Why is Grand Arena matchmaking so terrible?

Prev1345
Why? Opponents that are millions of GP higher than your own. Typically 2 to 4 million GP higher, just about.. all the time. It wasn't like this when GA was first introduced to the game. Opponents were evenly matched with you every round. So why was it changed? GA used to be challenging, and enjoyable.

Replies

• Kalino
    20 posts Member
    Options
    Matchmaking is only based on your skill nothing else, cant be more fair.
  • Options
    Fazed713 wrote: »
    Why? Opponents that are millions of GP higher than your own. Typically 2 to 4 million GP higher, just about.. all the time. It wasn't like this when GA was first introduced to the game. Opponents were evenly matched with you every round. So why was it changed? GA used to be challenging, and enjoyable.

Sounds like you've probably won a lot ... Once you start losing some your opponents will get easier either in GP or the ability to use their GP effectively
  • Options
    What division are you in? I have only had one person even try to win since 3v3 started 😂
  • Options

Have you been living in a cave for the last 6 months? Surely you have some awareness of the changes made?
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options

People were complaining all the time in the old system and asking for an elo league system where only your overall success matters. For good or bad, this system is gonna stay for a while, prolly for the rest of the game's life. So you better adapt to it.
  • Options
    Alot of people aren't playing or putting in minimal effort. Just the way it is.

Current system is fair
  • flux_rono
    2120 posts Member
    Options
    2 main reasons.
    1. its skill based matchmaking now not GP, GP was never a good evaluation in the past, and while this still has issues its a lot better. just stop looking at overall GP when its not a factor currently.
    2. the big annoyance is matchmaking only matches you with the 7 people above or below you in the skill placement instead of anything in your skill range that might be closer in GP. so instead of say 1000 possible opponents in your skill range you can fight, your stuck with 14 max possiblities
  • Options
    I liked the GP matchmaking. You wouldn't get stuck against someone that has twice the roster power, or more.
  • Lumiya
    1479 posts Member
    Options
    I liked the GP matchmaking. You wouldn't get stuck against someone that has twice the roster power, or more.

I agree. While it was not ideal and you had people whom tried to keep their roster lean to have an advantage, I never had so many mismatches as I have now or see from so many others.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Enas007
    63 posts Member
    Options
    From my point its due to 3vs3. Most strong players are not interested in a mode where you cant test and where most teams are fully desynchronized. So lack of interest which results in heavy drops down to low Kyber 1 and than do this uninteresting mode. Because of crystal income, but not for fun.
  • slickdealer
    1801 posts Member
    Options
    Lots of krakens never “lose” in GAC anymore.

They take a full week off and drop like a rock.

The next week they slaughter younglings with 3mil less GP.

Rinse and repeat.

Skill based matchmaking should still have a GP component.
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    Options

Rinse and repeat.

Until they face other players who did the same thing and can't climb up as they hoped they would.
  • Options
    Enas007 wrote: »
    From my point its due to 3vs3. Most strong players are not interested in a mode where you cant test and where most teams are fully desynchronized. So lack of interest which results in heavy drops down to low Kyber 1 and than do this uninteresting mode. Because of crystal income, but not for fun.

Rinse and repeat.

I love when people generalise on little to no evidence.
  • Options

Rinse and repeat.

This isn't true at all. The new system involves a lot more losses for those that used to go 12-0 11-1 per season.

You take a week off, you don't drop like a rock and you're no where near certain of going even 9-3 the next season.

Reward wise it also doesn't make sense to do this.

The ones that are dropping are either misguided or lazy. They're certainly not gaining anything from it.
  • slickdealer
    1801 posts Member
    Options

Rinse and repeat.

There are all kinds of 11 million accounts outside the top 1000 doing this.

My evidence is being matched up against them (at 8.2 million) and seeing their GAC history of skipping weeks.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    Sounds like you were originally seeded too low based on your GP when GAC was changed from GP to skill matchmaking, and now you've climbed to the point where you should have been seeded.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Rius
    364 posts Member
    Options

Rinse and repeat.

SWGOH.GG has all the GAC history to evidence player behaviour which leads to bad GP match ups. Including activity and full roster details. You can even see how well modded and if they use good counters, large rosters does not necessarily mean skilful. And this can sometimes be exploited.

I would give benefit of the doubt that if someone complains about activity they have checked to see if this is an odd missed attack or a pattern of behaviour.

• Options
    Rius wrote: »

I would give benefit of the doubt that if someone complains about activity they have checked to see if this is an odd missed attack or a pattern of behaviour.

When the initial claim is categorically incorrect; how can you give the benefit of the doubt that they've done their homework
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    Options

Once I lost 0-3 and dropped like a rock (bottom K1/top K2 range). I didn't faced younglings the week after that.
    You need to already be in a youngling league with a strong roster to face younglings after one week off.
    Players doing that gain one week off but lose on rewards, being in a lower division. It's sad for the younglings though, because those rounds are not fun, even if they'll win half of the time. Hopefully for them it's anecdotal.
  • StarSon
    7437 posts Member
    Options

When the initial claim is categorically incorrect; how can you give the benefit of the doubt that they've done their homework

How is slick's initial claim categorically incorrect?
  • KarateApina
    126 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I would count "Taking a week off" as losing. So never losing claim is false.

Even if they full clear every other week. That meas 50/50 win/lose. Just like everybody else who is trying.

