[MEGA] Road Ahead: July 2021

Replies

• Having now mulled this over for a while I’m still highly sceptical of the changes.

Great points have been raised many times, but a few less often cited concerns are actually making my top list now.

TBs will be harder I’m fairly certain.
    DS P4 special mission with Wat will be harder with the nerf to weapon tech, weapon tech need some sort of buff to compensate (also to compensate in other areas). I don’t know the exact stats, but pretty sure that opposing toons have very high defense.

The same applies for GAS/JKL. I would think their damage output is reduced in LS TB as the stats for opposing toons likely include a whole lot of defense.
    I would like to hear CG address specifically TB performance with the changes to defense.

JML will be nerfed as well.
    Most optimal strategies with him include using GAS to reduce opposing GLs health, especially if running JML lead where you can call GAS in with almost every move.
    I don’t agree that GAS is 100% necessary you counter Rey and SLK, but his health reduction makes the counter 100% reliable.
    His health reduction as well is huge against JMK with all of his bonus protection (which scales by health) as well as in mirrors where reducing opposing JML health makes it way easier to win.
    I would like some comments from CG on the state of JML with the significant nerfs to his team.

And a final point for now:
    The refund of a bit of gear for these incredibly fundamental revamps of mechanics are way to narrow in scope.
    Loads of people have upgraded almost entire teams to make counters more reliable - counters which are unlikely to work/to be reliable with these changes.
    Shore as a tank for Vader counter. Stormtrooper with his defense boost for Vader counter to slk, IPD for Vader counter etc.

I have several guildies who have built a good portion of their roster around counter teams who are now looking at a big chunk of GP which is useless/have massively reduced value.

And no, this is not a ftp/whale issue.
    I have spent a decent chunk of change, I am unlocking my 4th GL abs I hate these changes.
    Past round in GAC I was able to use 3 non-GL counters in one round and pull a massive win, don’t expect that to be possible anymore.
  • ReyVsMando
    38 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    logged in today as well.

i go in and think "what to do somehow boring now"

i dont know what to upgrade anymore besides GL stuff.
    im close to EEP but i HATE it that the rest of the roster just feels like "playing around". thats a problem i wanna play a game not a GL licking contest.
    Post edited by ReyVsMando on
  • AlexanderG
    1927 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Can’t wait to see what response if any CG has to all this backlash

You can't hear the crickets?

Seriously, Crumb acknowledged they discussed this at length internally. I'm pretty sure this is the response they expected. And I'm pretty sure they know what it could do to their bottom line. And I'm pretty sure that answer is virtually nothing

Oh I know. I’m just curious what they’re gonna say or do. This is a really big deal

That once again CG dropped this on a Friday pretty much tells you everything about their communication strategy.
    Post edited by AlexanderG on
  • ReyVsMando
    38 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    I don't understand why the nerfs are a whale vs f2p issue. Do whales not use these toons to counter GLs in GAC and TW? Will they be happier with these toons nerfed? Are they even competing vs f2p in any venue where these changes are relevant?

working on those counters isnt that F2P viable/friendly as it seems.
    thats a myth. i pay and had still a lot of work to come to a point and u are countering just 1 GL. Coming to a point to counter other GLs is still ALOT of work.

most of my opponent with a GL doesnt even had vader and wat build up.

• So my suggestions for a future dev post:
    --Cite how, exactly, these characters have become constraining to new characters.
    --Explain how players without Galactic Legends are supposed to stand a chance against those who do.
    --Consider new player experience going forward.

Overall I'm open-minded. But there isn't enough information out there to say one way or the other.[/quote]

Good post - not going to happen though.
  • Crayons
    565 posts Member
    Starslayer wrote: »
    Crayons wrote: »
    The one thing I can agree on

The have made going for CLS, Darth Revan, GAS, and JKL worthless. No one is gonna farm for all that time anymore. They’ll go straight to galactic legend.

