[MEGA] State of the Gear-laxy

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Rekhinoo wrote: »
    To restrict r9 mats to top tier guilds with over 300kk gp it's another nail in the coffin.
    My guild has 258kk, so now we need to kick lower players out and recruit others with bigger gp, or do we have to inflate our gp? So the r9 will be available only to whales guilds or what?
    The guy who made this was a genius!

What's wrong with working and developing your group to get to your goal? Treat your guild, like your roster.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    The goal isn’t to make r8/r9 easy since they are endgame relic tiers hence no impulse detectors

And you know what Ultra, I have absolutely zero problems with that. What I DO have problems with is when MULTIPLE R8 is required to stay in the meta. I’m fine with it being ultra-endgame, like 330 mil, 33 DSTB stars endgame, but not with it being required for GLs and capital ships. And if R9 is required for the next one…
  • Why tease the gear updates, but then not implement them with this Phase 1 update. Even if just the daily challenges were updated with additional gear which doesn't seem difficult that would have been a great good faith step forward.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    The fact that R9 STILL needs every single piece of relic material, including aero’s and impulse detectors makes this progression even worse.

CG, give the older relic materials a rest at this point already. We now need hundreds each of the circuit boards, wiring and transitors. We need over a hundred each of heatsinks, electriums and zimbiddles. Now we need another 20 aero and 20 impulse detectors to go along with 20 each of the brains and keypads. Let’s not forget another big chunk of signal data.

Come on….that’s not right. The move to make G12 more accessible (in older toons at least since Kyro’s are needed in the hundreds for each new one now), but R9 is going to limit players to get to G13 and then not much further. Stop reusing the same materials over and over

I'm pretty sure kryos are a part of all of this.

They are, where did you see this? Not being a smart guy, I’m genuinely curious
  • Why tease the gear updates, but then not implement them with this Phase 1 update. Even if just the daily challenges were updated with additional gear which doesn't seem difficult that would have been a great good faith step forward.

I agree but I don’t think we are far off from all of phase 1 being pushed. I have a feeling we see it the second week of October right with the RA
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    Things to keep in mind:

This is the first phase of addressing the gear economy, not the final phase.
    The TW MM changes are meant to create more competitive match-ups and discourage sandbagging.

Being less secretive about the full plan might help...

If the MM algorithm were known to the public, then the concern is it would be easier to exploit. So, we're not gonna elaborate on it more than a high-level view.

This is understandable, but also doesn't show much confidence that it is really any good, if you are concerned about it being exploited.

Matchmaking is algorithm, and every algorithm can be exploited

I mean, I doubt any top software company can be confident about their product if their source code was leaked
    Never heard of open source software? Linux, Firefox, Python etc.

Is SWGOH an open source software?
    Did I say that it was? Did I suggest making it so?

You are the one who brought open source into the discussion, not me. And there is a big difference between sharing some information about a PVP matchmaking algorithm for a mobile game and making the whole application open source.
    Are you saying if Android / Apple proprietary source code got leaked there wouldn't be any vulnerabilities? I know you know its not the same thing. Being open source from inception vs proprietary is two different things
    Android is open source. You can
    clone the source
    for yourself. And it' built on the Linux kernel which is also open source and can be cloned from github.

And are you saying that closed source does not have vulnerabilities? Because I would laugh and point you to Microsoft Windows, the most compromised O/S on the planet.

So you can stop blowing the whole question way out of proportion. This is about one algorithm, nothing more.
  • In the post, we were told the higher guilds are going to be placing more defensive teams. Was wondering when we are going to receive the breakdown of how many more teams guilds are going to be required to place based on GP.
  • TargetEadu
    1513 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    Nauros wrote: »
    Things to keep in mind:

This is the first phase of addressing the gear economy, not the final phase.
    The TW MM changes are meant to create more competitive match-ups and discourage sandbagging.

Being less secretive about the full plan might help...

If the MM algorithm were known to the public, then the concern is it would be easier to exploit. So, we're not gonna elaborate on it more than a high-level view.

This is understandable, but also doesn't show much confidence that it is really any good, if you are concerned about it being exploited.

Matchmaking is algorithm, and every algorithm can be exploited

I mean, I doubt any top software company can be confident about their product if their source code was leaked
    Never heard of open source software? Linux, Firefox, Python etc.

Is SWGOH an open source software?
    Did I say that it was? Did I suggest making it so?

You are the one who brought open source into the discussion, not me. And there is a big difference between sharing some information about a PVP matchmaking algorithm for a mobile game and making the whole application open source.
    And are you saying that closed source does not have vulnerabilities? Because I would laugh and point you to Microsoft Windows, the most compromised O/S on the planet.

So you can stop blowing the whole question way out of proportion. This is about one algorithm, nothing more.

I’m no Computer Scientist, but I’m pretty sure there’s a difference between a closed source having vulnerabilities and publishing those vulnerabilities to the public.

Well that broke formatting a lot.
  • Arrowsmith23
    127 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    Some people are never just happy.

Phase 1 changes very positive
    Phase 2 & potentially 3 on its way no reason to complain...

People acting shocked that R9 has arrived. Imagine the toxicity if R9 arrived without the gear crunch announcement!
  • Loppie wrote: »
    Not gonna lie. I bought the 3 packs of R9 gear earlier today. Put it on my JML. Shot up from 27th in arena to 1st. First time I've been at no.1 in over a year. Absolutely crushing Kenobis now. Loving it!

And lo and behold we get an announcement that JML is dealing too much damage and they are on the case.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »
    The fact that R9 STILL needs every single piece of relic material, including aero’s and impulse detectors makes this progression even worse.

