Who's the most iconic Star Wars character?

Prev1
Bl4ckDe4th
169 posts Member
edited November 2021
Headline pretty much says it all. But I want to know, who you think is the most iconic Star Wars character to people, who aren't into Star Wars. Who do they immediately associate with Star Wars?
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Vader of course. Change my mind.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • For me, it’s Luke.
    For a person not into Star Wars, I’ll assume either Yoda or R2D2.

Luke is iconic in lore as the main protagonist, but people who don’t care about Star Wars don’t really mind Luke. They instead pay notice to the characters that visually stand out, which my assumption is either Yoda or R2.
  • R2-D2: been in most of the SW movies, had own animated series, also appeared in other movies (Star Trek , and Raider of Lost Ark). WIthout R2 telling the Whills about the Skywalker story we wouldn't be here playing this (holo-)game.
  • Vader, anyone else is factually wrong :)
  • Vader
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    I say Vader. Most people who know at least a single thing about Star Wars can (or should be able to recognize) Vader’s helmet or his breathing.
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • Vader or R2
  • Top three is easier, it’s definitely Yoda, Vader, and R2. You could make a strong argument for any of them being the most iconic.
  • Vader, it his story after all
  • Luke Skywalker.
    "You could warn me when I do something bad. Blink once for dark side, twice for light"
  • Vader
  • Yoda. While everyone knows Vader and Luke, Yoda is the most recognized and his speech pattern. Besides if vader was truly that iconic then why is his most famous quote always misquoted?
  • OP specified the question relates to non Star Wars fans - so the answer has to be Luke. For most people Star Wars is synonymous with Ep IV. Luke was the hero and centre of the story. His name trips off everyone’s lips as the first thing they associate with it. Sure Vader was an interesting character but he was just the big scary enforcer for the main baddy in the first film. Yoda was still something George Lucas was planning to be played by a chimp and the rest were supporting cast. I remember when Star Wars was released. It was all about Luke.
  • So here's a meta-question:

To be the "most" iconic, does that mean being "iconic to the most people" or does that mean "has more of the 'iconic' quality, even if no one notices that they have more of it"?

Because if it's the latter, then who is the most iconic could change from country to country (or group to group, like to feminists Leia might legitimately be "the most iconic" character in SW even if to other people, she's not). So if it's the former, we would have to specify the group - we might be most interested in the answer, "Who is the most iconic to SW fans?" or "Who is the most iconic to players of SWGOH?"

If it's the former, then I think Yoda, since Yoda is in more movies than Vader and would be more widely recognized around the world than Vader (I think), and maybe it's not Yoda, but at least it could be solved by a world-wide poll (if one were inclined to do so).

• Leia in the gold bikini
  • If you can be iconic without anyone noticing then I assert that I’ve been an icon for the last 55 years.

I think the question is about iconic for the majority of the non Star Wars world. Which means they probably didn’t see all the movies, have never watched Clone Wars etc etc.

• CWC
  • Stormtroppers
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Ric Olie

Obviously
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • E3P0
    109 posts Member
    To people who've seen literally no Star Wars content whatsoever, it has to be between Vader and Yoda. As those are the main two characters even random non-SW fans are vaguely aware of. Vader probably comes out on top, depending on what our exact definition of "iconic" is.
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    Wed_Santa wrote: »
    OP specified the question relates to non Star Wars fans - so the answer has to be Luke. For most people Star Wars is synonymous with Ep IV. Luke was the hero and centre of the story. His name trips off everyone’s lips as the first thing they associate with it. Sure Vader was an interesting character but he was just the big scary enforcer for the main baddy in the first film. Yoda was still something George Lucas was planning to be played by a chimp and the rest were supporting cast. I remember when Star Wars was released. It was all about Luke.

Everyone knows Vader more than Luke I mean one is famous for literally just breathing and then there’s Luke.
  • Bl4ckDe4th wrote: »
    Headline pretty much says it all. But I want to know, who you think is the most iconic Star Wars character to people, who aren't into Star Wars. Who do they immediately associate with Star Wars?

Baby Yoda.

Revived the dying franchise.
  • Mephisto_style
    5724 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    Vader is the only that corporations imitate in commercials. I think that is a fairly big indicator of the answer.
    https://youtu.be/eGZNocni6zE
  • I’ll say Vader. Prior to the prequels and sequels, it was Luke. After all, he was the chosen one.
  • SemiGod wrote: »
    Bl4ckDe4th wrote: »

Baby Yoda.

Revived the dying franchise.

I might be biased, but I have to agree, especially as it’s for people who aren’t into star wars.
    My discord - BabyYoda#4470 My swgoh.gg - https://swgoh.gg/p/648565123/
  • Vader
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Bl4ckDe4th wrote: »
    So up until this point it's

1. Vader - 11 votes
    2. Yoda - 5 votes
    3. R2-D2 - 4 votes
    4. Luke - 2 votes
    5. Baby Yoda - 2 votes

That's a pretty clear result and Vader is also the one I would've put on top. I'm not sure, if everyone, who hasn't seen Star Wars, but has seen a bunch of Baby Yoda stuff necessarily associates him with SW, which is essential to be iconic imo. Luke is just an actor and not visually striking (or acoustically for that matter) and you'd have to have watched at least something of the original trilogy to know, that he is the protagonist. I excluded people, who have seen a SW movie in my question.
    I didn't know R2 had a series XD
    But Vader has a trilogy (something, people, who aren't into SW wouldn't know, bc Ani doesn't look like Vader)
    I can see the votes for Yoda, but I think, Vader is more memorable. He's also more prominent in CW and in R1. People aren't going to remember those rambling about in the Jedi council ^^

Ric Olie
  • Obviously no one got it before
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Wed_Santa wrote: »
    Obviously no one got it before

You catch on pretty quick.