All these wonderful characters will be bypassed.

Cls, gas and jkl are all prerequisites for GLs. Revans are debatable, but if you’re set on this strategy for gac, g12 revans/malak is low enough so it wont impact matchmaking and would give you very interesting characters that you’ll use on the field.

It’s not my strategy. I have GL’s so I’m good.

But you kinda made my point for me. They’re now just pre-req toons, when they were competitive. For example, I don’t have gas and JKL. Was about to start farming one of them as I finished slkr. Won’t bother now. Straight to next GL.

• CG said she wanted to listen to the community. only that the "important" community for CG are the p2w players (whales). all other f2p players are only accessories, to say we have a lot of users. the p2w have expressed their wishes and receive them. the f2p have also expressed requests, they are introduced, but do not achieve them. we, the f2p players, are only being led around by the nose. we just run after them. All you have to do is log in to the GA travelcard and take your reward. matchmaking not available. rewards in the raids, manageable if you can close it. but hey, you can pat yourself on the shoulder and say let's make money and kidding the players.
  • Crayons
    565 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Stefkai1 wrote: »
    CG said she wanted to listen to the community. only that the "important" community for CG are the p2w players (whales). all other f2p players are only accessories, to say we have a lot of users. the p2w have expressed their wishes and receive them. the f2p have also expressed requests, they are introduced, but do not achieve them. we, the f2p players, are only being led around by the nose. we just run after them. All you have to do is log in to the GA travelcard and take your reward. matchmaking not available. rewards in the raids, manageable if you can close it. but hey, you can pat yourself on the shoulder and say let's make money and kidding the players.

There are so many things I don’t like about the changes but your opening statement is one I find bizarre.

They are catering to their paying customers, and that’s odd?

I’m not seeing any company out there not catering to paying customers.

They’re not a community outreach programme for disadvantaged gamers.
  • Fredy5
    326 posts Member
    A simple question..
    What is the "Good" news in the last road ahead ?

• [/quote]

How did SEE become a God after this RA? I get that IT counter has been nerfed. Thought he still sucks on defense....[/quote]

Well there is this 3v3 GAC where Sith Eternal Emperor is one of strongest character in defence.. this game mode are offered to us with a silver plate, that im 100% sure CG never test any character they create on that game mode, even its about quater of the whole playable content in this game.. and im horrified to think how GL kenobi with CAT will rule over that game mod next time.
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Starslayer wrote: »
    The one thing I can agree on

The have made going for CLS, Darth Revan, GAS, and JKL worthless. No one is gonna farm for all that time anymore. They’ll go straight to galactic legend.

All these wonderful characters will be bypassed.

Cls, gas and jkl are all prerequisites for GLs. Revans are debatable, but if you’re set on this strategy for gac, g12 revans/malak is low enough so it wont impact matchmaking and would give you very interesting characters that you’ll use on the field.

It’s not my strategy. I have GL’s so I’m good.

But you kinda made my point for me. They’re now just pre-req toons, when they were competitive. For example, I don’t have gas and JKL. Was about to start farming one of them as I finished slkr. Won’t bother now. Straight to next GL.

Straight to the next gl : If next gl is lord Vader, you’ll farm gas. If next gl is jml, you’ll farm jkl, cls, Han, chewie and 3po. Will you farm Chewpio to round up your 4 men Rebel squad (edit, even if no one will read this because they are 2 more pages already: Chewpio is also required for jml, forgot about that. Thx phoenixion !) ? Up to you. If you go for Rey or See you’re probably right not to farm jkl, gas nor cls for the moment, except if you follow a ‘let’s farm challenge 1 of every assault battle’ strategy’ (which I personally like). It’s not because GLs are the best units in the game that you don’t have important strategic decisions to make. On top of that, don’t forget the 4 sidekicks that GLs need to make a very powerful squad. Only kylo uses his prerequisites to make him shine.

