What’s so great about Mara Jade?

Prev1
Wookieebush
92 posts Member
edited November 2021
The only things I know about her is she was Luke’s wife. Can anyone explain some of the things she’s done that make so many people want her in swgoh?
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Some artists made her conventionally attractive and some sweaty nerds can't get over it.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• She was originally an assassin and elite operative who answered directly to Palpatine. She was known as The Emperor's Hand. She could hear his voice and communicate with him through the Force anywhere in the galaxy. In reality, Palpatine had many Hands, and each of them thought they were the only one. At the moment of his demise on the second Death Star, Palpatine showed Mara a false vision of Vader and Luke both turning their lightsabers on him, and he left a psychic echo in her mind. "YOU WILL KILL LUKE SKYWALKER!" It was a last bit of posthumous revenge against Anakin for betraying him. For the longest time, she thought it was her own desire, for when the Empire fell, she lost all of her privilege and status. She ended up being forced to team up with Luke time and again in a campaign against the original, EU version of Grand Admiral Thrawn (both characters were created in Heir to the Empire in 1991). She ended up fulfilling that Last Command by killing a clone of Luke, created from the hand he lost on Cloud City, wielding Anakin's lightsaber. At the end of that trilogy, Luke bequeathed his father's lightsaber to Mara. They went on several adventures for the next decade, slowly falling in love, and she married him and went from the Emperor's assassin to a Jedi Master in her own right. She has been around for longer than the prequel trilogy, and her lack of inclusion in the Disney canon so far is seen by a great many people - myself included - as a travesty that should be corrected if possible.

I hope that this answers your question to some degree.
  • I hope that this answers your question to some degree.

Did she only exist in comics and books? Or are there games with her in them?
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    She was originally an assassin and elite operative who answered directly to Palpatine. She was known as The Emperor's Hand. She could hear his voice and communicate with him through the Force anywhere in the galaxy. In reality, Palpatine had many Hands, and each of them thought they were the only one. At the moment of his demise on the second Death Star, Palpatine showed Mara a false vision of Vader and Luke both turning their lightsabers on him, and he left a psychic echo in her mind. "YOU WILL KILL LUKE SKYWALKER!" It was a last bit of posthumous revenge against Anakin for betraying him. For the longest time, she thought it was her own desire, for when the Empire fell, she lost all of her privilege and status. She ended up being forced to team up with Luke time and again in a campaign against the original, EU version of Grand Admiral Thrawn (both characters were created in Heir to the Empire in 1991). She ended up fulfilling that Last Command by killing a clone of Luke, created from the hand he lost on Cloud City, wielding Anakin's lightsaber. At the end of that trilogy, Luke bequeathed his father's lightsaber to Mara. They went on several adventures for the next decade, slowly falling in love, and she married him and went from the Emperor's assassin to a Jedi Master in her own right. She has been around for longer than the prequel trilogy, and her lack of inclusion in the Disney canon so far is seen by a great many people - myself included - as a travesty that should be corrected if possible.

I hope that this answers your question to some degree.

Wrong. It's what Jarvind said.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    Jarvind wrote: »
    Some artists made her conventionally attractive and some sweaty nerds can't get over it.

LOL

fax
  • Did she only exist in comics and books? Or are there games with her in them?

There was at least one: Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith is an expansion pack for the 1997 first-person shooter Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, developed and published by LucasArts for Microsoft Windows in 1998. It was later re-released on Steam in September 2009. The expansion includes a new single-player story mode and fifteen multiplayer maps. The single-player story, set in the fictional Star Wars expanded universe five years after the events of Dark Forces II, follows both returning protagonist Kyle Katarn, a Jedi Master and mercenary working for the New Republic, and Mara Jade, a character featured in numerous Star Wars expanded universe works, who is being trained by Katarn in the Jedi arts. After Katarn goes missing while investigating an ancient Sith temple, Jade continues her studies on her own while undertaking missions from the New Republic, eventually leaving to find Katarn.

8kc4ce91066d.jpg
  • Another character added to this game. Be excited or not. It's star wars all together, both camps are just annoying. Whether you know or don't know her. Like it or not, accept it and move on
  • Another character added to this game. Be excited or not. It's star wars all together, both camps are just annoying. Whether you know or don't know her. Like it or not, accept it and move on

Why do you even play the game, if you don't care about new characters?
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Jarvind wrote: »
    Some artists made her conventionally attractive and some sweaty nerds can't get over it.

LOL

fax

I can't tell if you're being serious and cynical or just trolling for a reaction. The fact that I have to wonder if you're trolling, though... You're coming off as being trolls, both of you. Just thought I'd let you know.
  • Deathbringer59
    562 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    @Blubcop I do care about new characters and excited for Mara Jade. Where is she going to fit? What tags she getting? Who knows but I do like it. A new toon is a new toon, regardless from the Era. Adds more depth to the game whether or not people like or are getting the toon.

