Developer Q&A - Grand Arena Championship Changes - 12/02

Replies

• Will offense banners have any sort of bearing on ladder ranking, or is it purely based on your skill rating?
  • Do I need to resubmit my questions from the announcement thread link here?
  • My personal wish is that 3v3 in GAC be removed. I really dislike the amount of squads and battles it requires. I only really play when its 5v5 (and I'm not alone.)
  • Will there still be an "off week" between GACs? That would be a week without crystal income now.

Do banners play into skill rating at all? Is there any benefit to a "high banner" win vs a lower banner defensive focused win? Or is it just wins/losses that matters and banners are irrelevant other than determining who wins a match?

The "off week" has been accounted for with the daily payout of crystals based on your position
  • Thank for taking time to do this meaningful event. This is very important to the community.

There are few questions other than the one I submitted earlier through google doc:

1. We discussed in the past that we really need a function that we will be able to leave GAC and rejoin it again if we accidentally join it without mods on our characters especially after Geo LSTB as most of players move mods around in order to get better performance. The answer in the past from CG was no, you won't be able to do that as there were some technical challenges. Has this issue been resolved and will we be able to have this function in new GAC season?

2. CG has constantly done important update in the middle of GAC season or even during the middle of GAC week during round 2. This greatly affected the planing and strategy for players. Can you please avoid doing this especially players are from different time zones and this might create some disadvantage sometimes? All we are asking is fair game.

3. With the current T&A, CG keeps telling us that you can't disclose the detail during investigation regarding to cheaters we reported, so to me this is more like protecting cheaters as no one will know what happened to them even there are some firm evidence showing that they are cheaters. I don't support witch hunting, but we all are aware there are some amount of cheaters are disturbing the galaxy. So in the effort of making community to believe you are working hard to solve this cheater issue, what kind of stuff you can talk about in order to justify in front of customers and let us believe this new GAC system will work? And if we lose that round in GAC because of cheaters, what compensation can we get?

Thank you.
  • Is GAC/arena change the Phase 2 of the Gear changes?
  • The_Dude_Abides
    6 posts Member
    edited December 2021
    -deleted-
    was addressed in the Q&A, what I stated in this post was incorrect
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    have you guys considered or are in talks on releasing an exclusive character through GAC, whose shards are given out at the end of season based on league ranking?
  • Oli_Ikey wrote: »
    Why can't you ask the player base what they want instead of making drastic changes? The vast majority don't want these changes. You're trying to encourage more spending is how it looks which isn't ok. We don't want this

Because the "vast majority" want the game to be incredibly boring. Everything given for free, any and all semblances of skill or paying to get ahead removed, probably want relics and mods removed too.

This game is a business at the end of the day. The pay to gain advantages and extra resources model is a good and fair one. An individual is not to blame if they chose to buy something and you choose not to. Spenders are not the evil that Reddit make them out to be.

Additionally the resource management aspect of the game is a skill in itself. Recognising what is good/meta is a skill too. Constantly avoiding the meta or constantly chasing counters instead of a GL is detrimental in the long run. Such is the nature of any competitive game.

If your "vast majority" were the ones calling the shots, this game would plummet in a day. Spenders would have no reason whatsoever to spend and the devs and EA/Disney would call it a day. Probably wouldn't even be worth it to keep the servers running.
  • i think the biggest question is will there be an answer to cheaters.
  • Are division/league promotions zero sum? eg for everyone who drops down a division/league does someone go up?

Is the goal to get the divisions flat? into a bell curve? They are very unbalanced now.
  • Will there still be an "off week" between GACs? That would be a week without crystal income now.

Do banners play into skill rating at all? Is there any benefit to a "high banner" win vs a lower banner defensive focused win? Or is it just wins/losses that matters and banners are irrelevant other than determining who wins a match?

The "off week" has been accounted for with the daily payout of crystals based on your position

Has it though? The estimated "average crystals per week" calculated in the announcement post averages the crystals for daily crystals, round wins, end of week payout, and end of season payout. In an off week, you're not getting those other sources averaged over that time period.100 crystals per day at the top of Bronzium (where I'm stuck for now due to my account age) is a small pittance next to 450/day if there's not also round win/week payouts as well.

