Conquest is actually good?

Samurai54351
155 posts Member
edited September 2021
I just wanted to put my thoughts out here about conquest, as I see many are complaining or downing it.

1. I have enjoyed every conquest so far. I know that the feats have gotten more “grindy” or tedious in this one, but the whole point of conquest was to get us to come back to it every day for two weeks to have something new to do. So yes, more feats can actually be good, and I feel like this is a good part of the new conquest.

2. I know a lot of people were getting max crate before, but hey, even crate 1 in Hard mode gets you 50 total injector pieces, not bad. I think for me, not focusing on what other are getting, but focusing on my best I can do is fun!

3. Conquest is nice because I can do a 1 wave battle that take only a few minutes instead of something like a TB wave in light side Geo that takes 10+ minutes just to be sauced by a destroyer droid! (Yikes!)
And it’s fun to try using different teams against hard opponents without worrying about losing banners, arena rank or stars in TB. This is something just for me to goof off in and get good rewards at the end.

Overall, I like conquest! Is there anyone else that likes it as well? I’d love to know I’m not the only one! Try to keep this positive! Thanks CG! Keep this mode up!
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• This is a good perspective with some truth to it, but I'm going to explain why, ultimately, it's wrong:

1. This makes me want to quit the game or not open it, not "come back to it." The reason why people cleared the sectors early was to make time for the stupid repetitive feats. If they just wanted people to open the game and play the game mode more, they would give players bonus conquest energy and more conquest energy. It's not just some grind, it's a crystal sink.

2. Focusing on the best you can do is always nice, but too much of conquest now is wayyyy too time-consuming to set up teams and figure out the cheapest way to complete feats, and is mostly just spending crystals. Spending crystals has nothing to do with being good at the game.

3. LSTB does have issues, but that doesn't make conquest better. Conquest you can do a 1 wave battle, but you have to do it a bunch of times, over and over, for weeks on end. *While* doing LSTB. So, ultimately, the problems with LSTB and conquest compound each other when the modes overlap, rather than the flaws of one mode making the other mode better.

Losing in Conquest may seem fun, but at risk of spoiling the fun: losing battles in conquest is a lot more expensive than losing banners in GA or stars in missions in TB. And it's probably more expensive than losing arena rank, and with CG tying arena rank to conquest toons, losing conquest battles means you're indirectly losing arena rank--you just don't know it yet. Every conquest battle lost because your team doesn't work optimally against an AI team you can't inspect is, ultimately, shards for a conquest toon that you're not getting, or more crystals going towards conquest that aren't going towards Bad Batch marquee farming, gear farming, relic farming, or executor event refreshes.

In other words, CG has made it very clear that failure in conquest is designed to hurt (look at Vader's kit), and they're hoping you don't see how expensive it is in the long run to put crystals into the game mode to make it less miserable. It's designed to be bad on purpose, in combination with a "necessary" toon dangled as a reward, so that players whale on it to make it more tolerable.

By all means, get some enjoyment out of it, but also consider that a lot of players are going to recognize and experience how bad conquest is designed to be, and they'll do the bare minimum or quit.
  • Conquest is just like a job rn. To much time and crystal effort. It’s not funny anymore
  • Crayons
    565 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    Agree Tuareg. It’s like having another part time job on top of my regular job.

I don’t want to work 2 jobs. Especially one that doesn’t pay me, and in fact is looking to be paid themselves from me.

I understand we here you are coming from OP, but the reality is you find it fun because you clearly don’t care about it, and because you don’t care about the rewards, and you don’t care about not finishing it. This is not the reality for most players. Most players who’ve invested heavily, or been playing for several years, and have vast and powerful rosters, do not enjoy the grind aspect of this conquest. No body is saying it can’t be done. Everyone is saying the Time and crystals required to finish it has gone too far.

They have gone too far, and giving free Negotiator shards to players who already have negotiator is not going to solve the problems.
    Post edited by Crayons on
  • I am in a foot in both camps, I get it, nothing is free, last few conquests I probably did 4 refreshes over the whole event, now I am doing 2-3 a day. To be honest, around 5000-6000 crystals over 3 months for a full char isn't a bad deal, and let's say you only get box 5 or 6, then maybe it will take 6 conquests instead.

