[MEGA] Road Ahead: July 2021

Replies

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    SSB wrote: »
    How do you expect to change the GAC Matchmaking? As someone with 2 GLs won't have any changes against someone with 3 GLs

This was an area that we had specific concerns over and we will definitely be monitoring how this affects match ups in Grand Arena, encounters in Journey Guide events and everywhere else. I have put together a report of top concerns and questions from today's announcement for the team. Many of them are ones I or our testers have already raised.
    Zumwan wrote: »
    So, after reading all the comments here, I wonder if the Devs will ever read them or if they care about our opinion.
    Doja and I have read through every comment in this thread and many others. We have taken the constructive feedback to the team. I understand these changes feel frustrating but we are listening and we had many long conversations about how this impacts players before we decided on this plan.

Among them the other things that we don’t like about this RA, didn’t you say that you were only going to make us R8 good characters for the requirements? Why would you consider Boba Fett a good character? He and his ship are outdated and useless

Boba is still fine and you don't know what his ship will be capable of under Executor. Of all the things to complain about here, this is somewhere at the bottom of the list.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Crayons wrote: »
    The dark trooper isn’t going to be bad.

People honestly don’t read anything.

No see killer anymore. That's the only thing that matters.
  • Although we've had steadily increasing relic requirements on the Toon event side, there have been no relic requirements for ship events. Not ever.

We (at the very least) needed an event where the pilot requirements were r3 (an equivalent to JKL) before racing forward to require r7s (much less r8s) for another ship event.

So, in addition to the comment about the ridiculous disconnect between the amount of effort it requires to r8 a toon vs the amount of effort it requires to 4* a ship (or even 7* a ship for the final round), there's also just a general lack of appreciation that requirement creep on the Toon side does not translate to expectations for requirement creep on the ship side.

There are good reasons for that, and I could elaborate, but I've already said a lot in this thread, so I'll hold back on that.

@ TVF:

I hope you're not counting me as someone who thinks JMLS is useless. What I've said is that a nerf to JMLS's damage dealers is a nerf to JMLS (which is objectively true), and that there's reason to worry about how this will play out in battles between JMLS & toons that he used to dominate (like SLKR). I am withholding final judgement until we actually see the squad in action, but there's at least a small reason to worry that the inevitable TM reduction granting MaxHealth to SLKR will no longer be countered by GAS, and the long cooldown on JKLS's repulse (well, long given his low base speed), will mean that SLKR's protection gets removed faster because of that early use of Repulse to stun SLKR's allies, but his health steal is even better able to keep him in the game (now that there are no MaxHealth reductions from GAS) long enough to kill JKLS.

If SLKR can kill JKLS before the 2nd repulse, that will be a problem. Again, I'm not saying that I know the team will perform worse, but I have reason to be concerned until I see the team in action.

Then again, all this could be wasted verbiage because you weren't counting me in the category of people who think JMLS is worthless. In that case, I apologize for wasting your time.
  • Whatelse73
    2147 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Nauros wrote: »
    SSB wrote: »
    How do you expect to change the GAC Matchmaking? As someone with 2 GLs won't have any changes against someone with 3 GLs

This was an area that we had specific concerns over and we will definitely be monitoring how this affects match ups in Grand Arena, encounters in Journey Guide events and everywhere else. I have put together a report of top concerns and questions from today's announcement for the team. Many of them are ones I or our testers have already raised.
    So, after reading all the comments here, I wonder if the Devs will ever read them or if they care about our opinion.
    Doja and I have read through every comment in this thread and many others. We have taken the constructive feedback to the team. I understand these changes feel frustrating but we are listening and we had many long conversations about how this impacts players before we decided on this plan.

Among them the other things that we don’t like about this RA, didn’t you say that you were only going to make us R8 good characters for the requirements? Why would you consider Boba Fett a good character? He and his ship are outdated and useless

Boba is still fine and you don't know what his ship will be capable of under Executor. Of all the things to complain about here, this is somewhere at the bottom of the list.

