Note from the Community Manager - 12/22/2015

Replies

• Right now many are on holidays, but you GD's spend time replying to threads on the forum? Whether you celebrate Xmas or not, kudos to you for the dedication!

I tend to go rather hardcore on games I like, and so I've already spent several hundred dollars on GoH, unlocking almost all characters and working to set up my perfect team. I too can feel that I've hit something of a wall where the time I can play every day is severely limited due to lack of choices and slow energy replenishment.

I'm sure there will be more things coming along the way and am not in a hurry. Just seconding that more options to increase the play time every day is definitely a thing I think many players would like to see. I'm presently in two decently sized GoH rooms on Line and I'm picking up the same signals in both rooms.

In either case, great job with the game and I really appreciate your approach to developer-player interaction! Happy holidays and MTFBWY! :)
  • Okay I'm going to address as many of these as I can, but I'm not going to quote the entire post because it's really long and it's only a few posts up.
    Thank y'all so much for getting more active with the communication! It really is the lifeblood of a social game to me, and I really appreciate you guys taking the time to speak with us :)

* Crystal packs vs character bundles
    Here's the thing. Regardless of what we sell, I think the way you can distinguish that we want the game to be enjoyable for free players or players who might spend twenty bucks a year on the game is that the game is fairly generous with giving out crystals and there are no characters that are only available via direct purchase. And remember, for all the players who will buy the $99.99 pack (or similar), whatever additional content we gain the capacity to create because of the additional revenue will benefit all players.
    I definitely get that people spending mega bucks on the game helps pay for dev time for all players, but I think the point they were bringing up was that there are a lot of people that like the character bundles but can't justify spending so much for them. In the $10-20 range (even if they don't contain really rare characters / all the bells and whistles) allows for mid-core players to get into the spending as well. By all means keep the expensive bundles but please allow lower tier non-random purchases as well.

Here's what I'm going to do here. I'm going to ask that, in the new year, Jesse put together a thread JUST for character issues, and I'll lock one of our designers in a room with a laptop and some sandwiches and Diet Pepsi and make them respond to every item with either an explanation or a commitment to fix the bug (if it is a bug) in a future update.

I want to note though, and this isn't an excuse, that for every change we make to a character ability, there's a LOT of testing that needs to happen. So for ongoing issues, what you're seeing most of the time is that something was the lowest priority and was determined too complex to fix and test before the next release.
    This is also very appreciated! There are a few issues with some of the characters that keep them from being decently viable, and I'd love some direct communication on the issues.

I do have some reservations about the shard system though. I tend to err on the side of f2p in mobile games, and while the game is -extremely- generous in providing f2p players with premium currency, it does not provide them with the ability to quickly or efficiently change party members. It would take me weeks to grind a new character / star them up decently to get them into use; so any time there is a balance change I pray that it does not negatively affect my party.

This happened last update when you updated Sid to be so strong against Jedi. I get that Jedi were extremely strong in the final stages of the game with all the paid characters, however I was running two fairly subpar Jedi characters (Consular and Ahsoka). Sidious was already considered the best character from Arena Shipments, and now he is in -every- arena / GW team and my progress has taken a huge backspin.

I guess what I'm trying to say is while it may have been a required decision for endgame team balance, mid-game builds were also greatly affected by the change. Perhaps a better way to go about a buff to him would have been to make the abilities scale with the Ability level of his passive, that way it still balanced for the endgame without affecting the rest of the game so much.
    * Patch notes

We can do better in this area. I'll make sure we have this covered for our next major update.
    I'm very glad about this. A lack of patch notes (or items that are missing from patch notes) cause the playerbase to speculate about hidden changes and leads to a lot of negativity and conspiracy theories, so I think it's best for all parties to have good thorough patch notes :)
    * Players showing up at the top of PvP ladders

I've never heard a question about merging servers, but I'll answer it here: No.

(Also, you're not really playing on different servers. At least, not in the MMO sense. The PvP leaderboards are separated into smaller groups because it's more fun than competing with millions of people every day. Everybody is playing in the same database though, so for social features you can all see each other.)