CG, give the older relic materials a rest at this point already. We now need hundreds each of the circuit boards, wiring and transitors. We need over a hundred each of heatsinks, electriums and zimbiddles. Now we need another 20 aero and 20 impulse detectors to go along with 20 each of the brains and keypads. Let’s not forget another big chunk of signal data.

Come on….that’s not right. The move to make G12 more accessible (in older toons at least since Kyro’s are needed in the hundreds for each new one now), but R9 is going to limit players to get to G13 and then not much further. Stop reusing the same materials over and over

I'm pretty sure kryos are a part of all of this.

They are, where did you see this? Not being a smart guy, I’m genuinely curious

This came up in our conversations and I think they fall into the core gear, and yes we asked for the list of what was there, but no we didnt get that full list.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Ronin131 wrote: »
    In the post, we were told the higher guilds are going to be placing more defensive teams. Was wondering when we are going to receive the breakdown of how many more teams guilds are going to be required to place based on GP.

Doja said he is looking into getting this information.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Rekhinoo wrote: »
    To restrict r9 mats to top tier guilds with over 300kk gp it's another nail in the coffin.
    My guild has 258kk, so now we need to kick lower players out and recruit others with bigger gp, or do we have to inflate our gp? So the r9 will be available only to whales guilds or what?
    The guy who made this was a genius!

What's wrong with working and developing your group to get to your goal? Treat your guild, like your roster.

Wrangling cats may be easier. :p
  • twstdbydsn
    1101 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    Oh hey look JML is dealing too much damage with R9 ... gotta nerf 'em all!

For a hot second I thought about dropping $150 and now that won't happen.
  • twstdbydsn wrote: »

The bug is not limited to r9
  • twstdbydsn
    1101 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    twstdbydsn wrote: »

So they just messed something up without R9?

True, however this further proves that they’ll fix bugs that help us in a hot second but let bugs that hurt and hinder us go on for weeks, months or even years (see undying loyalty and Teebo bugs).

Wish they would let this go as it mainly affects PVE viability…oh wait that would mean more effectiveness in grindquest….can’t have that now lol

Yup

Yup

Gotta love it.
  • @Ravens1113
    Wish they would let this go as it mainly affects PVE viability…

I suspect that the reason that they're jumping on this is because it affects the balance of power between JML and JMK, which is not about PvE. If JMK players can no longer smash through JML squads during their daily arena climb, that's also going to cause outrage.

NOW...
    ...all that said, you're correct that bugs that help players are corrected much more quickly than bugs that hurt players, and I find that as terrible as you.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    edited September 2021

This is just terrible that bugs helping players get fixed ASAP, yet bugs that hurt players are left alone, or take forever to get fixed. I’m sure that this JML bug will get fixed before the DR Deathmark bug in Grindquest.
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • Wouldn't it make more sense to implement the TW matchup balancing and validate it actually worked before adding exclusive rewards (r9)? We often see the first pass at updates have unintended impacts...
  • @Ravens1113

I suspect that the reason that they're jumping on this is because it affects the balance of power between JML and JMK, which is not about PvE. If JMK players can no longer smash through JML squads during their daily arena climb, that's also going to cause outrage.

NOW...
    ...all that said, you're correct that bugs that help players are corrected much more quickly than bugs that hurt players, and I find that as terrible as you.

Which needs to be reversed. They can give us all the gear they want. Idc. I love how I just lost ANOTHER GAC round because of the executor cleanse bug. I’m so sick of their priorities in bug fixes. What a joke
  • I love how I just lost ANOTHER GAC round because of the executor cleanse bug. I’m so sick of their priorities in bug fixes.

Many condolences and fully agree. I'm getting Exec because my crystal income depends on it, but I'm **greatly** relieved that my shard hasn't seemed to make Exec a priority (I'll unlock this month and haven't seen anyone else using it yet, but I'm surprised we haven't had our first and would be shocked if no one else unlocks at the same time.) The downside, of course, is that mirrors are going to be a pain, as you already know.

My plan is to swap my Exec out for Nego or Mal for overnight defense. My secret hope is that this delays other people thinking that they have to get Exec themselves, and maybe we can keep the infestation to a minimum.

Even after the breach bug is fixed, mirrors won't be fun, but right now? I'll sacrifice a lot to save myself from MirrorHades.
  • Xx1xx2xx2
    143 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    So, you call it resolve solution?y12svsugxkog.jpg
    ijedrx4q4lsu.jpg
    8vii9vmkq9qg.jpg

I ask 1 time, can we back to assault battles 2days in a row?
  • MasterSeedy
    4992 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    To be fair, we're probably going to be getting a heck of a lot more of the core gear from Daily Challenges than from TW.

Which brings up another question... I've read this whole thread, I think, though I did skim a few of the longer comments, and I haven't seen anything on

1) exactly what the new Daily Challenge rewards will be (e.g. how many Stun Guns on which days, how many Stun Cuffs on which days, etc.)
    or
    2) when, exactly, the new Daily Challenge rewards will be implemented.

If anyone does have that info, I'd be grateful for it.
  • It's funny that someone already posted on Reddit about having a world first R9 Lord Vader. That credit card game on fleek lol.
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    @Ravens1113

NOW...

Which needs to be reversed. They can give us all the gear they want. Idc. I love how I just lost ANOTHER GAC round because of the executor cleanse bug. I’m so sick of their priorities in bug fixes. What a joke

They just fixed the bug in yesterday's update, and my RC on offense, cleansed himself on my fleet arena climb today
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Why tease the gear updates, but then not implement them with this Phase 1 update. Even if just the daily challenges were updated with additional gear which doesn't seem difficult that would have been a great good faith step forward.

The tease is because they were being asked daily about it so they are confirming right here and now, that yes, they are resolving the gear crunch and this is the first step
This discussion has been closed.