Actually, the overarching concern is the fact that we still have some "generation one" characters that have outdated kits. Juxtapose that to newer characters having kits more extensive than the instructions on how to build a computer. Slave 1, even with Boba relic'd doesn't do well anymore. It just doesn't hold up. Under certain circumstances Boba can do well, but his kit/stats need updating. (I have him at R5 already and it's not that earth shattering.) He's not as bad as Mace or Rose, but he's not a character to be feared on defense, nor his ship.

Speaking of ships, CG you owe us at least another dozen regular ships. We will soon have our 9th capital ship, but still only have enough regular ships for six of them and now we're going to be short 19 ships for all the capital ships we'll have. Shipload of content should be including tanks for Resistance and FO, more Sith ships, a ship for Dengar, etc. Oh and we'll have THREE Empire capital ships, but we only have SIX Empire ships. Six...
  • Csonkagi
    4 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    The delay of Conquest 7 hurts many players. In Conquest 3 you made a mistake that made it impossible to buy 20 CAT shards. You corrected this by giving 5 CAT shards much later. But this was late for players who calculated 4 months in advance, believing that with only 1-month delay they can obtain CAT. Now you make this delay longer. I suggest starting Conquest 7 ASAP and introduce the complex new stuff in Conquest 8. Learning from your past records it seems to me that those changes are huge, lots of errors might occur and you must delay further the conquest 7, which might be buggy and crashing, due to too hasty introduction.
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Csonkagi wrote: »
    The delay of Conquest 7 hurts many players. In Conquest 3 you made a mistake that made it impossible to buy 20 CAT shards. You corrected this by giving 5 CAT shards much later. But this was late for players who calculated 4 months in advance, believing that with only 1-month delay they can obtain CAT. Now you make this delay longer. I suggest starting Conquest 7 ASAP and introduce the stuff in Conquest 8. It seems to me that those changes are huge, lots of errors might occur and you must delay further the conquest 7, which might be buggy and crashing, due to too hasty introduction.

You could acquire enough currency to buy 15 CAT shards in Conquest 3 starting from 0 credits, the 5 CAT shards offset what you couldn't get
  • Whatelse73
    2147 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks they won't be able to beat a GL with JML is using him wrong. Or didn't actually read the changes.

As was stated, the power of JML is protecting his allies while they take down the other team. When it comes down to 1v1, JML loses or at best will timeout vs another GL but never win. His "allies" getting a nerf is problematic, but at the same time we don't know yet how bad the updates will be. (Just as much as we don't know that everything will be "fine" after the update.)
  • Whatelse73 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks they won't be able to beat a GL with JML is using him wrong. Or didn't actually read the changes.

As was stated, the power of JML is protecting his allies while they take down the other team. When it comes down to 1v1, JML loses or at best will timeout vs another GL but never win. His "allies" getting a nerf is problematic, but at the same time we don't know yet how bad the updates will be. (Just as much as we don't know that everything will be "fine" after the update.)

But JKL is not really nerfed at all. Jedi Will gives twice as much offense instead of ignoring defense, and he has base armor pen increase. You all must have no idea how much damage repulse will do to GLs. If anything you won’t need to rely as much on having GAS on the team to beat other GLs
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Whatelse73 wrote: »

If you were getting to a 1v1 situation with JML vs other GLs than the kit changes before and after doesn't matter because you will still end up losing

JKL got buffed in some areas, and only lost ignore defense (offset with defense penetration, offense increase, 3x200% damage vs GLs, he still ignores defense vs Tanks)

GAS lost ignore defense on his basic (got some armor pen in exchange), but in some scenarios his AOE + Kick dealt massive amounts of damage and that isn't changed or affected at all
  • The lack of mod overview causes lots of problems. The mod sell could be developed further to give a nice overview of the mod developments. Mods are the most important part of this game.

