Who can we expect to see for new toons?

Replies

• @AhnaldisGOAT
    MasterSeedy wrote: »
    Even if, for legal reasons, she can't be called "Mara Jade", I still want to see an "Emperor's Hand" character.

Then AIG wrote
    What on earth would be the legal problems?

Timothy Zahn created the character and LOVED her. He was also disappointed with how women characters were treated in the SW universe. As a result, when his early novels were wildly successful and Lucasfilm came to him offering a contract to write more novels, he forced them to include a provision in the contract that made it impossible for SW to use Mara Jade in any works going forward without his involvement and approval. (Although the same is true in reverse: Zahn can't write a Mara Jade novel without the approval and involvement of Lucasfilm then, Disney now.)

Timothy Zahn, when asked about this contract provision said that he would never approve of any use of the character unless she was given a good story arc that was important to whatever she was being included in.

Since SWGOH is not a video game that has any story to it at all, the joint IP ownership combined with Zahn's express statements about Jade not being used in the future unless she has a story, the likelihood of Zahn approving the character for SWGOH is low. Even worse, Disney and CG would know that it was low, and they won't spend time and money on lobbying Zahn just for the right to pay Zahn to consult on the creation of the Mara Jade SWGOH toon when they can create other toons without paying any consultant at all, much less one who is known to be protective of a character and has ultimate veto power over her use. What if they paid him consulting fees and he didn't like the final product and killed the SWGOH version of Mara Jade after they'd spent development money on it?

CG isn't going to put themselves in that risky situation. Heck, even Disney didn't put themselves in that situation when they could easily have generated fan interest by including Jade in the sequels.

The legal problems, then, boil down to this: Zahn is a full joint owner of rights to the character, and is protective of her, and that introduces headaches that might be overcome, but are too risky to spend money on trying to hurdle.
  • @AhnaldisGOAT
    MasterSeedy wrote: »
    Even if, for legal reasons, she can't be called "Mara Jade", I still want to see an "Emperor's Hand" character.

Then AIG wrote
    What on earth would be the legal problems?

Timothy Zahn created the character and LOVED her. He was also disappointed with how women characters were treated in the SW universe. As a result, when his early novels were wildly successful and Lucasfilm came to him offering a contract to write more novels, he forced them to include a provision in the contract that made it impossible for SW to use Mara Jade in any works going forward without his involvement and approval. (Although the same is true in reverse: Zahn can't write a Mara Jade novel without the approval and involvement of Lucasfilm then, Disney now.)

Timothy Zahn, when asked about this contract provision said that he would never approve of any use of the character unless she was given a good story arc that was important to whatever she was being included in.

Since SWGOH is not a video game that has any story to it at all, the joint IP ownership combined with Zahn's express statements about Jade not being used in the future unless she has a story, the likelihood of Zahn approving the character for SWGOH is low. Even worse, Disney and CG would know that it was low, and they won't spend time and money on lobbying Zahn just for the right to pay Zahn to consult on the creation of the Mara Jade SWGOH toon when they can create other toons without paying any consultant at all, much less one who is known to be protective of a character and has ultimate veto power over her use. What if they paid him consulting fees and he didn't like the final product and killed the SWGOH version of Mara Jade after they'd spent development money on it?

CG isn't going to put themselves in that risky situation. Heck, even Disney didn't put themselves in that situation when they could easily have generated fan interest by including Jade in the sequels.

The legal problems, then, boil down to this: Zahn is a full joint owner of rights to the character, and is protective of her, and that introduces headaches that might be overcome, but are too risky to spend money on trying to hurdle.

Thanks
  • Jar Jar Binks and Babu Frik
  • I would be happy to see a Naboo faction with Queen Amidala, Boss Nass, Jar Jar, etc.
    Some of the new characters from Visions would be nice too. Lop, Ocho and the Sith Elder would be at the top of my list from there.
  • Just give me Crosshair for my LV team and all will be right in the world.
  • Sebulba
  • How bout Jedi Training Leia from RoS?
  • Hammerhead
  • Darth Caldoth
  • Jabba the Hutt. The ultimate tank
  • Darth Plagueis
  • It would be nice to add some new ships for the fleets that are not complete. First Order, Resistance and Separatists can’t build a fleet on their own for instance.

Also, introducing accelerated farming for ships would be very nice too.
  • I'm on board with Babu Frik, though his name is blocked by the profanity filter in game.
    I'd like scout trooper to round out the remnants. Agent Kallus/ Fulcrum would be cool Iden Versio and inferno squad, and everything from Fallen order.
  • We need some more KotOR Jedi to complete the squad, maybe a GL on top of that... But, since Kathleen left CG they seem to not care about the Old Republic era anymore... #sad
    "You could warn me when I do something bad. Blink once for dark side, twice for light"
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    Nice to see some speculation going on. Wish I could say more.

You don't have to say anything, just type it!
  • Budgernaut
    118 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    Zuckuss, 4-LOM, Dengar, Punishing One, Mist Hunter.