If someone jumps to the top of the leaderboard, it's because we use rank-swapping instead of a points system. So someone can jump to the top by some fluke of getting lucky and beating the player at number one. And hey, if they just got lucky, by all means go knock them back down :)
    I think what they're talking about is teams that are thousands of power and 10+ levels behind the people around them somehow getting into the top positions of the leaderboards. It's been highly suspected that they somehow cheated or hacked their way into that position.

Anyway, thank you again for taking time out of your vacation and holidays to post here. It goes a long way and I do hope we can keep an active and civil discussion going. Merry Christmas!
  • Preemo_Magin
    1826 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Qeltar wrote: »
    The PvP system needs an overhaul (which I believe you guys are working on).
    Something "easy" on the developers would be open thematic Arenas. You click arean, and just like challnges, can get into more than one. Each one may have their own rewards (besides Arena credits), ranks. Arena shipments can be the same. So what are these arenas? Arenas to try our teams in different scenarios. You coukd therefore boost the needs to have teams that are all Jedi, all Droids, all high dps. Here's hiw you can do it, for example:

Arena #1: force disturbance - healers heal 50% of their usual healing
    Arena #2: tatooine - Specials do 150% of their usual damage
    Arena #3: cantina rough - Criticality 30% boost
    Arena #4: Female challenge - women to 2x damage.
    Arena #5: mix it - allies gain 4% evasion for each character belonginf to a different class/group
    Arena #6: you name it

You could slowly add modes, and even rotate per month. This will get people to experiment, diversify characters, spent money, and remain challenged.

• @Preemo_Magin
    Sounds really cool, I'd waste everyone in Arena 4.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Keaven
    1099 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Thanks for the response @CG_AaronNemoyten,

@Qeltar summed up my thoughts perfectly thankfully.

You did make a comment about no paid only heroes, and there are plenty of these.

Players having access to in game currency awards to get chromium packs does not fit the bill in my books.

The only decent way to earn crystals is with top 5 arena rankings, and paying players make this extremely difficult for most arena tables.

Even then, pulling a hero once is no where near the requirement to fully promote them in order to continue to be able to hold any decent arena ranking.

The only thing I like about the crystal currency is the efficiency and equivalent shards that can be gained from energy refills to a point.

And whilst there are different ranges of crystal packs when used for chromium farming the price of fully promoting any of the heroes found there is absolutely astronomical, and far higher than the bundles, where you at least know what you're getting.

And the quantity needed most definitely puts this out of the reach of f2pers even if they held arena rank #1 every day.

So there are many pay only heroes at the moment, and the rarity in which these heroes are used is also hiding their broken abilities, because not everybody bought one in a $5 exclusive like Dooku in order for so many to scream broken or nerf, so the really big spenders are preventing any others from touching them on their respective arena tables. The biggest examples that come to mind are Leia, Obi Wan, and Lando.
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Well... As a paying player I feel there's nothing wrong with getting something extra for my money. Why ever would I want to spend anything otherwise? And without paying players, well...

That's my perspective at least. I still hope and think that FTP players with a sound strategic mind should be able to beat PTP players who lack strategy or commitment. But I honestly think that the game would be broken if a strategic and committed paying player had a 50/50 chance at best against a similarly committed FTP player...
  • SolidSnake wrote: »
    As this thread get a lot of attention from mods, I just have one important question:

Is there a plan to release the pack-only character by non-premium mean at all, is it like pack-only first for a period of time then wider release or pack only forever?

Just so that I wouldn't hold my breath.

P.S. There should be dev QA thread, just saying...

We'll do dev QA stuff at some point soon.

Chromium Pack exclusive characters... that's a good question. We may rotate some out of being exclusive.

