F2P New account in 2021 - what is a good route to start?

Hello everyone.

I started a new f2p account three weeks ago, and I am at lvl 49. This is a mini account, on my main, I pursuited the 'regular' way of playing. Started Phoenix, Empire, Rebels, Galactic chars. However, in this mini, I decided to experiment with the farm-routes. My decision was to start a Separatist Dark and Jedi-Padme Light.

My report is the following on this so far:
The Geonosians will be extremely versatile on ground and in space. Nute Gunray lead before I will have the Alpha, Soldier, Spy, Poggle. Sun Fac will arrive with the fleet story, until then I focus on the gears of Nute, Soldier, Spy, Poggle. Tarkin will be kept upgraded for fleet battles too. Geo ships rock...

Light side: JK Anakin, Ashoka, and Old Ben start. I upgrade these 3. Though Ben will be dismissed as soon as I will have Yoda. Mace Windu and Barris Offee must be got. Barris from guild store, Windu from spare energy from nodes. Arena coins are needed for Nute in the shop.

As soon as I will have Yoda, 5 jedis will be available for me. The Geos will be able to get Padme, thus I will have a versatile Padme team with Anakin, Ashoka, Yoda, and Windu.

In my opinion, this method will yield its fruits a little bit later, but I will have 2 really good teams. We will see...i will make another report as I achieve progress.

What do you think? What is your opinion on this method?

Zsoltee

Replies

• @kerkzsolt Hello there!
    A general advice is to follow the guide just here below, put together by Intimmidation.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/245224/updated-new-player-farming-path-by-intimmydation
  • culealex wrote: »
    @kerkzsolt Hello there!
    A general advice is to follow the guide just here below, put together by Intimmidation.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/245224/updated-new-player-farming-path-by-intimmydation

Okey, i check out..though it would be better to provide personal experience of yours then to link someone else's guide..thanks anyway
  • And also, i would like to avoid phoenix altogether for a start....
  • Your approach (Seperatist and Jedi) is what I believe is the optimum F2P start. It is slower to start than the Phoenix - Empire approach but it leads you into two incredibly strong teams instead of a waste of space phoenix team. Having dead weight teams on your roster is a significant disadvantage in GAC.

I am using a similar approach (different Jedi but same idea) in my SLKR farm that I am documenting on youtube.

Intymdations approach is good too, but I feel that he undervalued GL's too much when he started (they also made changes to make GL's even better since he started). In today's SWGOH he who has the most GL's wins

Grum the third swgoh.gg https://swgoh.gg/p/144884575/
    || Grum the Mighty swgoh.gg || OldBaldGuyGaming Youtube
  • @OldBaldGuyGaming - Luminara? Why do you do this to yourself? I will go for Barriss....Do you have any fors for Luminara? I think I will do a kind of video like you later...will see...
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    [...]

Intymdations approach is good too, but I feel that he undervalued GL's too much when he started (they also made changes to make GL's even better since he started). In today's SWGOH he who has the most GL's wins

Are you sure about this? His goal with his farming path was to get a GL (SEE) ASAP.

• kerkzsolt wrote: »
    @OldBaldGuyGaming - Luminara? Why do you do this to yourself? I will go for Barriss....Do you have any fors for Luminara? I think I will do a kind of video like you later...will see...

I would watch it! I enjoy watching the trials and tribulations of the first year of SWGOH. Its so boring later than the early game is really fun to watch.

I also gave up the Lumi dream quickly :) Once I started doing the math I found a spot for an extra squad arena store farm to grab Kanan without major issue. Healers (other than self-heal like KRU) really have no place in a team after like level 50.

• Waqui wrote: »
    [...]

Are you sure about this? His goal with his farming path was to get a GL (SEE) ASAP.

I thought he was going GL Kenobi (which is great if you have a guild to carry you to R8 mats like he has)., I know he has been more focused on building a well-rounded roster than a GL focused roster. Its a great approach and is very strong at level 85. I just prefer a more focused less deep roster. Its good to have a variety of approaches for people see how they play out to make their decisions on what they want.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »
    [...]