So don’t worry, people will still farm all those great units. When and how high gear ? That’s a different question.
    Post edited by Starslayer on
  • Crayons wrote: »
    CG said she wanted to listen to the community. only that the "important" community for CG are the p2w players (whales). all other f2p players are only accessories, to say we have a lot of users. the p2w have expressed their wishes and receive them. the f2p have also expressed requests, they are introduced, but do not achieve them. we, the f2p players, are only being led around by the nose. we just run after them. All you have to do is log in to the GA travelcard and take your reward. matchmaking not available. rewards in the raids, manageable if you can close it. but hey, you can pat yourself on the shoulder and say let's make money and kidding the players.

There are so many things I don’t like about the changes but your opening statement is one I find bizarre.

that was irony
  • Night2
    23 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    I think we are missing something. Relic 9 is comming. And with that increase of mastery maybe to 100 and in same time increase of health, offense and defense by about 20%. Or something like that, what we dont see right now. I just guessing
  • Night2 wrote: »
    I think we are missing something. Relic 9 is comming. And with that increase of mastery maybe to 100 and in same time increase of health, offense and defense by about 20%. Or something like that, what we dont see right now. I just guessing

Which might be a further reason to not nerf non-GLs like Vader, Thrawn et al.
  • ReyVsMando
    38 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    AlexanderG wrote: »

--Explain how players without Galactic Legends are supposed to stand a chance against those who do.

thats not only the problem the problem is the player experience. when u dont have that sort of long term value feeling in your roster anymore exept its GL stuff.
  • R9 is the key statement here. We don't know yet what impact this will have for non gls. Could we see special abilities being unlocked that were originally planned?
    Ultimately this could be the underlying reason why the nerfs were needed.
  • Lord Vader.
  • ReyVsMando
    38 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    i don't like to juggle with canned food all the time.
  • dhwo
    65 posts Member

Konju wrote: »
    Konju wrote: »
    I’m not FTP. This isn’t a meta shift, it is a nerf. Vastly different things. If new GLs were immune to fracture, defense penetration etc. there would be much less backlash imo.

That said, I don’t blame anyone for quitting the game with this last announcement.

Box it anyway you feel comfortable with.

This is a meta shift. How it gets there is irrelevant. They are changing the teams that win to suit spending players. That’s a meta shift. It’s not the same as old shifts cause that’s usually new characters. But it’s still the same thing. It’s a lazy meta shift, but a shift all the same.

No matter how you choose to box it, it is a nerf and the resulting backlash is evidence of the difference.

The effective gameplay outcome remains the same, you are correct. But for anyone to say how it gets there is irrelevant missed the first 21 pages of comments posted in roughly a day. There is a difference and it does matter.

The backlash is mostly ftp. Mostly.

My guild are very cool about it. So no, not everyone is up in arms. Those that are certainly shout the loudest.

And this is where you are completely wrong. It will not only affect f2p…it will affect TB, GAC, TW, Conquest, everything.

I don’t know whether you have ever had a leading role within TW. You need some flexibility to pull in a win for your guild. Have you ever faced a 20 legends deficit in TW and gotten a win? In order to do so you need not only a plan A but also a backup plan in order that the matchmaking screws you. By taking away non-GL counters you are loosing this flexibility. The safe part would be keeping all legends for O but by doing so it will simply just boring.

Do you really think that CG will test the impact of all their changes? When looking back at what they have done in the past I heavily doubt so…just think of the latest JMK Pop-up screen language settings disaster. And this wasn’t even a gameplay change.

All the other updates are expected or fine.
    But the nerfs are shaking the very core of the game and stating that the characteristics of some toons is preventing the further development of the game is from my point of view a blatant lie.
  • R9 is the key statement here. We don't know yet what impact this will have for non gls. Could we see special abilities being unlocked that were originally planned?
    Ultimately this could be the underlying reason why the nerfs were needed.

