Potential CAT AI changes …

Replies

• TVF
    36518 posts Member
    fajha_jaba wrote: »
    They are discouraging new to moderate roster players, who are supposed to be the future of the game.

They face other new to moderate roster players in arena, since everyone starts at the same time. Or they face people who paid for an advantage.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    Are memories so short that people don't remember a time without GLs? Or is everyone here new.

AI has always been dumb in SWGOH
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Are memories so short that people don't remember a time without GLs? Or is everyone here new.

Obviously not what I was talking about.

I assume you were referring to power creep with new metas. I've been getting top arena ranks since summer after Traya. This is the biggest power spike I can recall since Traya herself and the first GLs.

I blame myself for going SEE instead of JMK. I figured SEE would counter a Jedi and JMK would be pretty bad on D without KAM. The latter was true, which made me happy enough with my choice, until CAT came out :(

I don't want to overreact. It's early. A reliable counter may be found. In the meantime, I can't believe I feel like I'm the furthest behind I've been in years because I unlocked the wrong 4th GL.
  • DonPuto
    371 posts Member
    There's nothing wrong with anything. Don't change anything. It's good for everyone.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member

I don't want to overreact. It's early. A reliable counter may be found. In the meantime, I can't believe I feel like I'm the furthest behind I've been in years because I unlocked the wrong 4th GL.

Don't be. If you are a Rey owner and unlocked CAT. Then you already have a very reliable counter to JMK+CAT. I went for SEE as 4th as well. No regret.
  • Antario wrote: »

Don't be. If you are a Rey owner and unlocked CAT. Then you already have a very reliable counter to JMK+CAT. I went for SEE as 4th as well. No regret.

Share with the class, please.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Antario wrote: »

Click on the link in my signature.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member

I assume you were referring to power creep with new metas. I've been getting top arena ranks since summer after Traya. This is the biggest power spike I can recall since Traya herself and the first GLs.

I blame myself for going SEE instead of JMK. I figured SEE would counter a Jedi and JMK would be pretty bad on D without KAM. The latter was true, which made me happy enough with my choice, until CAT came out :(

JKR/DR?
  • XKurareX
    478 posts Member
    The real fix would be the use of factions
    > Zombie to actually require a Nightsister as leader to revive
    > Armorer to only give Beskar Armor to Mandalorians (that buff is absolutely unbalanced and will in future anyways do more problems than anything else)
    > Wat Tambor to have full tech strength only with Separatists (or remove them on his death)
  • Kyno wrote: »
    th3evo wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    frackme_21 wrote: »
    In other words, the AI is working correctly, and prioritizing the proper ability. It just so happens that there's a taunt up which she can't go around until JMK has the high ground. Stop making the kits so crazy OP and ridiculous. If you make a character that insta kills on turn 1, you have to accept she might be forced to use it on the "non optimal" toon (ie, not gas)

They will keep attacking the previously taunting toon in soem cases without a taunt, that has been an ongoing issue with the AI. That may be part of what they are looking at, but we dont have details at this time.

What's wrong with AI attacking a tank that doesn't have taunt? Should AI avoid JML when he isn't taunting?

There is nothing wrong with attacking them, but after a taunt is gone it should go back to random or other priorities they have, and that doesnt always seem to be the case. But as I said I dont have details on what they are looking at, just talking.

I hope you see the fallacy in this statement yourself: "doesn't always seem to be the case", seems quite random to me 😉
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    XKurareX wrote: »
    > Armorer to only give Beskar Armor to Mandalorians (that buff is absolutely unbalanced and will in future anyways do more problems than anything else)
    > Wat Tambor to have full tech strength only with Separatists (or remove them on his death)

As if JML needed that kind of a kick...
  • th3evo
    358 posts Member
    In other words, the AI is working correctly, and prioritizing the proper ability. It just so happens that there's a taunt up which she can't go around until JMK has the high ground. Stop making the kits so crazy OP and ridiculous. If you make a character that insta kills on turn 1, you have to accept she might be forced to use it on the "non optimal" toon (ie, not gas)

They will keep attacking the previously taunting toon in soem cases without a taunt, that has been an ongoing issue with the AI. That may be part of what they are looking at, but we dont have details at this time.

What's wrong with AI attacking a tank that doesn't have taunt? Should AI avoid JML when he isn't taunting?

There is nothing wrong with attacking them, but after a taunt is gone it should go back to random or other priorities they have, and that doesnt always seem to be the case. But as I said I dont have details on what they are looking at, just talking.

After watching several videos back to back and watching CAT closely I think I know what the issue might be but it's a bit different than what the dev post says.
    CAT seems to prefer to attack taunting tanks even when JMK has High Ground and it's not limited to Zombie/Brute. Unless there is a higher priority target - GAS or Thrawn - she usually goes for the taunting tank whether it's Zombie, Brute, Malak or someone else. She doesn't attack them as much when they aren't taunting.
    Antario wrote: »

Click on the link in my signature.

