F2P player returning after long hiatus and looking for guidance

Jbutters
42 posts Member
edited July 2021
I see this is a reoccurring theme but appreciate any guidance folks can provide. I was a mostly FTP with occasional pack purchases mixed in. I was very active, in a competitive guild and was pretty high up in Arena (top 25-30ish but both have dropped to the 400s). Most of my characters were maxed out. I left around the time guild v guild tournaments were going on strong so I can only imagine how many nerfs, new characters and mod upgrades I've missed. I've opened the game back up and excited to see new Legendary events and I'm sure OP characters to farm.

Please take a look at my squad ( https://swgoh.gg/p/528257893/ ) and let me know your thoughts on suggested next steps? Looking to be competitive in arena, farm the stronger characters / mods and build up my strength to join a respectable guild.

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Jbutters on

Replies

• LordGrahck
    344 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Greetings and Welcome back.

My first piece of advice is getting into a decent guild. After that, you have a couple of different options. Given what I'm seeing here, it looks like you have a variety of different options.

1) Farm for Darth Revan and Malak.

You already have a solid JKR team, and you're close to getting the team ready to unlock Darth Revan. It wouldn't take much more effort to complete that as your first step. Once you have Darth Revan up and going, go for Malak.

2) Finish Padme farm and Farm for GAS.

You have Padme at 6 stars, and a fair deal of the required toons for GAS at g11/12. It seems reasonable to go straight for GAS. You need relic Padme anyways for him, so you might as well go all the way.

3) Farm for JKL.

This is another one you have a lot of progress towards completing. Most of the needed toons for JKL are at g11/12. The only one you have to farm shards for is Captain Han. With double drops, that shouldn't take long.

4) Pick a GL to farm.

At first glance, you should be able to get the requirements for SLKR, GL Rey, or SEE finished with relative ease. You have most of the hard part done for SLKR already with all the g12 First Order toons you have. He's also one of the easier GLs to get.

5) Develope what you have.

One simple place to begin is to work on what you already have going and get a few of your teams to relic levels, such as your JKR team and your CLS team.

As already stated, you have several options before you. It's all about where you want to go with your account. These are just the ones I saw with a cursory glance at your account. I'm sure there are other options that other veteran players might find with a good look into your account.

Good Luck
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Great advice above. If you have any resources left for some side projects then farming Geonosian Brood Alpha (GBA) and gearing your geonosians enough for the Wat mission in Separatist Might TB may help you get into a decent guild. If you aim for a guild doing Republic Offensive TB you could farm Chewpio to upgrade your CLS team - Padme is already on the list above.
  • Agree with the advice above, but here is how I would order it.

Big Project: JKL & JML as your first GL (and sub-GL):
    • You have some of the hardest parts of that farm already (Wampa, Hoda, ROLO, C3PO)
    • Hardest remaining requirement will be getting Han's Falcon to where it needs to be, which means you need to farm Hounds Tooth, Xanadu Blood and IG-2000 to 7* and those could be longish farms

1. CLS Rebels team I think should be your first big non-GL team. You have 4 of the core 7* and g12 already, so farm Chewpio (just got accelerated drops) and work on taking that team to relics and they will be a force to help you in Arena until you get a GL
    2. Farm GBA to 7* and then work up your Geos to g12 so you can get easily complete the Wat Tambor mission and get into a great guild
    3. Darth Revan and Malak is a great option, but you are closer to the full CLS team which is just as potent and then will lead perfectly into JML as a GL

Some other characters you should consider taking to relic just to help out in various game modes:
    1. Vader r5 or r7
    2. JKA r5 or r7
    3. JKR / Jolee

How much GET1 and GET2 currency do you currently have? We'll want to see how we can build out the best fleet to help get more income there. Looking at your current fleet status, you have a lot of ships but not really a fully synergized fleet. So depending where you are on GET2 currency, we can see if you can speed rush to a meta capital ship, or if we go for an interim direction.
  • Thanks for all the advice! Its good that all my efforts didn't go to waste and I can get back into contention with some decent work.
  • Jbutters
    42 posts Member
    edited July 2021

How much GET1 and GET2 currency do you currently have? We'll want to see how we can build out the best fleet to help get more income there. Looking at your current fleet status, you have a lot of ships but not really a fully synergized fleet. So depending where you are on GET2 currency, we can see if you can speed rush to a meta capital ship, or if we go for an interim direction.

I am not currently in a guild so I can't see my GET currencies but I was pretty consistently in the top 10 each raid so I suspect I should still have a decent amount. As far as my other currencies I still have about 3500 crystals and enough credits to max out another 6 newly unlocked characters to 85. The first thing I did was start upgrading Genosians to get Padme but didn't want to do too much before getting guidance.

