[MEGA] State of the Gear-laxy

Replies

• VladoVD
    22 posts Member
    edited October 2021
    WTH is this matchmaking now?! and how TH is fair?!! Why should we fight against krakens, because they lost a lot in the past?! and how this will help us to become a stronger guild faster?! I don't see anything fair and balanced in this s*it, when you're put in a situation where there's only one option - to lose. CG, please stop with this changes lately - WTH is wrong with you, why you want more people to quit playing this game?! you made almost everyone angry with the great nerf, the conquest, early r9 and now this.. WTH - this greed begins to border on madness and/or total incompetence
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    Why are you dropping relic 9 before you make the phase 1 gear changes?

Address the crunch then you can release new gear/relic gates.

You jumped the shark again CG.

R9 was delayed from August and is late as it is and was announced long before the gear changes

Sure, but it still shows CGs true priority when they are more interested in a blatant cash grab than fixing the gear system that has been broken for years.

There was no immediate need for r9, so there is no reason they couldn't wait until the gear changes were ready before releasing it together.

It'll be interesting to see how long we have to wait for the alleged improvement for G12+. I'm guessing around Christmas?

It wasn’t broken

R9 has a need, we aren’t privy to future plans so we can’t comment whether there was an immediate need for it or not

I disagree. When they require you to farm insane amounts of the same gear from G8-G12+ and make the drop rate so low that you're tempted to spend crystals or money on it just to ease the struggle, then that is broken.

If I'm on Candy Crush and I'm stuck on a hard level they offer me great time based boosters for <£2.99. If I want 25 mkV stun guns that is 700 crystals, which requires buying a pack for £9.99.

But what if I have, for example, 4 toons being geared towards SEE? I could require 200 of them at the same time. Now imagine all the other toons I'm trying to gear to balance the roster. Suddenly from G8-G12 we're looking at 1000+ stun guns.

Now imagine I have 4 G12s working towards G13. And they all require kyro shock prods. That's 400 of them that I need. Then imagine I am also gearing beskar trashadorian to make RC better for my Executor fleet. He needs 200 kyro prods just to reach G10. And it only continues requiring more of them.

So given the insane amounts of set gear required and lack of non-grinding methods of farming them, at what point do you consider that to be a broken system?

And given how long this change has been asked for, why do CG feel it is somehow more important to give the top tier players a new relic level to play with than fixing the biggest issue with the game?
  • Smalltalk387
    7 posts Member
    edited October 2021
    Just want to make sure that I understand that our wins and losses will now be manipulated by the match making system and will no longer be controlled by our effort, modding, coordination or ability to understand the mechanics of the game?

So basically we just wait until the matchmaking tells us to compete?

From a players perspective since the July Road Ahead here has what has happened. CG nerfed several characters that were cornerstones to being competitive with off meta counters which has made GAC terrible. CG messed up several phases of DS Geo TB. The most important mission in LS Geo TB. Fleet arena has been hampered by bugs and an unspectacular new meta. Conquest went from a mild inconvenience to a time consuming barrier to arena success. And now TW are far more intensive. The rationale behind each of these actions still seems quizzical for the most part. I'm sure since character arena has been mostly calm that LV and Maul will make it loathsome. From a long term player perspective I do not know if the morale overall could be any lower.

R9 was delayed from August and is late as it is and was announced long before the gear changes

Sure, but it still shows CGs true priority when they are more interested in a blatant cash grab than fixing the gear system that has been broken for years.

There was no immediate need for r9, so there is no reason they couldn't wait until the gear changes were ready before releasing it together.

It'll be interesting to see how long we have to wait for the alleged improvement for G12+. I'm guessing around Christmas?

It wasn’t broken

R9 has a need, we aren’t privy to future plans so we can’t comment whether there was an immediate need for it or not

Yeah….their need is $$$. That’s it. That’s literally all there is to it. $150 for one R9 character….riiiigghhht.

