GAC match making update

Prev1
artusa
175 posts Member
I've been running into a lot of almost 8 million GP players who keep their GP low so they can battle 7.1 million GP players like myself. I think this comes from the top 80 rule, because we all have similar top 80 characters but we dont have similar top 100 characters. Considering that we have to place 50 characters (not including ships, which is a different matter) and we need 50 characters to fight it would make sense to create match making around the top 100 characters and not 80. It's out of date match making system. I think the match making system should be more sophisticated. For example, if you exe and 6 GLs then you should be fighting against similar. Not, if you have no exe and 4 1/2 GLs you are the only one in the room like that and you are fighting out of your league.

Replies

• This isn’t possible.

Since they rejigged the divisions, someone with 7.1M GP is in division 2, whilst people with 8M GP are in division 1, and cross divisional matchups do not exist.

Also, if you do need to place 50 and attack with 50, the matchmaking WILL be based on the GP of your top 100.
  • LynxVJ
    138 posts Member
    This is totally possible.
    Division is determined by your gp when the season starts.
    If a player near the division border holding all its upgrade before season starts, then upgrade everything after division is determined, he/she can add up to 300-500k gp during the season.
  • DarjeloSalas
    9944 posts Member
    edited October 2021
    OP’s GAC history is visible for all to see at https://swgoh.gg/p/394157951/

None of his 9 opponents have had almost 8M GP or been in division 1.

Edit: inserted “almost”
  • artusa
    175 posts Member
    This isn’t possible.

Since they rejigged the divisions, someone with 7.1M GP is in division 2, whilst people with 8M GP are in division 1, and cross divisional matchups do not exist.

Also, if you do need to place 50 and attack with 50, the matchmaking WILL be based on the GP of your top 100.

no, they are 8 million GP players who fall under that 8 million GP just barely, so think 7.9 million. Take off some mods from some toons and have an easy life.
  • artusa
    175 posts Member
    edited October 2021

aha, I am talking about this season. Suddenly I ran into 5 sub 8 million GP accounts. And I see that https://swgoh.gg/p/343174317/ you too are one of those kinds of players that do exactly what I’ve been saying. Hey why don’t relic those GLs ? You obviously have enough to relic trash like Piett and others. So no wonder why you are so defensive. Busted.
    Post edited by artusa on
  • As MM is based on Top 100 (in your case), the total GP of your opponent is (almost) irrelevant, as you won't use a lot of teams (if any) below your top 100. You most likely won't lose against a higher GP opponent because she has higher GP, except in case of a draw. You'll lose because she has a better top 100 and/or because she is a better tactician. Or because her Death Star is operational.
  • Depending on the amount of aeromagnifiers you get, you have to be selective about who you get to relic 8, so unlocking the executor would be a higher priority.

Sometimes you just get matched against someone with a higher GP, but what you can't do is cross the threshold into the next division and then remove mods to drop back down, because your GAC division is set by the highest GP that you've achieved and not what you are currently at.
  • artusa wrote: »

aha, I am talking about this season. Suddenly I ran into 5 sub 8 million GP accounts. And I see that https://swgoh.gg/p/343174317/ you too are one of those kinds of players that do exactly what I’ve been saying. Hey why don’t relic those GLs ? You obviously have enough to relic trash like Piett and others. So no wonder why you are so defensive. Busted.
    What on Earth are you talking about?

- All 5 of my GLs are relic 7 or 8. YOU are the person with a relic 3 GL.
    - Piett at relic 8 was a requirement for the Executor. If that’s trash, I don’t know how to help you.

I’m in division 1 with nearly 7.9M GP. I will never get drawn against you until your GP goes above 7.8M GP.

The reason you’re matching with people from the top end of division 2 is that you have 5 GLs. Back when I was in division 2 and had 5 GLs I used to get drawn against similar rosters.
  • j9kgye14nzg7.png

You're not helping yourself with bad mods and a top heavy roster. You've been playing long enough to have better stats than that.
  • j9kgye14nzg7.png

You're not helping yourself with bad mods and a top heavy roster. You've been playing long enough to have better stats than that.

Where did that chart come from? Looks very helpful.
  • Freedud1 wrote: »
    j9kgye14nzg7.png

HotUtils
  • artusa
    175 posts Member
    Freedud1 wrote: »
    j9kgye14nzg7.png

Your guild probably has a bot that can give this kind of format and information.
  • artusa
    175 posts Member
    Depending on the amount of aeromagnifiers you get, you have to be selective about who you get to relic 8, so unlocking the executor would be a higher priority.

