Getting old with the GP disparity - every level is having this problem besides Kyber 1

Replies

• It’s really fun going against an 8 mil GP with my 6.4 mil GP. Totally makes me want to pull out my card and spend money CG…
  • I just beat someome at 11 mil GP which is over 3 mil more than me...
    This is a mode of skill not brute force
  • I just beat someome at 11 mil GP which is over 3 mil more than me...
    This is a mode of skill not brute force

8 vs 11 there’s a ton of room for strategy. Which GLs where, what metas, what omi, fleets etc. in 5v5 in carbonite 1M vs 3-5M there’s no deployment that can help. This is the whole point of the original post. Works fine for those in Kyber. Sux for the other 95%.
  • It’s really fun going against an 8 mil GP with my 6.4 mil GP. Totally makes me want to pull out my card and spend money CG…

Every single time this happens to me (3.8 mil account vs 5 mil, 6 mil, 7 mil) I have exactly the same thought... :D
    "You could warn me when I do something bad. Blink once for dark side, twice for light"
  • TL;DR - System is fine. Could be better but it is the best we have ever had.

As someone who is "skilled" and has risen well above my GP (started in Chromium 3 and will be in Kyber next season at 4.5m GP and 1GL) I almost never fight people lower GP than me. There is no point in whining that its too hard, I WANT competition I WANT my opponent to show up and kick my butt so I can try to kick theirs back. I win slightly more than half the time and most of the time when I lose it was because they had a bigger roster than me. If my "Skill" could make me win every time then it would be boring.. Much like computer AI cheats by having more resources, more units, etc because it can't compete with a players skill, its the same thing in GAC. If you want fair matchups (everyone finishes at .500 over the long term) then you have to adjust for differences in skill with GP differences. If you are facing higher GP accounts that means you have won more than they have. Its not complicated to me its just adjusting for skill by giving the less skilled more GP.
    Grum the third swgoh.gg https://swgoh.gg/p/144884575/
    || Grum the Mighty swgoh.gg || OldBaldGuyGaming Youtube
  • evilhighlander
    40 posts Member
    edited April 2022
    Shawkat wrote: »
    Let me save you some time. Here is how it actually works. For example in Kyber 2 most people only attack or try to win against opponents that are way below their roster. Because that is their only chance to win. So if they are facing similar roster, they don't really put much effort in. Let's say they have 8 mil GP and 6 GLs - basically a complete roster. They only attack an opponent with 3 GLs, because the chance to win there is higher. Just like in squad arena before where you could've picked easier and faster battles to climb. This is what's happening in GAC now.

My experience in Kyber 2 is virtually the opposite. The only players I have encountered that don't make an effort are the ones with 2-3 million GP more than me.. That's why they are dropping, and no doubt why I ended up facing them.
    I always put in the effort, and since the end of the second season, my SR has varied less than 100 points... (well, maybe 120) usually just above the cusp of dropping to kyber 3, occasionally dipping down and rising again.

• GA is in such a cruddy place.
    Squish is pushing down everyone so you rise back up and fight the people with more GLs than you because they don't know how to play the game, but just set them all on defense.
    It is so boring to go into GA with 3 GLs and get matched with people who have all 6.

Not to mention the game crashes all the time, it was fine in squad arena because you wait 10~ mins and go again.. in GA it can cost you the entire match. Bullsh*t place to put all the crystals now. It has lost most of it's fun.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Recurve wrote: »
    GA is in such a cruddy place.
    Squish is pushing down everyone so you rise back up and fight the people with more GLs than you because they don't know how to play the game, but just set them all on defense.
    It is so boring to go into GA with 3 GLs and get matched with people who have all 6.

Not to mention the game crashes all the time, it was fine in squad arena because you wait 10~ mins and go again.. in GA it can cost you the entire match. Bullsh*t place to put all the crystals now. It has lost most of it's fun.

Explain how the squish affects who you're matched against.
  • Recurve
    97 posts Member
    edited April 2022
    There are more people getting squished down into the lower kyber brackets, so Kyber 1 is shrinking all the time.
    This is pushing the bigger GP people who aren't as good at the game lower into the lesser kyber brackets.
    I win my games at k2 and get promoted back or float around here.. only to keep facing more and more opponents with 5-6 GLs.

