[MEGATHREAD] Road Ahead: June 2022 - Datacrons

Replies

• Without gear changes, this feature is pretty inaccessible to me. I have one R3+ team. Different boosts could actually be fun, but not the way it is currently being implemented.
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    the bundles you sell at the shop has better crystal value compared to farming the nodes (which takes much more effort and time)

As you can use the battle nodes to do your sector/general feats, it doesn't cost anything, as you would have bought the conquest energy anyway to reach the highest crate possible.
    Once you completed your feats, you become right (if your math is correct, which I trust, because why not ?). So if, by design, the better use of your crystal is actually the less boring, which would be buying bundles instead of buying energy to do some boring fight again and again (a chore that you already did for conquest), it's actually a good thing imo.
  • WdooLr1.png
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Starslayer wrote: »
    the bundles you sell at the shop has better crystal value compared to farming the nodes (which takes much more effort and time)

As you can use the battle nodes to do your sector/general feats, it doesn't cost anything, as you would have bought the conquest energy anyway to reach the highest crate possible.
    Once you completed your feats, you become right (if your math is correct, which I trust, because why not ?). So if, by design, the better use of your crystal is actually the less boring, which would be buying bundles instead of buying energy to do some boring fight again and again (a chore that you already did for conquest), it's actually a good thing imo.

Getting red box in conquest is no issue, I'm already at 562 and not rushing to finish. Normally that would take me next to nothing (200-400 crystals maybe if I'm in a rush to get it done). So when you prioritise datacron farming, the advantegous period ends 1/3 into the event. I don't think they did the math of this comparison properly. I can't either, because I don't have enough samples, I just know how the drops look like on average spending 50*3+100*3 each day.

Anyways, elsewhere in the game cheap refills are always better than shop buying, most of these doesn't even take any effort either, since we sim. What you buy from shops are either for faster progression or rush farming. Conquest farming has all these elements combined. We are short on time (for gac/tw/expiry of the crons) and it takes effort. I think it should be made worth it compared to shop (which whales will keep clearing each refresh of it anyway for the extra hump). This is especially true for acumen mk1-2 (whereas mk3 that's needed plenty for later levels should be kept in check)
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Anyways, elsewhere in the game cheap refills are always better than shop buying, most of these doesn't even take any effort either, since we sim. What you buy from shops are either for faster progression or rush farming. Conquest farming has all these elements combined. We are short on time (for gac/tw/expiry of the crons) and it takes effort. I think it should be made worth it compared to shop (which whales will keep clearing each refresh of it anyway for the extra hump). This is especially true for acumen mk1-2 (whereas mk3 that's needed plenty for later levels should be kept in check)

I would gladly agree if those battles were simmable. But when the 'best' way is to buy with crystals instead of repeating boring battles dozens of time, I can only be glad that the game doesn't motivate me to do something not fun at all.
    If the most efficient way is using battle nodes while you finish your conquest feats and then buy some with crystals if you fancy more, I don't see the harm in that, on the contrary. Less chores, more fun.

• MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member

I would gladly agree if those battles were simmable. But when the 'best' way is to buy with crystals instead of repeating boring battles dozens of time, I can only be glad that the game doesn't motivate me to do something not fun at all.
    If the most efficient way is using battle nodes while you finish your conquest feats and then buy some with crystals if you fancy more, I don't see the harm in that, on the contrary. Less chores, more fun.

I also of course prefer less work. Currently there are no -wait more to get similar- options. Both options are very expensive (especially compared to the cost of completely ignoring it and falling 1-2 divisions for gac). If cg expects wider playerbase engagement this is no good. The few that has to be at the top will buy it anyways.
  • I’d rather CG take the bulls by the horn and put out a post acknowledging that they’ve failed to meet the expectations of the community and commit to working to fix the biggest core issues brought up by the community.
  • Yup, another two quit today.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Fieldgulls wrote: »
    Yup, another two quit today.

