Back after two year absence

clhs
195 posts Member
edited July 2021
So I was obsessed with this game until about two years ago when Baze and Chirrut came in and, in my opinion, broke the whole game. After a couple of years I'm back and a lot has changed.
What advice would you give to someone who already has a decent roster of Rebels, Clones, Sith, Empire and Jedi (but only one character at yellow gear: Darth Vader)? I have no idea what's happening with "relics" and I still don't enjoy ship battles so I tend to do the bare minimum there to get my rewards.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Can you post your swgoh.gg link. That way its gonna be much easier to advise you which route to take.
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    edited July 2021
    Pretty sure Baze and Chirrut came four years ago.

Two years ago was Darth Revan, Malak, LSGeo TB, GAS, etc.
  • clhs
    195 posts Member
    crzydroid wrote: »

Crikey has it been that long! I stand corrected. Feels like less but I am sure you're right.
  • clhs
    195 posts Member
    HTWarrior wrote: »
    Can you post your swgoh.gg link. That way its gonna be much easier to advise you which route to take.

Thank you, it's
    https://swgoh.gg/p/948917927/characters/
    But it states "updated three months ago". Not sure how I can force a refresh but I've made some progress in the last week but probably nothing major (except Vader is yellow gear now).
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    edited July 2021
    clhs wrote: »
    crzydroid wrote: »

Crikey has it been that long! I stand corrected. Feels like less but I am sure you're right.

That being said, it looks like you held out a bit after Chaze came to town, because you have Krennic and Deathtrooper, which were the first two marquees, and those were definitely after Baze was on the scene. It may have still been 2017 though.

Edit: Yup--"Special Operations" was January 2017.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Check the requirements for Commander Luke Skywalker and R2D2 in the journey guide. You are very close to being able to unlock CLS and you already have a full empire team to unlock R2D2.

You might as well start farming Dengar and Logray from the guild shop. You will need them eventually to unlock 3P0 and Chewie.

After having unlocked CLS you can choose between a variety of paths:

You can continue to build you CLS team (CLS, Han, Chewie, Chewpio and 3P0).
    You can build your separatists to unlock Padme and build a Galactic Republic team (Padme, Ahsoka, JKA, GK and 3P0).
    You can farm Old Republic characters to unlock JK Revan followed by Darth Revan and Malak.
    If you are ready for a looooong farm you may start farming for a galactic legend. Just keep in mind that it's a long farm.

I know you don't focus on ships but you may as well farm Jango and Bossk to help you unlock Chewie and have a great all-round tank ship. You should definately aim to beat the zeta ability materials challenge with your ships. You will need zetas for your characters. Also, if only you reach top 500 in fleet arena you will receive an additional 200 fleet shop currency every day to buy ships, a few rare characters or zeta ability materials.

What's your guild like? The stronger and more active your guild is the more and better rewards you will earn from raids, TB etc.
  • Realistically, decide how much money you're willing to spend on the game and go from there. A while back the game shifted from having to have the newest meta toon/team to be competitive to a rock/paper/scissor format that was much more strategic and interesting.

However, the upcoming update is shifting everything back to the players with the greatest number of GL and R8 toons win, and everyone else battles for the low to mid tier. And, being that those characters are locked behind a steep paywall or a long grind for F2P players in a meta that shifts quickly and a dev team that's prone to nerfing toons and strategies that threaten the viability of top tier characters, I recommend deciding what you want to get out of the game early on (collector or competitor). Not saying all of that to come off as excessively cynical, but that's just realistically where the game is now. I would say much more so than when you were last playing.

• Larx
    371 posts Member
    do you want to compete in arena shard?
    if yes : start over
    if not : stay with @Waqui
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    It is not impossible to fight your way back to the top of the arenas but you will need to be very patient and play consistently. If you enjoy fighting your way back then go ahead.

In you current old arena shard most players will be inactive accounts. I doubt you will see much activity outside top-500. If you start over all 20k accounts will be more or less active and on top of that some of them will invest in the hyper drive bundle to get a significant advantage.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    It is not impossible to fight your way back to the top of the arenas but you will need to be very patient and play consistently. If you enjoy fighting your way back then go ahead.