Don't agree with the r9 pricing myself, or the pack, but that's entirely different (price of r9) vs why r9 needs to be in game for the health of the game

Yes R9 generates money, but I am talking about the importance of R9 to the health / progression of the game

Why is R9 important for the health/progression of the game? Serious question, the only reasons I can find aren't related at all with that.

• So basically we just wait until the matchmaking tells us to compete?

And this week the matchmaking has told us... uh uh no win rewards for you
    w1b682gfzkv6.png

This isn't even sandbagging, as far as I can make out they have full participation (which would make sense to push them into the upper division) so when they win they'll get r8 materials. We don't have full participation so we're actually in the 200-219.9 division, this puts them 4 divisions above us!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

It wasn’t broken

Yeah….their need is $$$. That’s it. That’s literally all there is to it. $150 for one R9 character….riiiigghhht.

Don't agree with the r9 pricing myself, or the pack, but that's entirely different (price of r9) vs why r9 needs to be in game for the health of the game

Yes R9 generates money, but I am talking about the importance of R9 to the health / progression of the game

If R9 is so important to the overall health of the game then why did CG make it nearly impossible to get R9 unless you shell out $150 or belong to a top tiered guild? For my guild, it’ll take 20 TW victories to get one R9 character…..

Because having a carrot and a reason to develop more and progress as a player and a guild is good for the health of the game.

Also creating a more "intensive" competitive atmosphere is also a good thing for the health of the game, and part of a longer term plan that should be taking shape over the next few months involving individual game modes.

Yes this game has a pace, it is different for each player.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

It wasn’t broken

I disagree. When they require you to farm insane amounts of the same gear from G8-G12+ and make the drop rate so low that you're tempted to spend crystals or money on it just to ease the struggle, then that is broken.

The game has a pace, this pace helps drive the importance of the decisions we make as players.

The drop rates are fixed, you can easily plan and see what the timeline is, you only need to spend (crystal or $$) if you want to change what you see there, and you can do it all without $$, if you so choose.

Not liking the pace is not the same as being broken.
  • Kyno wrote: »

It wasn’t broken

If R9 is so important to the overall health of the game then why did CG make it nearly impossible to get R9 unless you shell out $150 or belong to a top tiered guild? For my guild, it’ll take 20 TW victories to get one R9 character…..

Because having a carrot and a reason to develop more and progress as a player and a guild is good for the health of the game.

Also creating a more "intensive" competitive atmosphere is also a good thing for the health of the game, and part of a longer term plan that should be taking shape over the next few months involving individual game modes.

Were we out of carrots? I must be further behind than I thought: P
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

It wasn’t broken

Were we out of carrots? I must be further behind than I thought: P

Can never have too many carrots. 😉
  • Really hating these changes….sigh…par the course
  • Just want to make sure that I understand that our wins and losses will now be manipulated by the match making system and will no longer be controlled by our effort, modding, coordination or ability to understand the mechanics of the game?

Yep.

If you get a bad match, have each guild member set 1 defense and collect rewards.

After enough losses you will be served up an easy match where you can steamroll your opponent in a few hours.

Rinse and repeat. So much fun!

It wasn’t broken

The game has a pace, this pace helps drive the importance of the decisions we make as players.

The drop rates are fixed, you can easily plan and see what the timeline is, you only need to spend (crystal or $$) if you want to change what you see there, and you can do it all without $$, if you so choose.

You mean a snail's pace? You can't deny that the pace of this game is incredibly slow. Why? Because CG want us to spend $$$.
  • And yes Kyno, compared to most mobile games this game is heavily tilted towards encouraging people to spend $$$ to progress. Do I think its a broken system? Heck yes, otherwise there would be more variety in the gear used to level up the characters. It's just a bottleneck designed to frustrate people into taking shortcuts. That is broken.