Its your bubble
  • Thankfully, no one in my ~400M guild has quit since DCs were released. However, there is a lot of negative sentiment, even among the more devout players among us in our first GAC stream since DCs were released.

But the spenders are still spending, so CG probably sees this as a colossal success.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    edited June 2022
    Thankfully, no one in my ~400M guild has quit since DCs were released. However, there is a lot of negative sentiment, even among the more devout players among us in our first GAC stream since DCs were released.

But the spenders are still spending, so CG probably sees this as a colossal success.

vv7t843p1cvl.png

Numbers aren't accurate since 322k players signed up for GAC (so there is no way only ~15k players have datacrons) but gives you a good estimate on the 15k sample size, how many are engaging in datacrons and to what level

Speaking of GAC signups:

one before - 324,708 hits
    this one - 322,919 hits

So at most 1.8k players 'retired' but most likely a big chunk of the difference are casual players who missed sign-up and don't play the game daily or check regularly or actively

But going from the number differential and pure number data from before and after datacrons (GAC signups), the whole "people are quitting" is exaggerated in small circles
  • Get outta here with your data ;)
  • Jakdnels
    786 posts Member
    So how does one actually get a datacron?

To get you started, there is a Da
    Ultra wrote: »
    Thankfully, no one in my ~400M guild has quit since DCs were released. However, there is a lot of negative sentiment, even among the more devout players among us in our first GAC stream since DCs were released.

vv7t843p1cvl.png

Numbers aren't accurate since 322k players signed up for GAC (so there is no way only ~15k players have datacrons) but gives you a good estimate on the 15k sample size, how many are engaging in datacrons and to what level

Speaking of GAC signups:

this one - 322,919 hits

So at most 1.8k players 'retired' but most likely a big chunk of the difference are casual players who missed sign-up and don't play the game daily or check regularly or actively

But going from the number differential and pure number data from before and after datacrons (GAC signups), the whole "people are quitting" is exaggerated in small circles

Does that 1.8k retired take into account new players joining?
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Jakdnels wrote: »

vv7t843p1cvl.png

Speaking of GAC signups:

this one - 322,919 hits

It involves everyone, so at the very least gac attendance has shrunk a little. It's not logical to assume noone has retired, just that that number has also been mostly replenished.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member

vv7t843p1cvl.png

Speaking of GAC signups:

this one - 322,919 hits

Where does this info exist on swgoh.gg? Can't find it.
  • Jakdnels
    786 posts Member

vv7t843p1cvl.png

Speaking of GAC signups:

this one - 322,919 hits

It involves everyone, so at the very least gac attendance has shrunk a little. It's not logical to assume noone has retired, just that that number has also been mostly replenished.

I'm curious how many are new players vs retired long time/high GP players
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member

vv7t843p1cvl.png

Speaking of GAC signups:

this one - 322,919 hits

I'm curious how many are new players vs retired long time/high GP players

"New" players is a little misleading here, since you have to be level 85 to signup for GAC, so can't be all that new.

But, interesting to see, since about a year ago that number was closer to 450k.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator

vv7t843p1cvl.png

Speaking of GAC signups:

this one - 322,919 hits

Where does this info exist on swgoh.gg? Can't find it.

The devs behind .gg themselves provided this information on discord
  • Lumiya
    1435 posts Member
    edited June 2022

vv7t843p1cvl.png

Speaking of GAC signups:

this one - 322,919 hits

This is very intersting, thank you.

There is also one more point to consider: Last GAC was 3v3 so it begs the question if there were less sign ups than in the 5v5 round before. If yes then the difference would be even higher, meaning more people didn't sign up this time compared to the last 5v5.

Edit formatting
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Lumiya wrote: »

vv7t843p1cvl.png

Speaking of GAC signups:

this one - 322,919 hits

This is very intersting, thank you.

