What the heck is a datacron??

I’m also a 8 mil + player and have been around since a couple months after launch. With work and family life I’ve just now looked at what a “datacron” is. I still don’t know what they are. I asked my guild leader how these things work and he said there’s a bunch of data on the forums. So I told him that I’m not a coder or a computer engineer and if I have to do this much work to figure out how to play a game on my phone, I seriously need to reevaluate what I’m doing.

Replies

• AlexanderG
    1927 posts Member
    Grants temporary bonuses to a squad it's assigned to. For now it's GAC and TW.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Gives stat boost to your entire team (like mods)
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    I’m also a 8 mil + player and have been around since a couple months after launch. With work and family life I’ve just now looked at what a “datacron” is. I still don’t know what they are. I asked my guild leader how these things work and he said there’s a bunch of data on the forums. So I told him that I’m not a coder or a computer engineer and if I have to do this much work to figure out how to play a game on my phone, I seriously need to reevaluate what I’m doing.

Think of it as a mod for your entire squad with a minimum requirement of relic 3 to use.

It gives you up to 6 stat bumps, like a mod, and up to three special things. The first special thing gives a boost to anyone in the squad that has the same light/dark alignment of that special thing. The second special thing applies only to a specific faction. The third special thing applies only to one specific character and they must be relic 7 to get that effect. You can see which abilities and factions are available in the Datacron area in-game.

They use their own currency to level up, sort of like how ships and characters use different things so that working on one won’t slow you down on the other. These currencies are mostly gained from Conquest.

Every month a new set of datacrons will release with new abilities and such. There will be 3 sets active at a time, with the oldest set expiring when a new one is introduced.

That’s the gist of it. If you want to know more just ask. But that’s the basics.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Whatelse73
    2146 posts Member
    It's a temporary Omicron for you to waste materials, resources, energy, and crystals to upgrade so it can all be taken away every 3 months for you to start over again with.

Oh and you need a PhD to understand all the interactivity of its functions.

Good luck!
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    It's a temporary Omicron for you to waste materials, resources, energy, and crystals to upgrade so it can all be taken away every 3 months for you to start over again with.

Good luck!

What energy do you waste?
    What materials do you waste?
    You can buy them with crystals, but you can farm them much faster and cheaper during Conquest.
  • NicWester wrote: »

Good luck!

You can buy them with crystals, but you can farm them much faster and cheaper during Conquest.

You don't get back the "materials" you use to upgrade them, right?

Those materials are also sold in the datacron store using ally points, shard currency, and crystals.

You use conquest energy on the datacron nodes at the end of each sector to get more materials.
  • Lumiya
    1431 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »

Good luck!

What energy do waste?

Conquest energy
    Crystals
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • TargetEadu
    1513 posts Member
    Lumiya wrote: »

Good luck!

What energy do waste?

Conquest energy
    Crystals

Use the Datacron Conquest nodes to complete Feats like you normally do in Conquest.

Use Crystals for whatever you want.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member

Good luck!

What energy do waste?

Conquest energy
    Crystals
    Before this change people would use Conquest energy on old nodes to finish feats and get no reward other than feat progress. Now we use that Conquest energy on the end-of-stage datacron node, still get feat credit, and get materials. How is this a waste?

So you're spending crystals on datacrons? I'm not. No one I've talked to is. You CAN buy stuff with crystals, but it's free from the node so why use crystals?

Good luck!

Those materials are also sold in the datacron store using ally points, shard currency, and crystals.

You use conquest energy on the datacron nodes at the end of each sector to get more materials.

You don't get back the materials you use to upgrade them, but what else are you going to use those materials on? It's not a waste if you can't use them for anything except datacrons. Now, if it cost credits and used relic materials or signal data to improve you would have a point--those are things you need for permanent character growth. But these 30 million datacron dollars, or whatever they're called, can't be used on characters or mods or relics or abilities, they can ONLY be used on datacrons. So, again, how are you wasting them?

