[MEGA] Road Ahead: July 2021

Replies

• CG_SBCrumb
    685 posts EA Community Manager
    How do you expect to change the GAC Matchmaking? As someone with 2 GLs won't have any changes against someone with 3 GLs

This was an area that we had specific concerns over and we will definitely be monitoring how this affects match ups in Grand Arena, encounters in Journey Guide events and everywhere else. I have put together a report of top concerns and questions from today's announcement for the team. Many of them are ones I or our testers have already raised.
    Zumwan wrote: »
    So, after reading all the comments here, I wonder if the Devs will ever read them or if they care about our opinion.
    Doja and I have read through every comment in this thread and many others. We have taken the constructive feedback to the team. I understand these changes feel frustrating but we are listening and we had many long conversations about how this impacts players before we decided on this plan.
  • I love that we will get a new maul! Too bad he's a conquest character, since I'm no where near being ready for conquest. I also am pretty excited for Lord Vader. The GL update doesn't effect me since I'm not on that level to fight or have any GLs.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Frostiee wrote: »
    I have a very real concern that I'd like addressed. Will the GAS 501st buffs be active in the Confrontation. The event itself is already extremely rng-dependent and challenging. How are new players expected to beat this now?

This is currently being looked at
  • Moroveus
    147 posts Member
    With the latest Road Ahead, it seems CG is intent on making it impossible for non-GL squads to reliably battle GLs. I have a couple of non-GL squads* that I was looking forward to finishing their relics.

Is there any point in doing that now? Or has the game moved to a point at which the only characters worth taking to relic are the ones you HAVE to take to relic to obtain a GL?

*those squads include Nightsisters, droid Separatists, Bounty Hunters, etc. The only GL I have at this point is Jedi Master Luke, and I was looking to get Sith Eternal next.
  • I’ve literally spent over a grand on this game trying to keep up and ya know what I’m done. Why keep spending money on something repetitive the only fun game mode was gac and tw Tb is a choir conquest is repetitive I get punished for having r8s in my gac matchups some how me having 10 r8s is the equivalent for me to go against someone with 6 gls while I have 3 I NEEDED these counter teams to work for me to be able to compete competitively in gac and tw I’ve spent money on these character wat relic levels mod slices gas , thrawn jkl and then ur going to nerf them??? A YEAR AFTER GLS come out you guys do understand the counter teams ARE THE FUN IN THE GAME RIGHT ? like why? Gls vs gls is cool whatever but like what’s the point of me relicing other fun side teams in the game if it doesn’t even matter anymore ?
  • Fieldgulls
    419 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    How do you expect to change the GAC Matchmaking? As someone with 2 GLs won't have any changes against someone with 3 GLs

This was an area that we had specific concerns over and we will definitely be monitoring how this affects match ups in Grand Arena, encounters in Journey Guide events and everywhere else. I have put together a report of top concerns and questions from today's announcement for the team. Many of them are ones I or our testers have already raised.
    So, after reading all the comments here, I wonder if the Devs will ever read them or if they care about our opinion.
    Doja and I have read through every comment in this thread and many others. We have taken the constructive feedback to the team. I understand these changes feel frustrating but we are listening and we had many long conversations about how this impacts players before we decided on this plan.

I think you guys may need a new plan…
  • Konju
    1142 posts Member
    -I enjoyed the video format.
    -I am happy Maul will be introduced as a Conquest reward.
    -Conquest energy is better IMO to swap disks than Conquest currency.
    -Lord Vader was expected, requirements seem about on par.
    -Executor sounds cool, but requirements seem steep.
    -Non-GL counters getting nerfed is horrid. Excuse of “defense” being trivialized is laughable. Next time you nerf everything will you say that “accuracy” is trivialized? Lmfao
    -R9 being introduced isn’t new (mentioned before), but without alleviating the early gear crunch it is absurd. R8 is already difficult.
    -Nothing positive (or very little, new Kraken with a GL might be thrilled) in this RA for sub-4M GP players.

Mostly, I am concerned about the nerfs being introduced:
    -Will JML (another GL) maintain viability? Obviously, you want the GLs to stand above, but GLs use some of these same characters you are nerfing.
    -Will matchmaking be addressed or is the game going to literally be a GL-check in PvP?

I want to be excited about the game. I want to have fun in the game. I am soon to unlock JMK. After that I have a side project (race) with some friends to work up Bad Batch, but other than us creating our own fun little competition, I have little to no desire to chase your carrots anymore, CG. There’s no real reason to if I’m being honest. The time it takes is ridiculous and if I were to expedite these farms with $, it would be an absolutely absurd amount. No thanks to much of this RA.