Also Calo Nord, please!
    Post edited by Budgernaut on
  • Globuhl wrote: »
    It would be nice to add some new ships for the fleets that are not complete. First Order, Resistance and Separatists can’t build a fleet on their own for instance.

Also, introducing accelerated farming for ships would be very nice too.

Major Vonreg and his red TIE Fighter from Resistance would make a good addition to the First Order squad. Lots of good Resistance ships like a bomber and an A-Wing could help fill out their fleet too.
  • I have a theory that we will have a Separatist GL inbound soon. Between geonosians as Galactic Chase, Jango as the next month's reward, maybe Admiral Trench incoming as a new Marquee or Legendary toon, now it's the perfect time for a Separatist GL. Besides, it will be a good time to wrap up prequel content (though I would love some Gungans too, but I'm not sure if they will ever gonna happen at this point), just in time for the next era with Book of Boba Fett and Mandalorian S3 on the horizon, followed by maybe more Old Republic content with the KOTOR Remake. I doubt they will add Visions content, as they are stand alone stories non-canon (not by miles).
  • @Granolo
    I doubt they will add Visions content, as they are stand alone stories non-canon (not by miles).

Where have you found an explicit statement that these stories are non-canon? Just because most of them don't appear to be occurring simultaneously with explored parts of the canon timeline doesn't automatically mean that they're non-canon. They aren't directly connected (via their plot points or characters) with other canon materials, but again, just because something is new does not make it non-canon.

They could be non-canon, of course, and I'm not saying that they are canon. But I've seen no explicit statement one way or another. Since they're produced by Disney and shown on Disney+ there's no reason that they **can't** be canon... again, unless you have a specific statement to the contrary.
  • @Granolo
    I doubt they will add Visions content, as they are stand alone stories non-canon (not by miles).

Where have you found an explicit statement that these stories are non-canon? Just because most of them don't appear to be occurring simultaneously with explored parts of the canon timeline doesn't automatically mean that they're non-canon. They aren't directly connected (via their plot points or characters) with other canon materials, but again, just because something is new does not make it non-canon.

There's and interview with two producers with CNET, where the explicitely say that they are not canon, though maybe in future projects they might add some things of Visions, or at least use it as an influence.

• Thanks!
  • with Visions being non cannon, I doubt we will see anything from that show
  • Sith and Bounty Hunters
  • mesa176750 wrote: »

First pair is semi probable, being Jabba the Hut as a scoundrel GL and General Leia Organa as a rebel GL.

I dont see GL Jabba being a possibility at all.
    Hes not really an offensive character. If he were brought into the game, he'd be more akin to 3PO, MM and Wat, I.e. support, flee if last toon standing.
    Definately not GL worthy.
    But thats my opinion.
  • Some actual character or ship content would be super enjoyable at this point. Not relic 10 requirements but actual we care about the content and players. Thx for the gear crunch. Hail death jar jar!
  • Nightmara wrote: »
    Empire is seriously lacking units in comparison to other factions. Where are the Inquisitors, where are the Vader's Fist?

I seriously wish they would add the inquisitors. Rumors suggest the 5th brother might be in the kenobi series, maybe we will have to wait till then.
  • more characters??

When the Devs refuse to fix the Gear Crunch and restrict R8 materials even more so???

No thanks...
  • mesa176750 wrote: »

First pair is semi probable, being Jabba the Hut as a scoundrel GL and General Leia Organa as a rebel GL.

Hes not really an offensive character. If he were brought into the game, he'd be more akin to 3PO, MM and Wat, I.e. support, flee if last toon standing.
    But thats my opinion.

I could see a GL non-combatant Jabba. He’d have to have really powerful support abilities - maybe even a Summon - but hey, the main source of underground kill contracts would be a great source of Deathmark…
  • TargetEadu wrote: »
    mesa176750 wrote: »

But thats my opinion.

I could see a GL non-combatant Jabba. He’d have to have really powerful support abilities - maybe even a Summon - but hey, the main source of underground kill contracts would be a great source of Deathmark…

That's kind of what I envisioned. As a pure support, he could potentially take a bonus turn at the start of the battle and "carbon freeze" someone (ignoring taunt and not applicable to GLs) which would essentially put them on a long duration stun, taking them out of the fight for several turns. Maybe they can't be defeated however when frozen like this.

Still, there are great ways to make it work and feel like a GL.
  • I think we'll see some more content from Mandolorian S2 released to coincide with the hype from the release of the Book of Boba Fett, as the two series are linked. Likely a marquee scarred Boba (the Mando version, saving the Book of Boba Fett crime lord version for some sort of legendary or more type event), along with a marquee Fennec Shand. Add another version of the slave 1 with them as pilots to help flesh out ships.

They could also release Bo-Katan's ship (maybe with a marquee of Koska Reeves as a copilot). And an X-wing with one of the pilots from the Mando Seasons.

As a lark, they could release Cobb Vanth with Tuskan synergies :D