Grand Arena power difference is ridiculous

1235Next

Replies

• ne_alenska wrote: »
    y7k17y1w92ah.jpg

I got better reward after drop from Kyber to Aurodium.
    I was facing 2 or 3 GL monster before, I can't get 1 win in Kyber.
    Now I am the highest GP guy, I can easy all win but I give up the final round, so I can keep stay here.

So from k4, it was 0-3/1-2 all the way until a2, where you started winning again ?
  • Ghost666 wrote: »
    Now I am the highest GP guy, I can easy all win but I give up the final round, so I can keep stay here.

Like i said...
    Ghost666 wrote: »
    I play other games with win/loss ratios as matchmaking...usually with some additional "filters"...and someone always finds a way to abuse the system :)

Someone always tries to find an angle...not sure if it works or not...and not my place to judge...but it is hard to design a system that is not possible to "break"...

• Again I will loose all my battles because of people with High GP not deploying then having so many squads that they crush me... This is so annoying.

Those who don't deploy should automatically lose their matches. This is not fun at all!!
    "You could warn me when I do something bad. Blink once for dark side, twice for light"
  • Also, if he keeps going 2-1, he'll move up eventually and have to tank a 1-2 or 0-3 again.
  • Ghost666
    327 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Also, if he keeps going 2-1, he'll move up eventually and have to tank a 1-2 or 0-3 again.
    I guess i am up agaist one of these...for some reason the oponent is much stronger but is not attacking...i took 2 territories (all i can do)...but he is either waiting for the last moment...or is forfitting to get easier opps...
    (He will get another "loser" next and last one will be semi-random)

I dont see the "why"...but i will do my part...as the math above seems to show...the higher i can climb, the more crystals i get...even if i drop again next...
    (at least he deployed normally...)
  • Magnar wrote: »
    You will get matched with impossible to beat opponents eventually and then all those crystals will disappear.

That's functionally impossible. If everyone reaches a point where it's impossible then everyone will also see easy wins. Someone has to be the dominant player in that scenario.

If everyone climbs till they can't win they'll drift down, or other players will follow and be easy for those that are above them already. And that's exactly what this system does. You win and climb till you can't and you'll either settle into your spot or keeps fluctuating. No different than arena in this regard. Climb till you can't win anymore, you get pushed back and climb again.

The mega krackens at the top are the exception. They can stay at the top assuming they have at least minimal skill.

The players below them will hit a wall they can't beat and also be the wall for the players below that.

What some fail to see that in a collection game, skill only accounts for a small amount of a win. Yes. If your opponent doesn't play, then that is a win. But people keep assuming that there are players bad enough that they won't be able to crush an opponent with a 3 mil gp disadvantage. At that point you can just hope they don't show up. Because even if they suck, they can place a hard defense and still auto your defense in most cases.

At the top it doesn't seem that bad. I'm at about 7 mil gp on my main and most of my matches have been around 1 mil gp either way and most decided with only a few banners.

My alt is another story. At 2.5 mil gp, I have regularly seen opponents that have 2 mil gp more than me. That's nearly double. Yes, sometimes skill or lack of your opponents skill can make the difference. But not always. Sometimes you just get crushed.

I've noticed ships is especially bad at the bottom. You quickly have to set 2 fleets. At 2.5 mil gp, having 4 fleets is a luxury that you can't afford. But my 4 mil gp opponents have far better ships just from playing longer.

And that's not to mention the fact that short of becoming a kraken, my alt will never be able to get top rewards. Even if I beat the ones with 2 mil go more than me, I will just face those with 4 mil more. So there's a clear limit to how high you can climb. And spending is the answer CG has provided.
  • Gorgus wrote: »
    The new system strikes me as both fair and logical for a game based on resource management and roster development. If you improve your roster and/or get more skillful at a faster rate than other players, you’ll rise in league/division and see better rewards. If the opposite happens, you’ll fall and see worse rewards. If you’re in a bracket with players with higher GP than you, it means that you’re got a good roster for your GP, and that’s a good thing.

The only issue is that it doesn't account for people starting now. Those of us that started years ago, have had 900 crystals daily for 5 years or more. And now are sitting in Kyber 2 still getting good crystal income. New players will get a couple hundred. No amount of roster management short of becoming a kraken will close that gap.
  • Me: 4xGL 99xG13 5*Executor 7.8m GP

Opp: 6xGL 200xG13 7*Executor R9s galore, R8 SK, R8 Boba2 etc 9.5. GP

Having "Whale Fails" Yo yo up and down isn't fun for those of us on the down side.

My opp can't beat their equals, the spend loads of money but are terrible so they will just yo yo back and forth? Meaning they lose to people with similar rosters who aren't terrible at the game, and get bumped down to win vs much smaller rosters only to get back to where they belong, but again they are terrible.