Those are good news! both of them at least there're still some hope but that's mean currently there's no plan of rotating, correct? so its gonna be quite sometime even if it's decided. Even so its good news nonetheless, thanks!
  • MeetraSurik
    313 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    @CG_AaronNemoyten @Qeltar Thank you both for your comments. These forums are awash with FUD, and it's nice to see a good-faith discussion with level-headed comments on all sides. Constructive criticism is awesome, mindless pessimism is exhausting.

As for my $0.02, I'll just mostly be echoing sentiments said here before.

The characters that can only be leveled or acquired via random packs need to be available in other ways. I like the idea of different game modes for different characters. Once the rest of the cantina is filled out, I'm sure every character will become farmable. Getting there from here, imo, should be a priority for the devs.

I'd also like to see more communication/transparency when it comes to balance changes. For example, @EA_Jesse had a thread titled "12-3 Known Issues" that included, among other things, Barriss' healing ability and Dooku's power. Obviously, Barriss took a nerf bat to the teeth, but Dooku seems to have escaped its wrath. Why was his power level important enough of an issue to be mentioned in that thread, yet apparently not important enough for anything to have been done about?

Also, Sidious never should've received that 35% evasion of Jedi attacks. Currently, not only will the AI make Talia try to heal herself, but an entire team's healers will try to heal a team-mate with heal immunity, which wastes every heal cooldown in one go. This means that Sid can already render moot an entire class of character, even without that buff. That he already had a self-healing mechanic further begs the question.

All that, combined with the Barriss nerf, seems to have shifted the meta too far in the opposite direction, making Sith teams including Sid the only viable strat. I'm positive internal analytics will back me up on that assertion.

Again, we need transparency. We're left to our own devices to try to figure out why changes are occurring, which is optically disadvantageous for you as a company. I do *greatly* appreciate the efforts made by EA staff to clear the air, and look forward to further clarification in the future. Please don't take my comments as complaining, as I am still quite optimistic that you guys are doing good work, and deserving of the money it costs to buy stuff in-game.

One last thing, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a mode that actually didn't have any rewards. If we could have something like a "Training Mode" which let us pick a team to face, along with their levels, star ratings, and gear levels. Reason being twofold: Once you've burned through all of your resources, your choices are left to paying for extra time, or closing out the app entirely.

The other reason being that it would be super helpful for theorycrafting purposes. I could build a team to fight against that usually beats me, and figure out better ways to beat them through trying different team comps and tactics. I know this would basically mean sacrificing developer man-hours down a game path that couldn't possibly provide any direct ROI, but it would do wonders in areas that are a little more abstractly advantageous. If we could do play-testing of our own, we could help prove conclusively that certain unwanted behaviors are occurring, like Leia's overbuffing or Asajj's inaccuracy when it comes to buffs. It would also help get rid of complaints that don't have any basis in reality, like the idea that Barriss can *heal* (not equalize) through Sid's healing debuff.
  • Jabberwocky
    1809 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    @CG_AaronNemoyten @Qeltar Thank you both for your comments. These forums are awash with FUD, and it's nice to see a good-faith discussion with level-headed comments on all sides. Constructive criticism is awesome, mindless pessimism is exhausting.

As for my $0.02, I'll just mostly be echoing sentiments said here before.

The characters that can only be leveled or acquired via random packs need to be available in other ways. I like the idea of different game modes for different characters. Once the rest of the cantina is filled out, I'm sure every character will become farmable. Getting there from here, imo, should be a priority for the devs.

I'd also like to see more communication/transparency when it comes to balance changes. For example, @EA_Jesse had a thread titled "12-3 Known Issues" that included, among other things, Barriss' healing ability and Dooku's power. Obviously, Barriss took a nerf bat to the teeth, but Dooku seems to have escaped its wrath. Why was his power level important enough of an issue to be mentioned in that thread, yet apparently not important enough for anything to have been done about?

Also, Sidious never should've received that 35% evasion of Jedi attacks. Currently, not only will the AI make Talia try to heal herself, but an entire team's healers will try to heal a team-mate with heal immunity, which wastes every heal cooldown in one go. This means that Sid can already render moot an entire class of character, even without that buff. That he already had a self-healing mechanic further begs the question.