I thought he was going GL Kenobi (which is great if you have a guild to carry you to R8 mats like he has)., I know he has been more focused on building a well-rounded roster than a GL focused roster. Its a great approach and is very strong at level 85. I just prefer a more focused less deep roster. Its good to have a variety of approaches for people see how they play out to make their decisions on what they want.

He mentioned SEE himself. However, I have no idea whether he changed focus since this:
    [...]

The Objective
    To take a f2p account from level 1 to 85 and beyond in the most efficient way possible, while putting together teams that will be useful long into the game, and in multiple areas. The idea is to try to do well in both Squad & Fleet Arenas, as well as Galactic Challenges, Assault Battles, Guild Events and GAC.

The Path
    Phoenix Squadron / Imperial Troopers / Geos > Padme > JKR > DR > Malak > SEE

(@TheChild_eats_eggs1 will go down a slightly different path so we can compare)
    [...]

Here is my newly created account's swgoh gg link, IntimmyD2
    https://swgoh.gg/p/283735865/

• @kerkzsolt
    Well you can check out my guide here in the New Player section, and it's more than a guide, it's really a blog of me following through that path on my alt (updated every 2 weeks now that I've hit level 85).

I would still say get Phoenix early as they are really easy to get (no hard node farms), and they perform really well early game b/c of the squad synergy, and really help you get through GW.

IF you were to forgo PS, then I think what you suggested is fine aiming for Geos (with Nute & Dooku early on) before you have all 5. Then you can also work towards Jedi. JKA & Ahsoka for sure especially since you start with them now, but then start farming Bastilla & Jolee as soon as you can get to their nodes which could also lead you into JKR. And I would recommend just getting Ezra & Kanan as 2 other jedi, that way if you do decide you want Phoenix later (for Thrawn) you already have 2 of them.

That's why PS is so good early, but the full team can get you both Palp & Thrawn, and then make up 40% of the jedi team needed for GMY.
    [...]

GL Kenobi is the aim on their 3m GP HDB account. Their alt on the f2p project is what Waqui is talking about
    My discord - BabyYoda#4470 My swgoh.gg - https://swgoh.gg/p/648565123/
  • Personally, now after having played with the GL changes a bit, my ideal route would be:

Phoenix -> Geos -> Troopers (gotta hard node farm piett, veers and id say range) -> Empire -> SEE

I highly recommend r5ing the entire trooper team, as that might even get you a spot in a CPit guild.
    The lineup would be Veers, Starck, Piett, Gideon and Range. thoose should, even at very low gear levels, allow you to solo p3 HSTR, and in most guilds that is enough for top 10 rewards. If you dont get to do CPit, you can leave range trooper at lower gear levels. and as a arena team, they will perform fairly decent, if you get good speed mods. (you can beat JKR and DR teams if you outspeed them, which isnt that hard with gideon)

you still get Geos for the early fleet (and you should farm vulture and hyena, and get malevolence). and as a secondary fleet, you would build a empire fleet, as you need stuff like the tie bomber for SEE anyways, and put relics on EP and RG, so the shuttle will be fairly strong as well.
  • Arva wrote: »
    Personally, now after having played with the GL changes a bit, my ideal route would be:

Phoenix -> Geos -> Troopers (gotta hard node farm piett, veers and id say range) -> Empire -> SEE

I highly recommend r5ing the entire trooper team, as that might even get you a spot in a CPit guild.
    The lineup would be Veers, Starck, Piett, Gideon and Range. thoose should, even at very low gear levels, allow you to solo p3 HSTR, and in most guilds that is enough for top 10 rewards. If you dont get to do CPit, you can leave range trooper at lower gear levels. and as a arena team, they will perform fairly decent, if you get good speed mods. (you can beat JKR and DR teams if you outspeed them, which isnt that hard with gideon)

you still get Geos for the early fleet (and you should farm vulture and hyena, and get malevolence). and as a secondary fleet, you would build a empire fleet, as you need stuff like the tie bomber for SEE anyways, and put relics on EP and RG, so the shuttle will be fairly strong as well.

Its also worth noting that Gideon and Dark Trooper go accellerated in the next few months (I think its Dec and February?) so if you farm them in a few months when you get closer to 85 it will be really fast.

[...]

GL Kenobi is the aim on their 3m GP HDB account. Their alt on the f2p project is what Waqui is talking about

Thanks! That makes more sense. GL Kenobi on a F2P first GL seemed aggressive :)

• Its also worth noting that Gideon and Dark Trooper go accellerated in the next few months (I think its Dec and February?) so if you farm them in a few months when you get closer to 85 it will be really fast.
    Yup, Gideon is December 3rd and Dark Trooper March 4th.

• So basically, @Arva is saying, "follow the Intimmydation path" ;)

And yes @OldBaldGuyGaming JMK path is on my main account where I should finish getting GAS in these next couple days, then on to gearing for JMK!
  • So how about an account thats already lvl 85 -returning player at around 400k /500 k .Rushing a GL makes sense as the squad/ fleet arenas are gone .Or go for a guild team building like probably geos wat ready first /maybe troopers 2nd as its good for assault/ and as someone mentioned a crancor team and 3rd go about clones for another crancor team + kam shards. And for ships you mnostly use geos as you have them wat ready / malevolance and maybe farm a bit vulture/ bomber to clear ship campaign and slowly climb into top 50 in ship arena? Then go for a GL or even GAS . Your thoughts?
  • @Son0fHeaven I would recommend Darth Loquitor on Youtube and his four follow-up videos on which path to take after you hit lvl 85.
  • Arva
    80 posts Member
    edited October 2021
    So how about an account thats already lvl 85 -returning player at around 400k /500 k .Rushing a GL makes sense as the squad/ fleet arenas are gone .Or go for a guild team building like probably geos wat ready first /maybe troopers 2nd as its good for assault/ and as someone mentioned a crancor team and 3rd go about clones for another crancor team + kam shards. And for ships you mnostly use geos as you have them wat ready / malevolance and maybe farm a bit vulture/ bomber to clear ship campaign and slowly climb into top 50 in ship arena? Then go for a GL or even GAS . Your thoughts?

my recommendation for that sort of account is restarting. its hard enough "catching" up as a f2p player. but if you dont allready have a GL and wont get any crystal income from both arenas, its incredible slow (you will be slower getting a GL, than restarting, getting fleet up and running, and getting crystals from there) and will feel very frustrating, if you care at all about any sort of "faster" progression.
    Your goal for a fairly new account is getting top 5 fleet rewards (thats like 250 more crystals per day than top 50, so quite a bit of energy refreshes you can afford. basically more than doubling your progress compared to not doing any energy refreshes at all)

Also keep in mind, the GLs that you "can" get early (SLKR, SEE, to a degree rey) will not get you good squad arena placements anymore in older shards, where people have gotten their JMK + CATs, and soon LV + Mauls.
  • Problem is that if a break is taken .....here you go again.I unterstand what you are saying but still you cant always restart .
  • Problem is that if a break is taken .....here you go again.I unterstand what you are saying but still you cant always restart .

GAC is based on GP and not time of account, so I would focus there. The most competitive GAC is building a very focused roster with big tentpole teams like DR, CLS, etc however its worth noting that you will start seeing GL's around 2m GP and just auto-lose to those teams most likely. Even at 3m GP though its not more than a couple a season so a focusesd roster will keep you up near the top rankings.

• Interesting approaches!
    I have the feeling that some of you talk about the same things, just your approaches are being placed on different time-scope. As a F2p starter player-account, in my opinion, I will focus on fewer, stronger teams. I start with the Geos and Padme, then Imp Troopers. 3 really good, strong teams for GAC. I am on lvl 51 now, 85 is far away, though, I understand some of the concerns, that focus should be maintained after lvl 85. GL or no GL is the question in the long run, or a deep-and-leveled roster against a more focused one. In my main account, my goal is to gather the legends, then go after the galactic ones...I have one fairly strong CLS team, though I am not doing well in GAC. In arena, CLS does better, in Conquest, and Fleet Arena (Hounds Tooth - Chimera) is good too. I have the feeling that it is impossible for a not-veteran player to catch up with the "elders", time-factor is just too strong in this game. I think, on my main, I will follow my wide-roster approach, while on my mini, I try out the focus-roster.
    Thank you for the good insights.