedi as absolute traitors against the republic. Idk, I think the majority is that it’s mostly against the jedi, and when cranked up can be absolute loyalty to the empire, like with crosshair.
  • I feel like the difference in how clones are acting is based on how they are seeing the new empire.

If they see it as a continuation of the republic, then "good soldiers follow orders".

Howser, and a bunch of the clones with him, might be interpreting their loyalty to the republic as loyalty to the ideals and protection of its citizens. They can't see the same republic in the way the empire is treating people.

So with their point of view, they are still acting as good soldiers of the republic. Just not good soldiers of the empire.

So the inhibitor chip is still keeping them loyal. Just not loyal to the empire.
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Yeah, the jedi were branded as traitors to the republic, and Howzer's personality shows that they are still fighting the good fight, and they were led to believe that the Jedi were traitors to the republic

aside from what they were told and believe, I think order 66 and certain orders they have no control with disobeying

I think they can disobey imperial chain to a degree, but if someone like the emperor gives an order, the inhibitor chips overrides personality and they have no choice but to comply
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Yeah, the jedi were branded as traitors to the republic, and Howzer's personality shows that they are still fighting the good fight, and they were led to believe that the Jedi were traitors to the republic

aside from what they were told and believe, I think order 66 and certain orders they have no control with disobeying

I think they can disobey imperial chain to a degree, but if someone like the emperor gives an order, the inhibitor chips overrides personality and they have no choice but to comply

They would have to use one of the contingency orders for the inhibitor chip to kick in. In a comic, order 66 was used against the inquisitors by Jedi remnants who didn't have their lightsabers in hand. The chips have muddied the water way too much imho. From the movies to the final season of Clone Wars and even in Bad Batch, the activation of the chip had a more broad effect on the clones. We see Cody refer to Palps as "My Lord" and not Chancellor. In Bad Batch it seemingly took away the clones personality. Maybe Howzer is a way to correct this or show that some clones are mentally stronger than their brothers? I think a lot more explaining needs to be done to clarify the chip and how it works.
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    I do think the show will delve deeper into this, and whatever the reason is, might also explain why they stopped using clones (assuming there is another reason aside from costs)
    I do think the show will delve deeper into this, and whatever the reason is, might also explain why they stopped using clones (assuming there is another reason aside from costs)

Here's hoping the old canon comes back. Clone rebellion designed by the Kaminoans.

Here's hoping the old canon comes back. Clone rebellion designed by the Kaminoans.

That's a whole 'nother level of spoiler there chap.
  • Chucko_marek
    3817 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Ultra wrote: »

How so? Game is ancient, it’s not canon anymore. There has to be a statute of limitations on spoilers.
  • The lord of the rings books were 50 years old when the movies came out. Doesn't mean you can't spoil a storyline for someone unfamiliar with it.
  • The lord of the rings books were 50 years old when the movies came out. Doesn't mean you can't spoil a storyline for someone unfamiliar with it.

Go after CG for spoiling KotOR 2 with the sith raid. Ruined it for me. Gimme a break, if we were to actually hold true to an honest no spoilers guideline, we wouldn't be able to talk about anything at all. Honestly, if one hasn't played the original battlefront 2 after 16 years, it's on them.
  • That's a whole 'nother level of spoiler there chap.

"In the content that comes out over the next 3 years, I hope there's a rebellion of the clones against the empire," is not a spoiler.

"I just watched season 2 of Bad Batch and was happy to see the clones rebel against the empire," is a spoiler.

See the difference?
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »

It’s not a spoiler. Saying what happened in the season finale of bad batch before it comes out is a spoiler. Revealing the ending of RoS the day it comes out is a spoiler. Hoping that something from old books and canon shows up in the future is not a spoiler