Grand Arena power difference is ridiculous

Prev1345
Krrsantan
11 posts Member
edited January 2022
My power is 1.4M, and in my grand arena are a bunch of players with 4M power and one of them has a galactic legend. I mean come on, that’s ridiculous, why in the world am I being put in the same round as these guys?!

Replies

• And you will probably beat some of them, don't fret too much. This is how the season was designed and is working properly. They might have higher GP but it is irrelevant, look at their rosters and GAC history and you'll likely find they don't know what they are doing too much, which is why they have dropped down to Bronzium.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Stop winning so much. Simple 🤔
  • And you will probably beat some of them, don't fret too much. This is how the season was designed and is working properly. They might have higher GP but it is irrelevant, look at their rosters and GAC history and you'll likely find they don't know what they are doing too much, which is why they have dropped down to Bronzium.

Yeah actually I guess that makes sense
  • Or they tanked on purpose so they can spend a month wailing on rosters like the OP.
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Or they tanked on purpose so they can spend a month wailing on rosters like the OP.

This is going to start happening when people realize fighting at higher ranks ends up with more losses which means less crystals.
  • RTS
    682 posts Member
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Or they tanked on purpose so they can spend a month wailing on rosters like the OP.

This is going to start happening when people realize fighting at higher ranks ends up with more losses which means less crystals.

But to "tank" yourself you have to lose a bunch, so it won't actually do anything.
  • Maybe they just don't care about gac. Maybe they just set defense, forget about attack and lose.
    I did that in the last GAC pre-change. I was tired of it and never attacked on many battles.
  • Koushe
    18 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    they move SQUAD ARENA - to only GAC (so 2 modes in 1), because they claim we should put more attention on GAC, so squad arena is useless now - ok, no problem if they move rewards and everything to GAC.
    but after season some ppl upgrade their leagues, some downgrade.
    AND IF GAC is like 30-50% value of the game now, why we have freaking broken matchmaking, IF you cant make it properly just dont do it, why before 'state of galaxy' I COULD CHOSE enemy in squad arena and get crystals, but now these rewards are independet of me, I dont have choice (no need choice, if enemy has 600k+- GP around me), now it works like completly random 1-4M more GP, lets set all on defense and look how opponent clearing you and u dont have squads for attack
  • Matchmaking will improve with every GAC. This is only the 2nd.
  • I feel like people are fundamentally misunderstanding how the skill rating works.
  • el_mago wrote: »
    I feel like people are fundamentally misunderstanding how the skill rating works.

This. It dont matter how much GP you got, you are matched against people with the same skill, im sitting at 3272 rating and I will face anyone with the rating of 3310 to 3610. It doesn't matter if that person got 9 mil gp or 1 mil gp
  • If anything this new system shows how IMBA matching only by GP was.

I'm at 1.7 million GP and someone in my GAC is at 2.4 million GP with zero G13 and only 2 G12 characters. With a roster like that they must have never won a GAC.
    I feel like people are fundamentally misunderstanding how the skill rating works.

I feel like people are fundamentally misunderstanding how flawed CG’s skill system is. I get it’s still early but if people are being matched up with opponents millions of GP higher than them, something is wrong.

This. It dont matter how much GP you got, you are matched against people with the same skill, im sitting at 3272 rating and I will face anyone with the rating of 3310 to 3610. It doesn't matter if that person got 9 mil gp or 1 mil gp

Considering how the actual groupings are done, I highly doubt that anyone with a skill rating of 3610 is going to get matched against someone with a rating of 3272.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »
    el_mago wrote: »

I feel like people are fundamentally misunderstanding how flawed CG’s skill system is. I get it’s still early but if people are being matched up with opponents millions of GP higher than them, something is wrong.

Not really, because we aren't matching on GP anymore; you have to get that thinking out of your head. You're now based on skill. That person who is a million higher than you is doing something wrong (or you are doing something right) if he/she is matched up with you.
    Ravens1113 wrote: »

Not really, because we aren't matching on GP anymore; you have to get that thinking out of your head. You're now based on skill. That person who is a million higher than you is doing something wrong (or you are doing something right) if he/she is matched up with you.

Question is why we still have GP? CG shall be consistent and remove that non-sense number from the game completely. Do the same with TW and TB GP threshold. Change TW reward brackets into overall skill level of the guild. Remove the TB battle minimum GP requirement (never made sense anyway).

Let's get rid of that GP number from the game and people might finally stop whining.

But there’s something flawed in that system then if the groupings are making that big of mismatches. GP aside then (which usually is telling fo roster depth/GL ownership) there needs to be some stipulations into skill points based on GL’s, roster depth, etc.

The wins/losses are a good way to push things in a purely skilled favor but they need to put GL’s, GP, roster depth, mods, etc somewhere into those calculations. How heavy is to be determined but there’s no reason why there’s such big mismatches.
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »
    there’s no reason why there’s such big mismatches.

But there is.

Non-participation.

Theoretically, with how current matchmaking works, if you join every GAC but never participate and thus get a loss every single round, it's possible for a 10M GP account to end up in carbonite and matched against someone that's literally a fresh level 85 joining GAC for the first time.

Which... is fine, provided said person still continues to not participate. You get 10 points for going into a battle with a single char and having that char instantly die. So FULL non-participation is impossible to block someone, as they literally don't need to win a single battle to qualify for rewards and thus win if you do quite literally nothing.

Is it perhaps demoralizing to be the lower GP in that matchup? Certainly. But there's realistically nothing actually wrong with that matchup.

The only current issue is that someone that, theoretically let's say was caught in a natural disaster, and can't play for a year. Non-participation for reasons out of their control.
    This person may end up significantly lower ranked than they "should" be, and when they start participating again, will now be say, a 7M GP account in 3-4M range matchmaking.