All that, combined with the Barriss nerf, seems to have shifted the meta too far in the opposite direction, making Sith teams including Sid the only viable strat. I'm positive internal analytics will back me up on that assertion.

Again, we need transparency. We're left to our own devices to try to figure out why changes are occurring, which is optically disadvantageous for you as a company. I do *greatly* appreciate the efforts made by EA staff to clear the air, and look forward to further clarification in the future. Please don't take my comments as complaining, as I am still quite optimistic that you guys are doing good work, and deserving of the money it costs to buy stuff in-game.

One last thing, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a mode that actually didn't have any rewards. If we could have something like a "Training Mode" which let us pick a team to face, along with their levels, star ratings, and gear levels. Reason being twofold: Once you've burned through all of your resources, your choices are left to paying for extra time, or closing out the app entirely.

The other reason being that it would be super helpful for theorycrafting purposes. I could build a team to fight against that usually beats me, and figure out better ways to beat them through trying different team comps and tactics. I know this would basically mean sacrificing developer man-hours down a game path that couldn't possibly provide any direct ROI, but it would do wonders in areas that are a little more abstractly advantageous. If we could do play-testing of our own, we could help prove conclusively that certain unwanted behaviors are occurring, like Leia's overbuffing or Asajj's inaccuracy when it comes to buffs. It would also help get rid of complaints that don't have any basis in reality, like the idea that Barriss can *heal* (not equalize) through Sid's healing debuff.

Excellent comment, I concur with all of your points.

Especially the need to fix Leia and Ventress.

Edit: I've bought all the character packs an many crystal packs and don't mind supporting the game but feel like some of the issues need to be prioritized more than they are.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • -snip-

Edit: I've bought all the character packs an many crystal packs and don't mind supporting the game but feel like some of the issues need to be prioritized more than they are.

Thanks. I agree with that as well. For the record, I still think Dooku's 100% counterattack needs to either not proc from AOE, or not allow extra hits.

Of course, the pink elephant in the room w/r/t balance changes is the time it takes to test them out. Hence, why I only mentioned Leia and Asajj when speaking on the greater need to give us a mode to be able to do our own playtesting.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Discussing specific cards to nerf or fix may be a little OT in this thread I think? Ftr I battled top 5 on my server (am currently ranked #2), and not one had Dooku. Js.
  • Nonemo wrote: »
    Discussing specific cards to nerf or fix may be a little OT in this thread I think? Ftr I battled top 5 on my server (am currently ranked #2), and not one had Dooku. Js.

It's not that big a deal at the top level. When I was grinding through the 40's though, Dooku teams were nigh unstoppable. But you're right, this topic is probably out of the scope of this thread, so this will be my last comment on the matter of Dooku specifically.
  • Jabberwocky
    1809 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    -snip-

Thanks. I agree with that as well. For the record, I still think Dooku's 100% counterattack needs to either not proc from AOE, or not allow extra hits.

Of course, the pink elephant in the room w/r/t balance changes is the time it takes to test them out. Hence, why I only mentioned Leia and Asajj when speaking on the greater need to give us a mode to be able to do our own playtesting.

Not so much the 100% proc on Dooku that bugs me but he shouldn't get bonus attacks on counter.

and yeah, a test area, sandbox, whatever is a great idea.
  • I think an extra mode (maybe keycard battles?) that allows you to farm shards for any character that you have unlocked would go a long way to helping balance out the f2p/p2p wall. Right now if I drop $20 and pull a two star leia, she's never going to be used because she'll never be able to compete with a 7* sid that I can farm. On the other hand, if I could farm her shards once I unlock her, anyone with a bit of luck from the free in game currency or a minor spender, would potentially be able to somewhat keep up with the whales. I'll still probably never match that team that has 4 7 star chromium characters that all have great synergy, but I won't be stuck with the 4-5 free characters that every single player besides a couple whales will soon be running either.
  • Justin7402 wrote: »
    I think an extra mode (maybe keycard battles?) that allows you to farm shards for any character that you have unlocked would go a long way to helping balance out the f2p/p2p wall. Right now if I drop $20 and pull a two star leia, she's never going to be used because she'll never be able to compete with a 7* sid that I can farm. On the other hand, if I could farm her shards once I unlock her, anyone with a bit of luck from the free in game currency or a minor spender, would potentially be able to somewhat keep up with the whales. I'll still probably never match that team that has 4 7 star chromium characters that all have great synergy, but I won't be stuck with the 4-5 free characters that every single player besides a couple whales will soon be running either.