Sometimes you just get matched against someone with a higher GP, but what you can't do is cross the threshold into the next division and then remove mods to drop back down, because your GAC division is set by the highest GP that you've achieved and not what you are currently at.

that's interesting, I wasn't aware that they took into account the highest GP that you've achieved and not current. In that case I take back everything I said.
  • artusa
    175 posts Member
    artusa wrote: »

What on Earth are you talking about?

- All 5 of my GLs are relic 7 or 8. YOU are the person with a relic 3 GL.
    - Piett at relic 8 was a requirement for the Executor. If that’s trash, I don’t know how to help you.

I’m in division 1 with nearly 7.9M GP. I will never get drawn against you until your GP goes above 7.8M GP.

The reason you’re matching with people from the top end of division 2 is that you have 5 GLs. Back when I was in division 2 and had 5 GLs I used to get drawn against similar rosters.

He's relic 3 to offset the other 4 r8 toons or else I would be put up against 6 GLs. Similar to when I had 2 GLs and I was going up against 3-4 Gls just because my 2 were r8, as they should be. Then when I got my 3rd GL r8 I went up against 4-5 GLs. So, to make the game more far for me, because match making isn't fair, I keep 1 GL at 3 but that still doesn't stop me from getting matched with all Exe and much higher lifetime banners. I don't know what else to do to keep it fair. I could get the exe but what will the consequence of that be for me ?
  • Keeping 1 GL at r3 is saving you ~13K GP. I don’t know for sure, but I’d be astonished if that makes any difference to the sort of people you are facing. I have never faced a 6 GL owner, for example, and I have less r6+ than you do.

As someone else has pointed out, your mods appear a long way behind where they should be at your stage.

But I still don’t understand the “busted” comment earlier. If someone with as bloated a roster as mine - and I’m only half a dozen toons away from being ready for LV - can be accused of nefarious activity, I really don’t know what would make you happy with matchmaking.

And claiming you have 4.5 GLs just because you keep JML at r3 is daft. You’ve got 5 GLs.
    I've been running into a lot of almost 8 million GP players who keep their GP low so they can battle 7.1 million GP players like myself. I think this comes from the top 80 rule, because we all have similar top 80 characters but we dont have similar top 100 characters. Considering that we have to place 50 characters (not including ships, which is a different matter) and we need 50 characters to fight it would make sense to create match making around the top 100 characters and not 80.

There has never been an official "top 80 rule". All CG said when the GAC format came out and replaced the old GA format is that matchmaking would be more weighted by our top squads and that low gear toons would have less impact on match-ups. In comparing match-ups, players basically figured out that the character GP seemed to be very similar in match-ups based upon the number of defenses set....i.e., for those players setting 8 defenses, the top 80 character GP was very similar. With the expanded defenses, the number of top characters that the matchmaking looks at seems to have been increased accordingly.

Overall GP has been basically irrelevant for match-ups since the GAC format started. Whether one player has a bunch of level 1 toons that they've done nothing with and the other player has a bunch of G7 and G8 bottom of the roster toons isn't going to have any impact on a GAC round where the players are fighting with dozens and dozens of G13 and G12 characters and none of those characters have any use anyway. Under the old GA format, tanking your roster was a way to game the system to get mismatches but that hasn't been the case for a long time.
  • Our 24 GL vs their 55… just to add another example to the myriad of matchmaking complaints…
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Eldorian wrote: »
    Our 24 GL vs their 55… just to add another example to the myriad of matchmaking complaints…

Wrong topic.
  • I have 1 GL. Most of the time I got matched with another player with more than 1GL with much higher gp than me. Needless to say, I lost most of the time. I was getting really upset and taking it way to personally. So, I just stop playing that event. No use to complain, who developed that event doesn’t care.
  • artusa
    175 posts Member
    I've been running into a lot of almost 8 million GP players who keep their GP low so they can battle 7.1 million GP players like myself. I think this comes from the top 80 rule, because we all have similar top 80 characters but we dont have similar top 100 characters. Considering that we have to place 50 characters (not including ships, which is a different matter) and we need 50 characters to fight it would make sense to create match making around the top 100 characters and not 80.

There has never been an official "top 80 rule". All CG said when the GAC format came out and replaced the old GA format is that matchmaking would be more weighted by our top squads and that low gear toons would have less impact on match-ups. In comparing match-ups, players basically figured out that the character GP seemed to be very similar in match-ups based upon the number of defenses set....i.e., for those players setting 8 defenses, the top 80 character GP was very similar. With the expanded defenses, the number of top characters that the matchmaking looks at seems to have been increased accordingly.