But scenarios like that aren't going to be overly common, so while I think there perhaps should be some sort of secondary bracket for people that don't participate, I don't think it's a big enough issue that anything needs to be done about it.

The current issues will mostly be sorted within a couple months. I'm already seeing MAJOR improvements in my own matchmaking, as most of the people I'm being matched against actually have somewhat similar rosters, instead of week 1 of new matchmaking where I was matched against a guy with quite literally nothing that could beat 3 of my non-GL teams, and I have a GL....

I think the current biggest issue is that you have to wait until the end of the event (once/month) to move leagues.
    This is causing major issues in the 3 and 4 divisions of each league, as someone that's winning in say aurodium 1 is being promoted straight to kyber 3 or 4 and skipping the entirety of kyber 5, despite the fact that their roster isn't actually on par with what people in kyber 3 or 4 currently have. (and this is the case for every league, not just kyber.) - While I understand the logic behind only promoting leagues at the end of events, I think that perhaps it shouldn't be possible to skip a division and regardless of your win streak in your previous league, you should perhaps HAVE to start at next league 5.

But TL;DR - With how the current matchmaking works, you SHOULD be seeing large GP differences. Because someone with 2M of garbage characters isn't winning matches against someone without those 2M of garbage characters but 500k more GP of good characters. You can wall someone off entirely with GLs and S-tier defense teams if they didn't go after any meta teams, regardless of your GP.

Someone with R7 Phoenix isn't beating someone with a R7 DR team regardless of whether or not those 2 teams have similar GP weights.
  • Antario wrote: »

Question is why we still have GP? CG shall be consistent and remove that non-sense number from the game completely. Do the same with TW and TB GP threshold. Change TW reward brackets into overall skill level of the guild. Remove the TB battle minimum GP requirement (never made sense anyway).

Let's get rid of that GP number from the game and people might finally stop whining.

You talk like GP was created for GAC or TW, GP is there so people can see your over all power and see if its even worth checking your inventory before kicking you out of the guild
  • Those big "mismatches" can absolutely come from non-participation; i might also add they can come from someone who has no idea how to use their roster effectively or use the proper counters.

I fall somewhat in that last category. I have a 5.3 mil GP account and was able to move up into K5, but I don't have a good, firm grasp on counters and how to use them truly effectively. I'm just kind of brute-forcing my way thru some matches and that is going to seriously hurt me IF i'm able to move up more in Kyber where people are much more strategic.

I don't disagree, necessarily, @Ravens1113 , that there can be some delimiters with respect to rosters with or without a GL not playing each other, but i am actually kind of liking the current GAC format. I thought i would hate it since i was in really good with the shard chat, but i think it's working out better for me in the new GAC.
  • Ponf
    26 posts Member
    @CG_Doja_Fett_MINI
    Hello.
    Can you explain how it works? My opponent and I have the same skill rating, but he is in chromium 3, I am in chromium 4. How is it possible? Shouldn't he be playing with players in his division? And by defeating him, I will receive a reward for chromium 4, and if he defeats me, will he receive a reward for chromium 3?
  • Nah because my opponent had enough teams to place on defense and win all of my territory, while I could barely get past his ships and other characters. It’s ridiculous because these guys with such high GP obviously have enough teams for that sort of thing to whoop me, while I have to use scraps. The matchmaking might not suck, but the fact that I have to use 5 character teams in 5 defense rows is stupid and ridiculously unfair.

Yeah, I do think it works out mathematically in crystals to drop down a bit so you can take 1st place in a few subsequent events.

Yeah, I do think it works out mathematically in crystals to drop down a bit so you can take 1st place in a few subsequent events.

It does not, at least between A1 and K5. I did the math in a post once. You can check my history if you are curious.
  • Krrsantan wrote: »
    My power is 1.4M, and in my grand arena are a bunch of players with 4M power and one of them has a galactic legend. I mean come on, that’s ridiculous, why in the world am I being put in the same round as these guys?!

The matchmaking is still designed to reflect you as a player, and it does so pretty effectively. It's what you can do with your roster and mods as compared to what others can do with their rosters and mods. Believe it or not, there is a high -above-50% of players with nice rosters but horrible mods and dont know how to do GAC. The seemingly unfair matchmaking is still very much bringing down a lot of horrible players. Remember, by definition half of the population is below average.
  • zatho
    747 posts Member
    I am sometimes surprised how I can win against people with 2,5 more GLs, who have a lot more Relic Teams in their roster. If people canot use their tools properly, maybe they deserve being paired in weaker groups. Until they have such an advantage in strength that it compensates their skill.
  • StarSon
    7405 posts Member
    Ponf wrote: »
    CG_Doja_Fett_MINI
    Hello.
    Can you explain how it works? My opponent and I have the same skill rating, but he is in chromium 3, I am in chromium 4. How is it possible? Shouldn't he be playing with players in his division? And by defeating him, I will receive a reward for chromium 4, and if he defeats me, will he receive a reward for chromium 3?

MM is strictly by skill rating, and you cannot be matched with someone in a different league. After this week I imagine you won't be able to match against someone in another division, either.
  • RTS
    682 posts Member

No, it's not.

This is literally how ladder systems work.
  • StarSon wrote: »
    Ponf wrote: »
    CG_Doja_Fett_MINI
    Hello.

MM is strictly by skill rating, and you cannot be matched with someone in a different league. After this week I imagine you won't be able to match against someone in another division, either.

Have there been cross-divisional matchups? I would like a **** of that. They must be very rare, if they exist at all.