However the grind does suck. Just make it 30 energy per battle and take away most of the repetitions of the feats. 14 core battles per zone + maybe 10 additional battles to compete feats, forces around 1-2 refreshes per day if you have a perfect clear. I could live with doing 8-10 battles a day, just not the 12+ twice a day I need to to manage exhaustion etc.
  • I’d have more fun if I felt it was something I could grow into, like what the TBs and Raids used to be. If there was some light at the end of the tunnel.

Three things block that.

One, Conquest exclusive meta characters. I’m not getting LV any time soon, but I want Maul out of principle, and people missing CAT/Maul with their respective GLs are missing out on a… lot.

Two, the “seasons” aspect. If you could build teams to get individual feats, it might feel like more of an accomplishment, something to farm for. I’m not relicing Mandalorians to do 1 Feat for 2 more Conquests.

Three… I did a whole lot better the first 6 Conquests. So now I get less rewards for more effort. Yay.
  • zatho
    747 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    My biggest complain are the aero magnifiers (AM). Whales and people with strong roster, who are able to get max rewards in conquest also are most likely in a guild that can beat CRancor. As a consequence they have plenty of AM as they are not the true bottleneck.
    So why is it still impossible for all players not being in a high-end guild, to get AMs? The only source was Conquest but that was drained now. I get it that it should be hard to collect Maul shards quickly. But why can't you put some AM in the lower-tier crates as well?
    Post edited by zatho on
  • 14 wins with Geonosians which took me 5-7 minutes each. And that’s not counting the losses I had before trying the Phoenix node and rearranging disks. The time consumption here is far worse than LSTB.
  • Starrisen wrote: »
    I am in a foot in both camps, I get it, nothing is free, last few conquests I probably did 4 refreshes over the whole event, now I am doing 2-3 a day. To be honest, around 5000-6000 crystals over 3 months for a full char isn't a bad deal, and let's say you only get box 5 or 6, then maybe it will take 6 conquests instead.

However the grind does suck. Just make it 30 energy per battle and take away most of the repetitions of the feats. 14 core battles per zone + maybe 10 additional battles to compete feats, forces around 1-2 refreshes per day if you have a perfect clear. I could live with doing 8-10 battles a day, just not the 12+ twice a day I need to to manage exhaustion etc.

Gonna say this again. Nobody says it’s too hard, can’t be done, or costs too much.

It’s too much time, for boring repetitive nonsense. To get max crate you have to work at it. Work, like a job. Have to do it every day, and for a few hours.
  • Range1974
    897 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    It’s a grind. If you have time to play throughout the day to maximize the time for toons to rest and the crystal income to get three refreshes a day, it’s achievable. The videos with tips are out, the social media has the answers for the squads needed. The player just needs the time to focus about 4 times a day and a strategy so you aren’t ending up using the same toons in two different sectors at the same time. I will finish up the smugglers and bad batch feats today which should close me out for top crate. Huzzah but it’s so much not fun and most in my guild have settled on the second to last crate that I don’t even want to go and celebrate. We have had a few quit for a day or two because they are stuck, their mods are all screwed up now and the have lost time to get to the top level.
    If I was CG, I would add the zombie back into NS on each node where the repetition is needed but require you to complete the battle so you still have to fight it more than once.
    I would also revisit the energy changes. Either speed up generation slightly or decrease the cost to fight. I’m willing to spend 150 crystals to refresh, I’m just not spending crystals on gear or Omega shards. I may whale occasionally but I’m not a reckless spender.
    Finally, the disk distribution still needs work. Before the reboot, I got booming voice at the end of sector 1. This run, nothing at the end was worth equipping. I finally got booming voice at the end of sector 4. I don’t swap disks around. In fact, my only major disk change was to remove booming voice for the deathmark feat. I did not add anything back on.
  • Crayons wrote: »
    Agree Tuareg. It’s like having another part time job on top of my regular job.

I don’t want to work 2 jobs. Especially one that doesn’t pay me, and in fact is looking to be paid themselves from me.

I understand we here you are coming from OP, but the reality is you find it fun because you clearly don’t care about it, and because you don’t care about the rewards, and you don’t care about not finishing it. This is not the reality for most players. Most players who’ve invested heavily, or been playing for several years, and have vast and powerful rosters, do not enjoy the grind aspect of this conquest. No body is saying it can’t be done. Everyone is saying the Time and crystals required to finish it has gone too far.

