GaC time advantage....

Replies

• emoore123 wrote: »
    TargetEadu wrote: »
    emoore123 wrote: »
    Ya know, it's unfair that the home team in a baseball game bats second. It gives them an unfair advantage of knowing how many runs they need to score to take the lead 😉

Baseball isn’t made of teams that only play as the home team and teams that only play as the away team. They switch it up, to avoid giving one team the advantage for their entire career.

SWGOH players can’t change time zones every month to switch the advantage around. I suppose CG could make every other GAC start 12 hours later, but I have a feeling that won’t go over well.

And besides other real world responsibilities, there's nothing causing players to always battle first or second. You can choose when to do your battles every GAC, and you have 24 hours to attack. Not every opponent is going to attack right away or wait until the final seconds. You can even split up your attacks into multiple times to try and throw off your opponent. It's all in how you choose to play. You can take the lead early like the away team, or know what to score like the home team. It's your choice 😉

“Other real world responsibilities” for most people takes up at least 12 of those 24 hours. Probably more like 16. If GAC rollover’s in the middle of the night or during work or school, then either you miss the last few hours when more schedule-fortunate people attack… or stay up several hours / spend a break period / risk attacking on the clock to try and get a slight advantage in a mobile game.

If GAC’s not at a problematic time, then you can just wait until the last few hours.

That’s the major issue in my opinion. Not the scale of the advantage of going second, but the fact it nearly invariably goes to the same group of players.
  • 3 things

1) in baseball the team that scores 1st wins 64-66% of the time does that give the advantage to be the road team and to have the opportunity to score first?

2) if this is a problem in GAC has this also always been an unreported problem in TW for years? Can we get a new thread on that issue!

3) I have enjoyed reading all the thoughts on this thread
  • TargetEadu wrote: »
    Starslayer wrote: »
    LukeDukem8 wrote: »
    I prefer knowing what someone else places on defense than knowing how many banners they scored. I couldn’t care less what they score if I know exactly what teams they’ve used on defense. That knowledge is very powerful. Thankfully swgoh.gg provides that info freely 🙂

You play it your way, but if you play it a way that it would give an “advantage” to someone else that’s your problem.
    For example, if I see you score a perfect score on a cls team, it's obvious you beat it with a solo SEE.
    How would you get this information ? I missed something because i can’t see that.

I think the idea is that SEE is probably the only character who can get a perfect score (1 character, full health, full prot) against a CLS team. But I feel like determining that’s a rare occurence.

Very rare, I completely agree, but it illustrates the point about the going second and the information it can provide.
  • I’m probaly the only guy who likes to go first. If u put a good score, they might try to undersize a team when they shouldn’t and fail. But there is undeniably a huge advantage to go second, they 2 shot 1 team? Now just 1 shot the board and u win.
  • LukeDukem8 wrote: »
    I prefer knowing what someone else places on defense than knowing how many banners they scored. I couldn’t care less what they score if I know exactly what teams they’ve used on defense. That knowledge is very powerful. Thankfully swgoh.gg provides that info freely 🙂

You play it your way, but if you play it a way that it would give an “advantage” to someone else that’s your problem.
    For example, if I see you score a perfect score on a cls team, it's obvious you beat it with a solo SEE.
    How would you get this information ? I missed something because i can’t see that.

I think the idea is that SEE is probably the only character who can get a perfect score (1 character, full health, full prot) against a CLS team. But I feel like determining that’s a rare occurence.

Very rare, I completely agree, but it illustrates the point about the going second and the information it can provide.

I wasn’t clear. How do you see that the opponent did a perfect score against your cls team ?
  • emoore123 wrote: »
    You can even split up your attacks into multiple times to try and throw off your opponent. It's all in how you choose to play. You can take the lead early like the away team, or know what to score like the home team. It's your choice 😉

Yep this. Happened a couple times to me last round, opponent would clear one zone and wait, so I would do the same to match them on banners and wait for them to attack again. Was quite funny tbh.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    edited January 2022

I wasn’t clear. How do you see that the opponent did a perfect score against your cls team ?

You get a push notification from the discord bot with the banner count when he cleared one of your teams.

It looks like this:
    17bjx9of8ia3.jpg
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Legend91 wrote: »

You get a push notification from the discord bot with the banner count when he cleared one of your teams.

It looks like this:
    17bjx9of8ia3.jpg

it won't work now i think?
  • bap1234 wrote: »
    Legend91 wrote: »

It looks like this:
    17bjx9of8ia3.jpg

That's a screenshot of the bot after the GAC changes. It still works.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Legend91 wrote: »
    bap1234 wrote: »
    Legend91 wrote: »

It looks like this:
    17bjx9of8ia3.jpg

That's a screenshot of the bot after the GAC changes. It still works.

Man, i had no idea this kind of stuff was available… thx !
    My fault for wanting hard evidence of the existence of an advantage, I guess.

I suppose I should take everyone that posts something online for their word…

since GAC is more like chess and not sports...read this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-move_advantage_in_chess

GAC isn't like chess, though. Your bishop can't lose because the pawn it was going to take got some crits and your bishop had an unlucky string of dodges.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • 3 things

1) in baseball the team that scores 1st wins 64-66% of the time does that give the advantage to be the road team and to have the opportunity to score first?

