Performance on Android/Emulators is still atrocious since Nov 17th patch

Prev1
It's been almost 2 months now since the 17th of November patch, and the performance of SWGOH on Android and emulators is still atrocious, and it's barely playable.

When are you planning to fix the issue? Or at least address it's existence in any way? Is CG even aware that thousands of players have freezing/crashing/low fps issues since that patch, or do they not care? To me, it is absolutely ridiculous that a billion dollar company doesn't even address or confirm the existence of this major issue in any way.

Clarification for the mods: This is a repost, because my previous post was locked and archived, and i was instructed to bring this to EA support. But i already did that, twice. Once a month and a half ago, and second time a few days ago, and there have been no responses. They are also not responding to other people's posts on the EA support site about the same issue, why is this being ignored?

Replies

• Emulators aren’t supported, so the devs are not required to fix that.

Is there an Android issue? I’ve got several android users in my guild and none of them report anything.
  • JoryG87
    258 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    I am playing with an Android phone. Have no problems.
  • My problems disappeared after upgrading to Bluestacks X
  • I can confirm both that Andriod play is fine (playing on a Pixel 3), as well as Bluestacks performance has been awful (I used to stream my KAM missions via bluestacks and discord on my PC, but I've not done so in the past three months since it the update that's been causing extreme slowdown to the point of unplayability.
  • I'm on android and have noticed once you've done a few things in game (sim, shipment purchases) there's like a 25% chance that during the next battle the game will just just grind to a halt. I've had it crash during GAC and conquest 5 times in the past week.
    One thing I've learned to help avoid it is do all my Sims, then restart the app, then do the important battles.
    @Khalysa just out of curiosity are you logging in with Google Play? I am and it seems to drop connection fairly often lately, maybe related?
  • One issue that has been reported with some android phones (including both of mine) is that if you play the game, turn off the screen for a long while and go back to the phone, the game is locked up X amount of time. The music will still play though so the game isn't frozen.

After a min plus of waiting, it will either unfreeze or you will have to restart the game.
  • The game isn’t developed to be able to run on an emulator. The fact that it does is not because of CG, but because of the emulator developers. Thus, any issues with the emulator and what can run on it is in no way, shape or form CG’s responsibility.

The game not running on Android sounds like a stretch, but you should probably provide more technical details about what kind of Android you are trying to run it on.
  • Maybe the native client which was announced by Google last year (https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/9/22827037/google-android-games-windows-pc-google-play-games) will solve all those problems? At least I hope so.

Is there an Android issue? I’ve got several android users in my guild and none of them report anything.

what a brown noser
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    Emulators aren’t supported, so the devs are not required to fix that.

what a brown noser

Because he pointed out that the devs don't support emulators?

what a brown noser
    So sorry for stating a fact.

CG sUx! MaN i HaTe tHe DeVs!!!!

Is that better?
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Emulators aren’t supported, so the devs are not required to fix that.

what a brown noser
    So sorry for stating a fact.

You know facts have no place here.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • zatho
    747 posts Member
    I wonder why. Can you spend no money on emulators and people who don't play on a mobile phone are no valuable customers? I mean there are so many kinds of phones, that they need to optimize the game for and so few emulators..
  • Magruffin wrote: »
    One thing I've learned to help avoid it is do all my Sims, then restart the app, then do the important battles.

This is solid advice. I lagged out of a conquest battle this morning because I forgot to reboot. That was on my 2019 droid tablet.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Using MEMU since i got back to the game. Working perfectly...at least as fast as android device and no issues.
    (i7 laptop PC, built to be LIGHT so "meh" graphic board...not even sure which)
  • Im on an Android phone and my game has been freezing 100% of the time. Sometimes it's immediate upon entering the game and sometimes i get to play for maybe 2 minutes before locks up. Been happening since the nov 17th update.

Most, if not all emulators use the Android engine, so basically Emulators = Android, so yes they are required to fix this. And yes, Android has a lot of issues, starting from fps locks to 27-30 (which is hard to notice on Android phones that aren't able to run higher than 30 fps, or on emulators that aren't configured to run higher than 30 fps). Increased freezing, crashing, and hanging issues, all of this is present since 17th of November patch. At least half of my guild members use Android phones and most of them are experiencing all this.

• JoryG87 wrote: »
    I am playing with an Android phone. Have no problems.

You don't experience frequent crashes/freezes/hanging? Is your phone capable of running on 60 fps? My ROG 3 is stuck on 27 fps ever since November 17th patch, even though it ran on 60 fps perfectly fine before the patch. Also both my ROG 3 and Galaxy A5 both crash, freeze and hang quite often since that patch.
  • I can confirm both that Andriod play is fine (playing on a Pixel 3), as well as Bluestacks performance has been awful (I used to stream my KAM missions via bluestacks and discord on my PC, but I've not done so in the past three months since it the update that's been causing extreme slowdown to the point of unplayability.

Just because you aren't experiencing issues on your Pixel 3, does not mean "Android play is fine". Far as i noticed, most Android users are experiencing all kinds of issues since November 17th patch.
  • HandSolo93 wrote: »
    The game isn’t developed to be able to run on an emulator. The fact that it does is not because of CG, but because of the emulator developers. Thus, any issues with the emulator and what can run on it is in no way, shape or form CG’s responsibility.