Also, you make the fleet game poorly playable because of the lack of a ship squad, you must set the ships one by one.
  • @ Ultra

I'm not worried about JKL. The real concern is GAS not reducing MaxHealth vs. GLs.

A nerf to JMLS's damage dealers is a nerf to JMLS. The GAS nerf has a very significant impact on the ability to kill GLs. Will the JKL changes (more than) make up for it? We will have to see.
  • Ultra wrote: »

If you were getting to a 1v1 situation with JML vs other GLs than the kit changes before and after doesn't matter because you will still end up losing

JKL got buffed in some areas, and only lost ignore defense (offset with defense penetration, offense increase, 3x200% damage vs GLs, he still ignores defense vs Tanks)

GAS lost ignore defense on his basic (got some armor pen in exchange), but in some scenarios his AOE + Kick dealt massive amounts of damage and that isn't changed or affected at all

The defense penetration boost doesn't come close to offsetting the loss of ignore defense.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/2280216/#Comment_2280216

How much true damage? What's the multiplier on that part of the damage? And SiT, who is the more important 1-shot for JKL is not a tank.

If JKL can't still 1-shot SiT with Jedi's Will, Offense Up, JKR lead, and attacking out of turn; then the JKR+JKL counter is fundamentally changing, which means GAC is fundamentally changing.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Stormdude wrote: »

Can't read if it isn't writen, my friend. If i did say i read what was written, i would be liar just like CG is with their testings.

It's said in the video at 9:34 that they :
    "Call out Dark Trooper" (?)
    That people invested in him to counter GLs(true)
    Our investment past r5 will be returned

They essentialy tell us nothing of WHAT they will do to him. My bet is to lower his damage with zero changes to how buggy that boy is.

They stated it's due to the changes to SEEs kit, that limits/removed the IT counter. No changes to DTs kit.
  • Kyno wrote: »

Can't read if it isn't writen, my friend. If i did say i read what was written, i would be liar just like CG is with their testings.

They essentialy tell us nothing of WHAT they will do to him. My bet is to lower his damage with zero changes to how buggy that boy is.

They stated it's due to the changes to SEEs kit, that limits/removed the IT counter. No changes to DTs kit.

Glad to hear I didn't miss anything. Frankly, IT are still an amazing team with the SEE buff. Killing maxed SE teams for 59/60 is amazing.
  • Crayons
    565 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

Exactly what I said. I don’t get how people think DT is gonna all of a sudden be bad.
  • Ilinso1
    493 posts Member
    Well… perhaps it’s time for me weigh in. (Not sure it’s gonna matter enough to change CG’s mind, because they don’t seem to care about the players. Just the $,$$$,$$$,$$$.$$ that the players spend.)
    So as a F2P Guild leader for more than 5 years now… the game is boring. It’s been boring. You introduce ‘new content’ as a re-skinned version of something we already had. The only “new” thing that has happened in years is Conquest. And I became so bored with it after the first iteration, I barley play it now. (Clearly I won’t be getting CAT, Maul, or RC anytime soon.)
    The only..single..solitary…1 and only thing that has kept me playing this game for the last 2 1/2 years has been the community and my Guild. We form bonds and ‘friendships’ via our **** connection in this game. What I fear…these changes will demoralize enough players that they’ll quit, and I won’t have any reasons to stay. It’s sad to see a potential like this on the horizon when I was actually getting mildly excited for what the future of my Guild had in front of them.
    We work together as a group (by far the best aspect of this game) to try and beat an opponent in TW. And we have. We beat Guilds regularly that are higher GP and more GL’s than us because we built the F2P friendly counters. To see that stripped from us is demoralizing. And now TW’s will not share the same excitement and fun because the opponent has more GL’s than us. Absolutely shredded the joy of an underdog win in TW. I’m one that can’t stand GAC, but the same premise applies here as well.
    How will these nerfs affect TB? If it does and the already very difficult LS Geo TB becomes more difficult due to the nerfs… once again, demoralized players and people quitting the game.
    I’ve read nearly every single post in this very long thread and I disagree with the ones who think regular toons will be able to counter GL’s in the future. They’ll squish and delete any counter we find to go around their shiny new toys.
    I don’t believe you CG, EA, developers, whoever you are out there. When you guys make a post, text or video, that says you’re listening and ‘considering’ what we say. I can look and consider my yard all day long, but sometime i’ll have to get off my tail-end and mow it. Please save your empty words and empty text for people who care.
    I challenge you to prove us wrong. Listen to our concerns and act on them. Then you may be able to reinstall some trust from your player base.
  • Crayons
    565 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    This game has changed quite radically before. Every MMO I know has went through radical change. Always done to protect the future when developers back themselves into corners with previous kits.