The rest of my pool was pretty good. I'm ok with mm but the yo-yo whale fails are a bummer.

I agree that sucks. Personally I think the gp match making better reflected skill than this system.

This system creates an artificial floor for those crappy whales. Gp matching results in them just losing due to lack of skills while those that know how to build and use a roster win.
  • MilHanso wrote: »
    Again I will loose all my battles because of people with High GP not deploying then having so many squads that they crush me... This is so annoying.

Those who don't deploy should automatically lose their matches. This is not fun at all!!

They played and won, seems fair. They didn’t gain any advantage autodeploying weird teams without synergy.
    The new system strikes me as both fair and logical for a game based on resource management and roster development. If you improve your roster and/or get more skillful at a faster rate than other players, you’ll rise in league/division and see better rewards. If the opposite happens, you’ll fall and see worse rewards. If you’re in a bracket with players with higher GP than you, it means that you’re got a good roster for your GP, and that’s a good thing.

The only issue is that it doesn't account for people starting now. Those of us that started years ago, have had 900 crystals daily for 5 years or more. And now are sitting in Kyber 2 still getting good crystal income. New players will get a couple hundred. No amount of roster management short of becoming a kraken will close that gap.

Yeah new players today will never see Kyber 2 no matter how much skill they have. You have to accept that the people in Kyber now are playing a different game than you are.. your competition are the ones starting now or in the past year, you can pass SOME people but will never catchup to the day 1 accounts. Of course we never could before either but at least we had the same income... now they get more income AND were already ahead of us.

Grum the third swgoh.gg https://swgoh.gg/p/144884575/
    || Grum the Mighty swgoh.gg || OldBaldGuyGaming Youtube
  • ImaSmakya wrote: »

But you’re giving up 40 crystals every day (1200’ish a month) and the end of season rewards are lower. If it does end up being more crystals in the long run (doubtful), it’s not nearly as many as you think.

Yes but the victory rewards per round can cover that

Yeah new players today will never see Kyber 2 no matter how much skill they have. You have to accept that the people in Kyber now are playing a different game than you are.. your competition are the ones starting now or in the past year, you can pass SOME people but will never catchup to the day 1 accounts. Of course we never could before either but at least we had the same income... now they get more income AND were already ahead of us.

Yeah that's my biggest gripe about the new system. At least it was possible to get top rewards in squad arena ftp with enough effort. Not so anymore. If you've played since launch, you may come close enough though but nee ftp are screwed.
  • Starslayer wrote: »
    MilHanso wrote: »
    Again I will loose all my battles because of people with High GP not deploying then having so many squads that they crush me... This is so annoying.

They played and won, seems fair. They didn’t gain any advantage autodeploying weird teams without synergy.

The problem is that those that are doing that aren't playing. They just auto deployed their roster and lost their matches until got demoted to a league that they may win just because they have 2 or more million GP than their opponents. They are still doing the same thing, the difference is that they crush me and others with numbers.

Wasn't CG that said that players that play the game should be rewarded for playing and those that don't play should be penalised? This is exactly the opposite of that.
    "You could warn me when I do something bad. Blink once for dark side, twice for light"
    Starslayer wrote: »

The problem is that those that are doing that aren't playing. They just auto deployed their roster and lost their matches until got demoted to a league that they may win just because they have 2 or more million GP than their opponents. They are still doing the same thing, the difference is that they crush me and others with numbers.

Wasn't CG that said that players that play the game should be rewarded for playing and those that don't play should be penalised? This is exactly the opposite of that.

Fair enough, but that's not an autodeploy issue, because as they cleared you, they did play.
    That's a "some people prefer smacking around weaker people instead of fighting against people their size, even if it means they'll lose crystal, because they will" issue.
  • Tomatoes tomatoes...

So then they'll deploy real defenses and you'll lose harder? That's more fun, is it?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • The sheer amount of galaxy braining going on in the past 5 pages....
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »

So then they'll deploy real defenses and you'll lose harder? That's more fun, is it?

