OOM-9 Vs. General Grievous

ROMG4
19 posts Member
edited November 2021
General Grievous was a terrible villain he had no motivation, no victories, and no notable interactions with anyone other than Kenobi. He existed only to die and even in the Clone Wars of 7 seasons he fails again and again

But what if I told you that there was a villain in the Prequel trilogy that had Grievous' job but did everything better?

OOM-9 was the head Droid Commander during the invasion of Naboo and head of Nute Gunray's personal guard. Across the length of The Trade Federation's illegal occupation of Naboo, OOM-9 deployed across the planet to suppress the royal guard's insurrections and protect Trade Federation interests. He was the one who disrupted the planetary communications, led the invasion to Theed, discovered the Gungan's underwater city and made them evacuate, beat the Gungans in a full-on fight securing the only victory the Separatists/Trade Federation got in the whole prequel trilogy and one of only 2 ground victories a Dark side faction would get in the series, the other belonging to General Veers in EP5. The SAME Gungans who with a tiny strike force were able to KO Grievous in melee and take him hostage Ewok style

And that is only what we see in the film, in the Legends continuity with Galactic Battlegrounds and James Luceno's Endgame (Author of Tarkin and Darth Plagueis) his exploits on Naboo are shown in more detail, he stopped the Droid control codes from falling into the Royal Guard's hands something which would have ended the invasion after another OOM unit failed, had Nute gunray defend his competency to Darth Maul and later earned Maul's respect as they worked together on the planet in a series of operations, and heavily devastated Otoh Gunga after the Gungans were only barely able to retreat in time

"Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?"
Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine."
Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones."
Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."

He is the only character in the Prequel trilogy that demonstrates an understanding of tactics beyond stand and shoot, he is the best general in the trilogy and most importantly OOM-9 represents a forgotten idea in the Prequels. The idea of giving the Battle Droids personalities of their own outside of comedy. Which has been mostly forgotten though OOM-9 hasn't been forgotten by Lucasfilm as he has been featured in several recent canon material books such as "Star Wars: On The Front Lines" where his exploits on Naboo were also described in some more detail

""You have performed beyond your parameters."
―Nute Gunray to OOM-9"

Meanwhile Grievous
"Count Dooku :General, the ongoing stalemate in the war has become unacceptable. There is concern you have lost your focus. Lord Sidious demands more dramatic results: more dead Jedi.

General Grievous : You expect victory over Jedi, but all you give me to fight them is battle droids."

OOM-9 gets respect, Grievous is scrap metal

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/OOM-9/Legends
https://youtu.be/O_muCUNeUQE

https://youtu.be/ZT0wSyC1ugQ

OOM-9b.jpg
OOM-9 For Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes!
c93b5dgqvhoi.png

Replies

• Interesting, I’ll have to read the books you mentioned. I would disagree that Grievous doesn’t have motivations, if you’re considering Legends anyways. In the book Labyrinth of Evil by James Luceno, there are some flashbacks that give insight into Grievous’ character, which tell how he was deceived, and how he came to be a cyborg, and fought for the Separatists in order to get revenge. And I don’t think you could really say he was completely without victories, after all, he did manage to kill a number of Jedi, and would have had to be decently powerful to do that. Your post was interesting; I never realized that that battle droid had a name, and never gave it much thought.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    This was honestly interesting, and it was nice to learn the history of OOM-9. Let’s hear it for Battle Droids!
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    ROMG4 wrote: »
    General Grievous was a terrible villain he had no motivation, no victories, and no notable interactions with anyone other than Kenobi. He existed only to die and even in the Clone Wars of 7 seasons he fails again and again

fvz85k0qwcbc.png

Learn of General Grievous:
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Grievous
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • JainaSolo wrote: »
    Interesting, I’ll have to read the books you mentioned.
    Xcien wrote: »
    This was honestly interesting, and it was nice to learn the history of OOM-9. Let’s hear it for Battle Droids!
    Thank you, I'm really glad you both liked it.
    Galactic Battlegrounds was a cool age of empires inspired game, while Luceno's End-Game was a short story packed together with a EP1 novelization re-release in 2012
    In the book Labyrinth of Evil by James Luceno, there are some flashbacks that give insight into Grievous’ character, which tell how he was deceived, and how he came to be a cyborg, and fought for the Separatists in order to get revenge. And I don’t think you could really say he was completely without victories, after all, he did manage to kill a number of Jedi, and would have had to be decently powerful to do that. Your post was interesting; I never realized that that battle droid had a name, and never gave it much thought.
    Oh yeah Legends Grievous had very interesting backstory that tied into the background themes of the trilogy and gave some nuance, and Labyrinth of evil was great like all of Luceno's novels

But in the canon the Clone Wars show established, all of that was removed. Grievous didn't make the deal with the trade federation he did in Legends to help his planet, nor was he betrayed, instead he accepted cybernetics because he couldn't become a Jedi and was always just evil and vain he never got the brain manipulation he did in Legends. He never killed a single Jedi knight in the show and the only people he killed were either zombies or padawans, and the droids and tanks did most of the work against the night-sisters
    LordDirt wrote: »
    ROMG4 wrote: »
    Learn of General Grievous:
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Grievous
    bbrp7xr38j3c.png
    The only reason Grievous even survived to Episode 3 in the CW, was because Dooku captured Anakin. And earlier/later in the show he would have died to a bomb planted on his ship if Obi-Wan didn't tell him

Grievous is
    c93b5dgqvhoi.png
  • ROMG4
    19 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    c93b5dgqvhoi.png