Odd GAC strategy

My current GAC opponent had one squad in Defence. Just one across all four zones.
I beat it in two attempts and now there's nothing left for me to do.
My Defences were full - max squads in every zone including fleets.

If my opponent would have taken out all my Defences, would this have given him more points than me?

If so, that's one heck of an oversight by CG.
If not, why did my opponent do it?

(And just fyi, my opponent has so far bounced 7 times off one of my squads so I don't think their strategy is going to work in this particular instance.)

Replies

• Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    edited December 2021
    Stenun wrote: »
    My current GAC opponent had one squad in Defence. Just one across all four zones.
    I beat it in two attempts and now there's nothing left for me to do.
    My Defences were full - max squads in every zone including fleets.

If my opponent would have taken out all my Defences, would this have given him more points than me?

If so, that's one heck of an oversight by CG.
    If not, why did my opponent do it?

(And just fyi, my opponent has so far bounced 7 times off one of my squads so I don't think their strategy is going to work in this particular instance.)

Your opponent probably misunderstood the situation with empty slots. Congrats, you win !
  • ApocalypsoNow
    6 posts Member
    edited April 2022
    I encountered this in my most recent GAC battle. They only put the Executor for defense, leaving every other defensive slot open.

If you do a standard defense and save some units for attack, they have all of their best units and counters to take out all your defenses.

While you get max points for all of their unfilled slots, they will still come out on top after clearing all territories.

After scoping out my opponent on swgoh.gg, my gut told me to put all my best units on defense. But I second guessed myself, put in a standard defense, and lost.

It is a despicable tactic of someone utterly incapable of winning a straight up match. If this becomes a standard tactic, it will entirely ruin GAC.
    (Edited to correct autocorrect typo)
    Post edited by ApocalypsoNow on
  • If they put lvl 1 teams on D and you can’t beat Executor you’ll lose the same way. It’s not a gac rules issue, it’s a ‘Executor is the only GL ship so you either need it or need to be able to 2 shots it with other fleets’ issue.
  • I encountered this in my most recent GAC battle. They only put the Executor for defense, leaving every other defensive slot open.

The 1 ship fleet defence is a tactic. It's kinda lame, and kills the fun though. If the player has stronger ships, but weaker character teams. The idea is to save all your characters for offence and stone wall your opponent on ships.

The opponent will get max banners for characters, but won't be able to clear the Executor. This way you can cheese a win.

It's still better to put some teams on defence though. Even if they're weak. 1. Your opponent may not have time to clear them. 2. They may pick off the odd banner or 2. 3. You actually allow your opponent to play the ****ing game.
  • I have done this before to see how this works. I’m in an odd spot in GAC where not all of my opponents have their first GL so beating my SLKR is extremely difficult for them to even come close. I got almost max banners against their entire defense and even beat their best ships on defense with Finalizer and Negotiator. It’s wild to think this strategy is an almost instant win so long as you don’t trip up on offense. I stopped using it awhile ago because it was boring and it also hasn’t been used against me yet.