And then they will rise to their appropriate league as they were supposed to be anyway... Not tormenting the weak!! Duh!!
  • Everyone except the top 100 or so in Kyber 1 will stabilize at some small range of rank when they hit around 50/50 win/loss record average. Then better resource management and more spending will kick in to move this long run average rank up. I am really interested to see where I am going to stabilize in ranking after a few GAC as a 100% f2p. And whether my ranking will gradually go down as more whales spend to get past me, or gradually go up as whales above me get fed up and retire from the game. I like the new GAC system, it will give a visible evidence on how f2p fares against paying players in the long run,
  • sloweagle wrote: »
    Everyone except the top 100 or so in Kyber 1 will stabilize at some small range of rank when they hit around 50/50 win/loss record average. Then better resource management and more spending will kick in to move this long run average rank up. I am really interested to see where I am going to stabilize in ranking after a few GAC as a 100% f2p. And whether my ranking will gradually go down as more whales spend to get past me, or gradually go up as whales above me get fed up and retire from the game. I like the new GAC system, it will give a visible evidence on how f2p fares against paying players in the long run,

How will you be able to tell if the players going past you are whales or just better ftp? You will not have enough data to be used as evidence of anything.
  • sloweagle wrote: »
    Everyone except the top 100 or so in Kyber 1 will stabilize at some small range of rank when they hit around 50/50 win/loss record average. Then better resource management and more spending will kick in to move this long run average rank up. I am really interested to see where I am going to stabilize in ranking after a few GAC as a 100% f2p. And whether my ranking will gradually go down as more whales spend to get past me, or gradually go up as whales above me get fed up and retire from the game. I like the new GAC system, it will give a visible evidence on how f2p fares against paying players in the long run,

How will you be able to tell if the players going past you are whales or just better ftp? You will not have enough data to be used as evidence of anything.

The way I understand it: sloweagle IS the best ftp, so they must be whales.
  • sloweagle
    485 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    sloweagle wrote: »

Believe me, at my rank level, I can easily see if the guys I fight are f2p or not, by just looking at their roster. There are certain resources like number of omicrons, 7 stars recent marquee toons, number of R9 and GP etc that can easily tell if someone spent or not. I have seen a grand total of 1 f2p in my brackets since the new format begin, and I didn’t get to battle her in that bracket.
  • I think the matchmaking is totally fine. The first season was a bit chaotic as players were still finding "their" ranks, but now everyone is slowly settling into their appropriate leagues and division, facing people that are equally strong. "Strong" in this case is mostly a mixture of a person's skill and roster. Some people are in higher divisions because of their skill, some because of their rosters. People with both are usually very high up there.

If 2 people with huge roster difference get matched up, that means that the lower GP player has been doing really well, or the high gp player has been doing poorly, or both. But they are still equally "strong", because what the low GP player lacks in terms of roster, he/she will make up with skill.

Here is my most recent matchup:

Here is my opponent's roster:
    vq7jc72n8sti.jpg

Here is mine:
    l8hfng2b9jir.jpg

Here's the final score:
    luc4eyfapqy2.jpg

I'm 99% sure that some people would have immediately gone to the forums to complain about a bad matchup. They wouldn't even have bothered to play and then blamed the loss on the matchmaking.
    But people have to remember that there's a reason why people are at the ranks they are at. When I saw my opponent I knew that there was no reason to quit before the match even started. The skill-rating of this match was around 3600. I knew that if this person was at 3600, that meant they either don't care about GAC, or just aren't a good player. Skilled players with such a roster would likely be like 200-300 points above that. So I knew there was a chance to win that match, and I did.

The point of my comment is, people should stop blaming the matchmaking for their losses and should stop throwing the match even before it started just because their opponents have far superior rosters. Just remember that there's always a reason why people are at the ranks they are at. If you feel like you're stuck, then that means you either lack the skill or the roster to progress, or both. This means you have found "your" place and will only progress once your skill and/or roster improve. Simple as that.

• Just realized anotherpositive point of present GAC...
    Opponent has 4.5M vs my 3.5M...opponent has 24 relics vs my 12. I made a desperate plan (all out attack and a couple average+ tricky teams on defense)
    10h to the end of match i am ahead...one of my teams held 2 attacks and i have a small point advantage...

DID 5 very "on the edge" attacks requiring wins on ALL...The most stress, hard thinking and FUN i recall in mobile games FOR YEARS! :):):)
    (The best part...if i had failed...i would not be worried...it was to be expected...and even if he still pulls it off...the fun is still here)

I actually NOW feel motivated to IMPROVE my roster...and "this is why i play the game" :)
  • The point of my comment is, people should stop blaming the matchmaking for their losses and should stop throwing the match even before it started just because their opponents have far superior rosters.
    100% agree...and as i said just above...fighting vs "far superior" removes almost all pressure...we are expected to lose...all else is BONUS :)

• Ghost666 wrote: »
    The point of my comment is, people should stop blaming the matchmaking for their losses and should stop throwing the match even before it started just because their opponents have far superior rosters.
    100% agree...and as i said just above...fighting vs "far superior" removes almost all pressure...we are expected to lose...all else is BONUS :)

Yup, agreed. If you're a huge underdog in a fight, you don't really have anything to lose as defeat is usually expected. But that means it feels even better if you do end up winning :)