Bonus turn order

Edgar_the_Bug
136 posts Member
edited May 2022
Is there any specific bonus turn order for characters?
Seems CG in its infinite wisdom grants every second character a bonus turn triggering every second move these days.
So it’s becoming more and more common bonus turns are triggering on different characters at the same time. So is there an order they prioritize them or is it who triggers the bonus turn first or last or random?
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Q: Could you explain the priorities of which character goes first in case of bonus turns (or big TM bonuses). For example if Anakin and Padmé get a bonus turn, why can Malak go in between them if Anakin hits him?

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/217882/developer-q-a-11-01/p1
  • Edgar_the_Bug
    136 posts Member
    edited May 2022
    Thanks for the answer. I appreciate the effort although it’s dated and possibly wrong now as CG have changed how 100% TM or over works
    Also now it’s possible to line up about 5 bonus turns at once and then other characters going over 100% TM and also jumping into the mix.
  • wildnz
    254 posts Member
    Sorry I can't find a definite post. What I do know is when they explained the TM changes there was some follow up questions and they mentioned bonus turns now override any TM overflow and didn't elaborate.

When two units can be granted a bonus turn at the same time I don't believe it is random, but equally I'm unsure why. Ones I have seen myself is Bam v Maul. Bam will always interrupt Mauls string of attacks when one of Bams ally's falls below 75% health , and JKA also seems to always interrupt Vaders MM. So the inference there is bonus turns triggered by heath effects override attacking ones. Only way to know is if a dev answers or someone finds a dev answer previously provided I guess.
  • Artumas
    324 posts Member
    wildnz wrote: »
    Sorry I can't find a definite post. What I do know is when they explained the TM changes there was some follow up questions and they mentioned bonus turns now override any TM overflow and didn't elaborate.

When two units can be granted a bonus turn at the same time I don't believe it is random, but equally I'm unsure why. Ones I have seen myself is Bam v Maul. Bam will always interrupt Mauls string of attacks when one of Bams ally's falls below 75% health , and JKA also seems to always interrupt Vaders MM. So the inference there is bonus turns triggered by heath effects override attacking ones. Only way to know is if a dev answers or someone finds a dev answer previously provided I guess.

The following is purely speculation based on extensive personal experience with game testing, theorycrafting and super in-depth mechanics "puzzle solving" in other games. (and some minor experience in this one.)

I'd say that the way it probably works is something like this.
    Vader gains his merciless massacre bonus turn at the moment he decides to attack an appropriate character.
    Vader turn 1 in queue.
    JKA gets a bonus turn upon receiving damage, which is after "attack target decision".
    JKA becomes turn 1 in queue due to being the most recent.
    Vader moves up to turn 2 in queue.

Something like that.

Considering we know that there's an order of application for stuff like assists from how teams like Geos work and the fact team placement for them matters, this would seemingly make the most sense.
  • slickdealer
    1801 posts Member
    Bonus turns work as a stack not a queue. Last in first out.
  • Don’t think that’s true at all.
    Now that Bando has a bonus turn and skill with turn removal when he interrupts Maul and removes TM his own team can jump ahead of Mauls bonus turn with Frenzy also.
  • Enigmatic_Potato
    796 posts Member
    edited May 2022
    Don’t think that’s true at all.
    Now that Bando has a bonus turn and skill with turn removal when he interrupts Maul and removes TM his own team can jump ahead of Mauls bonus turn with Frenzy also.

Frenzy isn't a bonus turn. It's +100% TM. Bonus turns have a priority over TM gain.

Bonus turns can't be stopped with daze, Frenzy can.

Also, TMR can stop a bonus turn. (In very specific situations)
    Post edited by Enigmatic_Potato on
  • Dwinkelm
    765 posts Member
    Best I can guess with the specific case of JKA interrupting MM:

At the end of a turn, hard code checks to see if any of JKA’s allies meet threshold for bonus turn. If so, JKA is queued up to take bonus turn.

At the beginning of a turn, hard code checks to see if any enemies still have MM. if so, Vader is queued for his bonus turn.