Edit: I just hopped into a guild and saw I only have 1300 and 1700 guild currency
    Post edited by Jbutters on
  • Okay, well the good news is if you go for JML, then you already have the characters from the GET1 currency so is not an issue there. Bad news is you're pretty far off from a GET2 capital ship, so it might not make sense to build a GR or Mal/Geo fleet right now, but instead go straight for a Rebel fleet. The good news there is that by going for JML you will have to relic most of those pilots anyway (and you have a good chunk of the ships) so it will be quite good, downside is you really need a fully operational Bistan's Uwing with g12 or g13 pilots which could distract from some other farms (though since most of your characters are g12 already maybe it won't actually since they won't really be needing carbantis anymore), and Rebel fleet won't hold as well on defense, but on offense you can still climb to the top of shards.

So, for JKL here are the requirements:
    Requires the following characters, all at G13 Relic 3:
    C-3PO
    Darth Vader
    Chewbacca
    Wampa
    Rebel Officer Leia Organa
    Lando Calrissian
    Captain Han Solo
    Commander Luke Skywalker
    Hermit Yoda
    The following ships are required
    Han's Millennium Falcon
    Wedge Antilles's X-Wing

And JML reqs
    Mon Mothma Relic 5
    Threepio & Chewie Relic 5
    Obi Wan Kenobi (Old Ben) Relic 5
    Rey (Jedi Training) Relic 7
    C-3PO Relic 5
    R2D2 Relic 7
    Han Solo Relic 6
    Chewbacca Relic 6
    Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker Relic 7
    Rebel Y-Wing 6* Star
    Wedge Antilles Relic 3
    Biggs Darklighter Relic 3
    Princess Leia Relic 3
    Lando Carissian Relic 5
    Hermit Yoda Relic 5

Character and Ship shards you should be farming now
    1. Chewpio
    2. Mon Mothma (single shard drop)
    3. Hounds Tooth
    4. Xanadu Blood
    5. IG-2000
    6. Rebel Y-Wing (fleet node)
    7. Captain Han Solo (cantina)

It's not actually that bad, 5 hard nodes (but again since you have most g12 already you don't need much gear from normal energy), 1 fleet node (which means you can put the rest of your fleet energy (3x refreshes a day) into farming g13 gear, and 1 cantina node (and once you finish CHOLO, and maybe before, all your cantina energy needs to go into farming signal data as you will need so much of it.

You can use this link below to put in all the characters and the required relic levels above, and it will tell you what gear / signal data is required to get them there based on your ally code knowing what gear level they are currently at. It won't tell you how much of the materials you have on hand, so you'll have to look manually, but at least you'll know what you are targeting

https://gear.swgohevents.com/

Finally a suggestion on what order I would take those characters to relic:
    1. Vader to r5 (even though only needed r3)
    2. CLS to r7
    3. Chewbacca & Han (raid) to r6
    4. C3PO r3 for now
    5. Chewpio to relic as soon as you finish the farm but will be a ways off
    6. Rest of JKL required toons to r3 and then work on the JML reqs
  • This is awesome! Thanks so much for all of the detailed guidance. It has helped me decide on a 3 prong approach.

1) JKL / JML - I have added the characters and ships you recommended for farming to my favorites so I can build them up to aim for JKL and JML. I'm focused on Chewpio first which should help me become more competitive in Arena with my CLS team. Luckily, the shard seems somewhat stale so I won't drop lower than 450 while I am working on them.

2) GAS - Yesterday I was able to 7 star Padme so I've also added the extra characters and items I need for GAS to my to do list (Mostly just gearing up toons and farming Anakin's ship).

3) Genosians - I joined a solid guild so the the last thing I am working is just strengthening my Genosians (They were all already 7 star and G8 or above) for the raid and farming Brood Alpha.

This gives me alot to work on but given my base and some good guild positions I should be able to move along quickly. Will pop back in here with my progress.
  • @Jbutters

Just be careful trying to do both JKL/JML and GAS at the same time. The main reason is that the shards you are missing for GAS are 3 fleet nodes (Eta-2, Shaak-Ti & B1) and that means fleet energy taken away from farming all the g13 gear you need from fleet for your other characters.

You could flip the order if you want, but really I think going for JKL/JML will be better overall as it gives you a GL and mini-GL, plus full CLS team, plus can build a Mon Mothma team.

For GAS you are still going to be waiting some months on the GET1 currency even if you unlocked him in 2 months from now.

You could see how it goes doing those 3 fleet farms + the rest on gear, see if you are getting enough and if not then just farm only Eta-2 and leave Shaak & B1 for later.
  • Good point. I didn’t realize that the G13 items were from fleet energy. Just starting with Vader and CLS alone there are a lot of items to stock up on. The ETA-2 drops have been pretty slow but Shaak has been decent. I’ve noticed the same with Captain Han and Alpha Brood on cantina. I was getting lots of Brood and hardly any Han so I realized I need to focus on 1 at a time especially with double drops I can power through. Will target G13 for fleet and Han for cantina going forward.
  • Oh and a tip for the g13 gear, focus on farming the 3 pieces on the right side of the character (most come from fleet). The left side pieces you get from raids so just let them come to you as you do events, and then only farm if you completed the right side and are just slightly short.

