Question for those with CG

Prev1
Commanderjar
29 posts Member
edited May 2022
With yesterdays announcement of the Lord of the Ring Mobile game, that will be Developed with the help of Capital Games. I am curious to know how many resources and developers that will pull away from SWGoH?

If CG is bringing in a whole new crew of developers and more to help make that game, amazing. But if CG will be picking and choosing which developers get to work on which project or just moving developers to the new project, i will have concerns for how much longer SWGoH will survive.

I spent multiple years playing a MOBA through their alpha, pre-beta, beta releases for 2 years, only to have the company slowly pull away the developers that gave that MOBA life until the inevitable death of the MOBA. As much as I love SWGoH, I am not sure on staying on a sinking ship as many others are possibly.
Post edited by Ultra on

Replies

• LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    All games end, just manage your time and money and you will be ok.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Quite honestly, this game had exceeded the lifespan of a lot of similar mobile games.

Will it end? Yes. Will it end soon? Not as long as it's making money, or until the IP license gets pulled. The latter of which is likely dependent on the former.
  • They can just not do any more development and put events on rotation. It I'll take 20 years for ftp to get every character to relic 9 so plenty to do.

That being said if the income is less than the cost to keep the servers online and IP costs, the game will stop
  • I'm pretty confident we knew CG had a side project going for quite some time now.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Imagine a company with more than 1 product.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    CCyrilS wrote: »

When Apple worked on the iPhone they took all the iPod developers away and now the iPod is dying
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »

When Apple worked on the iPhone they took all the iPod developers away and now the iPod is dying

They should have just made an iPod that can make phone calls.
  • PumaK
    301 posts Member
    edited May 2022

But iPods system was mainly free of bugs, and each update was already tested by professional teams before the release.
    They have PROFESSIONAL testers teams, they also don't promised to give QoL on a future and remain radio silent and trying to sell a lot of pay packs the 365 days of the year.

P.D.: also I'm pretty sure the PROFESSIONALS community managers hired by apple worked to answer community doubts and don't hide to choose what questions deserve an answer and what one to be ignored.
  • Jakdnels
    786 posts Member
    PumaK wrote: »

But iPods system was mainly free of bugs, and each update was already tested by professional teams before the release.
    They have PROFESSIONAL testers teams, they also don't promised to give QoL on a future and remain radio silent and trying to sell a lot of pay packs the 365 days of the year.

P.D.: also I'm pretty sure the PROFESSIONALS community managers hired by apple worked to answer community doubts and don't hide to choose what questions deserve an answer and what one to be ignored.

Also Apple has ~150000 employees. CG has maybe 200. Let's not compare Apple and oranges
  • PumaK
    301 posts Member
    Pretty sure they gonna invest more time (but not resources) on the most profitable of the apps.
  • I thought we were here to play SWGOH, not Game Dev Tycoon.
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Jakdnels wrote: »

Also Apple has ~150000 employees. CG has maybe 200. Let's not compare Apple and oranges

Yeah idk why we’re comparing one of the most successful tech companies of all time with an indie game company that’s only successful because of the Star Wars IP
  • Ultra wrote: »

Shouldn't you be actually moderating, instead of making fun of people? I would normally be surprised by that, but the fact you are a moderator for CG should explain how useful you are.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    edited May 2022

Apple products have bugs
    They remain radio silent on most issues you don’t really follow Apple news huh?
    they nerf products (headphone jack)

But yes, great way to take a joke at face value and turn it into another boring uncreative CG bashing post

Apple products have bugs

But yes, great way to take a joke at face value and turn it into another boring uncreative CG bashing post

Just go away, this question is for someone who can actually answer it.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator

Apple products have bugs

Just go away, this question is for someone who can actually answer it.

i think you’ve already decided the answer on your Opening Post
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator

Shouldn't you be actually moderating, instead of making fun of people? I would normally be surprised by that, but the fact you are a moderator for CG should explain how useful you are.

Cody answered it best

Companies make more than one product
    Yes, they hire and pull developers from existing products to work on the new one

They hire new ones for existing ones

companies don’t focus on one product at a time, they utilize their resources so that all their products are successful

Your question is more about how a company creates and maintains multiple similar software products

My post illustrates an example of that while your post, with no example but personal anecdotal, claims otherwise

I can make on-topic posts and contribute to a thread while moderating,

it’s called multi-tasking my duties, something CG is also doing with LOTR game

SHOCKING I KNOW it’s a rare skill only given to a select few

Cody answered it best

Yes, they hire and pull developers from existing products to work on the new one

companies don’t focus on one product at a time, they utilize their resources so that all their products are successful

Your question is more about how a company creates and maintains multiple similar software products

My post illustrates an example of that while your post, with no example but personal anecdotal, claims otherwise

Great use of a Thesaurus!
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    i’ll use middle school vocab from now on so you can follow along!
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

Cody answered it best

But can you do it while eating a sandwich?
  • Salatious_Scrum
    2309 posts Member
    edited May 2022
    Game studios often have multiple development teams. As we’ve only interfaced with a handful of GoH devs and Meathead who is stepping in in lieu of Crumb’s paternity leave, who knows how many devs CG has allocated for the new LoTR game or if there are any overlaps in devs.
  • Jkane
    220 posts Member
    At the risk of changing the subject a bit, the big question for me is how many are willing, considering CG's overall performance with SWGOH, to give the new game a try?

Big LOTR fan here, but I'm just not sure.......
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Jkane wrote: »
    At the risk of changing the subject a bit, the big question for me is how many are willing, considering CG's overall performance with SWGOH, to give the new game a try?

Why, just play the game for free and whatever happens is ok as you didnt buy anything.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Having never seen LoTR or read the books, I’m not going to just because I’m not interested. If you like LoTR it doesn’t hurt to give it a try to see what it’s like. No one knows how involved devs would be on a new game versus dev engagement in SWGoH.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Jkane wrote: »

Very small chance I would ever even try it out. Mainly I'm just not willing to spend time on another game, especially if it's essentially the same.
  • LordDirt wrote: »

"I wish this burden had never come to me.."
    "So do all that live to see such times. All we can do is decide what to do with the time that is given."

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »

"I wish this burden had never come to me.."
    "So do all that live to see such times. All we can do is decide what to do with the time that is given."

"A day without sunshine, is like, you know, night."