I was more reacting to the people who don't care and are gonna complain. This post just seems like it's going to go down hill quickly.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    She was a bad **** character in Legends.
  • scuba wrote: »

And well written too
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    scuba wrote: »

And well written too

Agree. I only read the books, not the comics, but loved all of them.
    I think it hurt more when she died than Chewbacca

I agree with you one hundred percent! I also only read the books, but I confess that I stopped when the New Jedi Order books came around. The Yuuzhan Vong (sp?) just seemed less 'Star Wars' to me, but that's just my personal opinion, and I'm certainly not about to begrudge anyone who feels differently. And while I never read the scenes directly, I heard the news about what you mentioned in your spoiler tags, and I feel the same way. One of those instances was shocking to hear when I first heard about it, but the other one really hurt so very deeply to hear about.

I agree with you one hundred percent! I also only read the books, but I confess that I stopped when the New Jedi Order books came around. The Yuuzhan Vong (sp?) just seemed less 'Star Wars' to me, but that's just my personal opinion, and I'm certainly not about to begrudge anyone who feels differently. And while I never read the scenes directly, I heard the news about what you mentioned in your spoiler tags, and I feel the same way. One of those instances was shocking to hear when I first heard about it, but the other one really hurt so very deeply to hear about.

Started collecting them Star Wars books since I read the orig Thrawn trilogy to get my SW fix. Stopped reading during Yuuzhan Vong arc but enjoyed the "oldies" Fate of the Jedi series of books, especially the lore behind Sinkhole and Centerpoint stations and the Maw cluster
  • I haven't read any of the books, but one of my friends at the time tried explaining the Yuuzhan Vong thing to me and, in hindsight, that seems like a much more blatant and ham-fisted reboot than anything Disney made. I love the first two new movies, I think they were solid, for the record.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • #best star wars character, imo, and my gaming moniker. Probably get a scoundrel tag,but can also be emperor's hand, assassin, jedi, jedi master. Either way, we're getting her, and I'm thrilled!
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    scuba wrote: »

I have heard a lot that didn't like the new Jedi order series, and I can definitely understand that. Didn't help that some of the books where written by some bad authors, and had to force thru them to keep up with the story line.
    I have read every one of them though. It started when I was out on deployment and I wasn't much of a reader but it was Star wars.
  • All this sounds like a boost to Lord Vader’s status as a GL.

Assuming Starkiller and Mara Jade will get the Empire tag (note that it doesn’t say Mara Jade SKYWALKER.)
  • Definitely one of my favorite EU characters. As others have said, she had the title Emperor’s Hand, worked with the smuggler Talon Karrde, was a Jedi, and married Luke.
  • khdelboy wrote: »
    All this sounds like a boost to Lord Vader’s status as a GL.

Assuming Starkiller and Mara Jade will get the Empire tag (note that it doesn’t say Mara Jade SKYWALKER.)

It would bother me if she had synergy with Lord Vader, she really had no interactions with Vader.
  • NuSair wrote: »
    khdelboy wrote: »

It would bother me if she had synergy with Lord Vader, she really had no interactions with Vader.

Its not like SWGOH follows lore anyways ;)
  • It's actually not wrong to give her the "Imperial Remnant" tag.

And as for the "conventionally attractive/fanboi" angle, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I remember chatting in a group of women SW fans long before I remember her being talked about by guy SW fans. We liked her because she was a woman with a really great character arc. In fact, I was a little disappointed that she later married Luke. In the Thrawn trilogy she is working **with** many people, but always has her own agenda. She's never anyone's employee or underling, even when she seems to be to other characters in the SW universe. She had a complicated backstory and an interesting character arc and was second to no one. She wasn't reduced to anyone's romantic interest in the original trilogy where we came to know her. For women SW fans (especially pre-Padmé) she was a treasure.

Guys can like her for their own reasons (or hate her for their own reasons), but she was important to a whole bunch of people before she ever became the hot chick dating Luke.
  • NuSair wrote: »

What interactions did Maul have with LV?
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • What's so great? The great big piles of money CG will make.
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    NuSair wrote: »

Maul's shenanigans on Mandalore were a plot that played off of his knowledge that Anakin would turn to the dark side. I think he was attempting to try and convince Ahsoka to join him to stop that part, but she refused to trust him. There was never a point though that Anakin and Maul weren't adversarial.

• TVF
    36527 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »
    NuSair wrote: »

Maul's shenanigans on Mandalore were a plot that played off of his knowledge that Anakin would turn to the dark side. I think he was attempting to try and convince Ahsoka to join him to stop that part, but she refused to trust him. There was never a point though that Anakin and Maul weren't adversarial.

Impossible, since Maul died in TPM.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH