What Would a f2p Pay For

Prev1345
Ragnarok_COTF
1771 posts Member
edited July 2021
The 10M GP thread got me thinking, what content, perks, etc would get the f2p ranks (myself included) to open their wallets and support the game financially?

My first thought is arena. I am so sick of the grind, yadda yadda yadda. I get 850 net crystals per day from arena. About 30 days per month, that's 25,500 per month. In vaults, that's about $160 per month.

Obviously, I'm not willing to pony up $160 per month to forego arena. While I hate it, it does serve other purposes: experience fighting; exposure to the new meta; make connections for guilds, GAC practice, etc. However, I would definitely give $50 per month (maybe $100) to get 1k crystals and arena store currency per day for nothing, remove my arena payout rewards, and put me in a guild-level "shard" with no battle cooldown timer or attempts limit where I can practice at will with my guildmates.

This is obviously a pipe dream. Whales (and thus, CG) value the crystals alone for more than I'm offering. But I am curious what my fellow f2p would be willing to spend to support this game and what would need to be offered in return. And if the answer is $0 no matter what, you had best not be complaining about whales :P

EDIT: Also, a complete retraction of the July RA. If it doesn't get me to quit completely, it just pit an AU of Beskar between CG and my wallet :cry:
Post edited by Ragnarok_COTF on

Replies

• Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    When I see deals like that core gear bundle for $5 or $10 that gives the 50 kyro’s, guns, cuffs, etc I feel that’s a good deal. It’s a fair amount of gear for the price point.

When they offer the 50% extra crystals for the packs I’ll go after those. So when they used to offer 50% extra on the vaults, I scooped it up because why not?

If they ran some deals on the shards for new characters, something say like decreased crystal costs for the shard packs on bad batch characters after they become F2P (750 crystals instead of 1299) id buy some crystals for that.

What my biggest issue is the lack of monthly crystal subscription. The $9.99 for the 2800 crystals. They ripped it away for no reason and promised to replace it with something similar…that was a few years ago. I always bought that so they had a guaranteed $10 a month in revenue from me and since I was already spending $10, I figured, what’s another $15 for a nice $25. What’s another $25 for a round $50?

Over time the deals have just gotten worse and worse though. I’m less inclined to spend because of their gradual price point increases
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Hyperdrive Bundle

it was such a steal, that it converted me into becoming a P2P
  • Crayons
    565 posts Member
    I buy the odd Crystal pack. It’s the only thing of value to a ftp player.

All the other 20 buck packs don’t give enough back for the money as 20 bucks on crystals, when you’re mostly ftp
  • “Mostly” ftp?

Am I mostly a vegetarian if I only occasionally eat a medium-rare ribeye?
  • “Mostly” ftp?

Lol, but please don't turn this into an argument over the semantics of f2p forever, f2p recently, f2p most of the time, minnow, dolphin, etc.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Hyperdrive Bundle

I have seriously considered opening the wallet for that many times in the past. The problem is, as more and more time passes, the further and further my valuation of it drifts from $100.
  • “Mostly” ftp?

Lol, but please don't turn this into an argument over the semantics of f2p forever, f2p recently, f2p most of the time, minnow, dolphin, etc.
    I won’t.

I like the gear packs, as someone else mentioned. The ones with 3 x 32% chance of hitting decent rewards and 4% chance of hitting all the rewards are probably the one I’m tempted by most.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    When I see deals like that core gear bundle for $5 or $10 that gives the 50 kyro’s, guns, cuffs, etc I feel that’s a good deal. It’s a fair amount of gear for the price point.

When they offer the 50% extra crystals for the packs I’ll go after those. So when they used to offer 50% extra on the vaults, I scooped it up because why not?

If they ran some deals on the shards for new characters, something say like decreased crystal costs for the shard packs on bad batch characters after they become F2P (750 crystals instead of 1299) id buy some crystals for that.