They're sold in the store for crystals and ally points, but you don't need to buy them in the slightest right now, you're getting them for free from Conquest nodes and rewards. As I said in the reply above, it's not a waste of energy to farm these during Conquest. It's an improvement over the previous waste of time and energy of rerunning nodes to complete feats for no rewards. Now you run those "win 14 battles with no attackers" fights after you've finished the board so that you're getting a reward while you do it--and at no risk of stars, mind you, so as long as you win you can lose however many allies as you need to get the feat done. This is a big improvement to Conquest.
  • Conquest datacron nodes should drop more upgrade materials. Random 1-3 pcs /win is not helping that much. You can get, what, maybe 2-4 level ups per conqueast. LoL. And they said conq is the main source for these. Datacron store with SSC once per week seems to give out more.

Datacache is needed by the millions for one DC. Nodes give 0-60k. Again, not helping.

I have done ~10 datacron battles and had none new datacrons. Sample size is nonexiatent, but seems the droprate of these is super low.

Other than that they seem interesting. Next GaC will ofc be a sircus, but I am not really expecting my opponents to have more than a couple of low level datacrons like me.

Mods where allready in game when I started, so I dont know how they rolled out, but I'm guessing majority of players couldn't mod their whole roster in first months of release.
  • Lumiya
    1431 posts Member

Good luck!

What energy do waste?

Conquest energy
    Crystals
    Before this change people would use Conquest energy on old nodes to finish feats and get no reward other than feat progress. Now we use that Conquest energy on the end-of-stage datacron node, still get feat credit, and get materials. How is this a waste?

So you're spending crystals on datacrons? I'm not. No one I've talked to is. You CAN buy stuff with crystals, but it's free from the node so why use crystals?

Good luck!

You don't get back the materials you use to upgrade them, but what else are you going to use those materials on? It's not a waste if you can't use them for anything except datacrons. Now, if it cost credits and used relic materials or signal data to improve you would have a point--those are things you need for permanent character growth. But these 30 million datacron dollars, or whatever they're called, can't be used on characters or mods or relics or abilities, they can ONLY be used on datacrons. So, again, how are you wasting them?

They're sold in the store for crystals and ally points, but you don't need to buy them in the slightest right now, you're getting them for free from Conquest nodes and rewards. As I said in the reply above, it's not a waste of energy to farm these during Conquest. It's an improvement over the previous waste of time and energy of rerunning nodes to complete feats for no rewards. Now you run those "win 14 battles with no attackers" fights after you've finished the board so that you're getting a reward while you do it--and at no risk of stars, mind you, so as long as you win you can lose however many allies as you need to get the feat done. This is a big improvement to Conquest.

I don't waste my crystals for them because I am not interested in spending even 1 crystal just to get something subpar. The better Datacrons and higher materials are gated in hard mode so there is absolutely no incentive for me.

My comment was a general comment and not about myself specifically. If people do not think it interferes with their resources, like you, or if people think they do, like others, is a matter of perspective. Even if I would play hard mode I would think it does interfere. So let's agree to disagree ✌🏻
  • Whatelse73
    2146 posts Member
    Yes we know we don't HAVE TO spend crystals, resources, energy, etc. on ANYTHING in the game. We don't even have to play it it's so free! We know, it's a game of resources and choices.

If you want to remain competitive in GAC and TW, you NEED to "waste" resources on these temporary omicrons because if you don't and face someone who has, you will lose, especially with the absurdity of putting datacrons on GL's. If you keep losing in GAC and TW, you get less resources, less crystals, etc., to use in the future.

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Yes we know we don't HAVE TO spend crystals, resources, energy, etc. on ANYTHING in the game. We don't even have to play it it's so free! We know, it's a game of resources and choices.

If you want to remain competitive in GAC and TW, you NEED to "waste" resources on these temporary omicrons because if you don't and face someone who has, you will lose, especially with the absurdity of putting datacrons on GL's. If you keep losing in GAC and TW, you get less resources, less crystals, etc., to use in the future.

And then what?

So you lose a few battles until you find other players who have also lost a few battles and you play against them instead. So what?
  • Whatelse73
    2146 posts Member

And then what?

So you lose a few battles until you find other players who have also lost a few battles and you play against them instead. So what?

This is why over 95% of players don't come to the boards. "I don't like / I am concerned about X" Response = So what? It's just a game! Be apathetic, just like me! (Yes, it's also, learn to play bro, it's ez!)

While you might not care about how the game performs like many of us, you do seem to care about posting to the forums.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited June 2022

And then what?

