[MEGA] State of the Galaxy: November 2021

Replies

• CCyrilS wrote: »
    Solid_PR wrote: »
    at this point I would only expect a veteran pension of receiving at least 400 crystals every day for playing game regardless if I play squad arena or not... I feel I deserve better. I wont fall for deceitful tactics of making me earn "enough" in GAC when I can live peacefully in my squad arena shard. Eventually more subtle changes will come and I wont be able to compete for the same amount of rewards thus sink slowly and surely behind.

Behind what? Who are you comparing yourself to?

elaborate on your question, what do you mean?
  • Nauros wrote: »
    Ok, that's a whole lot to digest...
    There seem to be two goals going on, of course unstated in the official announcement. The first one is sustainability - squad arena basically enforces power creep, which can only go so far before the whole thing topples. I can fully get behind that, and it seems they plan to keep the game around for a while, for better or worse.
    The other goal is to keep the crystal income more stratified. Shard chats enabled a lot of people to get good rewards, and that's not the CG way. Now they have tighter control over how many crystals go among the players.
    The elephant in the room, of course, is 3v3. Now, the crystal income is partially tied to a mode the game wasn't designed for and we have no way to practice. Very bad move.
    Overall, I guess it depends on how much will the crystal income actually be nerfed and whether or not the new matchmaking works as intended. I don't have high hopes, but I don't condemn it right away either.

The “elephant in the room” is in-game currency(crystals). These changes will dramatically reduce the amount of crystals given out to the player base as a whole. They assume that will force the player base to spend more money to acquire crystals. This is about milking every last dollar out of what’s left of the player base, everything else is eye wash.
  • …oh and its less content right? They take away the (meaningful) squad games every day and replace them with an unchanged number of gac? How is this a daily tournament?
    Ok, that's a whole lot to digest...
    There seem to be two goals going on, of course unstated in the official announcement. The first one is sustainability - squad arena basically enforces power creep, which can only go so far before the whole thing topples. I can fully get behind that, and it seems they plan to keep the game around for a while, for better or worse.
    The other goal is to keep the crystal income more stratified. Shard chats enabled a lot of people to get good rewards, and that's not the CG way. Now they have tighter control over how many crystals go among the players.
    The elephant in the room, of course, is 3v3. Now, the crystal income is partially tied to a mode the game wasn't designed for and we have no way to practice. Very bad move.
    Overall, I guess it depends on how much will the crystal income actually be nerfed and whether or not the new matchmaking works as intended. I don't have high hopes, but I don't condemn it right away either.

The “elephant in the room” is in-game currency(crystals). These changes will dramatically reduce the amount of crystals given out to the player base as a whole. They assume that will force the player base to spend more money to acquire crystals. This is about milking every last dollar out of what’s left of the player base, everything else is eye wash.

Still waiting for you prove this claim with math: "These changes will dramatically reduce the amount of crystals given out to the player base as a whole.". Should be easy since you have already done the math.
  • Really bad idea. Taking away the games main source of crystals and adding them to a mode which takes much longer, isn’t as much fun and constantly makes use of 3v3 in a game where you are meant to pit 5v5.

Kyber 1 will be taken by whales and what happens during the 1 week period that GAC doesn’t run? Everybody just has crystal rewards massively knocked down? For the record via Squad arena I currently make more crystals than kyber 1 would in a week
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Daimoisgod wrote: »
    Really bad idea. Taking away the games main source of crystals and adding them to a mode which takes much longer, isn’t as much fun and constantly makes use of 3v3 in a game where you are meant to pit 5v5.

Kyber 1 will be taken by whales and what happens during the 1 week period that GAC doesn’t run? Everybody just has crystal rewards massively knocked down? For the record via Squad arena I currently make more crystals than kyber 1 would in a week

To be fair, fun is entirely subjective and the time sink will be only on attack days and spread out through the whole day.
  • Solid_PR wrote: »
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Solid_PR wrote: »
    at this point I would only expect a veteran pension of receiving at least 400 crystals every day for playing game regardless if I play squad arena or not... I feel I deserve better. I wont fall for deceitful tactics of making me earn "enough" in GAC when I can live peacefully in my squad arena shard. Eventually more subtle changes will come and I wont be able to compete for the same amount of rewards thus sink slowly and surely behind.

Behind what? Who are you comparing yourself to?

elaborate on your question, what do you mean?

You say you'll sink and fall behind... who are you going to fall behind? Who are you measuring yourself against?
    Really bad idea. Taking away the games main source of crystals and adding them to a mode which takes much longer, isn’t as much fun and constantly makes use of 3v3 in a game where you are meant to pit 5v5.