I'm going to link to this video from Darth Loquitur below which has a good guide for getting a character to relic, and then what to farm to turn gear into relic materials after

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9PIfCC2gWg
  • Jbutters
    42 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Great info, that was really helpful! I did find I was spending energy, credits and shop currencies chasing various items and upgrading random characters. I like his approach of stockpiling and building out one relic character at a time. It gave me some clear guidance on how to spend my currencies. I was definitely about to burn through guild event tokens haha. Nice to get this info right before my first few raids back. Now I see I can purchase the item I need to take Vader to G13 from the championship shop.
  • @Jbutters

Just be careful trying to do both JKL/JML and GAS at the same time. The main reason is that the shards you are missing for GAS are 3 fleet nodes (Eta-2, Shaak-Ti & B1) and that means fleet energy taken away from farming all the g13 gear you need from fleet for your other characters.

I didn't realize I still needed to buy GAS in the guild shop. Guess I will just hoard those tokens for now. Any suggestion on mod energy usage? I have just picking random ones i'm low on in the Level 9 hard battle tables.
  • Yeah here are some general tips on this topic:
    • SAVE ALL GET1 and GET2 currency - This should only be used for characters GAS/Malak (taking them from 5 to 7*) or the GET2 capital ships (Negotiator & Malevolence). Don't spend any of it on gear
    • Shard Shop, Guild Store, Championship store....spend this on gear it's fine, though some is a bit overpriced. I normally buy my carbantis & stun guns from shard and guild store
    • G13 gear can also be purchased from wandering scavengers in Conquest and it's a good value

For Mods, you need to clear the tier 3 of all the "Mod Challenges" which not sure if it is new since you last played. That will give you 5* mods, and those are the ONLY mods you want, you should sell on non-5* mods. From the mod battles, you only need the tier 9 where you can farm the mod slicing materials. For tips on mods, check that same YT channel I posted, he has a lot of videos on it. But you should try to refresh mod energy 3x per day if you can afford it and it's a never ending journey.
  • SerylT2
    146 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Did you see today's announcement? If not then I suggest you gander at that and seriously consider if you even want to return to this mess. If you are going for GAS and JML they just announced they will totally destroy both characters.
  • SerylT2 wrote: »
    Did you see today's announcement? If not then I suggest you gander at that and seriously consider if you even want to return to this mess. If you are going for GAS and JML they just announced they will totally destroy both characters.

That was quite the data dump of changes. Hard to process but looks like JKL won’t be able to counter GL teams anymore. The good news for me is by the time i’m ready to go for JKL I should have all the farming done for JML as well.
  • SerylT2
    146 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Yeah anybody considering on going after GAS or JML first really needs to reconsider and go at SLKR or SEE first instead. This game is going to turn getting a GL as fast as possible now before others in your shard do.

• SerylT2 wrote: »
    Yeah anybody considering on going after GAS or JML first really needs to reconsider and go at SLKR or SEE first instead. This game is going to turn getting a GL as fast as possible now before others in your shard do.
    Yea I’ll continue focusing on JML for now and see what shakes out. I am pretty far along both SLKR and SEE so could switch before investing in GAS.
  • For Mods, you need to clear the tier 3 of all the "Mod Challenges" which not sure if it is new since you last played. That will give you 5* mods, and those are the ONLY mods you want, you should sell on non-5* mods. From the mod battles, you only need the tier 9 where you can farm the mod slicing materials. For tips on mods, check that same YT channel I posted, he has a lot of videos on it. But you should try to refresh mod energy 3x per day if you can afford it and it's a never ending journey.

I was pretty heavy into mods and have quite a few 6 star batches. Selling everything 4* and below will open some space when I am swapping mods. Thanks for the tip.
  • Jbutters
    42 posts Member
    edited July 2021

• You have some of the hardest parts of that farm already (Wampa, Hoda, ROLO, C3PO)
    • Hardest remaining requirement will be getting Han's Falcon to where it needs to be, which means you need to farm Hounds Tooth, Xanadu Blood and IG-2000 to 7* and those could be longish farms

Given the latest update do you still feel this is the best viable path?
  • Jbutters wrote: »

Given the latest update do you still feel this is the best viable path?

Probably yes because you are still the closest to this one and it’s still getting you a GL. With JKL and GAS both getting some adjustments (and both sometimes used on JML squads), I wonder if they will buff JML at all. But going this way still gives toon a great overall roster and is the fastest path to a GL from where you are now