CAT catchup

Why is the previously featured character take LONGER to acquire than the new featured toy? This is just silly. The old character should be currently in for up to 10 shards at each shop node AND you should be able to get 90 shards. THAT is a catch-up mechanic.

I returned after a break I missed CAT release in conquest (And the easy farm that it was). I have JMK and friends and doesn’t really matter for navigating squad arena without CAT.

Am I the only one that sees a problem with giving everyone CAT with a much easier conquest then ramping it up for the rest of us.

Replies

• Dkfusion wrote: »
    Am I the only one that sees a problem with giving everyone CAT with a much easier conquest then ramping it up for the rest of us.

Maybe
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    The featured character takes the same amount of time to acquire each time, if you are getting the same crate each time. The the lower the crate you get the longer it will take to get the character released through this structure.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    The featured character takes the same amount of time to acquire each time, if you are getting the same crate each time. The the lower the crate you get the longer it will take to get the character released through this structure.

That's the theory, but not the reality for most.

Yes, there was a small number of people who got CAT after the first release when you could get 110 shards per conquest. Problem is that's a very small minority of people. For the vast majority of people, that didn't happen. So if, you're not super elite, you don't get it first shot and you're then penalized for it by having it take more than twice as long (i think the max is 50 now) as it did originally AND it's in a much harder conquest.

Don't get me wrong. You can say the same about a marquee. It's really easy to get that toon 3* or whatever in a few minutes because the event gets you there. You're on vacation/beak that week and you have to farm those 50 shards to get there AND those shards aren't going to be available to farm for a few weeks. So, you're still behind the eight all so to speak.

The difference here is, with that marquee character, you're just behind on that character. With these conquest releases, once you miss one, you're screwed for the remainder at this point unless you decide to flat out skip one, and frankly, these things are too powerful to skip. So, when you have to play catchup through the Maul phase on CAT, you're now even further behind on Maul. As a result, you're even further behind on what's next and so on.

It's a built in mechanic - intentional or not - that lets the upper level pull ever further away from the pack and punishes the pack by keeping them from being able to catch up in a reasonable amount of time.

Again, i get that the concept has been built in since nearly the games initial release. In general, i'm not really disagreeing with it either. However, this methodology is aggressively punitive in that it pushes you ever further back on subsequent releases.
  • cboath7 wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

Yes, there was a small number of people who got CAT after the first release when you could get 110 shards per conquest. Problem is that's a very small minority of people. For the vast majority of people, that didn't happen. So if, you're not super elite, you don't get it first shot and you're then penalized for it by having it take more than twice as long (i think the max is 50 now) as it did originally AND it's in a much harder conquest.

Don't get me wrong. You can say the same about a marquee. It's really easy to get that toon 3* or whatever in a few minutes because the event gets you there. You're on vacation/beak that week and you have to farm those 50 shards to get there AND those shards aren't going to be available to farm for a few weeks. So, you're still behind the eight all so to speak.

The difference here is, with that marquee character, you're just behind on that character. With these conquest releases, once you miss one, you're screwed for the remainder at this point unless you decide to flat out skip one, and frankly, these things are too powerful to skip. So, when you have to play catchup through the Maul phase on CAT, you're now even further behind on Maul. As a result, you're even further behind on what's next and so on.

It's a built in mechanic - intentional or not - that lets the upper level pull ever further away from the pack and punishes the pack by keeping them from being able to catch up in a reasonable amount of time.

Again, i get that the concept has been built in since nearly the games initial release. In general, i'm not really disagreeing with it either. However, this methodology is aggressively punitive in that it pushes you ever further back on subsequent releases.

I disagree with the super-elite comment. Many people got CAT with 4MM gps - which is why the new conquest was toned up (imho). You didn’t need to be super elite to max conquest back then.
  • Here’s the thing about Conquest reward characters, aside from the Razor Crest, is that they should be unlock-able for anyone able to achieve the maximum crate in Hard Conquest and spend the conquest currency to be purchase 20 additional shards for the first 3 Conquests following its release. You did not have to be “elite” to unlock CAT, it’s just if you had the right teams even those at <5M GP could’ve unlocked CAT the first time around.