It always causes outrage. It always has the forums and discord’s turning into raging dumpster fires.

A few months later it’s forgotten.

Now this is not always the case for every game, but it does always seem the case for good games, and this at its core is a very good game.

There have been times in several of the most popular MMO’s out there that characters people had spent several years on where nerfed into irrelevance. Times when new Characters have done the same job and invalidated the previous top toon people had been top with for years. The outrage is palpable. A few months after changes it’s forgotten about.

This is a great game, with a great community. These changes will be soaked up and overcome.
  • This is the first time in the entire game's history where I have seen every faction of the community have a unified opinion on a road ahead, and that opinion is about just how **** terrible it is. This is NOT a good prescedent for the months to come.

The level of impact these changes have between GL and non-GL owners, compared with how unreasonable the QnA about the why's is really makes me think they don't just want to draw a line and separate non-spenders and new players from the endgame and whales, they want to borderline segregate between who spends and doesn't. I scoured nearly 2 hours across several encyclopedias to find a different word to describe how drastic this change is, and i couldn't find one. So Segregating GL from non GL users it is.

Needless to say, it isn't anyhow exaggerated when one claims that this will historically go down as the worst road ahead for this game, because it genuinely is. I so badly wish this was just hater-talking, but hell, not even Ahnald is optimistic about this, and I can count on one hand the amount of mobile game content makers ACROSS ALL OF MOBILE GAMING THERE IS who are more the-cup-is-half-full than him.

Again, this is not a good prescedent to set. This is the first anger-bandwagon I am genuinely joining because i can't make a single good thing out of this.
  • Honestly, this is taking the game in a terrible direction. People payed money for certain characters because of their in game mechanics. To remove that now is telling them that that money was poorly spent. Besides, even saying that you don’t like to do it, the truth is after doing it once, you could do it again. So people will think twice before spending more money knowing that what they are buying could be changed for worse. Plus, a lot of people studied a lot of the mechanics to extract more of the game. This basically narrows the ability to play the game. Knowledge and strategy no longer matter. Either you have a certain toon or though luck. That, plus the incredibly difficult levels to achieve like R8 (can’t even imagine what 9 will look like) means that if you want to evolve in the game, you’ll need to spend money. But is risky to do so when there is a precedent of changing the toons further down the road. I’ve been playing this game for over 5 years, but felt that this is a terrible direction. I’ve been enjoying pretty much everything that you’ve been doing so far, but this killed me. If this idea moves forward I might not play it anymore…
  • Couple of things to notice that seems to underline the fact that CG is driven by $$$$ and not the player/community satsfaction - this road ahead is a clear declaration of money goes first.

1. CG started to put on monetization (weekly store, store packs) special characters that were unavailable for purchase only playing the game allowed you to collect shards. Example is Negotiator and Wat.
    Now it is announced that some of these characters will get nerf. This announcement comes after weeks when the sale opened in the store. Nothing else but a money trap.

2. With the new nerfs on the horizon Conquest HARD won't be playable without GLs, since sector 4 boss that is GL Rey will require a GL to beat.
    Unsaid consequence of this is that not only the RED crate but the YELLOW will be forbidden for players that has no GLs, this means that NO R8 MATS can be earned in Conquest unless you have a GL
    Connect this with the fact that in the store there is a regularly appearing package for $50 that has 10 R8 mats...

