Kenobi - S1E5 (Spoilers)

Replies

• LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    People just need to accept Disney doesn’t care about SW making sense.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • flux_rono
    2112 posts Member
    Magruffin wrote: »
    Regarding leia remembering him or not; maybe she gets a partial memory wipe/force mind wipe? Total spitball theory, and I have no clue what the force is able to do or not in the extended universe

I think she will remember him. in EP4 she knows where to send the data, and if I recall addresses him by proper name. i imagine at the end Ben and Bail will instruct her very strictly to not contact him or mention him unless its a dire situation.

and the dire situation comes in at ep 4, where they get captured near Tatooine, and he would be the only one she would know and trust nearby
  • Telekinetic powers with lasers swords and we want to focus on someone's name or nickname??

You do you, I will just enjoy the new content of STAR WARS on my Tv..
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    flux_rono wrote: »
    Magruffin wrote: »
    Regarding leia remembering him or not; maybe she gets a partial memory wipe/force mind wipe? Total spitball theory, and I have no clue what the force is able to do or not in the extended universe

I think she will remember him. in EP4 she knows where to send the data, and if I recall addresses him by proper name. i imagine at the end Ben and Bail will instruct her very strictly to not contact him or mention him unless its a dire situation.

and the dire situation comes in at ep 4, where they get captured near Tatooine, and he would be the only one she would know and trust nearby

Again, that doesnt address the fact that her message is all about obi wan kenobi helping her dad in the clone wars.... nothing about the more recent help he gave to her or bale.

It makes no sense that she wouldnt mention that time the guy shes asking for help from came and helped her personally.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Vader pulling the fleet and tearing it apart was cool
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Vader pulling the fleet and tearing it apart was cool

It was the highlight of an ok (ie better than most of the others) episode - albeit still a bit formulaic rebel base under siege one. I think it would have made a halfway decent 3rd part of a 4 part series. It still all feels a bit redundant & padded. The ship scene showed what we rarely get to see in the films - Vader in his pomp being terrifying & unstoppable (maybe only in Rogue One did we get a glimpse). I really regret that they’ve chosen to complicate the story with the inquisitors - it would have been better more stripped down to a inyo story of Vader/Kenobi light & shade.
  • I am with Shaggy on the Leia-Kenobi part. I hate it when they contradict previously established elements of the lore instead of expanding it. They might yet fix it, might being the operative word.

About E05:

What I liked in this episode is that IF this was the last encounter between Kenobi and Vader than the New Hope line "i was but a learner when I left you" could be interpret as this episode without creating a full on contradiction and I personally would say it is **** clever. Willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Kenobi and Vader cannot meet many more times, but if this was the very last then i am sold on it.

I also really liked the "unstoppable Vader" theme even if it kinda ridicules him as a leader. I still liked it nonetheless.

Cons:
    This digital de-aging is still in very-very-very tiny baby shoes. I didnt like it. I dont think it was particularly well executed either, but maybe that's a technological limitation.

I have ZERO sympathy for Reva. Her "deathscene" reminded me of that of king joffrey. I also think the role is way to challenging for the actress. I consider her play as bad acting. This, and the not particularly interesting story of the inquisitors makes me not care about her. Which is problematic to be honest. Do you guys root for her in ANY way?

FFS stop reviving ppl... Not cool man.

Red droid BAD, blue droid GOOD was way too primitive for my likings.

Overall I rate this episode 7/10

• I would’ve loved the Anakin/Obi-Wan flashback scenes if they were in a training room with other Jedi. I would imagine the other Jedi in the room would geek out and have a “Morpheus is fightin’ Neo!” type of moment during their spar. 😂
  • I don't think there is any technical limitation on the de-aging process. After the Mandalorian finale, there were videos of deepfaked Luke face that looked a lot better than the one they did in the show. They could have deepfaked a younger Anakin's face if they wanted to.
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    I liked it. Fun action, tying up some loose ends and seeing Vader go full beast mode ripping apart a ship after pulling it out of the sky was really awesome. Plus him just handing Reva a lightsaber to fight her after using the force to block every attack she had to that point was just “ooof….Vader has ZERO chill” haha. Hopefully the finale has some big wows.
  • Screerider
    1343 posts Member
    Leia's message in R2 could be explained as her being cagey in case it's intercepted. She is pretty excited later on the Death Star when she hears that Obi-Wan is with Luke and Han.
  • That was epic
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Screerider wrote: »
    Leia's message in R2 could be explained as her being cagey in case it's intercepted. She is pretty excited later on the Death Star when she hears that Obi-Wan is with Luke and Han.

Why wouldn’t she call him Ben in the message then?
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • flux_rono
    2112 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »

my guess is to again be slightly discrete and show that they never "talked" before now. instead of saying "Hey Ben its been a long time since I last saw you but my father needs you again ..." .
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited June 2022

Cagey? So she gives up that the droid knows where kenobi is on the recording, that bale needs his help and that he needs to get the plans to the alderaan so bale can get them to rebel leadership.... what was she protecting?

Saying he rescued her when she was younger wouldnt have given away any more than what she already did and vader already knows he rescued her. He knows kenobi probably isnt dead yet.