What my biggest issue is the lack of monthly crystal subscription. The $9.99 for the 2800 crystals. They ripped it away for no reason and promised to replace it with something similar…

Did they?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

What my biggest issue is the lack of monthly crystal subscription. The $9.99 for the 2800 crystals. They ripped it away for no reason and promised to replace it with something similar…

Did they?

Yes they did.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member

Did they?

Yes they did.

If you could please link to it I'd appreciate it, friend.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Did they?

Yes they did.

I dont have a link, but while being a little hyperbolic about it being removed and not replaced as they said they were looking at, they are correct.
  • An overall reduction in prices. I guess I’m too old school on video games where you buy the game for $50 and play it as much as you like. I even didn’t mind paying the $15 a month for WoW because I could justify the price as saving money vs going to a bar or movie theater.

I can’t justify the costs of this game in my head as there are so many other things I’d rather do with that same amount of money. I’ve heard that each marquee toon cost $300-$400 just to get to 7* and make them useable (gear, mods, zetas). So a team like bad batch would cost up to $2000. For the amount of enjoyment I’d get out of that team, I might be willing to pay $50 for the team at 7* and at least R5. So I guess I’ll never spend on the game lol.
  • th3evo
    358 posts Member

Did they?

Yes they did.

Just search for Daily Crystal Booster if you want to find out more but I did some digging for you.
    Introduction: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/7259/daily-crystal-booster-packs-returning
    Removal: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/129162/version-update-9-8-28-2017
    DAILY CRYSTAL BOOSTER SIGNS OFF

We are removing the Daily Crystal Booster from the Store effective 8/29/2017 for Android and iPhone users. Any Daily Crystal Boosters purchased before 8/29 will yield their full 21 days of crystals. We are reviewing alternative formulations of the booster pack and hope to bring it back in the future.
    Hyperdrive Bundle

But what makes the hyperdrive bundle worth it for a not-new player? I get how it’s amazing for brand new players, but what about someone who’s already been playing this game for a long time?
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    th3evo wrote: »

Did they?

Yes they did.

Just search for Daily Crystal Booster if you want to find out more but I did some digging for you.
    Introduction: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/7259/daily-crystal-booster-packs-returning
    Removal: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/129162/version-update-9-8-28-2017

We are removing the Daily Crystal Booster from the Store effective 8/29/2017 for Android and iPhone users. Any Daily Crystal Boosters purchased before 8/29 will yield their full 21 days of crystals. We are reviewing alternative formulations of the booster pack and hope to bring it back in the future.

So they promised nothing. Thank you.
  • Mohrg
    197 posts Member
    Disposable income?
    better quality of life that they can afford to spend on pixels?
    Bear in mind that disposable income in the US tends to be high and prices relatively low.
    I'm not F2P as I do the google surveys and spend that (does that count?) but I haven't had large amounts of disposable income historically (at one point had to use food banks) now i do but it is so ingrained that anything the I don't need to have is a waste.
  • th3evo
    358 posts Member

Did they?

Yes they did.

I don't think they ever promise anything. They are usually very careful about the words they use.
    After some more digging I found (probably) the latest response about the topic.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/163161/swgoh-q-amp-a-w-producers-3-17-18
    [QUESTION: DarthJJ] Is the daily crystal booster ever going to be brought back or replaced? If so, when? And if it will be replaced, what will replace it?

[CVG] As we had said at the time the 21 day crystal offer needed to be suspended, we had hoped to be able to keep it in the game but were not able to due to factors beyond our control. Those factors remain beyond our control. I know it's frustrating when we can't provide more details, but we do not ever want to point the finger at a party or parties other than ourselves. That said, we are working on options which might bring back something similar. No guarantee that we will be able to do so at this time.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Ultra wrote: »
    Hyperdrive Bundle

But what makes the hyperdrive bundle worth it for a not-new player? I get how it’s amazing for brand new players, but what about someone who’s already been playing this game for a long time?