If they have dropped way below their league. They have been losing more than winning. A fact.
  • Options
    StarSon wrote: »

Rinse and repeat.
  • StarSon
    7437 posts Member
    Options

Rinse and repeat.

Copying and pasting it does not explain how it is "categorically false," even if you add emphasis.
  • Options

Rinse and repeat.

SWGOH.GG has all the GAC history to evidence player behaviour which leads to bad GP match ups. Including activity and full roster details. You can even see how well modded and if they use good counters, large rosters does not necessarily mean skilful. And this can sometimes be exploited.

With all due respect, I would absolutely not give the benefit of the doubt for pretty much anyone whining on the forums.
  • Options

Rinse and repeat.

Rinse and repeat.

Copying and pasting it does not explain how it is "categorically false," even if you add emphasis.
    I think “dropping like a rock” is exaggerated nonsense for what actually happens. People would lose ~80 skill rating doing this. The suggestion that dropping 80 skill rating suddenly puts someone into seal-clubbing territory is obviously wrong.
  • Options

Rinse and repeat.

It's one of those things, proving it. And I'm a person who hate's talking in absolutes!

"Lots of krakens never “lose” in GAC anymore."

Absolutely every player has lost legitimately several times. Kabuki and ..I forget his name but was top, but seems to have taken a break lost legit games. Everybody below them lose legit games. Claim is false.

"They take a full week off and drop like a rock."

You take a week off, you do not 'drop like a rock." Depending on your division, you might now drop at all. Claim is false.

" The next week they slaughter younglings with 3mil less GP." A. You don't face younglings (as a kraken). B. GP isn't that much of an influence on your division now. Again claim is false.

"Rinse and repeat" Proof of krakens actually doing this, as an effective method? I don't believe there is any. So again claim is false.

It's very easy to make rubbish claims. It takes more times to counter the points. This is annoying, but I'll go further.

"There are all kinds of 11 million accounts outside the top 1000 doing this" Please provide proof of this. Without it, again the claim is false.

"My evidence is being matched up against them (at 8.2 million) and seeing their GAC history of skipping weeks."

1. 8.2 million accounts started in K1 right? Dropping like a stone is clearly False.

2. Dropping like a stone and facing 'younglings' (8.2 million) again is clearly False.

I'd expect players that take a week off to play such matches. However:

1. Krakens never lose X
    2. Drop like a rock X
    3. Face younglings X

All are categorically incorrect.
  • StarSon
    7437 posts Member
    Options

Rinse and repeat.

Rinse and repeat.

I think “dropping like a rock” is exaggerated nonsense for what actually happens. People would lose ~80 skill rating doing this. The suggestion that dropping 80 skill rating suddenly puts someone into seal-clubbing territory is obviously wrong.

It is hyperbole, sure, but not completely false. Going 0-3 I believe you can lose over 100 skill points, and that could conceivably put you to an area where the opponents have a difference of 3M GP. Easy matchups are the general idea of losing on purpose, after all.
  • StarSon
    7437 posts Member
    Options

Rinse and repeat.

It's one of those things, proving it. And I'm a person who hate's talking in absolutes!

"Lots of krakens never “lose” in GAC anymore."

Absolutely every player has lost legitimately several times. Kabuki and ..I forget his name but was top, but seems to have taken a break lost legit games. Everybody below them lose legit games. Claim is false.

"They take a full week off and drop like a rock."

You take a week off, you do not 'drop like a rock." Depending on your division, you might now drop at all. Claim is false.

" The next week they slaughter younglings with 3mil less GP." A. You don't face younglings (as a kraken). B. GP isn't that much of an influence on your division now. Again claim is false.

"Rinse and repeat" Proof of krakens actually doing this, as an effective method? I don't believe there is any. So again claim is false.

It's very easy to make rubbish claims. It takes more times to counter the points. This is annoying, but I'll go further.

"There are all kinds of 11 million accounts outside the top 1000 doing this" Please provide proof of this. Without it, again the claim is false.

"My evidence is being matched up against them (at 8.2 million) and seeing their GAC history of skipping weeks."

1. 8.2 million accounts started in K1 right? Dropping like a stone is clearly False.

2. Dropping like a stone and facing 'younglings' (8.2 million) again is clearly False.

I'd expect players that take a week off to play such matches. However:

1. Krakens never lose X
    2. Drop like a rock X
    3. Face younglings X

All are categorically incorrect.

I appreciate the breakdown. However he didn't say "all krakens never lose" or that the "lots" of krakens he is talking about never lose on accident. He just said that lots of krakens are losing on purpose to get better matches. As I said in response to Darjelo, it's clearly a lot of hyperbole, but not categorically false.
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    Options

Rinse and repeat.

Rinse and repeat.

It is hyperbole, sure, but not completely false. Going 0-3 I believe you can lose over 100 skill points, and that could conceivably put you to an area where the opponents have a difference of 3M GP. Easy matchups are the general idea of losing on purpose, after all.

I already lost 0-3 and lost about 110 SP (K2/K1). My next week opponents had roughly the same GP (around 8M).
  • PumaK
    301 posts Member
    Options

Rinse and repeat.

Seems like the .gg page it's useful to a lot of things and how people like you say there's no evidence about, because forgot the page exists, obviously When your interest only it's to defend a system that always people with big accounts try to exploit on own benefit.