They have gone too far, and giving free Negotiator shards to players who already have negotiator is not going to solve the problems.

I understand why most people don’t like it, but you are correct, I don’t care about getting the conquest toons day one. So I look at it differently. That’s why I’m posting my alternate opinion. For me, it’s fun. Just my opinion though. I know that that doesn’t make it right! Thanks for the reply!
  • zatho wrote: »
    My biggest complain are the aero magnifiers (AM). Whales and people with strong roster, who are able to get max rewards in conquest also are most likely in a guild that can beat CRancor. As a consequence they have plenty of AM as they are not the true bottleneck.
    So why ist it still impossible for all players not being in a high-end guild, to get AMs? The only source was Conquest but that was drained now. I get it that it should be hard to collect Maul shards quickly. But Why can't you put some AM in the lower-tier crates as well?

This will be impopular, but you have to work hard to get aeromagnifiers. They can't just give them out to everybody. Unless you are a very good player who always finishes in the first positions of the Crancor raid, you have to value your AM and be very careful how to use them.
    I don't put mine into any toon I like, I save them for GL requirements. Now I have enough for Executor requirements and for my next GL requirements (JMK).
  • The source of AM was atrocious before and the only viable income for a good deal of people was through conquest. And it was a small income at that, and to cut that out the way CG did now is extremely stingy and petty.
  • zatho wrote: »
    So why ist it still impossible for all players not being in a high-end guild, to get AMs? The only source was Conquest but that was drained now. I get it that it should be hard to collect Maul shards quickly. But Why can't you put some AM in the lower-tier crates as well?

This will be impopular, but you have to work hard to get aeromagnifiers. They can't just give them out to everybody. Unless you are a very good player who always finishes in the first positions of the Crancor raid, you have to value your AM and be very careful how to use them.
    I don't put mine into any toon I like, I save them for GL requirements. Now I have enough for Executor requirements and for my next GL requirements (JMK).

You are absolutely wrong. CG can do it but they don't want to.
    And it was possible before (work hard in Conquest) for lots of people, now it is impossible for them without a highly developed roster. Working hard in a guild does only work if everyone is playing at its best. If not, you are forced to leave your guild. And every mate who leaves your guild for that reaseon makes it even harder for you, forcing you to give it up as well and abandon your mates.
  • I just wanted to put my thoughts out here about conquest, as I see many are complaining or downing it.

1. I have enjoyed every conquest so far. I know that the feats have gotten more “grindy” or tedious in this one, but the whole point of conquest was to get us to come back to it every day for two weeks to have something new to do. So yes, more feats can actually be good, and I feel like this is a good part of the new conquest.

2. I know a lot of people were getting max crate before, but hey, even crate 1 in Hard mode gets you 50 total injector pieces, not bad. I think for me, not focusing on what other are getting, but focusing on my best I can do is fun!

3. Conquest is nice because I can do a 1 wave battle that take only a few minutes instead of something like a TB wave in light side Geo that takes 10+ minutes just to be sauced by a destroyer droid! (Yikes!)
    And it’s fun to try using different teams against hard opponents without worrying about losing banners, arena rank or stars in TB. This is something just for me to goof off in and get good rewards at the end.

Overall, I like conquest! Is there anyone else that likes it as well? I’d love to know I’m not the only one! Try to keep this positive! Thanks CG! Keep this mode up!

1) Disagree. I have a job already, I do not want to play a game that feels like a second job. Previous conquests I played every day, and it was "ok" for that two weeks, but still a grind. This grind makes me feel like I have a job that I'll get underpaid for once my paycheck (aka loot crate) comes in.

2) Yes, max crate should be for long time players and whales, but going from max crate (or box 6 in my case) to box 3-4 is a HUGE drop in rewards, and further takes the fun and willingness to engage with the mode from the players. Why put in more effort for less rewards? Most people wouldn't take a pay cut at their current jobs for more responsibility, and players shouldn't be expected to grind out extra feats to obtain very similar rewards.

3) It's nice that you feel you can experiment in your conquests. Most of us don't feel that way. As you don't care about rewards, I can see why failing a battle doesn't matter. But for the community at large, a failed battle is probably another 50 crystal sink into energy if they really want rewards. Shoot, even the wrong data disks now, or a failure of the player's basic understanding of how the code operates behind the scenes can even make a win put you behind. As others have pointed out, conquest is probably the most expensive mode for the players to date that CG has put out, and that's going to put off a lot of people, high spenders included since it's such a grind.