You think they have some info like that and didn't include it in the RA?
  • Maul and Vader. Guess it saves me wasting time going for JKR, DR, and Malak though. Would love to have them, but no time for side projects now.
  • Data discs can be changed using energy now.

The p2p folks want more carrots to chase (r9, Executor) with zero additional content, QOL changes, or any other actual gameplay improvements?

Man, I wish I ran a business (or worked for one) where my customers would pay me to do virtually nothing.
  • Data discs can be changed using energy now.

Still a rip-off. It should cost nothing. Or at most, something trivial.
  • Honestly, I don’t mind paying for kit if it looks like value for money. But for some kit, especially relic 8 and now relic 9, the paywall is too high. EA need to invert the pyramid. Make it really good value and well spend more.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Data discs can be changed using energy now.

Meh. There are several things in this RA that are deeply concerning. Switching the cost of disc swapping to something that is is ultimately crystal-based is not one of them.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • el_mago
    748 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    R_Val_17 wrote: »
    After meditating on this for several hours in my dark room.

This whole situation seems like we have all been invited to a wonderful get together. With CG as our gracious host.

Like all proper parties there were treats, snacks, and drinks. (Targets of said nerfs)

We ate them up and talked, formed bonds with newly met friends, and enjoyed ourselves etc.

Then lo and behold our host finds a wayward treat that has fallen from it's proper place. This poor treat has hairs and a dust bunny clinging to it. They deftly pluck those nasty bits off. Then in front of their now horrified guests who have suddenly realized where this is going, consumes it whole.

Even licking their fingers in defiance of those ghastly stares.

Then our brazen host scans the room and says, "What are any of you going to do about it?"

At that very moment some will become very interested in the tile, while others look to the ceiling, some whisper to their neighbors their discontent, and while the most bold audibly grumble. However. None. Leave.

Then our host says, "That's what I thought." While sauntering away, with a swish in their step, hand on their hip with one in the air, and a hair upon their lip.

If you didn't plagiarize this, I'm impressed with the imagery it presents...and a little frightened. 👍
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    I'll reserve judgment on some of the defense changes. One thing that I think is extremely disheartening about this RA is that we are finally seeing some attention to fleets - and instead of being FO or Resistance (both fleet factions in dire need of attention) we get yet another (third) Empire capital ship - when there are barely enough Empire ships to make up 2 fleets. As if that wasn't non-sensical enough, the added requiremt to have 2 R8 characters to even participate in a ship event is mind boggling. The precedent that even participatiing in ship releases is going to be tied to max-relic characters moving forward is horrible.

I wish the people who made decisions about this game actually played it. This odd fleet event and it's head-shakingly bizarre requirements makes it even more clue that they do not - and are completely out of touch and tone-deaf to those on their development team that do. Thanks Mark.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Data discs can be changed using energy now.

Meh. There are several things in this RA that are deeply concerning. Switching the cost of disc swapping to something that is is ultimately crystal-based is not one of them.

I agree that it's not "deeply concerning". I'd even say it is an improvement. But it is nothing to praise or celebrate, imo.
    Gonna be honest I do laugh a bit that at least 99% of the biggest criers about how there is going to be no non-GL GL counters, are in no way, shape, or form countering a GL just now.

People crying about stuff that’s stoping them doing something they can’t do now.

And before the I have GAS, Sith Empire blah blah blah guys come, I’m not including you in the 99% of biggesti criers group.

I am also laughing a bit about the ones angry that a PLC want to make more money. Literally their only goal and reason for existence.

Then the poor Devs getting it in the neck. This is how most of their conversations go I assume….

CG Dev: I have great idea for game

CG Shareholder:
    ewbsb4arb0as.jpeg

So you think its fine that people who have spent time and money on Dark Trooper for example get it nerfed via other changes as soon as they've got it to a usable state?

No thats not fine at all, and works against CG as non-whales who may spend a bit of money here and there to get a particular character will be discouraged from doing so in future.