It wasn’t broken

Yeah that might make sense if it was actually attainable for more than 1% of the entire player base. I don’t buy it and I doubt anyone besides apologists do either. It’s a cash grab and it’s as simple as that. R8 was already enough of a carrot. They brought R9 too fast.
  • BeralCator wrote: »
    Just want to make sure that I understand that our wins and losses will now be manipulated by the match making system and will no longer be controlled by our effort, modding, coordination or ability to understand the mechanics of the game?

Yep.

If you get a bad match, have each guild member set 1 defense and collect rewards.

After enough losses you will be served up an easy match where you can steamroll your opponent in a few hours.

Sounds like a good way to minimize rewards. I would certainly encourage all guilds (except mine) to take this approach.
  • Acymetric wrote: »
    BeralCator wrote: »

Yep.

Sounds like a good way to minimize rewards. I would certainly encourage all guilds (except mine) to take this approach.

Your comment doesn't make any sense. There is no way to minimize rewards. You can't get less than 2nd place. Regardless of whether you lose by 1 or 20,000 you still get the same stuff.

If you get dealt an unwinnable matchup, the only way to win is to not waste your time validating this travesty of a matchmaking system.
  • See the moderators are grabbing the low hanging fruit and ignoring anything with some weight. Fun times it would be admirable if one of the two people designated to actually be engaging with the community would interject. Queue Kyno with the Doja and Crumb are aware comments.
  • I'm in a fairly competitive international guild with a mix of ftp and whales. We have had a supportive, at times casual, approach to goh, cos we love Star Wars. Good discord community and all.

We set 46 teams in todays match up, looks like a loss for us, because that matchmaking and level of defense requires hours of gameplay. It's just insane. Plus a conquest wrapping up, and GAC, and the dailies.

There'll be fallout in the guild because we expected folks to be playing when they were out on the Sunday family trips. Not sure I can continue paying for a game that causes so much disenchantment and frustration through insane commitment.

I'm very grateful to the guild officers for the work they voluntarily put in.

I've just started watching Squid Game on a popular streaming network. I didn't realise how much swgoh feels like that right now.

I can choose to walk away, I do feel very attached to the 4 years of effort I've put in. Please CG sort this mess out.
  • Actually we faced one of the worst matchmakings since a few month
  • Didn't grab a screenshot, but the juice isn't anywhere near worth the squeeze.
    1 point of damage and 10 seconds of time can offer full kyro pieces from CPIT, whereas hours of unwanted planning, implementing and execution by 49 members results in a little extra G11 gear and a very small amount of Relic salvage that nobody really needed (bronzium / aurodium).

The other part of R9 requires a slack 260 of heavily required G12+ gear on top, so the TW piece will just bank up like the CPIT piece while everyone continues to use them to reach G13.

TW update was welcome and I hope the new matchmaking system eventually works out, but this is currently another swing and a miss.

• Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    i agree

I got 5 bronziums for the effort and it wasn't worth it
    i agree

I got 5 bronziums for the effort and it wasn't worth it

Same, this rewards suck. And b.gel 3, nice joke.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

It wasn’t broken

You mean a snail's pace? You can't deny that the pace of this game is incredibly slow. Why? Because CG want us to spend $$$.

Correct. I dont think anyone has ever said anything other than this, other than to call it a marathon, and not a sprint, which means the same thing.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    And yes Kyno, compared to most mobile games this game is heavily tilted towards encouraging people to spend $$$ to progress. Do I think its a broken system? Heck yes, otherwise there would be more variety in the gear used to level up the characters. It's just a bottleneck designed to frustrate people into taking shortcuts. That is broken.

Broken would require something to not be working, the game makes money and people are still trying to play it, so by no standard definition is this system broke.

Also, from my understanding this game is more F2P friendly than others of it's type.

Veteran players do very well also.

Bottlenecks =/= broken, even having old bottlenecks =/= broken, and variety =/= player friendly.