I’ll still be here as F2P going forward (much as I have been for 2021), I don’t think the sky is falling, but I don’t know how many others share my sentiment. I think you’ll lose some players and maybe that’s part of what you’re hoping to achieve (been thinking that could be the case for quite some time).
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member

One: Why does it take a forum fire for a response?
    Two: Our feedback rarely results in change (looking at you GL ticket system, Mace rework, relicing bad toons, no ship squad selector, unending loyalty bug, gear economy updates etc etc) so will this time be any different?
    Three: I like lists
    Four: Shut the door
    Five: Crumb/Doja.....we need you on the forum more...way more. Crumb, this is your first response to a player since June 15th. (from what the replies says under your profile)...in the words of Kylo...MOARRR!! Kyno is great and all, but we need to hear from you guys....so rather than us asking questions...Kyno asking you, Kyno getting an answer and Kyno answering the forum, can you or Doja do that instead?
  • Airi
    44 posts Member
    I get the need to indirectly buff GLs. With that, TW absolutely needs a sophisticated matching system for Territory Wars. When GLs were introduced to the game, it made TW extremely difficult for guilds like mine, and here's why.

The image shows a typical match for us. This was a fun event, the opposing guild set most of their GLs in the front row which rendered us practically useless. Meanwhile, they swept across our side of the board leaving everything in flames. Super fun!

These experiences don't encourage players to "really" play the event and why would they. Players set squads on defense and then "~forget" to check back later during the attack phase because why.... the matching is rarely fair. As a result, we set a rule, if players join TW they play TW or they'll be removed from the guild. Now, they do the minimum to avoid removal.

Guild leadership HATES running this event. Guilds like mine hardly stand a chance with the current matching so why push the issue with members. It has become a miserable experience for all.

So by indirectly buffing GL's, it will make it even harder for guilds like mine to defeat a GL. That's ok but improve the matching-making system.

I don't fully understand the match-making system. In my humble opinion, to bring the match-making system to where it needs to be it should consider:
    • GLs without question
    • Key characters that are not GLs like Darth Revan, Malak, General Luke Skywalker, etc...
    • "Accurate" Galactic Power players will be using in the event, maybe add an option to select the characters I will use for the event. Then only those characters join the event.

Then after that is set, look at the characters opted in for:
    • Quality scores (mods and gear) see the second image
    • G11 to G13 characters
    • Relic'd characters
    • Zetas
    • 6E Mods
    • Speed and 100+ offense Mods

Does anyone else have ideas about how to actually improve the match-making system?

Match-up
    u2klnvhrc5bs.jpg

Quality Scores
    1o1act24p4tv.jpg
    Airi | Guild Leader | https://swgoh.gg/u/airi/
    “Do. Or do not. There is no try.” — Yoda
  • DarkHelmet1138
    3884 posts Member
    edited July 2021

I think at the very least, the community needs more of an explanation on why it is necessary to nerf all these characters. These counters have been working as intended for well over a year now and many of us have dropped a ton of resources into them.

I could see maybe making GLs going forward immune to some of the non GL counters but nerfing counters to year old GLs is just devaluing investments.
  • I really don’t know what to say other than I’m disappointed at the direction this game is going. Taking away non-GL counters to GLs is just wrong now it’s just GL vs GL how is that fun or engaging knowing I automatically lose. I was actually thinking about spending some money to get some stuff done but now I have good reason to stay free to play.
  • Janus
    56 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

But you dont think its jumping the shark to say you would gear tuskens over BB?

4>1. 4>3, even if the other Tuskens are in the other groups.

And that's not counting the gear discrepancy. TR's biggest gear reqs to G13 are two stun guns, a gold stun gun, and 100 Kyro.

Hunter passes those reqs by G11.
  • These changes to characters we already invested in for specific purposes are absolute garbage. Why are you looking to just to screw us (free to play, and people who pay money for your game). We have invested into characters developing our accounts in ways we can use it with the resources we have (and money available), and now you just completely Nerf off meta counters. Are you going to revert all characters involved in off meta counters and give us the resources to use as we please so that our matchmaking isn't pooched by your unilateral changes. Now if you aren't solely farming GLs you are wasting your time, because if your opponent in GAC or TW has more GLs than you, all they have to do is set them on D and you have no hope.

