Server Maintenance?

Replies

• Wow same I just got off chat with EA said multiple reports of same issue and of course were of no help. I was just about to go into my toughest battle with the best team i had for it and crash....I didnt even enter the battle. It restarted and I came back with no team and a loss on the board :s
  • I 4-manned against Ewoks with my DR to be on the safe side, very easy win only to get the same message. Now my opponent, who has a GL on offense will likely one shot my defenses apart from fleets, but I was somehow unable to clear his random thrawn fleet with Rebels. So this "dropped" battle has cost me a likely win as he's not getting past my Executor, and I'll probably get demoted as a result, and was likely to be on 2/3 wins, so it's costing me even more crystals! Thanks CG...
  • RoBane1738
    267 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Cost me another round. FIX YOUR BILLION DOLLAR GAME GC !!!
  • Here to 3 Lose always Server.....
  • This sucks, was trying to do my battle for the last time on this shard level and it didn’t count because of server maintenance???? This sux

4pp43056t3y8.png
  • I can confirm, I just did two battles in GAC, went for my 3rd one with my Imperial troopers and got the " server is under maintenance try again later" message. Reloaded back in with no problems or alerts about server my, went and checked GAC and I now have lost my troopers and have a 1 attempt on that team now.
  • I just had the same issue with my final ship battle. Went in with my best fleet and before the battle even started I got the “server maintenance” message. Upon restart, automatic lose.

This game is in dire need of a “start where you left off” or better yet, this sort of thing to NEVER happen.

Maybe I’m old fashioned but I prefer to lose over lack of skill or to be bettered by someone, not an rng simulator to say “are you going to win or lose today?! Nope you lost. Did you battle? No. But doesn’t matter! You lose! How fun”

Cmon CG you need to address this. At least compensate the people you’re affecting because this is ridiculous. EA support was a runaround to no where again when I tried that avenue.
  • Lost 65 banner victory. Probably won’t matter as my opponent has to clear 4 gls while only having 3. That said there is now a potential for a loss if he can manage to take down a gl without using a gl.
  • MrBockbagok
    4 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Went to start my battle and got the error message. Game restarts and I’ve lost my team, lost the battle, and have lost match forfeiting #1 spot this week. I want my crystals.
  • This was the gamble they took when they moved crystal income to GAC. Instead of a server issue potentially costing someone one payout (realistically 200 crystals at most if someone can't climb from 5 to 1 in time due to an error), you now have people losing 700 crystals for the win, 250 for the Event, and potentially another 140 if they are demoted to a lower Division as well.

You'd think they would have made sure that things were rock solid before throwing the switch, but here we are.
    Add in the obvious cheaters/hackers and frankly it's a bit of a hot mess right now. Hopefully there is a make-good for the outages, plus some serious server and anti-cheating upgrades in the future.
  • Perdogie
    130 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Still ongoing issue. Lost my Negotiator during my final battle against my GAC opponent.

j4rer2oeh4yw.jpeg
  • It may be worse than you think. I had this happen to me, and not only did I lose the squad but the opposing team was preloaded when I went back in. I had a clear speed advantage and never took a turn while they ripped right through me.
  • Anyone noticing it happening at a certain time? I’ve had it happen multiple times today…the first occasion was around 3pm. Last time was at 7pm (Eastern Time). Possibly it’s happening on the hour
  • Hose the reset the gac for Today ,
    I got this kick out seit 5 Times in 3h 🤮
  • Happened to me too. Lost my jkr vs GG. Lucky I had a couple of extra teams but my score sucks. First I had to beat a cheater (put two slkr teams on defense) now this. Before they put all of their crystals into a new game mode they should make sure it works. I still don’t understand why if the server times out the match isn’t reset.
  • Skinless
    19 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    BeralCator wrote: »
    This was the gamble they took when they moved crystal income to GAC. Instead of a server issue potentially costing someone one payout (realistically 200 crystals at most if someone can't climb from 5 to 1 in time due to an error), you now have people losing 700 crystals for the win, 250 for the Event, and potentially another 140 if they are demoted to a lower Division as well.

To your point exactly on this, I’ve seen people talking about wanting compensation (which is a potential large spectrum of amounts) and the biggest thing that also comes to mind is, if everyone who was affected received it, then say you still won even with the crashes, do you then get double the rewards? That feels wrong getting double since even with crashing it wouldn’t be affected. But take the other side of it where they only give rewards to those who lost and were affected, is this 100% able to verify and trace so nobody is missed?

Unless they reset this match, there’s no right to way to fairly compensate anyone affected. And even if they reset, congrats, we all just saw our opponents defense first hand, there goes a fair match of unknowns.

*edit for minor spelling error
  • Unacceptable. Right after I won this battle and now it’s registered as a loss. Fix this @CG_Doja_Fett_MINI ngmor929h3fl.png
  • Skinless wrote: »
    This was the gamble they took when they moved crystal income to GAC. Instead of a server issue potentially costing someone one payout (realistically 200 crystals at most if someone can't climb from 5 to 1 in time due to an error), you now have people losing 700 crystals for the win, 250 for the Event, and potentially another 140 if they are demoted to a lower Division as well.

To your point exactly on this, I’ve seen people talking about wanting compensation (which is a potential large spectrum of amounts) and the biggest thing that also comes to mind is, if everyone who was affected received it, then say you still won even with the crashes, do you then get double the rewards? That feels wrong getting double since even with crashing it wouldn’t be affected. But take the other side of it where they only give rewards to those who lost and were affected, is this 100% able to verify and trace so nobody is missed?

