Kenobi - Finale (Spoilers)

Replies

• So the Inquisitors just vanished after this with no explanation of what happened to them or Reiba??
  • Liked it..

Epic fight..

Nice touch with QGJ at the end.. and made us wait for it and it paid off.

And that's why Leia says "May the Force be with You"

Episode 1, We see Obi-Wan lost, adrift, only purpose is to be holding on to protect the Boy.

Final shot, Obi-Wan has started his journey, again leaning from his old Master...
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Ltswb1 wrote: »

Space travel in Ep4 took days to travel between planets. Now getting to your ship, leaving orbit, escaping the gravity well, traveling through hyperspace, entering orbit, decelerating through the atmosphere and landing takes roughly 10-15 minutes. It takes me longer to get to the grocery store than it takes them to change planets. It’s gotten ridiculous.

In ANH Han comes out of the cockpit to say that they've outran the Imperials, sits down to watch Luke train with the lightsaber, and then 5 minutes later says they're coming up on Alderaan. Doesn't really seem like it took days to me, unless Han spent days in that cockpit not interacting with Luke and Ben

To be fair its longer than that... or why leave the cockpit... and chewy vs r2 in galactic chess had to be a longer game than 5 minutes.

I mean let the wookie win and all that but the gsme looked like it had been going for a while
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    edited June 2022
    Had no issues with any part of the episode

I liked the episode picking off where the ship didn't run away to safety and the star destroyer is chasing them

Cool battle

Nice to see Obi-Wan didn't make it in time before Reva tried killing Luke (but chose not to)

I knew they were going to show that Obi-Wan is able to talk to Qui-Gon at the end of the series, it was still nice
  • ShaggyB wrote: »

Space travel in Ep4 took days to travel between planets. Now getting to your ship, leaving orbit, escaping the gravity well, traveling through hyperspace, entering orbit, decelerating through the atmosphere and landing takes roughly 10-15 minutes. It takes me longer to get to the grocery store than it takes them to change planets. It’s gotten ridiculous.

In ANH Han comes out of the cockpit to say that they've outran the Imperials, sits down to watch Luke train with the lightsaber, and then 5 minutes later says they're coming up on Alderaan. Doesn't really seem like it took days to me, unless Han spent days in that cockpit not interacting with Luke and Ben

To be fair its longer than that... or why leave the cockpit... and chewy vs r2 in galactic chess had to be a longer game than 5 minutes.

I mean let the wookie win and all that but the gsme looked like it had been going for a while

Sure, but even then that’s only a few hours. The way I see it is that after they jumped to hyperspace everyone else left to go hang out in the hold while Han stayed in the cockpit for a while to do whatever it is that pilots do. Maybe some repairs or diagnostics for a few hours. Based on what was seen in the movie I don’t find it believable that they were travelling for even a whole day, let alone several days
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    ShaggyB wrote: »

Sure, but even then that’s only a few hours. The way I see it is that after they jumped to hyperspace everyone else left to go hang out in the hold while Han stayed in the cockpit for a while to do whatever it is that pilots do. Maybe some repairs or diagnostics for a few hours. Based on what was seen in the movie I don’t find it believable that they were travelling for even a whole day, let alone several days

Oh i agree.... but its not 5 minutes either.
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    They spent enough cumulative time in hyperspace for Obi Wan to bring out Luke’s fundamental force abilities. And to forge a bond between the two of them. I think it’s more than implied that they spent a significant amount of time traveling between worlds. Maybe not days per jump, but it definitely took more than a couple hours.
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    So the Inquisitors just vanished after this with no explanation of what happened to them or Reiba??

The inquisitors appear in Rebels, which happens after this show. And some, if not all die in that show.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    So the Inquisitors just vanished after this with no explanation of what happened to them or Reiba??

The inquisitors appear in Rebels, which happens after this show. And some, if not all die in that show.

Vader killed a few before they moved to the base you saw too...

So my guess would be in the 9 years between this show ANH, vader disbands the rest personally
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    zatho wrote: »
    C. how is she even moving with a hole in her gut
    it's just a hole. Maul surived far worse

Yet Qui Gon didnt

This was touched on. Anger and hate drove them to survive. Reva, maul, heck even look at Darth Sion in lore. QGJ had no hatred or anger thus didn’t have that power to survive such a mortal wound.
  • ShaggyB wrote: »

Oh i agree.... but its not 5 minutes either.