In you current old arena shard most players will be inactive accounts. I doubt you will see much activity outside top-500. If you start over all 20k accounts will be more or less active and on top of that some of them will invest in the hyper drive bundle to get a significant advantage.

This, and it could be significantly less (a glance at the top 50 in game will give you a bit of an idea).
    I’m (fortunately) on a mature shard (Jan ‘16) that has suffered a lot of attrition- it took almost a year after GLs were released to fully populate the top 50 with them - and there are to this day ‘guest appearances’ of JKL lead sneaking in to the 40s for their payout.

How many are casually active below that, I couldn’t say, but it sure wouldn’t take a dedicated returning player long to advance a fair ways in a shard similar to mine, and since OP has been around prior to Tournaments, there is a fair to middling chance this could be the case for them as well.
  • clhs
    195 posts Member
    Some very good answers, thank you all a lot. I just got CLS today coincidentally. Loving him so far.
  • Glad your having fun and got the character you wanted, coming back after being gone is not that hard as long as your not all about “competitive play”. I came back and kept going, glad I did as starting over would have made all my progress a waste of time.
  • I came back after a year break. Found. A guild that fit my casual but active play style . I have a blast developing the rosters and contributing without the arena chase. Bottom line have fun
  • Bottom line have fun

This.

Also, just so you know, I took a long break, though not nearly as long as yours. I've come back a long way and now my GP is comparable to a good amount of the people in the top 50 of my Arena shard (I'm at 7.2M, and we have 6.8 to about 8.1 or 8.2, I think). More than that, for several weeks now I've been taking 1st place often, and I've been taking it every day for at least a week. Yes, it's been a long time in coming, but now I'm becoming a regular fixture at the highest possible level of competition, and I've spent $0 since coming back to the game (and only a little before I left). I'm sure that some of the people I'm competing against have spent way more than I have, and more recently, though we don't have any insane krakens or anything, with the highest GP I've seen at 8.2 (there might be higher ones I haven't seen).

So, yeah. You can push your way into the top 200 in the next 3 months to a year, depending on your shard, and after that you should be able to make steady progress until you're breaking top 50. Once you get there, scoring top 10 is possible, but is dependent on whether you want to spend crystals on refreshing your arena attempts and how much time you have in the evenings to fight battles, wait 10 minutes, fight another battle, etc.

If you stay casual, once you hit top 50 that's probably as good as you'll get for a while, until you outlast other people who quit or until you build up a store of gear and/or crystals that allow you to grab a new meta GL while it's still fresh. Once you get that one key squad, your total GP won't hold you back at all.
  • If you completely ignore anything PVP related & just have fun w/ slow progression casually, the game "could" be fun.

If you ever expect to compete in Squad, Fleet, or really even GAC or TW......... turn around & run away now before the grind sets in :)

• Being competitive in this game is a fool’s choice as the game is 5 or 6 years old now and the whales who have played all that time will dominate the game.

If you play for fun and do what you want the game is a lot of fun and you can put together a lot of good squads with characters you like.

Glad I never restarted, had so much good stuff that I finally got to apply for my KOTOR team.
  • If you completely ignore anything PVP related & just have fun w/ slow progression casually, the game "could" be fun.

If you ever expect to compete in Squad, Fleet, or really even GAC or TW......... turn around & run away now before the grind sets in :)

Lol this reminds me of my 1st para of my beginner / farming guide I just started making on the wiki:
    Welcome to Star WarsTM: Galaxy of Heroes. This is a game of strategy, patience / spending, and frustration. Yet it hooks you on. If you want to stay, do. If you think you’ll give up on it in a month, trust me, you won’t give it up. This game has no relation to the Star Wars Universe. You can’t pair up Clone Wars Chewbacca (CWC) and Ashoka Tano (AT). Now, to start, you need to understand synergy. If you are going to be a spender, check out my p2p guide.
    My discord - BabyYoda#4470 My swgoh.gg - https://swgoh.gg/p/648565123/