I can't think of a bigger disincentive for those who are inclined to spend to continue doing so and supporting the game.
  • "Anything relating to refunds – these posts have to stop, the forums are not the place for these types of discussions. If you want a refund it is your right to do so, we’re not going to stop you, but I do ask that you try to let us address what your issue might be first."

Thank you! Tired of these posts.
    Nothing more pathetic than paying to win.
    I think an extra mode (maybe keycard battles?) that allows you to farm shards for any character that you have unlocked would go a long way to helping balance out the f2p/p2p wall. Right now if I drop $20 and pull a two star leia, she's never going to be used because she'll never be able to compete with a 7* sid that I can farm. On the other hand, if I could farm her shards once I unlock her, anyone with a bit of luck from the free in game currency or a minor spender, would potentially be able to somewhat keep up with the whales. I'll still probably never match that team that has 4 7 star chromium characters that all have great synergy, but I won't be stuck with the 4-5 free characters that every single player besides a couple whales will soon be running either.

I can't think of a bigger disincentive for those who are inclined to spend to continue doing so and supporting the game.

/shrug it would fix all of the "don't bother with chromium unless you're going to drop $1000's" threads you see everywhere. Right now chromium packs are pretty useless unless you're a whale. Pulling a character means nothing when you can't rank them up. This is probably the only game I can think of where when I pull a chromium only character I go "meh" and ignore them in favor of my f2p roster. It's the reason I"ve mostly quit spending money on this game.
    Justin7402 wrote: »

/shrug it would fix all of the "don't bother with chromium unless you're going to drop $1000's" threads you see everywhere. Right now chromium packs are pretty useless unless you're a whale. Pulling a character means nothing when you can't rank them up. This is probably the only game I can think of where when I pull a chromium only character I go "meh" and ignore them in favor of my f2p roster. It's the reason I"ve mostly quit spending money on this game.

Maybe, I don't know what % of revenue they expect to get from chromium packs. I know my Maul is useless at 4* for my current level and I'm not going to spend on Chromiums to get him but I don't see how an area for farming choice of unlocked characters would solve this to any great degree since people would stop buying chrome packs anyway as soon as they have the toon they want and can start farming in the scenario proposed?
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    I honestly don't see the point in these constant FTP vs PTW discussions, since they all pretty much always boil down to different suggestions for making FTP more viable and for free players to get more stuff. They're extremely one-sided and predictable.

Seeing how this is a game where crystals are actually fairly easily to come by, you CAN just save up on crystals and still buy Chromium packs without spending a dime. Also, plenty of great characters are available through grinding - including Kylo Ren, Sid, Luminara, etc etc. It takes a lot longer, true. But in this game it is an actual possibility.

And on the other end of the spectrum, I just pulled a Chromium pack which consisted solely of shards which I can grind for, for free. That's not really all that great either, paying for Ewok scouts and mob enforcers when you need more Aayla shards. But you won't hear me complain about it. Because I know how the game is set up and I'm aware of the gamble when I pull shard packs.
  • FakeRobbo
    179 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    Some of you are getting the point here, others are looking into this too much. Regarding my comment on "Complaining about EA or Capital Games", I'm not shutting people down from talking about being unhappy, that is fine to do as long as you aren't doing it in a way that is hateful. Here, let me give a good example and a bad one:

Good: "I don't like the recent nerfs CG gave to XYZ character, I feel this was a bit much."