No signature on mobile…

I don’t mind new GLs being stronger than old ones, but I am disappointed that CG didn’t come out and said that the intent is for new GLs to be a real power increase.
    With SEE/JML they straight out said that the intent was similar power, with no new communication my assumption was that JMK+ new DS GL would continue this trend.

That assumption was very wrong as it turns out.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Morgoth01 wrote: »
    No signature on mobile…

The JMK+CAT meta is not unbeatable...and if you have CAT it is actually quite easy to beat (if you have Rey or maybe JML). There might be even non-GL counters out there with CAT.

I think with more and more players unlocking CAT, there will be less and less complaints. Everyone can get CAT. It is just a matter of time. Faster for some people, slower for others, but not nearly as difficult as getting KAM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITld51Fu3s0
  • So two decades ago I started playing Everquest. One of the first raid bosses had death touch as an ability. Every minute iirc someone died picked at random. Guilds learned to overcome it. But it was a terrible design. And the designers learned from that mistake. They learned hard is okay but unfun mechanics aren’t.

I’m sure reliable counters will be found for jmk/cat besides rey/cat slkr/zombie etc but the design is just awful. Perma taunt, granting damage immunity, high assist counts making for a long fight and now a delete character. It’s just not a fun squad to fight. It doesn’t matter if this is balanced, fair, or anything else.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    If all squads were fun to fight there'd be no advantage for those who got the newest ones earlier.
  • A game has to be fun above all else. Failing that simple rule leads to the death of the game.
    However the definition of what is considered fun is very different from person to person.
  • Kill off any intelligent counters, yeah, that’s a great idea. There’s no fun when the top 50 teams in arena are identical. Slkr or SEE with GAB or NS are viable counters as it is, but far from 100%, and JMK/CAT still holds better on def than any other team, so where’s the problem?
    Morgoth01 wrote: »
    No signature on mobile…

The JMK+CAT meta is not unbeatable...and if you have CAT it is actually quite easy to beat (if you have Rey or maybe JML). There might be even non-GL counters out there with CAT.

I think with more and more players unlocking CAT, there will be less and less complaints. Everyone can get CAT. It is just a matter of time. Faster for some people, slower for others, but not nearly as difficult as getting KAM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITld51Fu3s0

Thanks. Haven't tried your team yet, but I will tonight. Did have some success with JKL in CAT slot
    If all squads were fun to fight there'd be no advantage for those who got the newest ones earlier.

You seem to be equating fun and easy. Traya vs JKR was hard, but it was largely predictable, which made it a fun puzzle to solve. JMK is inherently unpredictable, which just makes it frustrating.

That said, I'm sure CG knows which of these is more profitable and chose that path.
  • XKurareX wrote: »

No. You cannot nuke numerous other toons because of the problem of a singular toon's interactions. You fix the singular toon, not everyone else.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member

You seem to be equating fun and easy. Traya vs JKR was hard, but it was largely predictable, which made it a fun puzzle to solve. JMK is inherently unpredictable, which just makes it frustrating.

That said, I'm sure CG knows which of these is more profitable and chose that path.

Different people enjoy different things.
  • YetiYeti
    434 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    I'm sorry, but CG are flat out losing their minds if they think that JMK+Cat needs to be a single iota better. The team is downright broken.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • YetiYeti
    434 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    AI bad on defense is bad for the players

Are you bereft of sense? Bad AI is the only reason why people play this game. If the AI played perfectly, then players would lose a lot more battles. Watch how many players leave when TW/GAC/Arena are dishing up the AI playing perfectly.

That'd be the absolute death knell of the game.
  • YetiYeti
    434 posts Member

Yup. I unlocked Rey as my fourth, instead of hoarding, and expected JMK to be weak on defense like the other new Gls. They said all GLs would be similar power levels, but JMK+Cat is downright broken.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    PoederAmon wrote: »

I hope you see the fallacy in this statement yourself: "doesn't always seem to be the case", seems quite random to me 😉

If that was the way it always worked, yes, but it's not. Random selection as it happens now with the AI, is random. What happens with a taunt is less random, as there seems to be some bias towards the no longer taunting character.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

After watching several videos back to back and watching CAT closely I think I know what the issue might be but it's a bit different than what the dev post says.
    CAT seems to prefer to attack taunting tanks even when JMK has High Ground and it's not limited to Zombie/Brute. Unless there is a higher priority target - GAS or Thrawn - she usually goes for the taunting tank whether it's Zombie, Brute, Malak or someone else. She doesn't attack them as much when they aren't taunting.

Thanks for the breakdown.