This is why over 95% of players don't come to the boards. "I don't like / I am concerned about X" Response = So what? It's just a game! Be apathetic, just like me! (Yes, it's also, learn to play bro, it's ez!)

While you might not care about how the game performs like many of us, you do seem to care about posting to the forums.

You misunderstand my question. It’s a real question, not me dismissing you. I’m not saying your concerns aren’t valid, I’m genuinely asking you what the next step in your reason is.

You think daracrons are bad because you’ll lose to people who farm them. That’s a real and valid concern. So what happens when you lose? You sink down in the standings until you reach a level with other people who have an attitude towards datacrons similar to yours.

So what’s the big deal about losing?

If it’s your job, sure, be concerned about changes because that’s your real life. If you’re a professional athlete, be concerned about losing because that’s your real life. But this? Put it into proper perspective. If you lose a GAC, you get matched up with people you’re likely to win against and it all balances out.

Keep the game in perspective is all.
  • Whatelse73
    2146 posts Member

And then what?

You misunderstand my question. It’s a real question, not me dismissing you. I’m not saying your concerns aren’t valid, I’m genuinely asking you what the next step in your reason is.

You think daracrons are bad because you’ll lose to people who farm them. That’s a real and valid concern. So what happens when you lose? You sink down in the standings until you reach a level with other people who have an attitude towards datacrons similar to yours.

So what’s the big deal about losing?

If it’s your job, sure, be concerned about changes because that’s your real life. If you’re a professional athlete, be concerned about losing because that’s your real life. But this? Put it into proper perspective. If you lose a GAC, you get matched up with people you’re likely to win against and it all balances out.

Keep the game in perspective is all.

and you misunderstand what I said. Why bother posting here 8000 times telling everyone "it's all good bro!" if you don't care about the game? Everyone has their reasons for being here and caring about particular aspects. It's not a national crisis if a player falls from Kyber 2 to Kyber 3, but that doesn't mean we can't be upset when CG goes overboard.

Why bother relic'ing anyone in your roster? why bother building your characters? what's the big deal? Just because you are apathetic to any concerns that players have about the game doesn't mean their concerns aren't valid. If someone else wants to be competitive and stay in Kyber 1, that's their business, not yours. The concerns they have with staying there are just as valid as your apathy.

I'm not a top 100 player, but I've stayed in Kyber 1 since the restructuring. Some battles are tougher than others, but this brings a whole new level of complexity that is too complex (and the stat/ability buffs are outrageous). CG decided to copy MSF's ISO system, but went excessive on the complexity and resources required.

At that, I don't want to have to spend 4-6 hours a day in the game so I can maintain Kyber 1. Conquest is a pain as well because it requires repetitiveness to excess. (As if CG purposely made it more repetitive and time consuming so players would lose motivation to get max rewards, since they don't like giving players resources "easily".) And I'm getting the red crate again because I want to unlock Malgus. (Looks like Grand Inquisitor is going to be another disappointment like DB Fett.)
  • Lumiya
    1431 posts Member

CG decided to copy MSF's ISO system, but went excessive on the complexity and resources required.
    Because one of the Devs from MSF changed over to CG and already brought with him the battlepass system for Conquest and other things. Hard to guess that Datacrons were also his idea.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    If I didn't care about the game, why have I been playing the last 5 years? Why am I browsing the forum at 6:48 in the morning? What makes you think I'm apathetic and don't care just because I don't think every change is going to kill the game and tell people they're catastrophizing?

I feel like you're projecting a little here.
  • Ryche
    151 posts Member
    after you use your datacron, is it gone until you get another or are you able to use it again in ?
  • AlexanderG
    1927 posts Member
    Ryche wrote: »
    after you use your datacron, is it gone until you get another or are you able to use it again in ?

We are currently in an exhibition phase. After that I believe each datacron lasts for 3 months.
  • Whatelse73
    2146 posts Member

Every three months, everything datacron related resets. So all the crystals you spend on datacrons are spent and gone, all the datacrons you built, are gone, all the resources you might horde up, are gone. The next datacron window starts and everyone's back to zero everything and you begin to build again.
  • *some/most of the resources spent on datacrons are gone. not all
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Whatelse73 wrote: »

Every three months, everything datacron related resets. So all the crystals you spend on datacrons are spent and gone, all the datacrons you built, are gone, all the resources you might horde up, are gone. The next datacron window starts and everyone's back to zero everything and you begin to build again.