Unless they reset this match, there’s no right to way to fairly compensate anyone affected. And even if they reset, congrats, we all just saw our opponents defense first hand, there goes a fair match of unknowns.

*edit for minor spelling error

All good points.

In a perfect world, I would say that everyone who experienced a lost match due to "server maintenance" and lost their matchup should receive up to 950 crystals (anyone demoted as a result of the loss would receive another 140). Even though some of these people may have lost the round anyway, we cannot *know* this for certain; we can't just look at score as that one team lost may have been the only counter for a certain team.

However, I am skeptical they can write a script that can be this precise.

The best I think would be possible would be to look for people who lost the round that had battles of 0:00; this can indicate either a server-side disconnection or someone deliberately force-quitting in airplane mode. It would inadvertently gift crystals to a few people who didn't experience the error, but whatever; I'd rather have too broad a make-good than too narrow.

TBH, even just sending crystals to everyone that are equal to a round win and one event upgrade (950 for Kyber 1, 875 for Kyber 2, etc.) would be fine with me. To me it is less about perfectly compensating the issue as it is about punitive damages to CG (and shareholders) for failing their customers. Having to give everyone what is ostensibly a $5-10 gift certificate may motivate them to devote more resources to ensuring a positive and fun game experience (which this most certainly has not been).

I'd really like them to see it as a choice between reinvesting in their game by buying more servers/hiring more staff rather than giving out constant make-goods.

• Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Will try and get an update tomorrow morning
  • It is worth mentioning that there are other areas of the game impacted beyond GAC; at a minimum fleet arena and GL tickets are also affected.

We also have no idea how long this issue will last, so some people waiting to do GAC attacks may run the risk of being unable to do so if a fix comes late tomorrow.

Broad compensation is really best here as the inconvenience is broad in scope.
  • RoBane1738
    267 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    It is worth mentioning that there are other areas of the game impacted beyond GAC; at a minimum fleet arena and GL tickets are also affected.

We also have no idea how long this issue will last, so some people waiting to do GAC attacks may run the risk of being unable to do so if a fix comes late tomorrow.

Broad compensation is really best here as the inconvenience is broad in scope.

All very true. First time it happened to me (server maintenance restart) was while in the shop…so didn’t hurt much. 2nd time was just random non-essential time. 3rd and 4th time where just after loading squads into a GAC battle (those hurt cause was loss of battle and inserted squads).5th time was after loading a fleet into ship arena. And I could not afford to wait to run GAC, I play on 7 accounts that are in GAC, and work tomorrow. Was no way for me to wait, had to get them done or never would have been able to.

I’m not sure if the 2 server maintenance crashes during GAC cost me the round or not as I was still able to clean it up, but both where in championship rounds where winning is kinda important to me, lol. I don’t think anything will be done until east coast morning time when they get back to their 1 computer, but fwiw I have not had another crash since around 8pm EST
  • Shaddess wrote: »
    They won’t do anything for you.

That's not true. They occasionally put Crystal's in your inbox saying ,"Sorry for the inconvenience. " There is a high likelihood they will for this.
  • Warrior_TI wrote: »
    Don't play GAC right now.... UNANNOUNCED server maintenance. No in game notice or forum post @ea_capitalgames ... shame on you. Everyone playing GAC just lost a battle without ever playing AND we lose the team... we can't afford that in a crystal dependant mode.

What I don't understand is why it only effected 1 of my battles.
  • Warrior_TI wrote: »
    Don't play GAC right now.... UNANNOUNCED server maintenance. No in game notice or forum post @ea_capitalgames ... shame on you. Everyone playing GAC just lost a battle without ever playing AND we lose the team... we can't afford that in a crystal dependant mode.

What I don't understand is why it only effected 1 of my battles.

The servers can handle losing contact with the client, we know this because we have used airplane mode forever for TW and Pit in its old form. What is likely happening is they have a faulty server in the farm which is cycling through restarts. So you start a battle and the server resets (can happen right when you hit battle) for whatever reason and then when the client tries to contact it again, it’s not up so the process fails and the have no recovery mechanism for this.

So it may only happen in 1 out of 5 battles.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • are people still experiencing this error? Or has it been resolved
  • Conquest starts in 13 hours. The game breaks. Coincidence? Time to call in Inspector Gadget.

It would be nice to at least get a dev statement. It’s the Sunday after a major international holiday but an empty one liner is better than 7 hours of silence.

• Looooki
    1045 posts Member
    Conquest starts in 13 hours. The game breaks. Coincidence? Time to call in Inspector Gadget.

It would be nice to at least get a dev statement. It’s the Sunday after a major international holiday but an empty one liner is better than 7 hours of silence.

Not gonna happen, sorry abt it. That is their way of communicating
  • The issue is down to lazy coding. When you enter a match, the information stored about that match is kept client side. Once you get a victory or defeat message, this is sent back to the server side of the game to update it. If you get the error message before then, it counts as a loss because you started the match but never finished it.
  • Wookieebush
    92 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    The issue is down to lazy coding.

I don’t know why people keep saying things like this as if it’s an insult to the devs. This game isn’t a point of pride for them. They don’t develop this game because they want to create an enjoyable, memorable experience. They are told to do as little as possible to make the most money. This game is designed to make people pay with as little effort and expense from the company. It’s like telling a phone scammer he is scum. He doesn’t care what you think, he is paid to take everything he can from people fool enough to give it to him.