If Apple were to release a new phone, slightly better than the last generation, but not quite good enough for people to want to upgrade, then as a result, released a forced software update reducing performance, that would be against consumer protection laws. Don't screw us for the sake of it CG.
  • SerylT2
    146 posts Member
    I agree that if this is the direction the game is going to go, you have to alter the power levels for characters. Galactic Legends need to have such an immense power level that unless you have one there is almost no chance you could get matched up against someone with one. If you want this massive a gap in capability than it that gap needs to be reflected in Galactic power properly.
  • Janus wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

But you dont think its jumping the shark to say you would gear tuskens over BB?

4>1. 4>3, even if the other Tuskens are in the other groups.

And that's not counting the gear discrepancy. TR's biggest gear reqs to G13 are two stun guns, a gold stun gun, and 100 Kyro.

Hunter passes those reqs by G11.

BB requires 2000 Kyros total that have at best a 20% drop rate. This is a joke of biblical proportions and the player base is the butt of that joke.
  • Holy kittens this is bad. Like, atrocious.
  • Rather than nerfing many great characters (GAS & WAT for my roster) that players and guilds have put a lot of work towards, why don't you just give the GLs some Huge boost when there is no other GL on the other side? Since the clear goal with this is to eliminate any chance you can beat a GL without a GL, wouldn't that be the easy solution? You just have to actually admit that you want the GLs unbeatable and everybody already knows that.
  • So I’m certainly concerned about the direction we are heading. I’d be lying if I said I was even neutral to the idea of all these changes and new characters being properly tested. This isn’t meant as a slam just a reality that the number of players far out number the testing team. It’s also likely that some players, certainly not me, probably understand the game better than the testers/devs. Therefore will see issues the dev/testing team didn’t and exploit them.

I’m pretty baffled at the introduction of r9. Unless this relic level doesn’t require r4-8 mats, if it does then the gear crunch just is continuing to worsen. It wasn’t needed this soon either. R9 should have waited until at least q1 of 2022.
  • What about those of us that spent on galalctic legends, then spent on characters to counter other people’s galactic legends. How do dark trooper and gideon’s release not fall under the heading of deceptive advertising? Now that you have our money you tell us “oops, the reason you spent money doesn’t apply anymore”.
  • I just can't even. The last 2 or 3 months have been my favorite in the game. Today, I messaged my guild leader to see if someone can manage my account for a few weeks while I mull things over.

It's all been said. Adding r9 when G8-G13 is still a huge grind, nevermind r0 to r7. Oh yeah! R7 to r8. Nerfing the best non-GL toons either directly or indirectly. And no new "content", just more grinding to chase the new shiny that serves zero PvE purpose whatsoever. No QOL improvements.

This just blows :cry:
  • SotaDraken
    447 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    mostly FTP here (less than $150 lifetime) and just got my 1st GL (JML) and now my investment into JKLS isn't what it was...

That's selling me a Load of Goods and pulling a fast one...

Rethinking getting my GAS into gear XII and above.. The gear crunch is NOT HELPING!

my Relic 3 Darth Vader and WAT are my top 3 squad in Conquest (even AFTER removing the most fun Data Disk in the game) and now even getting the T6 box in Conquest (my only SOURCE OF RELIC 8 MATERIALS AVAILABLE TO ME WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT) is seriously in question.

will the Raid Bosses in Conquest be adjusted like these new changes and now if I don't have at least a couple of GLs, Sector 3 and up are verboten?!

Dumpster fire on us FTP... not cool man.

fix the gear economy..

• Falco3
    60 posts Member
    So I'm now worried the nerfs here also nerf my newly acquired (after a 6 month grind) JML. I run JML with GAS and JKL in arena exclusively against GLs. Will JML still be competitive in arena now that the two damage dealers just got nerfed, or did I just waste a bunch of time and energy? Guess I'll have to wait and see....
  • @Falco3

yep. I run JMLS in Arena constantly, and GAS + JKL are key there.

It's very possible that they've nerfed JMLS vs. other GLs. I worry about it. As a result, offensive minded GLs like GLOWCAT and GLEE become even more important. We'll see how it works out.
  • I'll echo most of the critique previously mentioned.

The video was okay. You both tried waaay too hard to be witty and funny. Don't.
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Good, gooooood! Nerf those pesky Light Side blarks and buff my Dark Side!
    rrg1s5k2xpuh.gif
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Thanks for ruining my favorite character. I guess it’s time to find a new game.
  • What about those who whales and spent 300 on dark trooper not too long ago. Do we get our 300 back because you took what was so appealing about him that made some spend to get him and now have significantly changed it so its not what we paid for.