No. There will be three active sets, and each set will expire on a staggered schedule. You'll never have them all expire at the same time and start over completely - it will happen one set at a time, on an established (but TBD) interval.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Whatelse73 wrote: »

No. There will be three active sets, and each set will expire on a staggered schedule. You'll never have them all expire at the same time and start over completely - it will happen one set at a time, on an established (but TBD) interval.

Okay, so we work on them, put resources into them, build them up, and they don't all disappear right away, but they do eventually right? So they are still temporary omicrons, just a little longer for some.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member

Okay, so we work on them, put resources into them, build them up, and they don't all disappear right away, but they do eventually right? So they are still temporary omicrons, just a little longer for some.

And if they cost omicrons to level up you would have a point, since you can also use omicrons on omicron abilities. But these cost currency and materials that can’t be used for anything else.

You keep saying it’s a temporary omicron, but I don’t think you know what those words mean.

And if they cost omicrons to level up you would have a point, since you can also use omicrons on omicron abilities. But these cost currency and materials that can’t be used for anything else.

You keep saying it’s a temporary omicron, but I don’t think you know what those words mean.

Sounds like you're projecting to me.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member

I am, because it’s the only explanation for why you keep saying it. There’s no opportunity cost to leveling up datacrons. You can’t even horde the materials because they don’t carry over from set to set, so you may as well use them before you lose them or you’re only cutting off your nose to spite your face.

They’re far from perfect, post your feedback in the QA thread or the feedback subforum. But repeating the same thing over and over and refusing to engage with the thing isn’t helping you or anyone. Will they listen to feedback? Maybe, maybe not. But you’re creating a self-fulfilling prophecy by refusing to engage.

I am, because it’s the only explanation for why you keep saying it. There’s no opportunity cost to leveling up datacrons. You can’t even horde the materials because they don’t carry over from set to set, so you may as well use them before you lose them or you’re only cutting off your nose to spite your face.

They’re far from perfect, post your feedback in the QA thread or the feedback subforum. But repeating the same thing over and over and refusing to engage with the thing isn’t helping you or anyone. Will they listen to feedback? Maybe, maybe not. But you’re creating a self-fulfilling prophecy by refusing to engage.

You don't understand what I'm saying. If we got plenty of materials just for doing normal stuff, fine. If they weren't available for crystals, ally points, shard store currency, fine. But they are available for those. (All of which you can't use to buy omicron pieces)

They are temporary omicrons as in they give boosts to particular teams, but only for a limited time. Once I have 20 pieces of O-salvage, I can put that on a character and it's there forever. I don't lose it in three months. Because it's a permanent buff. Datacrons go bye bye. Yes, you can "just" farm the materials using conquest energy, but how much is that really going to be if you want to max the red crate and not burn crystals for more energy? (Though you pretty much have to burn crystals, even if you buy that rip off 30 dollar booster pass) Is anyone going to get even one level 9 datacron just doing the minimum farming from conquest to complete feats and not spend crystals or money?

I'm posting this here because they are concerns and they are VALID concerns. If I'm repeating myself, then you're repeating yourself. Your response is "oh hey guys, it's all good! Just have fun, no issues here, everything is wonderful!" That's even to players who are saying, "these are the reasons why this is rubbish" and providing specific details of it.

Oh and I'll post where I want to. Once you become a moderator you can move my posts / comments, but this is a legitimate thread to discuss datacrons, what the heck they are, and why they are. (Just as much as it's legit for you to try to tell us we're overreacting and give peace a chance.) It's not a self-fulfilling prophecy to refuse to engage with another commenter on these forums if I don't want to. I'm stating my concerns and I will continue to do so because I am able to. I might be harsh with some of the aspects of the game, but that's directed at the decision makers in CG who probably don't even play the game and just look at analytics and data to figure out the highest dollar amount possible without realizing people are playing this game, not ATM machines. I wouldn't keep playing the game if I didn't enjoy it for the most part. (I quit MSF a year ago because it was becoming an out of control mess and not fun. CG seems to be applying some of the more disconcerting messes from MSF though.)