Yea I didn't say the entire trip took 5 minutes, I said that specific scene took 5 minutes
    They spent enough cumulative time in hyperspace for Obi Wan to bring out Luke’s fundamental force abilities. And to forge a bond between the two of them. I think it’s more than implied that they spent a significant amount of time traveling between worlds. Maybe not days per jump, but it definitely took more than a couple hours.

So space travel didn't take days even in ANH then, glad we're in agreement now
  • Sithlords_Inc
    384 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Obi Wan leaving Vader alive is really dumb. I mean the plan in the OT was to train Luke to kill him and Palpatine. Why make that 10 times more difficult by making Luke have to not kill 1 but 2 sith Lords, one of which is also his own father which Kenobi then had to keep a secret to not have Luke become conflicted or even worse join the baddies?

The whole part of Kenobi being at rock bottom was unnecessary. It used to be a subversion of the stoic action hero trope but now its done so often its become a trope itself. It doesnt fit his character, seeing as hes supposed to be an almost perfect representation of the "no attachments" jedi from the prequel era and the fact that he shrugged off seeing his Master and love of his life die right in front of him. Not saying Anakin shouldnt haunt him, but not to the extent he lets himself go the way its portrayed, especially when his entire purpose in life is to train Luke when hes ready. It maybe could have been forgiven had it actually been executed well, but instead he just suddenly regains everything one day and the whole thing is forgotten about.
    Post edited by Sithlords_Inc on
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    I don’t think Kenobi could have killed Vader there, and maybe he knew that. Vader is very good at staying alive. They could have kept going, but who knows. Impossible to say, it is. Cuz he flew away and the Star destroyer magically disappeared, or didn’t care.

Otherwise, I liked it. It was fun, and that’s really all I was looking for. Despite his bottomless well of power, Vader can’t catch a break. The return is of The Line carried so much prequel energy that despite it being ridiculous and possibly crossing a line with canon, I loved it.
  • @FerociousPanda

In the official, approved, and canonical novelization travel from Tatooine to Alderaan does take multiple days.

There has always been way too much handwaving with these things in video formats to have people be where they needed to be at the time they needed to be there, but in this case the answer isn't making the jump take 5 minutes. In this case it's all about 2 things:

Kenobi started from the same planet as Reva/3rdSis.
    Kenobi traveled to Tatooine, with some time out for a sub-light chase and a lightsaber duel.
    Reva traveled to Tatooine with some time out for emergency first aid and commandeering an appropriate ship.
    Reva's time to get herself stabilized and grab a ship was slightly less time than Kenobi spent on the chase & duel.

To have the space travel take the appropriate amount of time, they only needed to give Kenobi the vision after he was already in space flying homeward, because whatever time it took for Kenobi to fly to Tatooine would have been approximately the same amount of time it took Reva. BUT...

...that assumes that Kenobi was seeing the present.

If Kenobi was seeing the future, then even if the journey to Tatooine took weeks, it would still all work out just fine b/c it would also take Reva weeks.

TLDR: space travel between planets took days, this was true from the beginning with the trip from Tatooine to Alderaan, some directors have been too casual with this, but this race between Reva & Kenobi isn't such a case.
  • zatho
    747 posts Member
    How do you suggest to solve the flight time issue? Showing some images how they sleep on their ship? Or a text saying "10 days later" when they land on Tatooine?
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    C. how is she even moving with a hole in her gut
    it's just a hole. Maul surived far worse

Yet Qui Gon didnt

This was touched on. Anger and hate drove them to survive. Reva, maul, heck even look at Darth Sion in lore. QGJ had no hatred or anger thus didn’t have that power to survive such a mortal wound.

No, its implied in a comment.. its not brought up or discussed that hatred keeps one from dien of a mortal wound
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    How do you suggest to solve the flight time issue? Showing some images how they sleep on their ship? Or a text saying "10 days later" when they land on Tatooine?

I think hes saying more time should pass on the destination they go to than what is shown.

The show is saying that it took obi wan the time it took 3rd sister to walk from the canyon back to owen's hut to get to tatooine.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Well ive watched it a few times... and it appears 3rd sister was never directly seen by luke.

He does see a hooded figure, he sees a red light behind him in the distance and he doesnt look back while climbing the ladder, so red light in the room.

