Returning after 4 or 5 years

Hello

I've recently returned back to game. I quit when the game was level 70 cap and didn't have a clue what I was doing at all.

I've been back about 5 weeks now. Got my phoenix up and running, and started a first order farm to eventually get a SLKR. That was the plan anyway.

My arena shard is horrid as you can imagine. I'm just facing lots of relics and zetas, generally everything is way above me but opponents are not very active. It's like I'm trying to kill inactive players to go up the ranks.

Nearing to level 85 now I'm concerned my roster isn't great for GAC. Hopefully the match making will be gentle.

What would you suggest the path I go?

Like I said, SLKR was my goal but I'm not sure if it's out of reach or will be not any good by the time I get there.

Appreciate any help.

https://swgoh.gg/p/163345578/

Replies

• Given the situation it's a no-brainer to start a new account in order to be competitive in at least fleet arena.
    Then, I would recommend the below starting guide in order to find an adequate focus.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/245224/updated-new-player-farming-path-by-intimmydation
  • culealex wrote: »
    Given the situation it's a no-brainer to start a new account in order to be competitive in at least fleet arena.
    Then, I would recommend the below starting guide in order to find an adequate focus.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/245224/updated-new-player-farming-path-by-intimmydation

Thanks for the reply. That's a shame on thinking I need to restart! Feels like a waste of months of time invested. However I do see your reasoning. I dont think I'll ever reach top 250 of arena or fleet considering how geared my opponents are in the 500-600 range which I'm in.

So SEE would be the friendlier F2P route would it. Would that be a good start for GAC too?

I have seen many guides, from apgains, ahnald, etc. So many to choose from..
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Do you plan to play competitively in arenas or just casually? If you're playing casually you may as well keep your current account, since even on a new account you won't reach/keep high ranks unless you play competitively. Also, as you noticed already your opponents in your current ranks are not very active whereas on a new shard you may be active every day only to reach significantly lower ranks. Furthermore, your current account will give you easier/faster access to game modes like hSTR, GAC Separatist might etc. However, if you want to play competitively you should chose a solid farming plan (/guide), create a new account, hit a new/young arena shard and prepare to play competitively every day.
  • Go for slkr as its an easyish farm. He will then get you possibly top 100-200 depending on how active your shard is. Then work from there.
  • JJ8
    21 posts Member
    Like you said, lots of potential paths - no single right way. Some of it depends on what you want to prioritize, which you may not be sure of yet. I found Darth Loquitur helpful - he offers four different possibilities depending on if you want to focus on PVP, income, guild, or going straight for a GL. For me, I'm doing a fairly early "rush" towards GAS. It's working pretty well for me. Gives lots of stability to the account with multiple competitive teams - geos, padme, sep droids, and gas / 501st which helps in GAC if thats important to you. Those teams are also helpful for guilds (and getting into a good guild). Also overlaps a lot with pilots for the negotiator and malevolence fleets, which are the best short of the executor which is very difficult to get. It's important to be thinking about ships and fleets the whole way through - it's the easiest way to get lots of crystal income. Whichever way you go, just make a plan and stick to it. Best of luck.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    Do you plan to play competitively in arenas or just casually? If you're playing casually you may as well keep your current account, since even on a new account you won't reach/keep high ranks unless you play competitively. Also, as you noticed already your opponents in your current ranks are not very active whereas on a new shard you may be active every day only to reach significantly lower ranks. Furthermore, your current account will give you easier/faster access to game modes like hSTR, GAC Separatist might etc. However, if you want to play competitively you should chose a solid farming plan (/guide), create a new account, hit a new/young arena shard and prepare to play competitively every day.

Thanks for the reply. I'm fairly casual. I login everyday and gets all my energies etc. I'm F2P. The guild I'm in is good. I'm getting shards for things I don't even plan on using though but I like it. Feels likes I'm getting somewhere.
  • Go for slkr as its an easyish farm. He will then get you possibly top 100-200 depending on how active your shard is. Then work from there.

Yeah that was my thought. I know it'll take prob 6 months from now for me to get him though. I havent budged in my arena ranking of 571 in 2 days. Yet all my opponent's are g13, relics, zetas etc. Kinda funny
  • JJ8 wrote: »
    Like you said, lots of potential paths - no single right way. Some of it depends on what you want to prioritize, which you may not be sure of yet. I found Darth Loquitur helpful - he offers four different possibilities depending on if you want to focus on PVP, income, guild, or going straight for a GL. For me, I'm doing a fairly early "rush" towards GAS. It's working pretty well for me. Gives lots of stability to the account with multiple competitive teams - geos, padme, sep droids, and gas / 501st which helps in GAC if thats important to you. Those teams are also helpful for guilds (and getting into a good guild). Also overlaps a lot with pilots for the negotiator and malevolence fleets, which are the best short of the executor which is very difficult to get. It's important to be thinking about ships and fleets the whole way through - it's the easiest way to get lots of crystal income. Whichever way you go, just make a plan and stick to it. Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply.