Kyber 1 has far less people in it now because of squishes that happen.
    I wish I could explain the squish in greater detail but CG doesn't give us any info on what actually happens or affects it, I'm just looking at the ranking numbers for players in my guild near the threshold and their overall rank is just under 7k now at 3621 rating (3610 is the K1 cutoff)... this used to be waaaay more people in here.
    Kyber 2 has around 20,000 people so more are getting pushed down
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    There are more people getting squished down into the lower kyber brackets, so Kyber 1 is shrinking all the time.
    This is pushing the bigger GP people who aren't as good at the game lower into the lesser kyber brackets.
    I win my games at k2 and get promoted back or float around here.. only to keep facing more and more opponents with 5-6 GLs.

I wish I could explain the squish in greater detail but CG doesn't give us any info on what actually happens or affects it, I'm just looking at the ranking numbers for players in my guild near the threshold and their overall rank is just under 7k now at 3621 rating (3610 is the K1 cutoff)... this used to be waaaay more people in here.

6rkypciqyt8s.png

If the squish is a purely mathematical adjustment, why there hasn't been any squishes from the last season to this one though?

h5gqmmt9dfra.png

Does this still hold with what we are observing?

• There was a squish on the 4th/5th of April, we are into the third round of the season
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

K1 isn't shrinking (as a percentage) it stays the same.
    Pushing people who aren't as good down? Actually it's their performance that causes them to drop, but that's literally the point.
    The squish happens AFTER the round starts, and doesn't change rankings, so you haven't shown how it possibly affects your matches.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »

Pushing people who aren't as good down? Actually it's their performance that causes them to drop, but that's literally the point.
    The squish happens AFTER the round starts, and doesn't change rankings, so you haven't shown how it possibly affects your matches.

Do you have any data that it isn't shrinking on percentage? I don't, but I vaguely remember k1 standings in 5 digit numbers at the beginning. Either way, the above data point I gave of 3611-7332th spot can be used whether or not this is happening next time we get to it.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    MaruMaru wrote: »

Do you have any data that it isn't shrinking on percentage? I don't, but I vaguely remember k1 standings in 5 digit numbers at the beginning. Either way, the above data point I gave of 3611-7332th spot can be used whether or not this is happening next time we get to it.

The entire purpose is to keep the percentages in each division/league within the stated ranges. I don't remember them exactly, but they have been posted.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member

The entire purpose is to keep the percentages in each division/league within the stated ranges. I don't remember them exactly, but they have been posted.

That's the stated purpose. What I'm asking is if that's what's really happening. By posted you mean the intended % in each league was posted somewhere?
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

That's the stated purpose. What I'm asking is if that's what's really happening. By posted you mean the intended % in each league was posted somewhere?

Yes. For example, I think 10% of kyber should be in k1.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    10, 25, 30, 25, 10. For divisions 1-5 respectively.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member

The closest I can find to that statement is here:
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/251720/state-of-the-galaxy-november-2021#latest

"Your Skill Rating will be adjusted after each event and the group of opponents you face will be matched based on your Skill Rating. All players that finish the season in the Division 1 (the top 10% of the League) are promoted into the next League up and players in Division 5 of their League (the bottom 10%) will move down. (NOTE: You will not face another player outside of your League)"

Is this what you mean?
  • Gorgus
    122 posts Member
    edited April 2022
    Shawkat wrote: »
    Let me save you some time. Here is how it actually works. For example in Kyber 2 most people only attack or try to win against opponents that are way below their roster. Because that is their only chance to win. So if they are facing similar roster, they don't really put much effort in. Let's say they have 8 mil GP and 6 GLs - basically a complete roster. They only attack an opponent with 3 GLs, because the chance to win there is higher. Just like in squad arena before where you could've picked easier and faster battles to climb. This is what's happening in GAC now.

