[MEGA] State of the Gear-laxy

Replies

• With Mk5 Droid Callers and Mk5 Stun Guns flowing at a steady rate, I rarely if ever buy these anymore. That means purchasing more g11 finishers with the same amount of Guild Token currency, since that currency isn't flowing elsewhere (at least not to the same degree).

I don't know if things are "fixed" (I'd like to see a few more carbantis and a few more stun cuffs, but it isn't a huge deal), but the gear crunch has been significantly eased for sub-g12 toons. What they've done on the sub-g12 gear crunch has so far been a definite win for me.

Guild Tokens are not meaningless (purchasing Mk3 Holos to trade for relic mats, g11 finishers, and occasional other things, especially stun cuffs and carbantis, when your upgrade path requires several of them in short succession all keep GT relevant), but bringing new toons to g12 is less and less held back by Mk4 Commlinks, Mk5 Droid Callers, and Mk5 Stun Guns. For those characters requiring many Kyros, the Kyro crunch may feel more frustrating, but older toons needed by newer & mid-tier players will be decidedly easier to gear, leading to a more reasonable "catch up" time frame.

Many people, of course, say that "catching up" is not a thing b/c you don't compete against higher gp in GAC or against older accounts in Arenas. However catching up really is a thing, and should be: SWGOH will always advertise its game using the latest shinies, and in particular will time those new things (whether game modes or characters or ships) to coincide with content releases from Disney, which then drive new players to the game.

If the newer players can't get a shot at the new game modes/characters/ships for five years, that's a problem: new players will quickly recognize that nothing that they got excited about is available to them, and instead of being as excited as we were to get Thrawn or CLS, many of them (if not most of them) will see them as outdated, nonspecial content (or at least will see them as not the content tied in with the latest Disney show that made them try the game in the first place).

Since all older players eventually retire, the more new players join, the less need CG will have to squeeze ever more dollars out of ever fewer players.

For these reasons, I think the moves so far have been necessary, and from my limited perspective seem to be a success.
  • RTS
    682 posts Member
    With Mk5 Droid Callers and Mk5 Stun Guns flowing at a steady rate, I rarely if ever buy these anymore. That means purchasing more g11 finishers with the same amount of Guild Token currency, since that currency isn't flowing elsewhere (at least not to the same degree).

I don't know if things are "fixed" (I'd like to see a few more carbantis and a few more stun cuffs, but it isn't a huge deal), but the gear crunch has been significantly eased for sub-g12 toons. What they've done on the sub-g12 gear crunch has so far been a definite win for me.

Guild Tokens are not meaningless (purchasing Mk3 Holos to trade for relic mats, g11 finishers, and occasional other things, especially stun cuffs and carbantis, when your upgrade path requires several of them in short succession all keep GT relevant), but bringing new toons to g12 is less and less held back by Mk4 Commlinks, Mk5 Droid Callers, and Mk5 Stun Guns. For those characters requiring many Kyros, the Kyro crunch may feel more frustrating, but older toons needed by newer & mid-tier players will be decidedly easier to gear, leading to a more reasonable "catch up" time frame.

Many people, of course, say that "catching up" is not a thing b/c you don't compete against higher gp in GAC or against older accounts in Arenas. However catching up really is a thing, and should be: SWGOH will always advertise its game using the latest shinies, and in particular will time those new things (whether game modes or characters or ships) to coincide with content releases from Disney, which then drive new players to the game.

If the newer players can't get a shot at the new game modes/characters/ships for five years, that's a problem: new players will quickly recognize that nothing that they got excited about is available to them, and instead of being as excited as we were to get Thrawn or CLS, many of them (if not most of them) will see them as outdated, nonspecial content (or at least will see them as not the content tied in with the latest Disney show that made them try the game in the first place).

Since all older players eventually retire, the more new players join, the less need CG will have to squeeze ever more dollars out of ever fewer players.

For these reasons, I think the moves so far have been necessary, and from my limited perspective seem to be a success.

Agree with you 100%.

I have shifted my store habits already to acocunt for this - where I was buying MK5 collars almost exclusively with guild currency I have stopped, and am now focusing on 3 main things: Mk3 holos, MK7 Sienars (since they aren't farmable) and carbantis (since those are now my premium crunch)

I actually salvaged 2 stun guns the other day!
  • RTS wrote: »
    With Mk5 Droid Callers and Mk5 Stun Guns flowing at a steady rate, I rarely if ever buy these anymore. That means purchasing more g11 finishers with the same amount of Guild Token currency, since that currency isn't flowing elsewhere (at least not to the same degree).

Agree with you 100%.

I have shifted my store habits already to acocunt for this - where I was buying MK5 collars almost exclusively with guild currency I have stopped, and am now focusing on 3 main things: Mk3 holos, MK7 Sienars (since they aren't farmable) and carbantis (since those are now my premium crunch)

I actually salvaged 2 stun guns the other day!

Same here. I’m quite annoyed by carbantis and kyros now. They’re the new crunch. I think carbantis need to be doubled in challenges rewards. And kyros should be fixed somehow.
    My discord - BabyYoda#4470 My swgoh.gg - https://swgoh.gg/p/648565123/
  • Many people, of course, say that "catching up" is not a thing b/c you don't compete against higher gp in GAC or against older accounts in Arenas. However catching up really is a thing, and should be: SWGOH will always advertise its game using the latest shinies, and in particular will time those new things (whether game modes or characters or ships) to coincide with content releases from Disney, which then drive new players to the game.

I was one of those ‘catching up is not a thing’ people. You changed my mind.
    See, it’s still possible to convince people with arguments.

• Is there a place to report really bad TW matchups?
  • Is there a place to report really bad TW matchups?

Guild leaders can report them in-game; it's a bit misleading as it says "Report Guild" but once you click on it you can choose between Cheating and Matchmaking. There is also a text box where you can further articulate the issue.

I flag all noncompetitive matches in either direction, but no idea if anyone looks at the reporting.
  • Greetings,

Thanks for your continued efforts to changing and keeping SWGOH fresh and fun!

As the new GaC rewards and crystals went live today I also noticed in the Squad Arena Currency Shop that the gear that was promised to help gear our other characters is slightly underwhelming. In the future are you going to have better gear put into that shop with the ones already present? It was exciting to see that there was going to be a new way to gear our characters other then just crystals. As some of us were holding out with this to help gear our other teams that are lack luster to say the least. This may hinder progress with GaC's new skill based matching. I was hoping we would have G11 and G12 gear available in this shop to help get our characters to relic or even scrap them to upgrade our already reliced characters beyond r1-3. Especially since r9 was just released and if there isn't a reliable way to get to r9 other than buying this makes r5-r8 strenuous for an underwhelming benefit to our character's stats when planning and utilizing skill building options for GaC. Just was curious and if not will there be other ways soon to get g11 and g12 gear other than the limited options we have right now. Like maybe a new game mode, shop, or raid?

Thanks ahead of time!
This discussion has been closed.