So that just leaves Leia as the broken continuity.

She now has far too much of a personal cinnection to Kenobi to not mention it in her R2 message to him. She should be much more hurt that he dies on the deathstar.

Show acomplished a great deal of progress with making kenobi and vaders interactions and lines make sense. It even fixed return of the jedi luke and vader scene.... but it broke one of the most famous plot points in movie history.

Not to mention Vader knows his inquisitors drew kenobi out by kidnapping leia.... why would he not do that again? Why would he not investigate that connection more?

Why would Leia attempt to hide the connection in her R2 message when Vader already knows and the more critical information of rebels on alderaan, kenobi on tatooine and death star plans in R2 are called out?
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    For those discussing distance and time it takes to get from that moon near jabiim to tatooine... check the star maps below

Here is jabiim in relation to mon cala and lothal:
    cbt89lib8zaq.jpg

And here is Tatooine
    ade4hdjdfr30.jpg
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    Well ive watched it a few times... and it appears 3rd sister was never directly seen by luke.

He does see a hooded figure, he sees a red light behind him in the distance and he doesnt look back while climbing the ladder, so red light in the room.

She now has far too much of a personal cinnection to Kenobi to not mention it in her R2 message to him. She should be much more hurt that he dies on the deathstar.

Show acomplished a great deal of progress with making kenobi and vaders interactions and lines make sense. It even fixed return of the jedi luke and vader scene.... but it broke one of the most famous plot points in movie history.

Not to mention Vader knows his inquisitors drew kenobi out by kidnapping leia.... why would he not do that again? Why would he not investigate that connection more?

Why would Leia attempt to hide the connection in her R2 message when Vader already knows and the more critical information of rebels on alderaan, kenobi on tatooine and death star plans in R2 are called out?

My impression is that he may not know how Reva lured Kenobi to her. Do we have any proof that Vader knew it was Bale’s daughter that Reva was using? She hatched that plan on her own, and I don’t remember Vader being in the same room as Leia or being told it was her. I think it’s possible that he didn’t know. Not likely, but possible.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited June 2022

My impression is that he may not know how Reva lured Kenobi to her. Do we have any proof that Vader knew it was Bale’s daughter that Reva was using? She hatched that plan on her own, and I don’t remember Vader being in the same room as Leia or being told it was her. I think it’s possible that he didn’t know. Not likely, but possible.

Grand inquistor and the other inquisitors know in episode 2.

Why would Vader not know? Why would they not keep a record of who was being imprisoined in the fotress? Why would Vader not ask after the fact if he wasnt aware?

He knows kenobi broke in to save someone, would he really not know or care who they had that drew him out?

They come very close to having oalps tell him to drop it at the end... that would have helped part of the problem the show creates, but they have the means to go after the organa family and they know kenobi will show to help them.

Its logical to think they can contact him, but at the very least that hes monitoring them
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member

Why would Vader not know? Why would they not keep a record of who was being imprisoined in the fotress? Why would Vader not ask after the fact if he wasnt aware?

He know kenobi broke in to save someone, would he really not know or care who they had that drew him out?

Don’t get me wrong, I agree that logically he should know. But I think they left just enough room in the details to claim he didn’t know.
  • twstdbydsn
    1101 posts Member

OWK told her to keep things secret, so I took that as her being safe in the transmission and not being like hey old buddy!

Granted you'd think she'd be more upset when he dies in ANH.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member

He knows kenobi broke in to save someone, would he really not know or care who they had that drew him out?

Don’t get me wrong, I agree that logically he should know. But I think they left just enough room in the details to claim he didn’t know.

Doesnt hold up. The empire documents everything... its how r2 finds leia on the deathstar.

Vader knows because there is no reason for him to not know. Hes too consumed with finding kenobi to not go back and figure out how they found him in the first place.... unless palp orders him not to, which the show stopped short on doing that, he knows

Again the show wrote itself into a corner so it could show off the fortress and have the ither inquisitors belittle 3rd sister.

Had GI just showed up because 3rd sister went rogue to a random planet for no reason and discover shes found kenobi, and they never went to the fortress... then sure you could say only 3rd sister knew and it gets self contained.

But thats not what happened, inquistors show up, yell at 3rd sis for kidnapping a senators daughter. They discover it worked, and proceed to hunt him.