Following Maul’s release and the updated changes to Conquest, you now are required to have a far deeper roster to achieve the max reward crate that would allow you to unlock Maul in the first 3 Conquests.

That’s completely fine, as that gives those who have invested a lot more into their roster to get ahead of those who weren’t able to do the same. The notion that there should be a quick and easy way for lower level people to catch up is just wrong.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    cboath7 wrote: »

Much like other release structures it rewards "commitment". With the way it is staged, you can "make up" some level of lower rewards without any struggles. I missed 1 max crate for CAT, and with a second crate reward last Conquest, I am back on track for CAT, and right where I planned to be for Maul. No extra expenditure to stay on my track.

This is a meta driven game, so any time behind the meta you are "falling behind", but planning and execution can definitely make up for that.

Players who are able to complete Conquest at the highest level will have an advantage and the changes to this game mode made that more of an investment, no one is getting this for free. Players are being rewarded for their investment.

Especially for CAT, the idea that you needed to be super elite to get her is not entirely accurate. Even now we are seeing players getting max crate with lower end rosters, but some ability to invest more crystals to make it work. Veteran players have an advantage as they are likely to have more factions ready to go.

You do not need to fall behind on one to get another. In fact, you can get each character using the normal structure getting the second box, its just takes longer.
    Second tier reward box + 3 rounds of shard purchases in Conquest + 3 lower rewards from the next set of second tier reward boxes.
    (65×3)+60+(25×3)=330

Yes if you miss an event or rewards box it will take even longer. Yes this is designed to be a motivating factor to keep being involved, but also something that can be used to plan your moves, if, for instance, you are not going to get DV soon.

It will be more expensive but if it's really something you need or a player feels it's worththe investment you can get back on track through the Conquest store. I know it's just the other side of the coin, but rewarding commitment or loyalty is always going to be seen as a punishment when you are on the other side of the situation. If anyone can easily make up time or whatever without some level of investment after the fact, why would it matter to be here or ready for the "first go". But to your last part there, no you do not need to break track on the new one to get caught up on the second one, unless that fits some plans you have.

As with many things in game, this is designed to reward people and give them a place to grow and develop into.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    OP is upset bc only elite players get the elite prizes? I would agree that ramping up the difficulty this much does hurt all players.

https://c.tenor.com/8-l8tEAVJgMAAAAC/ketchup-catsup.gifg3r67xy9hhlh.gif

Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • jonnysiniwal
    675 posts Member
    edited October 2021
    The reward structure for conquest is a little strange, but you have a choice. Get the red crates and open the character right away, or wait for them to be farmable elsewhere. You have to make this choice every conquest. There isn't supposed to be a catch up mechanic for new characters. A lot of people who say they can't get the red crate are wrong. There are definitely a lot of people who can but just can't bring themselves to grind through it. And that is their choice, but they definitely can. There are plenty of guides on YouTube showing how to do everything without GLs and even with low gear. I completed every sector feat this time and the majority of my smugglers, nightsisters, Phoenix, bad batch, are g11 or lower. If you want the new characters from conquest you have to suffer like the rest of us or wait until they are farmable.
    Post edited by jonnysiniwal on
  • I’m on track to unlock both Maul and CAT at the end of Conquest 9. However, I’m stuck at 270 RC shards (working on BAM still so not actually unlocked). In order to get those shards, I either need to spend Conquest Currency - and ruin my chances at Maul or whoever the next character is - or spend around 6,000 crystals. Which I actually could do, but would very much suck.

Or wait an extra 6 months for the Executor, which would similarly suck.
  • I kinda agree, should get less shards of a new toon (maul) and more for the older toy. In conquest rewards that is. I do not think they should be released anywhere outside of conquest until they have run their course and are no longer available from conquest
  • cboath7 wrote: »

I disagree with the super-elite comment. Many people got CAT with 4MM gps - which is why the new conquest was toned up (imho). You didn’t need to be super elite to max conquest back then.