The resources (gear, crystals, currency for stores + achievements related to it)

I'd buy it again if it was offered

I had all the toons at 7 stars already except for Piett, when I purchased the bundle, but i still felt like i got my money's worth from the resources alone
    Hyperdrive Bundle

The resources (gear, crystals, currency for stores + achievements related to it)

I had all the toons at 7 stars already except for Piett, when I purchased the bundle, but i still felt like i got my money's worth from the resources alone

I think this is the biggest divide between your typical spender and me. To me, for $100 in just resources, I'd need quite a bit more than what is offered. I'd rather spend $ as a subscription to premium content/features (to support dev costs) than for some gear that I can farm in a couple weeks.
    Hyperdrive Bundle

I think this is the biggest divide between your typical spender and me. To me, for $100 in just resources, I'd need quite a bit more than what is offered. I'd rather spend $ as a subscription to premium content/features (to support dev costs) than for some gear that I can farm in a couple weeks.

For me, I question “how many gear levels on how many toons does this buy?”

I agree, I’d rather buy a subscription than pay like this.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Hyperdrive Bundle

i found being able to skip the farm valuable but to each his own

I used to be against spending $100 too since its asking for a lot

Something i would recommend to everyone if they are looking into doing smaller purchases is the gear pack that grants you kyros, stun cuffs, guns, carbs, gold balls for $4.99 or $9.99

that is worth the price no matter what stage of the game you are on, and its affordable too
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member

Did they?

Yes they did.

I don't think they ever promise anything. They are usually very careful about the words they use.
    After some more digging I found (probably) the latest response about the topic.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/163161/swgoh-q-amp-a-w-producers-3-17-18
    [QUESTION: DarthJJ] Is the daily crystal booster ever going to be brought back or replaced? If so, when? And if it will be replaced, what will replace it?

[CVG] As we had said at the time the 21 day crystal offer needed to be suspended, we had hoped to be able to keep it in the game but were not able to due to factors beyond our control. Those factors remain beyond our control. I know it's frustrating when we can't provide more details, but we do not ever want to point the finger at a party or parties other than ourselves. That said, we are working on options which might bring back something similar. No guarantee that we will be able to do so at this time.

My point exactly. Thank you.
  • Zumwan
    354 posts Member
    Mohrg wrote: »
    I'm not F2P as I do the google surveys and spend that (does that count?)

I'm also a F2P player that answers the surveys and buys the occasional crystal pack from what I get from that. My problem is that everything in the game is really expensive. How much would you have to spend to get what you get through normal play in a week (assuming I'm not and will never be at the top 100 of my arena shard)? Probably quite a lot. $15 for a Relic Signal pack that won't even allow me to advance 1 relic level of 1 character?

• “Mostly” ftp?

I won’t.

I like the gear packs, as someone else mentioned. The ones with 3 x 32% chance of hitting decent rewards and 4% chance of hitting all the rewards are probably the one I’m tempted by most.

I do too but the ones the cost crystals.

I mean in that signal one that's about to finish I netted 30/50/75 of the rare signal data. 75 of that blue signal data alone was worth 1900 crystals
  • Mohrg wrote: »
    Disposable income?
    better quality of life that they can afford to spend on pixels?
    Bear in mind that disposable income in the US tends to be high and prices relatively low.
    I'm not F2P as I do the google surveys and spend that (does that count?) but I haven't had large amounts of disposable income historically (at one point had to use food banks) now i do but it is so ingrained that anything the I don't need to have is a waste.

What surveys? What do you mean with that?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Zumwan wrote: »
    Mohrg wrote: »
    I'm not F2P as I do the google surveys and spend that (does that count?)

I'm also a F2P player that answers the surveys and buys the occasional crystal pack from what I get from that. My problem is that everything in the game is really expensive. How much would you have to spend to get what you get through normal play in a week (assuming I'm not and will never be at the top 100 of my arena shard)? Probably quite a lot. $15 for a Relic Signal pack that won't even allow me to advance 1 relic level of 1 character?

1 week, probably less than you would expect.
  • V01D
    117 posts Member

What surveys? What do you mean with that?

If you have an android phone then you can download the Google Opinion Rewards app. They send you short 1 - 5 question surveys that give you Google Play credit.