To be fair, fun is entirely subjective and the time sink will be only on attack days and spread out through the whole day.

“Fun is subjective” should be CG’s new slogan, that’s genius.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »

“Fun is subjective” should be CG’s new slogan, that’s genius.

Well, isn't it? I, for one, don't find GAC not as much fun as arena, mainly because I don't find arena fun in the first place.
  • So my gut was wrong. I’ll likely benefit from this change starting in the second season at the worst. If I can manage three wins, certainly not a given at 7.4 million gp in kyber 1, I will likely not get demoted and will see a modest increase in my crystal income.

I do agree a lot of players will see an increase in their crystal income especially those that did not engage in SA. However, a lot will see a decrease in crystal income especially if their gp is below 5.5ish million gp.

All that said, current player increase/decrease of crystal income is missing the point of how bad this change is. For any game to survive it needs to continually bring in new players who can replace players who leave. This is true for both ftp and insert aquatic species of your choice here. This hurts newer players of all varieties.

If a new player is ftp, their income is greatly reduced, progression is slowed, and therefore enjoyment and likely retention is less. If you’re willing to whale, the cost and/or time investment has just dramatically increased to catch up to the end game.

Regardless of whether you are ftp or a spender, liked one or both of SA/GAC or hated one or both. I would think you would want to see changes that encourage at least the player base remaining stable. This does not help newer players so this change can’t be viewed any other way than lessening the lifespan of the game. This is true whether or not the current players benefit as whole or not. This is true whether or not this causes a spike in player retirements.
  • Please remove 3v3 forever
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    SCCH wrote: »
    Please remove 3v3 forever

Or actually test and balance with 3v3 in mind and let us practice somewhere. But considering that they barely even test and balance for 5v5 and a sandbox mode seems to be a big no-no...
  • I've played since the middle of the first year, 2 accounts and this is probably the end for me.

Way to destroy everything we've built.
  • If I am understanding this correctly it seems like a boost for most just maybe not the elite, correct me if I am missing something but I have 5.6 mil GP and 1 GL close on a second I consistently finish Arena between 50 and 20 which earns me 150 crystals per day, with the new system I will start at Aurodium division 1 which according to their chart should average me 378 crystals per day over the 35 day cycle and possibly up to 490 as a max. Besides the time sink on GAC which I do anyway what is the downside? For those who sit at #1 in Arena as long as you are Kyber level the averages sit between mid 400’s to mid 500’s compared to the 500 earned for #1 and the high end max peaks up into 700+ per day. This seems like much more for people that are willing to grind in GAC and less for those that sign up auto fill, don’t try and finish 0-3 each round. It would also help if they made a minimum column to go with the max and average to let the sign up and don’t show participants know what they will be gifted on average.
  • Maybe it’s cultural (I’ve grown up with English and Scottish football) but I like jeopardy in competition- so I’m happy to see promotions and relegations based on performance. I also find the feats a bit random and occasionally infantile so like the uncoupling from ranking. I do ok in Squad - but I struggle to break into top 20 as I don’t have JMK & CAT. Overall I’m happy to see how this pans out. However it has made me reflect on why I play this game.

My conclusion is it’s because I like Star Wars, I like my guild mates and I like the daily tiny acts of mobile violence. As longs as I have them, I’m not too bothered about much else.
  • With squad arena now become much less of a focus for higher level players. Can we have it so you only have to do 1 battle or maybe none at all for the daily challenges?
  • This feels very wait-and-see for me. I’d say I was cautiously optimistic, if not for being cautiously optimistic about Conquest 7 and 10 and that blowing up in my face.

I’ll save more for the Q&A, because I have a few questions about this. But… wow.
  • Nothing will ever match the anger around the great Nerfing of 2021, this just seems like work for more or accept that your crystal participation trophy will be less cause you didn’t try.
  • My feedback is that I like the change. But please don’t rub conquest and gac at the same time. During conquest my playtime is already really restricted, previously you could skip some gac fights without any real consequence. This changes now, and I think a lot of players will have problems playing both and at the same time keeping the family happy :p
  • Oh, guys, come on
    Instead of playing 1h at fixed time doing same thing
    You can play once two days 1h (any time) doing something way more exciting
    Keeping more or less similar income
  • Oh, guys, come on

This guy gets it ;-)

Biggest QOL in this game from start
  • The end of shard mafias controlling Crystal incomes. Squad arena was not only a terrible game mode, it was an over controlled, and organised Crystal mine.