3. They push out a new ship with extreme relic requirements that means even more sale of "gear completion" packages in the store. The new ship expectedl to distract the fleet meta and as such unless a player grinds it it will loose fleet arena position.

All this change comes rapidly (i.e. September) that is in a months time whereas developing top characters usually requires 4-6 months. So many in-progress investments (money or time) is wasted.

CG can only survive these evil market practices as the love of Star Wars keeps people around the game (well, and also the addictive nature of the game that makes it difficult to put down psychologically)

Under normal business circumstances such company would have been put under serious investigation for customer fraud and eventually put down...

• Stormdude wrote: »
    MaruMaru wrote: »

Then they need to nerf Snow and Death cuz you can (could?) beat SEE with them when Dark Trooper wasn't f2p farmable. It was trickier, yes, but doable with right turn order and speed.

Yeah well now SEE and allies will get turn meter with every stack of a non-dispellable buff aka Emperors Trap so we won't be able to outrun them anymore sadly.
  • How do you expect to change the GAC Matchmaking? As someone with 2 GLs won't have any changes against someone with 3 GLs

So you guys had long conversations about how it will ruin things like GA and TW matchmaking? Not to mention potentially making conquest bosses even harder?

My guild has no GLs right now but keep getting matched against guilds with at least 2 GLs, last one had 5. What are we supposed to do against that? Throw a stick at them?

And you think that this is still a GOOD idea? If you think it will encourage people to spend more to keep up, then you clearly don't understand how much you charge for all of this gear! Is the plan just to rip us off?
  • th3evo
    358 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

Exactly what I said. I don’t get how people think DT is gonna all of a sudden be bad.

The video structure makes it confusing. Crumb is talking about character changes and then he calls out DT specifically (even though they aren't making any changes to him directly). So I understand why people were confused.
  • Crayons
    565 posts Member
    Fair enough
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    MaruMaru wrote: »

Then they need to nerf Snow and Death cuz you can (could?) beat SEE with them when Dark Trooper wasn't f2p farmable. It was trickier, yes, but doable with right turn order and speed.

So? This toon is getting refunded, not others.
  • Dace_Prow
    28 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Ultra wrote: »
    It looks like they are going to kill the free to play players with these changes!

You can freely get a GL though

I think everyone is misstating when they're saying "letting down the F2P player base" (by nerfing GL counters) - what they really mean is "letting down people interesting in playing this game really well".

If you think back to the meta at the time GA was released (DR/Malak meta) - you had one squad that nothing else could beat, and GAC was a game of either putting that on D, and both sides cleared the other zone, or saving it for offense and hoping you win the mirror. And similar things happened in TW.
    ... and if you didn't have DR/Malak, its an automatic loss (or if your guild didn't have enough DR/Malaks .... (though back then TWs had faction buffs so you could make it up with a buffed Mace Windu or mega-clones).

This decision by CG to intentionally make non-GL counters to GLs dramatically more difficult will move the game back to that state. It's about Fun 2 Play not Free 2 Play.

(I say this as someone with JMK)
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member

If you are coming down to 1v1 you're doing it wrong.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Scottster
    4 posts Member
    edited July 2021

Clearly the conversations weren’t long enough. I haven’t seen this level of community disconnect and mind-boggling decisions since Battlefront 2 at launch (surprise surprise...another EA game).

This is displeasing both F2P AND P2W players across the board, so I’m really not sure what the goal here was besides **** off the entire community, especially at a time when most players (myself included) felt the game was actually in an upwards spiral for once.

Sad. Just sad. I pray to god you guys reconsider these before they go live in August, otherwise you guys better brace yourself for another Battlefront 2 fiasco. And to think I actually thought EA learned from that. I am completely and utterly disgusted.