This isn't a good example because you can't win if you're shut out. That team didn't win because they scored first, they won because the other team didn't score at all.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    I’m probaly the only guy who likes to go first. If u put a good score, they might try to undersize a team when they shouldn’t and fail. But there is undeniably a huge advantage to go second, they 2 shot 1 team? Now just 1 shot the board and u win.

If you read the first seven pages (lol) you'll see that no, you aren't the only guy.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    I’m probaly the only guy who likes to go first. If u put a good score, they might try to undersize a team when they shouldn’t and fail. But there is undeniably a huge advantage to go second, they 2 shot 1 team? Now just 1 shot the board and u win.

If you read the first seven pages (lol) you'll see that no, you aren't the only guy.

majority of them are lying ;) majority of swgoh players like to wait and go second.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

majority of them are lying ;) majority of swgoh players like to wait and go second.

Ah you have data on that I'm sure.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited January 2022

It is impossible for the majority to go second. :D
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • I like and often go second. It provides an advantage in the sense that i know what i have to do.
    It is NOT a huge advantage, but it is there.

Last match, my opponent could not kill one of my rear squads. So i knew i "only" needed to clear...so i played ignoring SCORE, choosing squads that could CLEAR (even with losses of protection).
    IF i had to go blind, i might have gone for score and perhaps "waste" some toons on overkills and then be unable to clear.

THIS^^ happens several times.

HOWEVER...i actually like it. It is part of the game. I particularly like when BOTH players are doing it. I play first just to get a kill. Then i wait...enemy takes only two kills...and so on...had LOTS OF FUN on some such matches.
  • NicWester wrote: »

GAC isn't like chess, though. Your bishop can't lose because the pawn it was going to take got some crits and your bishop had an unlucky string of dodges.

it's "more" like chess than baseball/football (i.e. sports.)
    NicWester wrote: »

There are never any winners in swgoh forum analogies. They all suck.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member

the person who makes the second analogy has the advantage
  • Ghost666 wrote: »
    I like and often go second. It provides an advantage in the sense that i know what i have to do.
    It is NOT a huge advantage, but it is there.

Last match, my opponent could not kill one of my rear squads. So i knew i "only" needed to clear...so i played ignoring SCORE, choosing squads that could CLEAR (even with losses of protection).
    IF i had to go blind, i might have gone for score and perhaps "waste" some toons on overkills and then be unable to clear.

THIS^^ happens several times.

HOWEVER...i actually like it. It is part of the game. I particularly like when BOTH players are doing it. I play first just to get a kill. Then i wait...enemy takes only two kills...and so on...had LOTS OF FUN on some such matches.

in your example, when you don't know how your opponent scored (going blind) and would have "wasted" some toons on ovefkills and then be unable to clear, which means you could potentially lose. How is that "NOT a huge advantage" to know? It could potentially change the outcome of the match.

I think we all can agree on wanting live action, but it will more than likely never happen.

But if you make the first analogy, you can make a really good one* and put loads of pressure on the other guy who now has to come up with an even better analogy.
    * Just kidding. Nobody ever makes a really good one

but not a significant advantage.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member

How can you not understand the significant advantage? If you do your analogy first, I know exactly how bad mine has to be to beat yours.

It is amazing to me that people still don't understand this. Maybe eight more pages will convince you firsters.

How can you not understand the significant advantage? If you do your analogy first, I know exactly how bad mine has to be to beat yours.

It is amazing to me that people still don't understand this. Maybe eight more pages will convince you firsters.

It’s all about who bought the best analogy anyway.
    How is that "NOT a huge advantage" to know? It could potentially change the outcome of the match.

I think we all can agree on wanting live action, but it will more than likely never happen.
    Dont think it is HUGE as it rarely changes the outcome...i always try to go second, as i ADMIT that improves my chances...but not so decisive, i think.

Most times the effect is NIL. The enemy does a full clear, or is stronger and i cant match him anyway or does a bad result that i would always do better even if playing first...

MY POINT is that it does not change many battles and i have fun with the planning it implies...and it also provides a better "feel" of playing versus a human. If you see score only in the end there is less "iteraction". Sometimes i even chat with opponents midmatch...to comment on results.

BUT if you want a completly FAIR system it would need to change. In the many "unfair" parts of GAC, this is the one that annoys me less...i am far more annoyed by completly unwinable matches, for instance...
  • The advantage of who attack first in GAC seems to be major but actually it may or may not be an advantage.

If you attack first and clean the map one shot with high score. The opponent need to take more risk to beat you. It’s a clear pressure to him. If you don’t clear the map then waiting to attack second is the best. So you can make your strategy based on what territory he cleared.

If for your time playing you are always going first, then your strategy is to always clear the map with a high offensive strategy. Doing otherwise let the opponent to take advantage of what you did and overkill attack just to exceed your banner score.
  • I wish someone would come up with an original defense of why going second is or isn't an advantage. We have so many pages of the same explanations.

Where's the conspiracy folks saying going second gives you a hidden 2% stat increase? Or the delusional folks saying going first can't be detected by the CIA?
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    I wish someone would come up with an original defense of why going second is or isn't an advantage. We have so many pages of the same explanations.

Oh but new people might not have heard the same explanations yet!
  • NicWester wrote: »
    I wish someone would come up with an original defense of why going second is or isn't an advantage. We have so many pages of the same explanations.

Where's the conspiracy folks saying going second gives you a hidden 2% stat increase? Or the delusional folks saying going first can't be detected by the CIA?
    Going second makes my bum itch which is clearly a disadvantage because it's very distracting. :p