I'd love to keep things positive as you requested, so here it goes: I'm *positive* these changes were for the worst for the community. However, I'm hopeful CG will consider scaling things back for future conquests. Because if players like myself start having fun with conquests again, players like you will undoubtedly have double the fun.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    It's worse than before but not as bad as I first thought.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Harder than before but not as hard as I expected. Next one will be easier now we know how new data disks work
    Starrisen wrote: »
    I am in a foot in both camps, I get it, nothing is free, last few conquests I probably did 4 refreshes over the whole event, now I am doing 2-3 a day. To be honest, around 5000-6000 crystals over 3 months for a full char isn't a bad deal, and let's say you only get box 5 or 6, then maybe it will take 6 conquests instead.

Gonna say this again. Nobody says it’s too hard, can’t be done, or costs too much.

It’s too much time, for boring repetitive nonsense. To get max crate you have to work at it. Work, like a job. Have to do it every day, and for a few hours.

There were people actually complaining there was too few to do it every day. Not saying your thoughts are wrong, just different perspective
    Starrisen wrote: »

There were people actually complaining there was too few to do it every day. Not saying your thoughts are wrong, just different perspective

I wonder if those people are satisfied now that they have to do the same battle 14 times each day?
  • emoore123 wrote: »
    I just wanted to put my thoughts out here about conquest, as I see many are complaining or downing it.

1) Disagree. I have a job already, I do not want to play a game that feels like a second job. Previous conquests I played every day, and it was "ok" for that two weeks, but still a grind. This grind makes me feel like I have a job that I'll get underpaid for once my paycheck (aka loot crate) comes in.

2) Yes, max crate should be for long time players and whales, but going from max crate (or box 6 in my case) to box 3-4 is a HUGE drop in rewards, and further takes the fun and willingness to engage with the mode from the players. Why put in more effort for less rewards? Most people wouldn't take a pay cut at their current jobs for more responsibility, and players shouldn't be expected to grind out extra feats to obtain very similar rewards.

3) It's nice that you feel you can experiment in your conquests. Most of us don't feel that way. As you don't care about rewards, I can see why failing a battle doesn't matter. But for the community at large, a failed battle is probably another 50 crystal sink into energy if they really want rewards. Shoot, even the wrong data disks now, or a failure of the player's basic understanding of how the code operates behind the scenes can even make a win put you behind. As others have pointed out, conquest is probably the most expensive mode for the players to date that CG has put out, and that's going to put off a lot of people, high spenders included since it's such a grind.

I'd love to keep things positive as you requested, so here it goes: I'm *positive* these changes were for the worst for the community. However, I'm hopeful CG will consider scaling things back for future conquests. Because if players like myself start having fun with conquests again, players like you will undoubtedly have double the fun.

Thanks for your feedback! For me, Maul is not going to do much, because I have garbage Mandos and no where close to LV. And CAT will help, but I’m still working on GR toons, so I can wait. That’s why I said the conquest toon rewards aren’t that important to me. I really like the great I get for it as I’m still trying to get toons geared up. I have SLKR, but no GAS or DM. I should have GAS soon thanks to the gear you get from Crate 2 in hard mode. I actually have stopped trying to get crate 3 because I want 50 injector pieces instead of 25! But I do see where you are coming from. I disagree with some of your points, but I understand your frustration and that of the community.
  • The worst thing they have done was to increase the energy cost per battle from 15 to 20 .... You just play less for the same price while you have more feats to do ....
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Harder than before but not as hard as I expected. Next one will be easier now we know how new data disks work

If you get the right disks.
  • I find Conquest to be boring and more boring and then some more boring... (I was going to keep doing that 14 times)

Here's my issue

When I unlocked BAM I got to fight the Mudhorn, that cool AT-AT, NPCs like Flametrooper, there were story elements. Why can't Conquest have anything like that? Outside of the Data Discs, which are pretty cool, they really added nothing we didn't have in Galactic Challenges; and even those have Fleet elements now.

I'm also concerned that it is being used to release new characters. Not being able to step back from Conquest because you're pressured by character unlocks might get really frustrating long term