Kenobi - Finale (Spoilers)

Replies

• LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Ridiculous that a star destroyer cant blow up a tiny ship in all that time. I dont want to hear anyone complain again about episode 8 ship chase ever again!

This episode really messes up Leias Episode 4 speech and how she doesnt care about Ben fighting DV on the death star or care when he dies.

Why didnt Ben ask Reva how she found Luke? Seems like something he would be worried about. Plus ask her who else knows.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    zatho wrote: »
    C. how is she even moving with a hole in her gut
    it's just a hole. Maul surived far worse

Yet Qui Gon didnt

This was touched on. Anger and hate drove them to survive. Reva, maul, heck even look at Darth Sion in lore. QGJ had no hatred or anger thus didn’t have that power to survive such a mortal wound.

Didn’t know Cal was a dark side character.
    uh5i3m6y1sis.png
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Ridiculous that a star destroyer cant blow up a tiny ship in all that time. I dont want to hear anyone complain again about episode 8 ship chase ever again!

This episode really messes up Leias Episode 4 speech and how she doesnt care about Ben fighting DV on the death star or care when he dies.

Why didnt Ben ask Reva how she found Luke? Seems like something he would be worried about. Plus ask her who else knows.

Just because the chase wasn’t believable in this episode, it doesn’t make the Last Jedi chase any more believable. There are many, many instances in Star Wars where one small ship outguns/outruns more formidable ones, and even more times that two or three people invade a massive military base/vessel and leave unscathed. I’ve just accepted that it’s all part of the magic of the Force, or something like that. Can’t spend too much time in life dissecting the accuracy of travel between planets in a fictional universe, right?
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Ltswb1 wrote: »
    So the Inquisitors just vanished after this with no explanation of what happened to them or Reiba??

The inquisitors appear in Rebels, which happens after this show. And some, if not all die in that show.

Vader killed a few before they moved to the base you saw too...

So my guess would be in the 9 years between this show ANH, vader disbands the rest personally

"During the early years of the Empire, the red blades of the Inquisitorius cut a swath through the galaxy as they wiped any remaining traces of the Jedi Order from existence. Once the Jedi were finally considered extinct by the Empire, the Inquisitorius vanished into the darkness as well."
    ―Luke Skywalker[45]

The Inquisitorius vanished by time of the Battle of Yavin, and Darth Vader was thought to be the only Force-wielder in Darth Sidious' service.
    In 2 BBY,[46] around six months after[47] the incident on Malachor,[44] the Empire ordered Grand Admiral Thrawn to try to finish what Lord Vader and his Inquisitors had started. The Chiss Admiral pursued the rebels until his defeat during the Liberation of Lothal.[48]

Another Inquisitor was the Third Brother, whose actions and fate were mysteries to those unfamiliar with him, with the same being true for those unfamiliar with the Third Sister. Another member of the organization, the Fourth Sister, also had an unknown fate, although her armor would fall into the hands of rebel Commander Lina Graf, who employed it to impersonate her on at least one occasion.[34]

In 0 BBY,[49] the Jedi Order was largely thought to be extinct by the Empire,[50] and once their objective of wiping out these Force-wielders was completed, the Inquisitors themselves vanished as well.[45] At a meeting aboard the first Death Star, Governor Tarkin expressed his belief that Lord Vader was the only living practitioner of what he termed "the ancient religion."[50] By this time, the Emperor deemed the Inquisitors' purpose obsolete as they had outlived their usefulness.[51]

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Inquisitorius
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »

Just because the chase wasn’t believable in this episode, it doesn’t make the Last Jedi chase any more believable. There are many, many instances in Star Wars where one small ship outguns/outruns more formidable ones, and even more times that two or three people invade a massive military base/vessel and leave unscathed. I’ve just accepted that it’s all part of the magic of the Force, or something like that. Can’t spend too much time in life dissecting the accuracy of travel between planets in a fictional universe, right?

Star Destroyers were well armed ships. That ship had the worst aim ever!!!! Plus where was it when Ben left the planet?
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »

Star Destroyers were well armed ships. That ship had the worst aim ever!!!! Plus where was it when Ben left the planet?