You earn less during the off week yes, but you earn more during attack phases and with your round and season payouts. That's why they listed the average per day using the 35 day cycle with 50/50 win/loss
  • Will 5v5 and 3v3 have separate skill ratings, or will it remain season to season?
  • Hello, I repeat my question from another topic. If you saw it earlier, I am sorry:
    when i play in squad arena my rewards depend on my activity and how efficient i am. now defence in gac is very important.
    It is not possible to understand which abilities will be used in defense, since the auto when playing in attack uses a completely different priority of abilities. in this connection, a number of questions arise:
    1.Are you going to add some area to test the squads and their priority of using abilities in defence for better understanding how to set up characters turns and select modules?
    2.Is it posible to add for players the ability to customize the priority of using abilities for characters in defense?
    Thanks
  • will we still have 5 battle and refresh at 50, 100,... for squad arena?
  • jedilord
    337 posts Member
    edited December 2021
    Q: What happens if I don't join / Can I just not join and get the daily reward forever?
    • A: If you don't join a GAC Event, your skill rating will drop as if you took 2 losses against an equal opponent. Effectively, this gives 1 round of "loss forgiveness" (eg 2 instead of 3), but ensures that Players who don't participate are moving down in rankings. This penalty is adjustable, so we'll be watching for irregularity and adjusting. But TLDR -- if you regularly miss Events, you will be demoted.
      (Aside: this is also why higher Leagues & Divisions also put increased emphasis on "Win" prizes)
      -Jay

so why is there a join phase? why can´t we join on auto?
    the 3 or 4 times i´ve missed it was because your buttons were hiding, or i´ve overseen it for another reason, but never on purpose^^
  • In the max/avg crystals you guys posted :

Is avg the average daily crystals for a max player to account for the off weeks?

Or is that the average crystals of the average player? Saying thats what the max for a perfect record for the division is is kinda misleading, when a good matching making system would have everyone with a 50/50 record.
  • What are the factors in skill rating? W/L record? W/L margin? different in total GP or top X GP? other?

No. Crumb collected the questions from the other thread.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    jedilord wrote: »
    Q: What happens if I don't join / Can I just not join and get the daily reward forever?
    • A: If you don't join a GAC Event, your skill rating will drop as if you took 2 losses against an equal opponent. Effectively, this gives 1 round of "loss forgiveness" (eg 2 instead of 3), but ensures that Players who don't participate are moving down in rankings. This penalty is adjustable, so we'll be watching for irregularity and adjusting. But TLDR -- if you regularly miss Events, you will be demoted.
      (Aside: this is also why higher Leagues & Divisions also put increased emphasis on "Win" prizes)
      -Jay

so why is there a join phase? why can´t we join on auto?
    the 3 or 4 times i´ve missed it was because your buttons were hiding, or i´ve overseen it for another reason, but never on purpose^^
    There are more ways to know its Join phase

If you click on Arena table, it should tell you
    If you scroll past the GAC table, there should be a red dot notification
  • Maverick1213
    26 posts Member
    edited December 2021
    When do mods/upgrades lock? Edit: assuming it's when you hit "join", as before?

No. Crumb collected the questions from the other thread.
    So questions asked only in this thread will not be included?
  • Frankto
    19 posts Member
    edited December 2021
    TOPIC: Gameplay Questions

Q: When you say that initial skill ratings are based on GP, does that mean that your actual GP number itself is your skill rating? Or is just anyone in your division (which is sorted by GP) a potential opponent? In Kyber 1 at launch, could it theoretically be possible for a 7.3M GP account to match against a 10M GP account?
    • A: For initialization, there is a table that looks up a Player's GP and converts it to a Skill Rating. This is much more fine-grained than just the Kyber-1 cutoff to address situations like you cite. The first few matches using this system will be the least tuned to your actual skill and roster, but the matchmaking system will quickly improve after a couple of rounds. While this first season under the new system will have some odd match ups, we expect that this kind of mismatch to be resolved very quickly and should be very accurate after 1-2 seasons. -Jay

What about future seasons? 5 seasons down the line, should a 4M account in Kyber 5 expect to be matched against a 6M account who is also in Kyber 5, if the smaller account has a good winrate and the larger account doesn't?
  • There's not enough time in a 5 minute battle for Talon to get 20 stacks of Loyal Hand, and her damage is extremely low, even if she had those stacks. Between Omega and now Talon, it seems like CG doesn't know how to balance "single target damage" characters.
  • People using a modified game was a problem when the GAC rewards were small. Will cheating be addressed in a much more prompt manner? Will it be easier to report a cheater than it is now where we have to contact someone on the forums?
  • With GAC taking more of the spotlight as the premiere competitive mode, tools to help the community detect cheating are more important now than ever before. Are match replays a viable feature for the game?
  • I saw your general statement on cheating in the opening posts - thank you for that.

What I'd like to ask now is: If a player is flagged as potentially cheating, investigated, and ruled to have cheated (and thus punished), will that player be given the chance to prove that they were not cheating? Or do you expect that after your investigation that you will be able to say with 100% confidence if someone cheated or not?

The last thing anyone wants is using an off-the-beaten-path counter or something an opponent hasn't encountered before, resulting in a disgruntled opponent who hits the report cheating button out of spite.

Additionally, will there be a consequence for hitting the report cheating button out of spite?