Actually OT: Anyone else excited for Hawkeye?

What? It's also a Disney property. They can't get too mad at me, can they?

I love the Kate Bishop character and I really liked the Fraction take on Hawkeye. I learned a tiny bit of ASL when I was living with a severely HoH roommate in the mid 90s, not enough to ever really communicate, but better than nothing. The process of learning this entirely new way to connect with other people, to translate meaning into symbol and back into meaning was a true challenge for me, and so when Barton had to go through that, that learning process I could relate to (even if the deafness wasn't).

Ever since I heard Kate Bishop was going to be brought to the screen I was excited, and when I found out they would be drawing heavily from Matt Fraction's run, I've been over the forest moon of Endor. Now I'm 7 hours away and I am so, supremely excited.

Anyone with me?

Replies

• Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    I’m pretty excited, and am pretty eager to see how it will turn out.
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • I'm not excited but it gives me something new to watch.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • I’m defo excited for Hawkeye, but have to wait till the weekend to watch it :cry:
    My discord - BabyYoda#4470 My swgoh.gg - https://swgoh.gg/p/648565123/
  • The two episodes were ok, nothing too great. Do look forward to seeing where it goes from here.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • The best thing for me so far has been seeing the Swordsman (although tracksuit mafia are a close second favourite -“but we kidnapped YOU Bro!”). Swordsman & Moondragon were part of ‘my’ avengers era when I was a kid & Jacques was my favourite avenger - partly because if a morally ambivalent un-powered and non-millionaire human who lived by his wits could make the team, maybe I could and we’ll, he got the sexy bald (possibly psychotic) kick-**** girlfriend too. What’s not to love?
    It’s a shame they seem to have erased the swordsman history with Hawkeye from MCU but maybe they’ll make up for it by having him become the new Ronin (my left field prediction for the series)
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    Having
    Echo
    and a few others in the show points to maybe
    Kingpin and Daredevil
    will show up.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    The first two episodes were okay. I’m interested to see how the series will progress.
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • So I liked the first episode a lot. The second and third were both a bit slower than I might have expected, but other Marvel shows (including both JJ and Daredevil) have had slower pacing for a time but still ended up being good series overall.

The characterization is fantastic, really. Ultimately it may be that I'm just expecting more spine-tingling excitement and that it's not that the show is too slow, just that it's slower than I thought it would be. And really Ep1 & 3 both had extended sequences of great action, it was only Ep 2 that didn't.

I will definitely stay to the end, and if it builds up to a good enough ending, I'm sure I'll rewatch it.

One thing I really did like from Ep3?
    I loved at the end where Clint tells Kate that she isn't wrong to call herself "one of" the world's greatest archers. He's been pretty down on her, but he comes around, gives her a few compliments, and then talks to her about superhero life in a way that makes it sound like he wants her to really know what she's getting into, but not that he really wants her to quit. At first he really was clear that the only right move for Kate was quitting and staying out of trouble. Now? He kinda thinks she should do it. He's impressed with her and would support her if she went into the superhero biz. It's a big change in 3 episodes, but it's not so big or so fast that you can't believe he would say that. As I said, the characterization has been fantastic.
  • Pretty good episode, definitely hinting at
    Kingpin
  • thomssi
    526 posts Member
    edited December 2021
    Not really, there is plenty to be more excited around in Dec like Boba and The Witcher.

There is quite a bit of other stuff on as well that I am getting behind on. Longer term the LOTR TV series and return of some other fantasy shows (historic/fantasy are mostly my favourite genres but obviously SW as well and sci-fi fantasy in general, superhero not so much but enjoyed a few recently-ish on Disney+ who have really been doing a pretty **** good job on that stuff).

Other fantasy stuff there have also been other good things recently like Foundation and the Dune movie and wheel of time which is a few episodes in.

Hawkeye would be good in less interesting times but really just filler for me if I can be bothered at all. Still, if you haven't seen those mentioned then look them up.
  • I tried to like The Witcher when it first came out. It didn't work for me. I'm eagerly anticipating BoB, but it's not here yet. Foundation I need to catch up on, but I don't have apple tv (saw first 2 episodes at someone else's place and they were good).

One upcoming you didn't mention was Dune:The Sisterhood (a series by the same director as the movie, focussing on the Bene Gesserit. The timeframe is not yet revealed, but I'm hoping it's set not long before Jennifer marries Leto (and that the intrigue behind the marriage will be part of the series). We don't know, of course, but a series focussed on the period where Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam is already of middling power and explaining her ascent to the peak of BG power while exploring Jennifer's training and trials would make a great addition to the Dune universe. Why did Jessica give birth to a son, precisely? I mean, I know it's because she loved Leto and wanted to give him an heir, but there has to be more to it. And although I know the very minimal information that originally came from Herbert about a potential daughter being wedded to a Harkonnen heir, as Jessica herself proves there were plenty of Harkonnen daughters. What would be wrong with going the other way? Why were the BG so insistent on this one path? Like I said, there's a lot there to explore that would be both very interesting and have the potential to affect how the movies are interpreted.

Even with all that, though, I was madly excited to see Kate Bishop come to the screen and she has not disappointed.

@LordDirt
    I completely agree with your spoiler. I, too, immediately thought the same thing just from that one image
    Of a couple of inches of the side of a business suit, with one white hand, with one finger twitching.

• I’m just waiting for the next KKB album, man
  • Pretty good episode last night, but it seemed kind of short. Figured
    Yelena Belova
    would show up at some point.
  • I hadn't caught that spoiler yet, but I did catch
    her use of the Widow's Sting bracelet/taser, so I immediately knew who was under the hood.

I'm enjoying the series. It has action, of course, but is less conflict driven than, say, The Falcon & The Winter Soldier. It's very much character driven, and very Kate Bishop focussed. I loved the line about
    Pizza dog being a title of honor,
    which I think is directly from the Matt Fraction run of the comics, though I haven't read them in a long time, so ...

Very much looking forward to more Echo. The only really disappointing thing about this series is that 6 episodes seems a bit too short. Hopefully there will be a season 2.
  • Another solid episode, cant wait for the last one and see where everyone stands in the end.
  • I'm about 15 minutes away from starting the new episode. Couldn't get to it earlier today, and your "solid episode" review only heightens my anticipation, LordDirt!
  • I'm about 15 minutes away from starting the new episode. Couldn't get to it earlier today, and your "solid episode" review only heightens my anticipation, LordDirt!

I'm sure you loved it too, and
    was I the only one that hated the cliffhanger. We knew something was wrong with Eleanor, and we knew bout Kingpin, but why end it there!?
  • Sebek wrote: »
    I'm about 15 minutes away from starting the new episode. Couldn't get to it earlier today, and your "solid episode" review only heightens my anticipation, LordDirt!

I'm sure you loved it too, and
    was I the only one that hated the cliffhanger. We knew something was wrong with Eleanor, and we knew bout Kingpin, but why end it there!?
    It ended on a big reveal, that Kingpin wasn't confirmed before that.
    Not confirmed, but obvious
  • I think it qualified as a reveal. Did you notice how they never showed the name of the car lot until this episode?

Did you notice what that name is?
  • Plenty of times it show the name
  • My bad, then.