[MEGATHREAD] Road Ahead: June 2022 - Datacrons

Replies

• Ahh... I see. Fair enough.

I do object to equating GAC to an elaborate RPS. It's elaborate enough, imo, that the comparison is wrong. Although we may not be in the same part of the ladder. For me, since I see accounts ranging from 8.5-11.5 M, I get to see a lot of variety. So the puzzle hadn't been "solved" yet. But maybe that is not the case elsewhere in the ladder. I have to keep that in mind.
  • Remove the GL bonusses. The rest seems quite nice.
    Not game breaking, but making fights interesting.
    Triple damage on a GL is just too much. Its not like most GLs need a buff. Actually those that do need one did not get one.

Glad we had 2 good TWs.
    People here have given up on the thought that we will get a competitive TW anytime soon.
    Every aspect of P2W limits competivity.
    If the GL datacrons are not widely accessible for all F2P in the 8m+ range in the same amount, then you will see a mass extinction of players there.
  • Lumiya
    1435 posts Member
    I think in general, Datacrons might be interesting for the top of the top players, who already have a lot or almost everything to shake things up an make them/the fights more interesting.
    I think I also wouldn't even mind if smaller players wouldn't be potentially matched with them.
    Just as it is now with everyone matched with everyone while the better things are gated behind GP (and roster size and relics) makes it seem absolutely unbalanced and unfair.
    I just don't really look forward to have even less of a chance against a bigger player and their better or more advanced Datacrons so they can stomp on me even more.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Re5pect
    2 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    1. Will datacrons lock like mods when joining GA?
    2. During GA setup phase will we be able to see which datacrons our enemy has available?
    3. If yes to question 1 and 2: will we be seeing the live version or the locked (please, please, please) version of the datacrons?
    Post edited by Re5pect on
  • Looooki
    1045 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    Looooki wrote: »
    Starslayer wrote: »
    Really, so what is the positive about this?

Shaking up the meta every month to make every GAC unique and avoid boredom.

Well, I hope ur excited when meta team that u invested heavily gets beaten by a lesser team due to trashacon

If you use a lesser team with datacrons on a meta team what would you do on a lesser team with datacrons or the second meta team with datacrons on defense?

I dunno, ur the theory crafter. U tell me
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator

Well, I hope ur excited when meta team that u invested heavily gets beaten by a lesser team due to trashacon

If you use a lesser team with datacrons on a meta team what would you do on a lesser team with datacrons or the second meta team with datacrons on defense?

you lose
  • Looooki
    1045 posts Member

you lose

Why not u win?
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    I understand the goal of the datacrons to make the meta more dynamic and allow theory crafting to flourish. But datacron in the first place sounds to be another cash sink and a feature, which will give people a big competitive edge if they are willing to pay on short notice (either for re-roll to get the best stats or for meeting the steep relic requirements).

So far, it is possible for F2P players to hold your ground in GAC. In fact, there are plenty of F2P players competing within 1000 ranking of Kyber 1. It's possible as long as you play smart, have good mods and have invested in key characters. All those things are achievable F2P as long as you play this game long enough. In fact, this game is out long enough for F2P players to acquire all GLs + SK without spending a cent.

But with datacron, CG has introduced a paywall to quickly adapt to the meta shift. My concern is there will be not enough runway for F2P players to keep pace with the temporary change of meta.
  • CG: These are the updates you're looking for.
    Players: These are the updates we're looking for.
    CG: You can go about our business.
    Players: We can go about their business.
    CG: Move along.
    Players: Move along! Move along!
    This is the Way
  • Are we gonna have 2 conquests in a row now? Or will the 3rd Malgus'conquest be the last 2 weeks of July? Just want to know when will I unlock Malgus
  • PumaK
    301 posts Member
    Another day passed @CG_SBCrumb @CG_Tusken_Meathead and not a single answer not only about this, also nothing about the promised but also unapplied gear economy changes
  • twstdbydsn
    1101 posts Member
    I think Datacrons would be ok if they weren't R3 and above and made for everyone all at once. But more in the way that if you start on a squad that is all you can use it on for the month. So Maybe I want to Boost my R1 or PHX or Tuskens to surprise my opponent and not just the ones you deem worthy. It would make TW and GAC at least a little bit more interesting.
    But in all honesty, you better give back over 50% of the materials at the end because any less than that is a kick in the pants. And you definitely need to up the gear economy if you expect this to take hold. You could easily have us get 25 pieces of each gear in the Daily Challenges and it would barely make a dent. Why do I get 17 for some and 20-25 for others. Yes, RNG, I know but at this point does it matter if you keep adding new ways to make us grind?
    Grinding is inevitable and I accept that, I don't want everything instantaneously but you need to open the gates a little and not just expect us to open our wallets. I'd spend more if you actually pretended to care what the players want and not just force new ideas down our throats.

Here's a simple example: Quests. you added them ages ago with crazy requirements for some, but then never alleviated them for say stupid things like take first in HAAT, now that it's on sim, it is a slow burn waiting to hopefully have RNG work in our favor. Sure I can ask my guild to set it manual, and hope I get it, or just look in your data and see I did get first at least one way back when and have it automatically apply. If you do little things like that A LOT of us would not be on your butts about new things being implemented. I really don't mind grinding out things but it's getting ridiculous.