We all have things we want to be different, but these kinds of blanket statements are not helpful in any constructive way.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

It wasn’t broken

Yeah that might make sense if it was actually attainable for more than 1% of the entire player base. I don’t buy it and I doubt anyone besides apologists do either. It’s a cash grab and it’s as simple as that. R8 was already enough of a carrot. They brought R9 too fast.

We don't need r9 for anything, so how is it brought out too early?

If it's only a cash grab, how does it have a negative effect on players?

What should CG do to defend against f2p veterans in high level guilds getting these precious rewards? And why do you think they are giving them away to the most likely spenders for free, if it's only to get money?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    See the moderators are grabbing the low hanging fruit and ignoring anything with some weight. Fun times it would be admirable if one of the two people designated to actually be engaging with the community would interject. Queue Kyno with the Doja and Crumb are aware comments.

Queue Kyno:

It's the weekend, they are not likely to comment on anything until Monday at the earliest.

What would you like to see addressed?
  • The_Nev
    22 posts Member
    edited October 2021

Both carrot and stick are usually held by the same entity. CG is holding the carrot but has delegated the stick to the guild, or more specifically, the guild leaders. Guilds forcing guild members to spend time they don't have performing tasks they are not interested in is not healthy for a guild ergo not healthy for the game.

Guilds were already disrupted when you changed Conquest with people leaving guilds not doing crancor for guilds that are doing crancor because box 6 in conquest is no longer attainable (at present) now CG does what it does with TW and more upheaval is in the guilds.

Healthy guilds doing what they can, along with reasonable game modes that whales/krackens can spend to mitigate time is what keeps the game healthy and CG are implementing too many changes too fast that upset that.

Do me a favour CG please dont do anything to GAC (except some extra rewards perhaps) to make it "fair" or for the "health" of the game. Its the only mode keeping me in the game right now. I Dred to think what would happen to GAC matchmaking if you do to it what you just did to TW.

P.S. hurry up with the CC vs Dev matches so we can see what a level playing field GAC match would look like!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    The_Nev wrote: »

Both carrot and stick are usually held by the same entity. CG is holding the carrot but has delegated the stick to the guild, or more specifically, the guild leaders. Guilds forcing guild members to spend time they don't have performing tasks they are not interested in is not healthy for a guild ergo not healthy for the game.

Guilds were already disrupted when you changed Conquest with people leaving guilds not doing crancor for guilds that are doing crancor because box 6 in conquest is no longer attainable (at present) now CG does what it does with TW and more upheaval is in the guilds.

Healthy guilds doing what they can, along with reasonable game modes that whales/krackens can spend to mitigate time is what keeps the game healthy and CG are implementing too many changes too fast that upset that.

Do me a favour CG please dont do anything to GAC (except some extra rewards perhaps) to make it "fair" or for the "health" of the game. Its the only mode keeping me in the game right now. I Dred to think what would happen to GAC matchmaking if you do to it what you just did to TW.

P.S. hurry up with the CC vs Dev matches so we can see what a level playing field GAC match would look like!

TBF, I dont believe CG has ever gone to someone house or made any threats to them, to make them do anything in game.

If someone feels they need something so much in game that they feel "the stick", they are doing that to themselves.

The game is a grind, and they just hang carrots whenever they can and they offer opportunities.

I 100% agree (and have expressed both here and to them) that we are seeing a large uptick in time needed to complete things, and I agree that this is not ideal or going to lead to a healthy situation for the game.

I disagree that you need to feel like you are forcing someone to do something that they dont want to do. It can be hard to be a leader and officer in a guild, but it should be a group of a similar mindset and cooperative relationship. While we are all friends, there are times and things that can cause us to examine the situation and realize that not everyone is of the same mindset and maybe things need to change, either for particular people or the guild. If players in guild dont want to be a part of that team, then there is a change that may need to take place.

There is a lot of discussions about changes and new things coming that are likely to have an effect on all game modes, GAC is not likely to be excluded from that.
This discussion has been closed.