CG is developing the next LOTR mobile game

mesa176750
663 posts Member
Polygon: EA’s making Lord of the Rings games again.
https://www.polygon.com/23062514/lord-of-the-rings-video-games-mobile-ea-heroes-of-middle-earth

I'm curious how the beta program will be, and also how they plan to split developers between swgoh and the new LOTR game.

Replies

• LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    giphy.gif?****=ecf05e47sxih8idy96ri8vtm4hfqh98lhjnvd9ksbyoj3x14&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    Well, that explains the lack of content in SWGOH. Red headed step child status.
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member
    You know they’re just going to drop LotR assets onto the same base this game is built on.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    CG making a game with current technology and knowledge of what didn't work for SWGOH that they can't change due to architecture limitations and decisions
    interested in seeing how they apply their knowledge and experience
    "what SWGOH 2 would've been like" basically
  • That sounds cool. I will definitely play that
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    CG making a game with current technology and knowledge of what didn't work for SWGOH that they can't change due to architecture limitations and decisions

Technically SWGOH is just HoDA 2. Does that make the LotR game HoDA 3 or SWGOH 2?
  • So... when I predicted a new game in dev at CG I was told no way by some... hmmmmm

You faced Morgoth, You faced Sauron... Get ready Arda.. Now Hobbits, Orcs, Elves, and Men can join forces and band together.. Lore - Feh, Canon - What's that?

Betting ready or not it launches when Amazon Primes "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power" series begins.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited May 2022
    StarSon wrote: »

Technically SWGOH is just HoDA 2. Does that make the LotR game HoDA 3 or SWGOH 2?

Betting Glamdrig glows at launch because the SWGOH reskin will have flaws lol

Guessing they bought a license for the Hobbit, and LOTR.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    So... when I predicted a new game in dev at CG I was told no way by some... hmmmmm

When did you "predict" it? Because it was public information a couple years ago.

Not sure they ever lost the license. Though not sure who owned the studio that made the last two LotR mobile games.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited May 2022
    So... when I predicted a new game in dev at CG I was told no way by some... hmmmmm

When did you "predict" it? Because it was public information a couple years ago.

Not sure they ever lost the license. Though not sure who owned the studio that made the last two LotR mobile games.

Mid way through SWGOH. Yea, wonder if the license' are per use or game, or they never expire?

Question, if they announced this a couple years ago, why do the articles have nothing to show?

Post edited by DuneSeaFarmer on
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member

Mid way through SWGOH. Yea, wonder if the license' are per use or game, or they never expire?

Question, if they announced this a couple years ago, why do the articles have nothing to show?

AFAIK the way the licensing works, is a publisher buys a development license and then gets to develop against that IP. Nothing per user or whatever.

And the information (not an actual announcement) was simply that CG was working on another mobile game, not what it was or what the IP was. Don't remember the date, but pretty sure it was about 2 years ago.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

AFAIK the way the licensing works, is a publisher buys a development license and then gets to develop against that IP. Nothing per user or whatever.

And the information (not an actual announcement) was simply that CG was working on another mobile game, not what it was or what the IP was. Don't remember the date, but pretty sure it was about 2 years ago.

What was 2 years ago? The article is from 2 days ago.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    edited May 2022
    CCyrilS wrote: »

When CG told us they were working on a new game.

Edit: not sure exactly when they added this, but if you go to https://www.ea.com/ea-studios/capital-games/games you can still see it. There were some posts about it around the time it popped up, and others noticed some job postings at the time as well. As I said in my other comment, there were no details, just that they were working on a new game.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »

When CG told us they were working on a new game.

Edit: not sure exactly when they added this, but if you go to https://www.ea.com/ea-studios/capital-games/games you can still see it. There were some posts about it around the time it popped up, and others noticed some job postings at the time as well. As I said in my other comment, there were no details, just that they were working on a new game.

Oh, so DuneSeaFarmer was asking why after 2yrs there was still no game, and you're telling him it wasn't necessarily the same game that was being worked on?