There is also one more point to consider: Last GAC was 3v3 so it begs the question if there were less sign ups than in the 5v5 round before. If yes then the difference would be even higher, meaning more people didn't sign up this time compared to the last 5v5.

Edit formatting

Yeah to have any decrease is bad. I get the argument that 1800 accounts isn’t a big deal but we all assume 3v3 had less signups. I’d be interested in the comparison to last 5v5 to see if that’s just a myth or not.

I’m also surprised to see 320ish as the number. When gac changes went live I saw someone who tracks gac saying 400k players if this was released by the same people that is extremely bad. I doubt it is though.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    So serious question.

You guys use datacron to make a lower tier character good during the "season".

I invest to get say ugnaught up to snuff to use the Dcron...

When do i get reward for my investment next?

Ugnaught goes back to lower tier when the season is over, so whats the real point to me investing in him?

For end tier users that have everyone into the relic levels, i see this as good thing... for those of us who dont have r0 or higher on everyone, not so much

If you don't want to R7 Ugnaught, reroll the last tier of the Datacron.

But if i do... when is it reusable again?
  • So the numbers are showing a majority isn’t engaging in the datacrons? That’s excellent news.
  • Screerider
    1343 posts Member
    Kinda like how lack of interest in 3v3 made it go away.
  • EgoSlayer
    140 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Considering 10 months ago GAC player tracking was averaging around 400K per month and that I would expect an uptick in player joins for 5v5 over 3v3 (may be less players skipping since the crystals moved into GAC so may not see much variance between joins in 3v3 vs 5v5), I think 322K players joined does show a pretty substantial decrease in players.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/p5moxi/gac_playerbase_survey_were_not_dead_yet_and_new/

• Screerider wrote: »
    Kinda like how lack of interest in 3v3 made it go away.

CG still claim the data showed them that people loved 3v3 as much as they like 5v5. I’m skeptical but that’s what their numbers showed them. Now the numbers show that datacrons aren’t engaging.
  • What numbers?
  • The numbers posted by Ultra, a huge majority of datacrons are level 0, that would mean people don’t care about them.
  • So I think I found the same data that ultra is referencing from swgoh events.

Posted by Scott In the grand arena channel.
    aolycjwmsrak.png
    In a comment posted by him he mentions that the last week of the last 5v5 325.200 something was the data point.

Same chart from him on 3/30

x0lbslq4ap2i.png
    Finally chart from sigsig on 1/24
    ]
    mxzcc09h36g3.png

I’m assuming they just passed off who shared the data. But the trend seems pretty clear going from 342.353 in January to 332,405 in the end of March, to the 325k end of last 5v5 to the 322,919. This is a drop of nearly 20k accounts or 5.7 percent fewer accounts signed up in a span of 5 months. I have no idea if the data is accurate nor whether this rises to the level of worrisome. So interpret the information from swgoh events as you will.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Drathuk916 wrote: »
    So I think I found the same data that ultra is referencing from swgoh events.

Posted by Scott In the grand arena channel.
    aolycjwmsrak.png
    In a comment posted by him he mentions that the last week of the last 5v5 325.200 something was the data point.

Same chart from him on 3/30

x0lbslq4ap2i.png
    Finally chart from sigsig on 1/24
    ]
    mxzcc09h36g3.png

I’m assuming they just passed off who shared the data. But the trend seems pretty clear going from 342.353 in January to 332,405 in the end of March, to the 325k end of last 5v5 to the 322,919. This is a drop of nearly 20k accounts or 5.7 percent fewer accounts signed up in a span of 5 months. I have no idea if the data is accurate nor whether this rises to the level of worrisome. So interpret the information from swgoh events as you will.

This is good to know. It also shows even with all the systems in place the distributions withing leagues is nowhere near fixed either. Kyber 1 is getting crunched out.
  • Screerider
    1343 posts Member
    The numbers posted by Ultra, a huge majority of datacrons are level 0, that would mean people don’t care about them.

Or they don't have the mats to level them up.