I’ve been in Kyber 2 for many weeks in a row and this isn’t my experience at all. I am wondering what the basis of your claim is.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/251720/state-of-the-galaxy-november-2021#latest

"Your Skill Rating will be adjusted after each event and the group of opponents you face will be matched based on your Skill Rating. All players that finish the season in the Division 1 (the top 10% of the League) are promoted into the next League up and players in Division 5 of their League (the bottom 10%) will move down. (NOTE: You will not face another player outside of your League)"

Is this what you mean?

Could be. We've had the numbers a long time without question, I don't really remember where they came from to start with.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member

Is this what you mean?

Could be. We've had the numbers a long time without question, I don't really remember where they came from to start with.

Ok then, can't say that was convincing the % in each division/league is staying constant.

Since the playerbase doesn't suddenly expand or contract the next -just at the k1 cutoff- also be something close to 7300th spot. I'll try to keep in mind and report back on next squish.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

Is this what you mean?

Ok then, can't say that was convincing the % in each division/league is staying constant.

Since the playerbase doesn't suddenly expand or contract the next -just at the k1 cutoff- also be something close to 7300th spot. I'll try to keep in mind and report back on next squish.

That's how it's meant to work, and there's been no reason to doubt it. But by all means, knock yourself out.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Maybe this helps explain it. We already went over it on another thread:
    acbt5sbcvcdv.jpg
  • So basically, there were far too many players in the higher divisions, so the squish is reducing this number and therefore the amount of payouts. This is pushing the larger rosters down into the lower divisions and ergo the squish is affecting matchmaking for players who do well in GAC
    Nothing to do with skill rating. These matchups in Kyber 2 are way harder and against higher GP rosters than ever before.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    So basically, there were far too many players in the higher divisions, so the squish is reducing this number and therefore the amount of payouts. This is pushing the larger rosters down into the lower divisions and ergo the squish is affecting matchmaking for players who do well in GAC
    Nothing to do with skill rating. These matchups in Kyber 2 are way harder and against higher GP rosters than ever before.

Not really. The rank orders stay the same so you're still matched against the same people. If someone gets pushed from k1 to K2, they're still playing the same people they would have played, because those people were squished an equal amount.
  • Recurve wrote: »
    So basically, there were far too many players in the higher divisions, so the squish is reducing this number and therefore the amount of payouts. This is pushing the larger rosters down into the lower divisions and ergo the squish is affecting matchmaking for players who do well in GAC

It’s nothing to do with the squish, it’s just the natural evolution of the system. Poorer/lazier players with more gp dropping, better players with less gp rising. You just get squeezed from both ends and it gets harder to stay where you are. It’s the same for me.
    797-722-718
  • Recurve wrote: »

The root cause is not the squish. There are two underlying factors, one long-term and the other temporary:

1. Rosters grow, so there is the inherent tendency of people rising into K1. The "hardware" requirement to stay in K1 is thus constantly raising. Just like how it used to be in the squad arena.

2. The 3rd fleet requirement are pushing down the GP heavy but ship light rosters. Fundamentally this is still part of 1.
  • I don't think Recurve is explaining himself very well, but I do agree that the squish can play a role in MM. Not for the first bracket of a new season, but for the second.

Example, Player A and Player B are 300 points apart before the squish. A goes 3-0 and gains ~120 points. B goes 0-3 and loses ~120 points. They are still ~60 points apart and have no chance of getting matched up. If the squish made them 60 points closer, the same results would make them ~0 points apart, and they would have a chance of getting matched in the 2nd bracket of the season.

However, his claim that the squish is somehow punishing those that do well doesn't make sense to me. If anything, by reining in accounts from runaway SR, it allows those climbing the ranks to close the gap quicker. But maybe he sees the matchup of Players A and B in the scenario above to be a punishment to A, I don't know :shrug:
  • Yes probably not explaining it very well, but if you are a mid player, winning more than you lose then you climb but the squish takes you back to your starting point.
    If you are higher and have equal win/lose you are still being pushed down into the lower brackets and as such get less rewards. Looking at the number of players in each K1, k2 etc you can see this number is going down a hell of a lot from k1 so less here and more people in k2
    Now this means that these high GP rosters are getting squished down into the lower brackets which is then causing more lopsided matches, and eventually pushing down the lesser rosters even more.
    Everyone talks about the 50% win loss eventuality... but with the squish this means you move down divisions for holding the same win%