What do I do to get good in this game?

Darth_rehab
posts Member
edited March 2022
So I started this game up a couple of weeks ago thinking this would be a bit more simple. I was wrong. I am simply lost and what my goals should be and what to do. I want get good as fast as possible but don’t know how. Could somebody help?
Post edited by crzydroid on

Replies

• Dianora
    116 posts Member
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wfwk5BBtFOm1ViLX7byX4UizKpdHSacItAT2TYMMxzQ/

Here's a guide I put together back in December that walks you through various leveling milestones. The tl;dr is you should be leveling to 85 as fast as possible (that means refreshing basic energy 3x per day at 50 crystals per and doing other refreshes--cantina, fleet--if you can afford them), getting together a team that can consistently fully clear Galactic War once you hit level 40 and be productive at 85 (I recommend Imperial Troopers), and working on your first fleet so you can get a running start there once you hit 60 (for all sorts of reasons the Geos--Geo Soldier, Geo Spy, Sun Fac, with Vulture Droid as a reinforcement) are the best at this and there isn't really a close second.

If there's some aspects in particular you have questions about, feel free to ask, though.
  • Depends what you mean by “good”, and what your way of playing is. For some people being “good” means getting the best teams, for some it means getting the best rewards, and for some it just means powering up their favorite characters.

This is a in-game-purchases mobile game, so the best way to get good as fast as possible is by throwing a lot of money at it. A LOT of money. Most notable is the Hyperdrive Bundle, which for ~$100 will send you over most of the early game.

If you’d rather not spend, and are looking for an early start, I’d recommend farming Phoenix for LS and Geos/Seperatists for DS. Both of those teams are needed for a lot of events down the road, and Phoenix makes an excellent early team while Geos makes an excellent midgame team. There’s also the New Players section for more in depth questions/answers.
  • Personally, I'd recommend farming up your Padme team, due to a certain character likely being farmable in 2-3 months.
    To do this, you need to focus on a Seperatist team (I'd personally recommend Geonosians), and the following characters to use on the team: Padme (Requires said Geos to unlock), Jedi Knight Anakin (JKA) (normal farm), Ahsoka Tano (AT) (Normal Farm), Mace Windu (Normal Farm) OR General Kenobi (GK) (Heroic AAT raid, guild event), and then Commander Ahsoka Tano (CAT) whenever she becomes farmable in the future. Prior to that, I'd probably say to use R2 or both Windu and GK, as it's not worth farming up a dedicated 5th that is 100% getting replaced in the near future.

I would honestly put Padme+CAT at top 5-10 teams in the game currently, and by far the "cheapest" of the teams performing that well to acquire.

Additionally, work on Rebels and Palp/Vader empire teams, probably Phoenix still for Rebels, though Rebel Fighters (Mon Mothma, Kyle Katarn, Pao, Cara Dune, Hoth Rebel Scout) are an alternative option.
    Empire team would be Palpatine (Legendary/Journey guide, any 5 rebels), Darth Vader (special normal farm), Mara Jade (normal farm), and then because we're talking early-game, Thrawn (if you go after Phoenix, Journey guide, phoenix x5), Admiral Piett (normal farm) and/or Moff Gideon (normal farm) - Piett and Gideon are probably technically the better of those 3, but Thrawn is basically free if you go after Phoenix as your rebels, and efficiency matters more to a new player than optimal team lineups.

So, Geos, Padme, Phoenix (or Rebel Fighters) and Empire (Palp/DV) as your first 4 primary teams.
    Additionally, farm up a Bounty Hunter team alongside them, I'd personally recommend Bossk, Boba, Jango, Mando, Greef + Cad Bane/IG-88/Dengar (choose 2) to round out for a dark side only team. - Bounty Hunters are super important for a ton of repeated events, more-so than any other team, so should always be a new player priority team.

Fleet-wise, for early planning: Dark Side fleet, Geo ships + Hound's Tooth + Tie advanced X1 + Slave 1

First major farm: Legitimately just go after Executor.
    Alternatively, SLKR Supreme Leader Kylo Ren, Journey guide, Galactic Legend)/Finalizer + Tie Echelon (Echelon is not currently farmable, should be in a few weeks.)

If the Executor and SLKR grinds feel like too big of investments, then I'd suggest going JKR (Jedi Revan) -> DR (Darth Revan) -> Malak -> CLS -> Chewie -> 3PO -> Han's Millenium Falcon, plus Phoenix and their ships + Rebel Y-wing + Biggs' X-wing.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Google and YouTube
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • So I started this game up a couple of weeks ago thinking this would be a bit more simple. I was wrong. I am simply lost and what my goals should be and what to do. I want get good as fast as possible but don’t know how. Could somebody help?

Hello there, and welcome to the game. It can definitely be a bit daunting starting out since there are just so many characters out there already, it's hard to know where to start. However, there are a few good newer player guides out there I'd recommend checking out.

In this "New Player" section on the forum I have posted a pathway to help guide you through some characters you should be farming as you start and level up, as has OldBaldGuy Gaming, taking a slightly different route.

The great thing about SWGOH is the community is amazing and always willing to help, so I highly suggest you also get on Discord where there are people always available to answer your questions.