Bad: "Are you kidding me? Those **** at CG nerfed XYZ character? What a bunch of ****, I'm done with this game..."

You can always voice your opinions, we want to hear them, but just keep it civil.

Just wondering, @EA_Jesse did you get a violation for that language? Haha :smiley:
    Post edited by FakeRobbo on
  • Maybe, I don't know what % of revenue they expect to get from chromium packs. I know my Maul is useless at 4* for my current level and I'm not going to spend on Chromiums to get him but I don't see how an area for farming choice of unlocked characters would solve this to any great degree since people would stop buying chrome packs anyway as soon as they have the toon they want and can start farming in the scenario proposed?

Not sure, I'd think people would be more inclined to spend because they could get lucky and pull that leia, and have the chance for her to be viable, vs now where people just don't pull because even if they pull him he'll never really be viable. I guess it depends on whether or not the whales that are spending just for shards outweigh the people who aren't pulling because they realize there's not much point right now.
  • One last thing, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a mode that actually didn't have any rewards. If we could have something like a "Training Mode" which let us pick a team to face, along with their levels, star ratings, and gear levels. Reason being twofold: Once you've burned through all of your resources, your choices are left to paying for extra time, or closing out the app entirely.

I just want to add that this idea is really good, and could even be limited to fighting your own characters (which is likely much less complicated to make amd encourages investing in a broad bench instead of only a few characters). That way we can test out our own compositions as well as see how well our team does on defence in arena.
  • EA_Jesse wrote: »
    [*] Customer Support for purchases – there is nothing that can be done about these on the forums, please submit a ticket in game if you are having problems with a purchase.

Might help if maybe there was some actual helpful support given. I had a support person get all **** with me, because I wouldn't contact Itunes for a screw up made in game, not through Itunes, but in game.

So I was put on hold for approx 20 mins or so....yeah, that's good business practice

Vode an
  • Thank you general hox, sry i mean Jesse. ;D
  • Aron came in like luke skywalker, I can attest that with hard work and skill, this game is in deed a very good game compare to others in the market. You can get very high up on just skill and time plus a little luck. Im top 100 and my A team is farmable heros and not one is bought. I have higher standards for my self as a gamer and love a challange. I skip out on duko and yea i almost bought him, but i didn't. I saw what he could do and didn't want anypart of it. If you face my team in battle, they will blow your mind and maybe give hope to other low buget players like me. I did buy the 21 day subscriptions and i freaking love it, I have an idea why it was taken out, it was an epic deal! I however gamble it on the packs opening and i was raging fire when i lost every single crystal in the lottery. I can attest that I'm soly responsible for that action and im salty like a fish in the ocean. Overall this game is very cool and i would like to see it develop and prosper, perhaps i might even spend a 100 dollars on it one day. Just droping my two cents in. Thank you for reading.
  • Try to buy a $4,99 pack, dindt get because a bug, after that, I enter in contact with EA support and then I could buy Mace Windu pack. I did it, so I try to buy again $4,99, impossible, so the super stupid here, get barres Offe pack, in the same day it get nerf... Not contention with that stupid I buy Kylo Ren pack and 7k crystals... After all this, nobody answer why Conde Dookan pack 4,99 I dindt able to get... And it finish
  • I chose the option for them to call me, the first guy was an absolute ****.

But a lady called me last night and they made right on it.
    Vode an
  • @EA_Jesse Type of post I want to see:

Announcement there will soon be a way to change player name from randomly generated names like "Mol Eliza"—which so many of us have been stuck with—to a name of our own choosing. When I started playing, I kept waiting for the opportunity to change this, but I never got one. Some have said you have the option to change it early on, but I never saw it, and judging by the number of random player names I see in the game, a lot of other people didn't either.

I think most of us wanting to change our name would happily pay $5-10 for this feature—obviously you'd need to charge something or it would be abused.
  • Thanks for the info, loving the game so far
  • Please my characters have VANISHed in levei 54 and game has reset please Help me