He gets away with the kid and they catch up to him on Mapuzo. Vader shows up and beats kenobi. He then leaves with the droid to Jabiim, but leia is recaptured by 3rd sister.

Here is the fun.... she didnt keep it secret, the others know they have the girl again. Did vader see her when they loaded the ship or ships? We dont see that scene, but how could he not know in that? He assualts 3rd sis after the jailbreak, so he clearly knows the plan is to use Leia to find out where Kenobi has run to or to draw him back in, as hes still holding 3rd sis responsible even though she delivered kenobi to him already once.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    twstdbydsn wrote: »

OWK told her to keep things secret, so I took that as her being safe in the transmission and not being like hey old buddy!

Granted you'd think she'd be more upset when he dies in ANH.

Why would she keep it secret in that case?

Shes sending a secret message to obi wan that details where kenobi is, that bale is a rebel supporter, that alderaan is basically run by what the empire views as terrorist cells, that the stollen plans are on the droid... but after giving all that secret info up, she wants to keep it secret that she knows the person shes sending the message to?

Vader knows shes a rebel, hes chasing a rebel ship that he knows has the death star plans. She just left Scarif with said plans.

What is she protecting by not asking him personally?

Kenobi's message to Leia about keeping it secret is more about telling a 10 year old not to go around yelling i know a jedi to everyone. Because kids do things like that, though Leia wouldnt do that based on how shes shown to be in the show and what happened to her... but its not a way to close the gap they created in the story
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Its not like how Luke was handled. Owen tells him tusken raiders are hitting farms and what to do if they tell him to run.

He only catches a glimpse of a hooded figure in the canyon. Could have been a tusken. She uses the force to make him fall, but he could simply think he slipped as he was hopping from spot to spot.

He sees a red glow chasing him and a red glow in the room he climbed out of... he hears a saber, but thats something that is a bit different from saber to saber and hes not seen or heard one before, so its an unknown sound to him thats different from the ANH sound anakins saber makes.

That had potential to be very bad, but they made it work.

Leia is not the same situation.
  • Jpfit262
    545 posts Member
    It felt like the first 4 episodes were building up to a midsession cliffhanger. Then episode 5, which would have been the midseason cliffhanger, was rushed through because they remembered there is only 2 episodes left. So a lot of what should have been flushed out was rushed into a big mess. Which led to episode 6 being what felt like 4 episodes smashed into 1.

I feel like there wasn’t anything to gain with the fight between Vader and kenobi because they both had to survive. The previous fight worked because he was making kenobi suffer. The only way this fight works is if LV burries kenobi under the rubble and reva comes in for revenge. Which leads to kenobi escaping. This way kenobi leaves with an ounce of hope seeing reva both attempt to help him/redeem herself.

This way also eliminates the whole Luke mess that was just too hard to believe. You have 2 non force welders that could easily be choked to death but instead she pulls her punches?
  • TargetEadu
    1513 posts Member
    One question… did 5th Brother turn on his lightsaber the whole series? At all?
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Jpfit262 wrote: »
    It felt like the first 4 episodes were building up to a midsession cliffhanger. Then episode 5, which would have been the midseason cliffhanger, was rushed through because they remembered there is only 2 episodes left. So a lot of what should have been flushed out was rushed into a big mess. Which led to episode 6 being what felt like 4 episodes smashed into 1.

I feel like there wasn’t anything to gain with the fight between Vader and kenobi because they both had to survive. The previous fight worked because he was making kenobi suffer. The only way this fight works is if LV burries kenobi under the rubble and reva comes in for revenge. Which leads to kenobi escaping. This way kenobi leaves with an ounce of hope seeing reva both attempt to help him/redeem herself.

This way also eliminates the whole Luke mess that was just too hard to believe. You have 2 non force welders that could easily be choked to death but instead she pulls her punches?

To be fair.... 3rd sister never showed force choke off, she only shows force pull and push off. Shes also hurt pretty badly, which Owen exploits at one point.

They are just meant to get in her way, not really stop her. And they do that.

The real issue with the scene is the implication it has for luke. He has to remain clueless to the force and jedi.

They did there best to have them ahnd not have luke see it.

I feel they shouldnt have had the scene. Ialso find bales message to be dumb. These things get intercepted all the time. Why send that info in that way.
  • We are going to need a new Obi-Wan character that is beyond GL

1r3ang5bj6hu.jpeg