Here is what she took the time to say,
    General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to convey my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack, and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

And heres the small tweak that acknowledges their past,
    General Kenobi. Years ago you aided my father by rescuing me from the Empire. Now we need you to help us in our continued struggle. I regret that I am unable to convey this request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack, and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

Small change, but acknowledges the most recent time kenobi helped bale and his family
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    flux_rono wrote: »
    LordDirt wrote: »

my guess is to again be slightly discrete and show that they never "talked" before now. instead of saying "Hey Ben its been a long time since I last saw you but my father needs you again ..." .

That doesnt work because her current message basically says "hey obi wan... my fathers says sup. He needs your help again. Daddy B said you were super l33t in tha clone war drama. Can you check yes to attending the rebellion party on Alderaan... your plus one should be this dope droid with the data in it."
  • I swear y'all worry about the wrong **** lol. It was a great episode. The Vader/Reva fight scene was epic as well as the flashbacks.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    I swear y'all worry about the wrong **** lol. It was a great episode. The Vader/Reva fight scene was epic as well as the flashbacks.

Define wrong.

I enjoyed the episode just fine.

It just has one episode left to handle making it actually fit into the established timeline.

Currently its heading in a way of making more issues with fitting in than resolving what its done.

I dont want to watch the last epsiode and think wow this series was great but breaks established New Hope continuity
  • twstdbydsn
    1101 posts Member
    Last episode is supposedly an hour and a half long. Can't wait!
  • Screerider
    1343 posts Member
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    Small change, but acknowledges the most recent time kenobi helped bale and his family
    While I appreciate your thoughts on how to edit a movie from the 70's, it isn't necessary to resolve the supposed "plot hole".
  • Too much padding - this could’ve just been a 2 hr movie. Surprised by the young actor portraying young Leia. Besides the embarrassing chase in the first ep, she slips right into what Ms. Fisher started back in 77. Reva is boring me - we’ve seen this character development before. They should just redo the sequel trilogy according to what Lucas wanted; make it mean something. Don’t want to sound all negative but a lot of this is what we already expect. Tala force- slapping the stormtrooper in ep 4 was hilarious!

Please let Andor be amazing!
  • Sithlords_Inc
    384 posts Member
    edited June 2022

To me it feels like most of these Disney SW shows (Rebels and Mando S1 not included) easily could be condensed to 2-3 (in rare cases 4) episodes, but then they throw in some generic rescue or resupplying episodes just to drag out the content. Feel like Bad Batch and Mando S2 especially suffered from this.
  • AlexanderG
    1927 posts Member
    LastJedi13 wrote: »
    Great episode but they should of had Vader and GI finish off Reva.

Yeah that is the only major issue I had with this episode. In the same vein, also why does Vader keep letting Obi Wan run off?

Because (as this episode tried to underline) he's over confident and blind to alternative scenarios. He doesn't keep letting Obi-Wan go, he just doesn't realise there's a will other than his own. Take the retro fight, time and time again he's sure he's got Kenobi where he wants him. He's just too dumb to realise that's not the case.
  • At least it solved the Grand Inquisitor mystery. Granted it created a new one, since Vader never knew about Leia or Luke and now Reva knows to look for a guy named Owen on Tatooine so she'll know they're related. I feel like they could have left that alone, but I doubt Vader would let Reva back in so is she going to track them down herself? For what purpose?
  • AlexanderG wrote: »

Yeah that is the only major issue I had with this episode. In the same vein, also why does Vader keep letting Obi Wan run off?

Because (as this episode tried to underline) he's over confident and blind to alternative scenarios. He doesn't keep letting Obi-Wan go, he just doesn't realise there's a will other than his own. Take the retro fight, time and time again he's sure he's got Kenobi where he wants him. He's just too dumb to realise that's not the case.

So basically the plot keeps Vader from doing what he wants.

Well, I suppose that's irrefutably true. But I think both this mini series and A New Hope show that Anakin / Vader overestimates himself and underestimates Kenobi.

Put simply, Obi-Wan might be less powerful but he's far more intelligent.
    AlexanderG wrote: »

Well, I suppose that's irrefutably true. But I think both this mini series and A New Hope show that Anakin / Vader overestimates himself and underestimates Kenobi.

Well I wont argue about his escape in the latest episode, but Im not sure how Kenobis escape in the third episode was a result of Kenobi's intelligence or Vader's overconfidence. Its especially jarring seeing him let Kenobi get slowly dragged away 5 meters from him when he can pull down a spaceship.
  • AlexanderG
    1927 posts Member

Well I wont argue about his escape in the latest episode, but Im not sure how Kenobis escape in the third episode was a result of Kenobi's intelligence or Vader's overconfidence. Its especially jarring seeing him let Kenobi get slowly dragged away 5 meters from him when he can pull down a spaceship.

That was daft. I'm not going to try and suggest otherwise.
  • AlexanderG
    1927 posts Member
    Oh and Tala's character was good in this. Shame she's now out of it.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    While I appreciate your thoughts on how to edit a movie from the 70's, it isn't necessary to resolve the supposed "plot hole".

One cant edit it.

Thats the issue, this plot line breaks a key scene in the establishing movie