Now you won’t need 8m GP to reach a pretty decent Crystal income. This is a great change, and I for one am pumped.

A tiny % of this player base earns decent crystals in SA. As far as I know FA is staying the same. It’s such small group that makes SA incomes. Sure they will be upset, but that’s just tough. The vast majority of the game base will get more out of this than SA. It’s a positive change in my opinion. Very positive.
  • Oh, guys, come on

This.

Arena 5 battles/day = 35 / week.
    New gac depending on division roughly 10 x 3 battles / week = 30.

There really is no time sink.
    If arena rewards will be as bad as it seems there is no reason to do arena. So there will be less battles on average.

The ability to do the battles any time it suits me best is huge QOL. Thanks CG.
  • Wow this thread is blowing up, here are my thoughts as a just under 1 year long player with 2 accounts.

- Pro: The new GAC matchmaking and movements between Leagues / Divisions I like, that is if they can actually get MM right which they have proved time and time again they can't seem to do
    - Pro: Removing feats is good, though some of them I did enjoy (just not faction / character specific ones within GAC)
    - Pro: For the casual player or the long time player who struggles to crack top 100 in Squad Arena, this will be a good change and they will see their daily crystals increase
    - Con: For super active players who are competitive and really focused, this will be a HUGE loss for them. I am active every day since I started 1 year ago and get top 5 in Squad Arena. Based on my GP I will be taking a 200 to 300 daily crystal cut even if I am getting max rewards in the new GAC
    - Con: This means it will take me even longer to get to the next GL, and I will now be even less incentivized to spend money on this game
    - Con: Newer players have SOOO much catching up to do versus long time ones, and this will just it take even longer (they will never catch up anyway, but this will slow the progress). Less crystals for energy refreshes or gear
    - Pro: Daily scheduling might be a bit better now, don't have to wait for that 1 hour sweet spot to climb in arena and risk getting sniped to get rewards, you'll have a 24 hour period
    - Con: Anyone who rushed a GL from the start, especially SLKR and SEE, is getting screwed here as they will not have as developed as a GAC roster. And SEE seems kind of useless now if there is no Arena for him to push for top rewards
    - Con: Anyone who just bought Hyperdrive Bundle (discounted or not) over the last month got royally screwed, and should be given a full refund by CG if they ask.
    - Con: Anyone who was in or about to be in Division 7 with 3.1M and just developed the extra fleets, now will go back to only 2 fleets unless they can get 300k more gp or start to win. Since these changes were only implemented in the summer, seems like a bad move as people poured resources into developing these ships to be ready, myself included.

I think a solution would have been to lessen the Squad Arena rewards at the top and maybe smooth out the tiers a bit (Top 5 is a huge step above the rest), but not remove them completely. Again this really hurts all the super active players who chased the meta and now will take a big cut to their income...and most of these players have spent money at some point. Maybe giving a GAC daily crystal multiplier based on your Squad Arena ranking would have worked, to even out what you were making before.

• It looks like that with these changes if I put no defence and then make a full clear I will get a win. Even if I will not win several battles from the first attempt. Ratio is easy:
    1. I will get first attack, as my opponent will not face squads on my side of the field
    2. I will get points got defeating units on his side of the field and my opponent will not
  • Lamest change ever! I hate GAC with a passion! It's like CG is begging people to leave the game as they stoke the dumpster fire higher and higher.
  • Given that I have sat about 300ish in arena and got my 60 crystals a day I'm pretty sure this is a boost for me assuming I sit in aurodium somewhere at the start based on GP. I do prefer GAC to SA, I tended to do my 2 required per day matches and I'd often just pick someone and hit auto (given i wasn't using a GL and most of my shard were so playing matches was pointless).
    I'm sad they didn't make feats just a title award or something silly like that, I hope we can still earn those from Galactic Challenges in the future, maybe if you do the tier X with the faction of the day you get the title/ portrait?
  • With new skills or win/loss system we will face a situation when a 6mil account with lots of losses will eventually face a 2mil account, who tried to climb up.))
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Vitalii wrote: »
    It looks like that with these changes if I put no defence and then make a full clear I will get a win. Even if I will not win several battles from the first attempt. Ratio is easy:
    1. I will get first attack, as my opponent will not face squads on my side of the field
    2. I will get points got defeating units on his side of the field and my opponent will not

Wait, the "first attack" means that the first one to attack gets it? I interpreted it as each player getting the points for their first attack regardless of when it happens.