Heck you could double ALL gear rewards on hard and easy nodes and it would probably barely help us with all the new stuff being added.
  • BK12
    1 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    I’ve played SWGOH daily since the game launched in 2015. This is the first time I’ve commented on an update. I saw an earlier post saying the developers don’t listen to this feedback…hope that’s not the case because this update sounds awful.

I have a solid roster (9.2 million GP) all the GLs and 169 toons at R5 or higher. I enjoy this game but if this update ends up being as terrible as it sounds I’ll give it up. I read somewhere there’s like 100 million plus players on this game so I totally get my leaving won’t matter. It’s more about not wanting to have to grind or keep track of another thing. The game will stop being relaxing or fun. I have no context to know how what I’ve spent on this game compares with other non FTP players. But I imagine there’s a lot of long term and newer players that feel the same way I do.
  • I read somewhere there’s like 100 million plus players on this game so I totally get my leaving won’t matter.
    The game has been downloaded many, many times, but people who play daily for a year or more? I doubt it's more than 200k, and it could easily be less.

So, yes, I think it matters more than one would think from the number of downloads.
  • Looooki
    1045 posts Member
    akixmyovj6zt.jpg
  • Looooki
    1045 posts Member
    Still no response from CG. Not surprised at all for this "response"
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    I read somewhere there’s like 100 million plus players on this game so I totally get my leaving won’t matter.
    The game has been downloaded many, many times, but people who play daily for a year or more? I doubt it's more than 200k, and it could easily be less.

So, yes, I think it matters more than one would think from the number of downloads.

Not sure about people playing that long, but the daily active users hovers around 450k.
  • Have all the possible teams and datacron abilities combinations been thoroughly tested from a game balance perspective? I’d hate to see gamebreaking mechanics be introduced in an unintended way. We don’t want a new Darth Vader & Wat incident.
  • twstdbydsn
    1101 posts Member
    Have all the possible teams and datacron abilities combinations been thoroughly tested from a game balance perspective? I’d hate to see gamebreaking mechanics be introduced in an unintended way. We don’t want a new Darth Vader & Wat incident.

We'll find out when we test it, right?
  • Have all the possible teams and datacron abilities combinations been thoroughly tested from a game balance perspective?

Hahahahaha :D
    That's a good one!

Have you heard the one about the company that ignores the feedback of its customers and doesn't fulfill it's promises?
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    Have all the possible teams and datacron abilities combinations been thoroughly tested from a game balance perspective? I’d hate to see gamebreaking mechanics be introduced in an unintended way. We don’t want a new Darth Vader & Wat incident.

According to the interview Crumb did with Hynesy, this is part of the point of making them temporary. If they make something that turns out to be OP, they don't have to nerf anything, just wait for it to live out the cycle and dismantle.
  • crzydroid wrote: »

According to the interview Crumb did with Hynesy, this is part of the point of making them temporary. If they make something that turns out to be OP, they don't have to nerf anything, just wait for it to live out the cycle and dismantle.

This is far more concerning than reassuring.
  • crzydroid wrote: »

Any time CG uses the term "interesting intersection" we know things about to get real.
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    crzydroid wrote: »

This is far more concerning than reassuring.

I think from a viewpoint of an OP datacron that people generally like, they don't have to have a situation like the Defense Penetration nerf, which is what Crumb specifically brought up. They're aware players hate that kind of nerf and don't like doing it.

There'll likely be two sides to every OP datacron. There are probably people who hated their Rey getting beaten by Vader and Wat. Look at the reaction of LV owners who hate the Fennec counter.
  • Kylen
    67 posts Member
    Is this really happening? Looks like I'm quitting then.
  • Kylen
    67 posts Member
    Seriously, all this complexity and effort for a temporary bonus? (that you will absolutely need to have in order to compete!) This is a really terrible move.
  • CG never had to nerf Wat and DV. It was not hard to make a Rey team hard for DV to beat. In fact, it employed a lot of tactics similar to how we make Rey hard for SK to beat, go figure. But I don't want to derail this thread to discuss CG's ulterior motives to the 2021 nerfs.

Back on topic, CG doesn't have to do datacrons to maintain balance.

The saddest part of this, to me, is that CG actually was doing a pretty good job since GAC 2.0 at keeping GAC interesting. Omicrons and new toons that revitalized old factions were great! But that requires ongoing work on their part, and this will not, so this has a higher profit margin. :'(
  • PumaK wrote: »

"What’s Next For Phase 1
    While this week’s Title Update starts the process of the Gear Changes, we still have many more adjustments to come. In Phase 1 we still have changes to hard node Gear drop rates, Territory Battle reward flattening, and adding in a new dedicated slot in the Shard Shop that only provides Core Gear. Once those are complete, we will begin speaking to what Phase 2 encompasses in the near future."
    - CG, October 26, 2021.
    "Fixed the vulture droid." - CG, a few months ago.
    "Give them datacrons instead of things we promised." - someone at CG, last week.
  • So how does one actually get a datacron?
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    So how does one actually get a datacron?

Conquest, TW, Calendars, Shipments.