If hard code checks JKA and assigns him a bonus turn at the end of Vader’s turn, it is queued up before the start of Vader’s next MM turn. In this manner, it is chronological/sequential.

In short, if a bonus turn procs at the end of a turn, it is queued up before the start of the next turn, even if that’s a bonus turn.

The bonus turns do *not* stack in this case
  • Train
    56 posts Member
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/234241/turn-meter-speed-overflow-changes

Bonus turns are subject to the same rules as normal turns, they just take precedence over them. A bonus turn is simply 100% TM gain that can’t be prevented with precedence over normal TM gain/turns.
    TM Swap > Bonus Turns > Normal Turns
    If multiple characters are queued for a bonus turn, the one with the most TM overflow goes first. This is why Malak or JKA can “interrupt” a Vader MM. If they have any TM when their bonus turn triggers, the bonus turn will push them into overflow thereby putting them ahead of Vader who will have exactly 100% TM since he just took a turn. If they had 0 TM at trigger, then fastest character would go. If still tied then coin toss.
  • Dwinkelm
    765 posts Member
    Train wrote: »
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/234241/turn-meter-speed-overflow-changes

Bonus turns are subject to the same rules as normal turns, they just take precedence over them. A bonus turn is simply 100% TM gain that can’t be prevented with precedence over normal TM gain/turns.
    If multiple characters are queued for a bonus turn, the one with the most TM overflow goes first. This is why Malak or JKA can “interrupt” a Vader MM. If they have any TM when their bonus turn triggers, the bonus turn will push them into overflow thereby putting them ahead of Vader who will have exactly 100% TM since he just took a turn. If they had 0 TM at trigger, then fastest character would go. If still tied then coin toss.

This is perhaps the best explanation I’ve heard for this, Kudos.

On a related note, CG desperately needs to redefine terminology. I would be SO happy if a QoL update was nothing but rewording & redefining kit abilities.

For example, based on the example above, remove the term “bonus turn” and replace it with “100% turn meter gain, which can’t be prevented.”

I was always irritated that a toon effectively loses their current TM when they take a bonus turn. If a character is at 99% TM, it’s hardly a bonus turn when they go next and then lose all their TM. “Bonus turn” should be just that…. Immediately take a turn and then everything goes back to business as normal, all TM in-tact exactly where it was before the bonus turn.
  • Train wrote: »

Makes a lot of sense, except in the case of GMY. I’ve never heard of or seen GMY’s bonus turn get interrupted from his first special. Not even Malak or JKA. GMY uses his AoE, then immediately takes a bonus turn. So that bonus turn is coded differently since he should be at 0 TM after his AoE like Vader’s MM. I admit that this is bias on my side because it’s my guildmates’ and my own personal experience, so I could be wrong.
  • chionophile
    1097 posts Member
    Train wrote: »

Makes a lot of sense, except in the case of GMY. I’ve never heard of or seen GMY’s bonus turn get interrupted from his first special. Not even Malak or JKA. GMY uses his AoE, then immediately takes a bonus turn. So that bonus turn is coded differently since he should be at 0 TM after his AoE like Vader’s MM. I admit that this is bias on my side because it’s my guildmates’ and my own personal experience, so I could be wrong.

This might be because GMY's AoE does almost no damage and you've never triggered a bonus turn from JKA or Malak with it.
  • Dwinkelm
    765 posts Member
    I also believe GMY’s says “takes an immediate bonus turn,” and this is the only description with the describing adjective “immediate.”

My anecdotal experience for GMY is the same, and I’ve definitely killed opposing units with JKA in their squad, so there is almost certainly a difference of code.
  • Metasly
    280 posts Member
    Maybe it's because GMY gains his bonus turn during his turn, while he still has 100% TM so unless someone else triggered a bonus turn and already had more than 100% TM, he'll act first

Only Wicket and Embo have similar bonus turn gaines during their turn I think.
    Wicket gains a insale 99990% TM so he'll act next for sure (I checked on swgog.gg)
    Embo have 100% TM like GMY so he should be the same