The game not running on Android sounds like a stretch, but you should probably provide more technical details about what kind of Android you are trying to run it on.

It is not directly developed to run on emulators, but since most, if not all emulators run on Android engine, the game is indirectly developed to be able to run on emulators perfectly fine, that is why Android and emulators always share the same issues when the issues come up.

I don't recall anyone mentioning that the game is "not running" on Android, but that there are large issues with Swgoh running on most Android devices.
  • zatho wrote: »
    I wonder why. Can you spend no money on emulators and people who don't play on a mobile phone are no valuable customers? I mean there are so many kinds of phones, that they need to optimize the game for and so few emulators..

They don't need to optimize anything specifically for emulators, and never did, since emulators are basically just non-physical Android phones/tablets. By optimizing for Android, they are optimizing for emulators as well.
  • Ghost666 wrote: »
    Using MEMU since i got back to the game. Working perfectly...at least as fast as android device and no issues.
    (i7 laptop PC, built to be LIGHT so "meh" graphic board...not even sure which)

Does it run on more than 30 fps though? I can't get any emulator to run on 60+ fps since the 17th of November patch.
  • BuddyGuy88
    81 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    One issue that has been reported with some android phones (including both of mine) is that if you play the game, turn off the screen for a long while and go back to the phone, the game is locked up X amount of time. The music will still play though so the game isn't frozen.

After a min plus of waiting, it will either unfreeze or you will have to restart the game.

Happens to me multiple times everyday on a android phone not bluestacks
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    zatho wrote: »
    The last thing you want to do is support more devices, there is a lot of work, and maintenance involved in it, and its harder to test actually

You have iOS and the iPhone lineup which is easy to test because of Apple's ecosystem

and then you have Android devices, and multiple phones with different specs, resolution, etc which makes it incredibly difficult to cover all bases

The other thing is that emulators are not devices, they are programs emulating the devices (pretending to be a device)

If something works fine in the latest Samsung Galaxy hardware, but not in an emulator mimicking Samsung Galaxy, then its the emulators problem

CG didn't create the emulator, so they don't have any responsibility making sure the game is doing a good job running on it

Lets say you buy orange and create a juice out of it using a Ninja machine and it works fine

But the machine breaks and you decide to buy a off-brand juicer from ebay and the juicer machine has a lot of dust in its parts that gets added to the juice, do you blame the person who sold you the orange for not selling higher quality oranges that taste the same on your off-brand juicer?
  • You are not wrong with what you are saying Ultra. How about looking at it this way (a change of point of view as it were...).

Since that Nov patch, there has been an increase in in issues being reported on Android devices, so something in the code of SWGOH has changed for the worse.

Whatever that is, once it is fixed, I suspect the issues on the emulators will also be fixed or, at the very least, reduced.

Could it be a coincidence that the two happened at the same time? Yes of course. Only one way to find out.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    The last thing you want to do is support more devices, there is a lot of work, and maintenance involved in it, and its harder to test actually

You have iOS and the iPhone lineup which is easy to test because of Apple's ecosystem

and then you have Android devices, and multiple phones with different specs, resolution, etc which makes it incredibly difficult to cover all bases

The other thing is that emulators are not devices, they are programs emulating the devices (pretending to be a device)

If something works fine in the latest Samsung Galaxy hardware, but not in an emulator mimicking Samsung Galaxy, then its the emulators problem

CG didn't create the emulator, so they don't have any responsibility making sure the game is doing a good job running on it

Lets say you buy orange and create a juice out of it using a Ninja machine and it works fine

But the machine breaks and you decide to buy a off-brand juicer from ebay and the juicer machine has a lot of dust in its parts that gets added to the juice, do you blame the person who sold you the orange for not selling higher quality oranges that taste the same on your off-brand juicer?

epic analogy :D
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    You are not wrong with what you are saying Ultra. How about looking at it this way (a change of point of view as it were...).

Since that Nov patch, there has been an increase in in issues being reported on Android devices, so something in the code of SWGOH has changed for the worse.

Whatever that is, once it is fixed, I suspect the issues on the emulators will also be fixed or, at the very least, reduced.

Could it be a coincidence that the two happened at the same time? Yes of course. Only one way to find out.

For sure, they should investigate and make sure the issues with android devices should be fixed

but complaining about the game not running on emulators won't be looked at by CG
  • zatho
    747 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »

Thank you for your response. You are right, that bluestacks emulates a device but is not a device itself. My claim, that there are few emulators makes no sense in that light as there are tons of different combinations of hardware that are used to run these emulators. I can see that CG has no capabilities and interest in checking all these combinations for each update.
    However as a lot of users suffered the same performance issues, especially game freezes, which happened after a software update by CG and not an update of the emulator or change of hardware, I am certain that CG messed something up. And as people have reported, they also suffer issues on their phones.
  • Ultra wrote: »

All that text, just to say that it takes more work to fix it.

Well, work more!
    The swgoghcomnunity pays much more than enough money to hire new/better people if needed.
    Unless, CG just puts that money away and craps on their paying consumers..
  • wharp
    212 posts Member
    CG has limited the game to 30 fps, I assume it is because they didn't want the game consuming all your device battery ... It would be better to let the user the choice ...