The Free To Play Nation discord is a community of over 300 players now growing every day that is heavily focused on the new player experience, with a few YouTube content creators headlining the server. The link to join is below.

https://discord.gg/ttGS2CzU
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited March 2022
    In addition to @Dianora s advice:
    Join a real guild ASAP. One that is active (20k raid tickets a day or more) and which raids the Rancor and AAT raids at Heroic level. Then get a character to 7* ASAP in order to participate in the raids (f.ex. Zeb, if you play Galactic War successfully) and collect your own 600 raid tickets every day in order to stay accepted in a guild that carries you (at first).
  • KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    Welcome,

I’d say the most important part of this game is the marathon, set goals, build teams both light and dark side. Scoundrels are important as are bounty hunters. Your guild is very important, hopefully they are very active and the more raids / territory battles and wars they complete, the more gear, characters you will develop faster. Don’t be afraid to switch guilds to more active ones, some might even let you hang on the coattails as long as you contribute to goals.

Have fun, worries bring you down.
  • 1) Focus on something. Make sure that thing is something you enjoy/are excited about. Do you really like The Mandalorian? Focus on getting Beskar Armor Mando and then focus on leveling up him, gearing him up, and modding him up as much as possible. Learn about just that one character and the characters that pair well with him, and ignore the other 200 characters in the game for a while.

Unless what you're excited about is participating in theory crafting, following the meta of the game, and staying on the bleeding edge, do not follow "optimal" guides. Pick one specific thing that is fun for you and focus all your energy on that one thing.

2) Recognize that this is a resource management game first and a turn based battle game second. Where you spend your crystals, energy, your various shop currencies, which characters your resources on (and to what extent) will always affect your outcome in the game more than anything else. If you don't understand this, it's easy to get really frustrated with the game. (The game might also just not be for you if you don't enjoy the long term resource management aspect of it).

3) Everything before level 85 is simply the tutorial. Be patient!

4) There's a lot of good media out there, including Ahnaldt101, Vancele, Xaerith and APGAINS on youtube that you can learn from. Watch some of the battles they do, and read the kits of the characters they're using to expose yourself to the mechanics of the game. There is a TON of complexity in this game that comes from interactions between multiple characters.

Bad Batch is a great example of characters that are OK on their own, and have relatively simple kits, but their abilities combined make them incredible. If you don't really know how Wrecker's buffs help the rest of the team, then you're not going to make optimal decisions in combat using him. Reading the kit and seeing how others use it is a great learning opportunity, both for using and fighting against the team. Ahnaldt101 (in addition to being a great showman) does a good job of talking about why he's using specific abilities, which can be helpful for less experienced players.
    first order tie pilot
  • My theory is that you should follow the lead of the game itself. For example, first chars you get are rebels and empire. Focusing on those two teams will give you chance to get Palpatine and R2D2 which will boost your rebels and empire. Now with boosted rebels you can get Comander Luke which will againg boost your rebel team. Meanwhile, focusing on jedi team will get you master Yoda who's perfect with comander Luke and rebels. Ewok team will get you C3PO, Genosiean insects'll get you Padme Amidala for again better rebels and Separatist team'll get you true Chewbaca which will once again boost your rebels. With this you'll have team of CLS, C3PO, R2D2, Chewbaca, and Yoda or Padme, all unique chars working perfectly well with each other in arena for example. So in short, you'll need Empire, Rebel, Jedi, Ewok, Separatist, Genosian teams. You can notice that at the begining you'll obtain member of each of those mentioend groups. And I should mention that you'll need CLS, Chewbaca, C3PO and a few another rebels(and hermit Yoda) for ultimate Luke Skywalker quest. So If you don't know what to do I'd follow this. Then decide if you want Revans, or Legends. And last thing and that is only my opinion, but I just started playing from begining so I can tell that investing literally nothing in this game will be painfull at least 3 years long of daily playing journey to get to the lvl85 and at that time you'll be still far from obtaining even half of those groups. Since lvl 40 or so you'll not get a lvl per day.But do what you like ;)
  • So I started this game up a couple of weeks ago thinking this would be a bit more simple. I was wrong. I am simply lost and what my goals should be and what to do. I want get good as fast as possible but don’t know how. Could somebody help?

if it hasn't already been mentioned:

FIRST and foremost: Get into a real guild ASAP!! These folks will help you along your way.

I'll suggest my alliance. We have a beginner guild and opportunities for climbing into better guilds.

https://discord.gg/2E6z7RJy

hit us up on discord and we'll get you where you want to be!
  • el_mago wrote: »
    So I started this game up a couple of weeks ago thinking this would be a bit more simple. I was wrong. I am simply lost and what my goals should be and what to do. I want get good as fast as possible but don’t know how. Could somebody help?

if it hasn't already been mentioned:

FIRST and foremost: Get into a real guild ASAP!! These folks will help you along your way.

I'll suggest my alliance. We have a beginner guild and opportunities for climbing into better guilds.

https://discord.gg/2E6z7RJy

hit us up on discord and we'll get you where you want to be!

What this guy said. Beg big guilds that care about 600 daily more than all a d promise you will do what they say. Join their discord, and do what they say.
  • Spend your life saving on loot boxes and crystal recharges
  • DeasJam wrote: »
    Spend your life saving on loot boxes and crystal recharges
    Also, be sure to necro 7 week old threads with hilarious jokes.
  • DeasJam wrote: »
    Spend your life saving on loot boxes and crystal recharges
    Also, be sure to necro 7 week old threads with hilarious jokes.

Playback s nonstop sandbox