That's the trouble for the indecisive people, like me. There is so many paths to go down. And it feels too late once you start one sort of haha.

Since starting my path to slkr. Albeit not very farm mainly the ships are a pain. I have watched alot of swgoh videos and the GAS team, BHs and imperial troopers peak my interest the most.
  • I’d probably start a new account. It will take you 3 months to get from level 1 to 85 if you are logging daily and getting your refreshes. You will also be more competitive in both arenas and that means more crystals for more energy refreshes. If you’re thinking to get a GL early, you will get it faster with a new account IMO purely because you can easily get top 100 squad arena and top 5 fleet arena early on.

Someone already posted my thread for new player guide they has a good path to follow, which I’d suggest doing till at least 85 and then there are multiple paths you could follow. But just being able to get top 100 / 5 in both arenas every day is 400 crystals in the bank. It’s unlikely you will ever get that high on your old account, even with inactive players.

Of course you can still really enjoy the other game modes like GAC that is based on your GP, but getting daily crystals is huge.
  • I’d probably start a new account. It will take you 3 months to get from level 1 to 85 if you are logging daily and getting your refreshes. You will also be more competitive in both arenas and that means more crystals for more energy refreshes. If you’re thinking to get a GL early, you will get it faster with a new account IMO purely because you can easily get top 100 squad arena and top 5 fleet arena early on.

Someone already posted my thread for new player guide they has a good path to follow, which I’d suggest doing till at least 85 and then there are multiple paths you could follow. But just being able to get top 100 / 5 in both arenas every day is 400 crystals in the bank. It’s unlikely you will ever get that high on your old account, even with inactive players.

Of course you can still really enjoy the other game modes like GAC that is based on your GP, but getting daily crystals is huge.

Thanks for your response.

I've read your new account thread and enjoyed its progression.

If I were to buy any starter bundles. Which would you suggest? Bobba? IT? Phoenix? Just to get that initial boost
  • Redgum wrote: »

If I were to buy any starter bundles. Which would you suggest? Bobba? IT? Phoenix? Just to get that initial boost

I’d anything I’d go with the hyperdrive bundle which is $100. If you don’t want to spend that much, I wouldn’t bother with the other faction packs as you can farm them all pretty easy as f2p.

If you do go with HDB, I may suggest a slightly different route than my guide, though doesn’t vary by much

I’d anything I’d go with the hyperdrive bundle which is $100. If you don’t want to spend that much, I wouldn’t bother with the other faction packs as you can farm them all pretty easy as f2p.

If you do go with HDB, I may suggest a slightly different route than my guide, though doesn’t vary by much

Thanks. HBD def not an option. Was only going to spend 10-15 bucks tops lol.
  • @Redgum The most bang for the back among the starter bundles is the Bossk+HT pack (you can find it as a Millennium Falcon event pack via the Journey Guide) that you can buy when fleet opens up at lvl 60, IIRC. To have Hounds Tooth in a brand new fleet shard would be a good head start and yield crystals instantly.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Redgum wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »

Thanks for the reply. I'm fairly casual. I login everyday and gets all my energies etc. I'm F2P. The guild I'm in is good. I'm getting shards for things I don't even plan on using though but I like it. Feels likes I'm getting somewhere.

In that case I'd recommend that you keep your current account and go from there.

Regarding GAC and long term goals:

SLKR is still a great first GL since he will enable you to solo Heroic STR which is a great source for gear. All the required characters are accelerated already which makes farming them faster. However, you should make sure to join a guild that beats Heroic STR frequently to win more g12 and better gear before aiming for a GL.

Short term goals:

Take Thrawn to 7* ASAP. He will serve you well in GAC. You may be able to beat tier 7 of his event with your current Phoenix team if you mod them well. Don't waste more gear on them after you unlock Thrawn at 7*. Your empire/sith team will do well in GAC.

Take GM Yoda to 7*. He is great on a jedi team. Bastilla, Jolee, JKA and Old Ben are good jedi farms as well since you will need them at 7* eventually to unlock JKR, CLS etc.

Make sure that you gain access to the zeta ability materials challenge and the highest tier of credit heists ASAP to gain more resources.

Once you progress to the geonosis TBs your GET income will decrease significantly. Therefor, save all the GET you gain. Don't spend it on gear until you have HY, Wampa, GAS and Malak at 7*. (Wampa can be slow farmed from one of the BH events, though).