I do not consider myself a super elite player, only 5.5 M GP and 1 GL, and got 100% on Conquest 8
    Invested 1,200 crystals in total to get to red crate (assuming 3 refreshes per day, 8 days)

But yeah, was tedious as heck and a sink of crystals and time indeed, but I need those R8 mats, just changed my guild a short time ago so I can start getting them from CRancor, before that, Conquest was my only R8 mats source
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    I feel like the lowered rate for the older toon is the equivalent of waiting months if you missed a legendary the first time.

After about a year, they may become really easy to acquire shards for.
  • This may be a bit of an aside, but in curious as to the plan for how long toons will stay in the scavenger shop. For example, I am at 3.9 mil GP and stuck in normal mode but have gotten max crate each time. I have 110 CAT shards and need 90 RC shards for 7 star. I'm okay with it taking longer for me to get these toons, but I'm concerned about the longer term plan for these characters. I'd hate to use all of my tickets on CAT to then have her gone from scavenger before I'm able to unlock her (obviously she wouldn't disappear forever). This is just to be used as an example for my question of- what's the long term (at least semi long term) plan for these characters? Will new ones come and bump them out? It's possible I missed this in an update from them, but I haven't heard anything and was just wondering how I should play things out! Would love to hear folk's prediction for them.
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Dkfusion wrote: »
    Why is the previously featured character take LONGER to acquire than the new featured toy?

To reward the people who put in the effort to max her conquests.

She’ll become miles easier to obtain after the year mark when CG will add her to some new node or event (based on their conquest unit structure)
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited October 2021
    Din__Fin wrote: »
    This may be a bit of an aside, but in curious as to the plan for how long toons will stay in the scavenger shop. For example, I am at 3.9 mil GP and stuck in normal mode but have gotten max crate each time. I have 110 CAT shards and need 90 RC shards for 7 star. I'm okay with it taking longer for me to get these toons, but I'm concerned about the longer term plan for these characters. I'd hate to use all of my tickets on CAT to then have her gone from scavenger before I'm able to unlock her (obviously she wouldn't disappear forever). This is just to be used as an example for my question of- what's the long term (at least semi long term) plan for these characters? Will new ones come and bump them out? It's possible I missed this in an update from them, but I haven't heard anything and was just wondering how I should play things out! Would love to hear folk's prediction for them.

@Din__Fin
    This is what we have for the character release structure of Conquest
    The 4th Conquest event will also mark some refinements to the Conquest unit cadence and how we plan to address these units in game.
    When we release a new unit to Conquest, we will do the following with previous Conquest exclusive units:
    -The older unit will remain in the End of Event rewards but will see the amount awarded in prize boxes reduced.
    -The amount of Conquest Currency needed to purchase shards will be slightly reduced.
    -Its unit shards will appear more frequently at Normal and/or Hard Node Merchants (Wandering Scavenger).

Several months later a third new unit will be introduced in Conquest and that first unit (Razor Crest in this case) will:
    -Leave End of Event Prizing
    -Stay on Node Merchants (Wandering Scavenger)
    -Get added to Conquest Shipments for Crystals and Conquest Currency
    -The last step for these units occurs approximately a year after their initial release

The unit will become more widely available and be moved to somewhere more accessible. The final details are undecided at this time but we are looking at adding to a Journey Guide style event or a Galactic Challenge. We will have more info on this in the future.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/244212/road-ahead-april-2021#latest
  • I didn't have a problem with the structure of moving the recent character or ship to lower shards when the new character or ship comes out. What was kind of sketchy though is that they dropped the CAT shards even lower than the RC shards had been when it was moved to second spot. For someone like me who had been getting the second to last reward crate for the CAT Conquests, I would have been able to unlock CAT on the 4th Conquest if they followed the same structure and had planned for that. But they didn't announce the further reduction of second spot shards until AFTER the first 3 CAT Conquests. If you're going to change the reward structure like that, then it should be announced when the character or ship appears in its first Conquest so people can adequately plan. Announcing it after CAT's first 3 Conquests were already in the books felt like a gotcha thing.