What’s so great about Mara Jade?

2Next

Replies

• LordDirt wrote: »
    NuSair wrote: »
    khdelboy wrote: »
    All this sounds like a boost to Lord Vader’s status as a GL.

Assuming Starkiller and Mara Jade will get the Empire tag (note that it doesn’t say Mara Jade SKYWALKER.)

It would bother me if she had synergy with Lord Vader, she really had no interactions with Vader.

What interactions did Maul have with LV?

Maul's shenanigans on Mandalore were a plot that played off of his knowledge that Anakin would turn to the dark side. I think he was attempting to try and convince Ahsoka to join him to stop that part, but she refused to trust him. There was never a point though that Anakin and Maul weren't adversarial.

So no interactions then, let alone working together, thanks.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • They were both Palpatine's apprentices, that's the interaction CG has to put them together. Just CG being CG... Nothing to see here, move along...
    "You could warn me when I do something bad. Blink once for dark side, twice for light"
  • MilHanso wrote: »
    They were both Palpatine's apprentices, that's the interaction CG has to put them together. Just CG being CG... Nothing to see here, move along...

Technically Maul wasn't his apprentice. ;)
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Depending on how deep into Legends they go with their characters, I wouldn't be against Mara Jade Skywalker as a Galactic Legend, with either Lumiya or Darth Caedus as her Dark Side counterpart. Emperor's Hand or Smuggler could be the marquee character, and maybe the other version could be a Journey character, maybe? But there are so many Legends characters out there, and few of them have the power of legacy that Mara Jade has, with her ascension to Jedi Master (and Luke's wife) being the pinnacle of her own, personal Legend.

Like it or not, Galactic Legends seem like they will be around for a while. Does anyone else think that some iteration of Mara Jade (Skywalker) deserves this treatment? If so, who do you think would make a good Dark Side counterpart?
  • cboath7
    455 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    LordDirt wrote: »
    NuSair wrote: »
    khdelboy wrote: »
    All this sounds like a boost to Lord Vader’s status as a GL.

Assuming Starkiller and Mara Jade will get the Empire tag (note that it doesn’t say Mara Jade SKYWALKER.)

It would bother me if she had synergy with Lord Vader, she really had no interactions with Vader.

What interactions did Maul have with LV?

He tried to attack him/qui gonn when anakin was 8 years old or whatever. That's about it.

From what i read, if it's 4 new marquees to get starkiller...the purpose is Rendar, Mara, kid from the last jedi game, and a 4th to get starkiller, and then after that Kyle Katarn as the GL.

Face it, Kyle is the reason we have star wars gaming in the first place, star of the first 4 games and the best ones.
  • I hope that this answers your question to some degree.

Did she only exist in comics and books? Or are there games with her in them?

SWCCG the card game did, don't know about computer game
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    I didn't know Kyle was in SW:KotOR I & II
  • I didn't know Kyle was in LEGO Star Wars
  • The only things I know about her is she was Luke’s wife. Can anyone explain some of the things she’s done that make so many people want her in swgoh?

I knew her from Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith. For me, it has one of the most beautiful boss battle in the history of videogames. I don't know much more about her in other media/story, but in my opinion the game has really something to say, even today.

I'll put it under spoiler, because it's about the last level.
    A big part of the game revolves around Mara trying to find his friend, apprentice and sometime master Kyle Katarn, the main protagonist of the Jedi Knight series. In the end she finds out he give in to the dark side, using an ancient power to become nearly unstoppable. This pursuit ends up in a swamp-like planet, in a sith temple imbued with darkness. Chasing him you realize he has lost himself. It's a sith now. Finally you confront Kyle and so the fight starts. And you lose. I mean, you literally die several time because Kyle is one hell of a super boss. So you load the save file and retry, and retry and retry.

Until you figure out one thing that few (or none?) games suggest you: stop the fight. A friend would really fight you to death?
    Mara is a close friend of Kyle, so if you, the player, refuse to fight, turning off your lightsaber, she tries to speak to him after a bit. Like, you know, a human being. Like a friend.
    With this act of kindness, Kyle has a moment of lucidity and so the fight stops. He realized how far he pushed himself, thanks to someone who loves him.

It may sound childish, but I deeply think that this kind of acts, that revolves around comprehension, empathy and dialogue are essential in our society. Some people struggle in their life. And sometime they just need that someone else puts off their weapon and tries to talk. Because they can't realize what is happening to them and what they are doing.

Of course i played it when a was a kid and I could have romanced it with the years, but that kind of compassion still hit me.
    So, the answer for me is: Mara is one of the most human and empathic character I had the occasion to see and play in a videogame (and in an industry, and a society) who mainly revolves around violence this is like a bengala in the night.
  • The only things I know about her is she was Luke’s wife. Can anyone explain some of the things she’s done that make so many people want her in swgoh?
    My quick interpretation:

She had orders to kill Luke, she failed. She wanted vengeance because Palpatine got killed.

How powerful was the character of Luke is, and force for good does he have to be, to calm her, turn her away from the Dark Side, and get her to marry him?

Before you start thinking Luke was a "Mary Sue" type to do that. It was not done in the course of 1 book. It was literally years in-universe timeline.

Which is kinda funny as Kathleen Kennedy says "there was no source material" before starting on the sequel trilogy.
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    The only things I know about her is she was Luke’s wife. Can anyone explain some of the things she’s done that make so many people want her in swgoh?
    My quick interpretation:

She had orders to kill Luke, she failed. She wanted vengeance because Palpatine got killed.

How powerful was the character of Luke is, and force for good does he have to be, to calm her, turn her away from the Dark Side, and get her to marry him?

Before you start thinking Luke was a "Mary Sue" type to do that. It was not done in the course of 1 book. It was literally years in-universe timeline.

Which is kinda funny as Kathleen Kennedy says "there was no source material" before starting on the sequel trilogy.

Wait, Luke used the force to get her to marry him? DarkSide Luke confirmed!

Op, read the books.

Also, what @Jarvind said. Then again, that’s why I thought everyone likes Gen. HelloThere, so there’s that. We need playable Jabba to break the stereotypes!
    Maybe End Game isn't for you

• Does anyone else think that some iteration of Mara Jade (Skywalker) deserves this treatment? If so, who do you think would make a good Dark Side counterpart?

Yes. Duh, Thrawn!
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Gifafi wrote: »

Op, read the books.

Sound advice! I don't read a lot (paper as opposed to electronic) anymore, but the Thrawn series was most excellent!
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.