Tarkin is still considered the best fleet Commander early on. If you work on your fleet (Executrix, geonosians and their pilots) you may be able to reach higher ranks for more daily fleet currency.
  • Guides are meant to be helpful and provide advice on how to advance in this game. None of them are perfect. Follow them as much or as little as you like. Just remember to have fun. If that means you spend your resources on Tuskens because you liked them in the movies, do it!
    3v3 FTW
  • culealex wrote: »
    @Redgum The most bang for the back among the starter bundles is the Bossk+HT pack (you can find it as a Millennium Falcon event pack via the Journey Guide) that you can buy when fleet opens up at lvl 60, IIRC. To have Hounds Tooth in a brand new fleet shard would be a good head start and yield crystals instantly.

Thanks for that.

Only thing I don't like about all these 2021 starter guides is the Phoenix start. I find them to most boring team to play as. I like the idea of imperial troopers, just not the phoenix along side.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »

In that case I'd recommend that you keep your current account and go from there.

Regarding GAC and long term goals:

SLKR is still a great first GL since he will enable you to solo Heroic STR which is a great source for gear. All the required characters are accelerated already which makes farming them faster. However, you should make sure to join a guild that beats Heroic STR frequently to win more g12 and better gear before aiming for a GL.

Short term goals:

Take Thrawn to 7* ASAP. He will serve you well in GAC. You may be able to beat tier 7 of his event with your current Phoenix team if you mod them well. Don't waste more gear on them after you unlock Thrawn at 7*. Your empire/sith team will do well in GAC.

Take GM Yoda to 7*. He is great on a jedi team. Bastilla, Jolee, JKA and Old Ben are good jedi farms as well since you will need them at 7* eventually to unlock JKR, CLS etc.

Make sure that you gain access to the zeta ability materials challenge and the highest tier of credit heists ASAP to gain more resources.

Once you progress to the geonosis TBs your GET income will decrease significantly. Therefor, save all the GET you gain. Don't spend it on gear until you have HY, Wampa, GAS and Malak at 7*. (Wampa can be slow farmed from one of the BH events, though).

Tarkin is still considered the best fleet Commander early on. If you work on your fleet (Executrix, geonosians and their pilots) you may be able to reach higher ranks for more daily fleet currency.

That's for the advice. Yeah Thrawn is a pain in the bum to 7*. The ship grind is very detrimental to character farming. Seem to be refreshing my nodes to try get the extra drops each day to shorten in. I'm losing my mind getting them! The zeta mat challenge.. I'm still not there yet. My ships arnt good enough yet and the fleet credit crunch is real.
    My plan I think was towards slkr, but passively build up geos and imp troopers. Hadn't really thought much about the jedi teams tho!
    I finally broke under 500 in arena, finding the joke teams to beat. So a little extra income from that now
    culealex wrote: »
    @Redgum The most bang for the back among the starter bundles is the Bossk+HT pack (you can find it as a Millennium Falcon event pack via the Journey Guide) that you can buy when fleet opens up at lvl 60, IIRC. To have Hounds Tooth in a brand new fleet shard would be a good head start and yield crystals instantly.

Thanks for that.

Only thing I don't like about all these 2021 starter guides is the Phoenix start. I find them to most boring team to play as. I like the idea of imperial troopers, just not the phoenix along side.

Well the reason Phoenix is always recommended are because:
    1. They are easy to farm to 7* quickly (no hard node farms)
    2. The first team you really have a full squad "synergy"
    3. Gives you the full team to unlock both Palp & Thrawn
    4. Gives you 40% of the jedi needed to unlock GMY
    5. Actually are good at GW early on due to sustainability
    6. Pre-80 is the only time in the game they are actually useful
    culealex wrote: »

Thanks for that.

Well the reason Phoenix is always recommended are because:
    1. They are easy to farm to 7* quickly (no hard node farms)
    2. The first team you really have a full squad "synergy"
    3. Gives you the full team to unlock both Palp & Thrawn
    4. Gives you 40% of the jedi needed to unlock GMY
    5. Actually are good at GW early on due to sustainability
    6. Pre-80 is the only time in the game they are actually useful

Yeah. When I returned that was the first team I farmed up and was good for all those things. I understand. I think I'm just burnt out using them lol.
  • They are boring for sure, but still good idea to use them while you farm up your shards for Imp Troopers for example, or FO. Then once you switch you are done with PS forever.
  • They are boring for sure, but still good idea to use them while you farm up your shards for Imp Troopers for example, or FO. Then once you switch you are done with PS forever.

Yeah you're probably right.. How's your account looking now? Anything you'd have changed if doing it all over?
  • Intimmydation
    680 posts Member
    edited October 2021
    Yeah you're probably right.. How's your account looking now? Anything you'd have changed if doing it all over?

Overall there is no major change I would make as far as the characters I chose to farm and what order. A couple small tweaks may include / exclude:
    • Hounds Tooth & Bossk - I chose not to farm these 2 nodes once unlocked since I already had a lot of hard node farms at the time, and gear crunch is tough by then and energy needed to farm gear. I chose to go for Hyena Bomber and also IT Bomber as my 2 fleet tanks, and thankfully it worked out well because of the Malevolence galactic chase where I was able to unlock it. This means I already had the ideal Malev fleet (don't need HT), and in the interim period I could beat HT fleets with Geo trio under Executrix. I may go back to farm these once I finish some other ship farms, as it is still one of the best plug & play ships in the game.
    • Ackbar - After Kanan, Tarkin & Nute, I bought Ackbar shards to 330 (not activated) as the plan was to use Home One as my 2nd capital ship. Now with Malev it is not needed, so I have no need for AA right now (again I have not activated him), but could have used these Squad Arena tokens to buy more Prestige
    • Ahsoka, Boba Fett & Fives from Cantina Store - I bought these all the way to 7* but then always get a ton of shards through Bronziums. Since they are tier 2/3 teams for me now, I would have just brought them to 6* and let the remaining 100 shards come to me through Bronziums, and just bought more Chopper shards to convert to Shard Shop Currency. Fives I have not even activated yet, but he has all the shards needed for 7*
    • A 6th ship to 6* - I got all the ships required for the 6* Executrix and zeta mat challenge completed on time, but then for the final tier of the zeta mat challenge (where you get ship omega materials), I didn't have the 5th and 6th (especially 6th) ship ready for quite some time, so put me behind getting these materials. If doing it again, I'd probably keep buying ITF just because it's easy to get, even if you don't need to level it.

Overall my roster is super solid, and I'm now focused on taking my Vader to relics, and then working on Troopers to relics. Just treading water inside top 100 squad arena atm, but taking #1 in fleet every day quite easily with Malev (which should be 6* in not too much more time).
  • Redgum
    13 posts Member
    edited October 2021

Overall there is no major change I would make as far as the characters I chose to farm and what order. A couple small tweaks may include / exclude:
    • Hounds Tooth & Bossk - I chose not to farm these 2 nodes once unlocked since I already had a lot of hard node farms at the time, and gear crunch is tough by then and energy needed to farm gear. I chose to go for Hyena Bomber and also IT Bomber as my 2 fleet tanks, and thankfully it worked out well because of the Malevolence galactic chase where I was able to unlock it. This means I already had the ideal Malev fleet (don't need HT), and in the interim period I could beat HT fleets with Geo trio under Executrix. I may go back to farm these once I finish some other ship farms, as it is still one of the best plug & play ships in the game.
    • Ackbar - After Kanan, Tarkin & Nute, I bought Ackbar shards to 330 (not activated) as the plan was to use Home One as my 2nd capital ship. Now with Malev it is not needed, so I have no need for AA right now (again I have not activated him), but could have used these Squad Arena tokens to buy more Prestige
    • Ahsoka, Boba Fett & Fives from Cantina Store - I bought these all the way to 7* but then always get a ton of shards through Bronziums. Since they are tier 2/3 teams for me now, I would have just brought them to 6* and let the remaining 100 shards come to me through Bronziums, and just bought more Chopper shards to convert to Shard Shop Currency. Fives I have not even activated yet, but he has all the shards needed for 7*
    • A 6th ship to 6* - I got all the ships required for the 6* Executrix and zeta mat challenge completed on time, but then for the final tier of the zeta mat challenge (where you get ship omega materials), I didn't have the 5th and 6th (especially 6th) ship ready for quite some time, so put me behind getting these materials. If doing it again, I'd probably keep buying ITF just because it's easy to get, even if you don't need to level it.

Overall my roster is super solid, and I'm now focused on taking my Vader to relics, and then working on Troopers to relics. Just treading water inside top 100 squad arena atm, but taking #1 in fleet every day quite easily with Malev (which should be 6* in not too much more time).

Thanks for that. Interesting. I like the path. Out of curiosity do you have a link or something on his to find when a new arena shard starts? I've tried a few discord but to no avail.

Or is starting out in say top 5000 not a problem as you'll move quickly ?
    Or is starting out in say top 5000 not a problem as you'll move quickly ?

https://discord.gg/TsnjraDN

That is the link for the discord server that monitors when new shards are created. If you are going to buy HDB, you should monitor that closely and buy it as soon as a new shard is created so you already started near the top.

Starting at 5000 will be tough to climb your way up tbh, you will climb over the people who don't know what they are doing or give up, but you will reach a point where you stagnate for a long time until you start to get meta teams.

For example I started around 200-300 in my shard, never dropped out of 300 and now have climbed to where I hover around 100 (below 100 for my payout). I can't really move up further until I get my next squad going.