Overall GP has been basically irrelevant for match-ups since the GAC format started. Whether one player has a bunch of level 1 toons that they've done nothing with and the other player has a bunch of G7 and G8 bottom of the roster toons isn't going to have any impact on a GAC round where the players are fighting with dozens and dozens of G13 and G12 characters and none of those characters have any use anyway. Under the old GA format, tanking your roster was a way to game the system to get mismatches but that hasn't been the case for a long time.

I totally disagree and if you ever used hotbot you would know that statistics speak for themself.
  • Ripperpa
    298 posts Member
    edited October 2021
    I also get matched up against guys with more gls. Since only gls can beat gls guess what happens. No sense to play these matches.
    Post edited by Kyno on
    He's relic 3 to offset the other 4 r8 toons or else I would be put up against 6 GLs. Similar to when I had 2 GLs and I was going up against 3-4 Gls just because my 2 were r8, as they should be. Then when I got my 3rd GL r8 I went up against 4-5 GLs. So, to make the game more far for me, because match making isn't fair, I keep 1 GL at 3 but that still doesn't stop me from getting matched with all Exe and much higher lifetime banners. I don't know what else to do to keep it fair. I could get the exe but what will the consequence of that be for me ?

Just up your game. I am always paired against more GLs or more meta like when my opponents have JKR, DR, Gas jkl etc when I don’t. Or when they have 7 stars Executor when I don’t. It is routine for me as I don’t hoard and have a pretty fluffy roster when I chase high GP as f2p. It is game anyway, you would feel better when you win an uphill battle, and don’t feel as bad since loss is should be more expected. At least that’s how I enjoyed the game, and have a pretty high lifetime score.

I totally disagree and if you ever used hotbot you would know that statistics speak for themself.
    Stat bots are useless because they don't tell me what I need to know. 1 mill+ lifetime banners and Kyber every single GAC, including the ones before GLs even existed.
  • Depending on the amount of aeromagnifiers you get, you have to be selective about who you get to relic 8, so unlocking the executor would be a higher priority.

That last part may be stated, but it's false. I've actually dropped back down a division once
  • Ripperpa wrote: »
    I also get matched up against guys with more gls. Since only gls can beat gls guess what happens. No sense to play these matches.

My last 3 opponents have 2 GLs, I have 1. I beat them all.
  • Vos_Landeck
    1666 posts Member
    edited October 2021

I use HotBot all the time for GAC match-ups. You weren't talking about statistics speaking for themself. You said there is a "top 80 rule" and CG would have to state that something is a rule for it to be an actual rule. You totally disagree that CG has never officially stated the matchmaking formula? Lol, please go ahead and post a copy of anything that CG has ever posted where they state they used a "top 80 rule". Like I said, players figured out that's basically what was happening, but CG has never officially stated their GAC matchmaking formulas.

I use HotBot all the time for GAC match-ups. You weren't talking about statistics speaking for themself. You said there is a "top 80 rule" and CG would have to state that something is a rule for it to be an actual rule. You totally disagree that CG has never officially stated the matchmaking formula? Lol, please go ahead and post a copy of anything that CG has ever posted where they state they used a "top 80 rule". Like I said, players figured out that's basically what was happening, but CG has never officially stated their GAC matchmaking formulas.
    The top x formula is based on this in-game description of GAC matchmaking..
    t89t2ztlhk8n.png

Yeah if they don't place both of them on def... I have this also sometimes, but not everyone is stupid like this. Lucky for you
    Ripperpa wrote: »

Yeah if they don't place both of them on def... I have this also sometimes, but not everyone is stupid like this. Lucky for you

The current number 1 in d3, who already has the premiere kyber champion title and more than 1m lifetime pts, has 3 GLs and never place more than 1 on D. I guess all his/her opponents are lucky to face such a stupid adversary.
  • I almost always face more GLs than I have. It's not an auto loss. Sometimes I beat the GLs they put on d. Sometimes they fail to clear my defence, or score so poorly that my multiple attacks to clear their GL didn't matter.

I have found the GAC matchmaking to be perfectly fine, even on my alt with a "bloated" roster with a full relic 4-5 prepared smuggler team that can't beat anything, and other things like every toon unlocked and upgraded to level 85, g7-8, abilities upgraded more than needed etc. All that "bloat" has no effect on my matches at all. I think I've missed kyber once maybe?

Team comps, strategy, tactics, mods, luck, it all matters and has more of an overall effect than just number of GLs.

Often I think the extra GL has been their downfall because the teams they got with it just aren't as good as the teams I have with that same portion of my GP.

I have yet to place a GL on d myself. I'd rather get to play with that thing that took so much work. And it seems to work for me.