Maybe it was chasing whatever ship Reva somehow conjured into existence after being stabbed and left to die.
  • For me it was really crucial they do not break the continuity with the new hope. They did break it with Leia+Ben, and in this episode at least they made an effort to somewhat fix it. I think that was a hard "F" but I do appreciate the effort. Try harder next time.

I dont think they broke the continuity with Luke, so I am kinda happy with it.

I do think they broke the continuity with DV+OW, the new hope lines dont make much sense anymore, the previous episode would have been a lot better "last encounter" when OW really schooled and humbled Anakin one more time, but in this episode OW didnt really teach him anything just went on for a total destruction. I guess if you consider these two episodes as one encounter then we are okay, but... meh.

I personally always considered the "I will do what I must" mindset equal of the first line of the jedi code. In my mind that was cool, invoking (briefly) the essence of the jedi. Now, if you do what you must, dont end up tearing and mumblng "I am sorry". Like... No. I think that scene made very little sense. If your friend is "truly dead" remind me again what exactly is stopping you from killing a Sith Lord?

And please dont call him Darth, we have already gotten through that pain, that wound healed nicely, no need to fix it.

The visuals were truly amazing, the cuts during the fightscene were a little bit too often for my likings, but otherwise cool coreography.

QGJ was also a nice touch. So was Palp.

The lack of object permanence of freaking spaceships carries a risk of potential brain damage. Yes, the Star Destroyer vanished, Owen and Beru did not notice OW landing (or did not react to it in any logical way), OW might have been sensing the future, and then we dont have major issues with the timeline BUT the whole storytelling suggests otherwise.

I personally dont buy into the "you chose not to" slogan. She was unable to cross the line, that's not really a choice. Granted, she is fundamentally different, bc she is unable to cross the line but it's not really a matter of choice. Or maybe it is, but I am way more than sceptical on this one. I chose not to run as fast as Bolt, yay, I am unique and special now. Also, at the end of ep05 I had to recognize I have zero sympathy for her character, and I found none in this episode. If she gets a spinoff, i am definitely not going to watch that.

I dont think the season was outstanding in any way, it has some amazing scenes, but they were mixed up with chases (oh my gaaaawd) and meaningless deaths. I think it was one of the better jokes that I heard about this season: "Spoiler, Luke is not going to die. Or wait. Maybe he will and then they will resurrect him too?!" I dont mind having seen it but it is unlikely I would rewatch it as many times as the OT or the R1 for example.
  • LordDirt wrote: »

Don't you know it only has one laser blaster on that Star Destroyer? Sure looked like it.

What bugs me the most isn't even how she goes from being left for dead to being on Tatooine in mere minutes...what really irks me is why we should feel sorry for her. Clearly they're trying to say she nearly became a product of what Lord Vader did all that time ago, but why was she so bloodthirsty that she went all that way with a hole in her body to stalk and murder a young boy?

Nowhere in that conveniently scrambled message did it mention what's so important about the boy other than Kenobi being concerned about him. Is that enough reason to want to murder a young boy? You could even see her trying to fight her compassion. I'm sorry you don't get any sympathy from me for attempting to murder a child for no Godly reason. At least for
    no reason the show cares to explain to us anyway.
  • qc005vx7fctc.png
    "Hold your fire?!? What are we paying by the laser now?"
    "You don't do the budget Terry, I do."

This episode/scene of Family Guy kept popping in my head during that chase. Shoot every laser from every gun you have and be done with it.
  • The only thing about the space chase that made sense was that IF THEY WANTED TO DISMANTLE THE ENTIRE REBEL NETWORK, they had to capture the ship's occupants alive and question them.

They weren't using only a few lasers because they didn't want to "win". They were only using a few lasers and trying for disabling blows rather than a massive fireball because the way to "win" was to interrogate the living rebels and be able to not just blow up a ship full of refugees + 6 or 8 rebels. They wanted to kill all the rebels.

My problem was that they didn't use a tractor beam.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Ltswb1 wrote: »
    So the Inquisitors just vanished after this with no explanation of what happened to them or Reiba??

The inquisitors appear in Rebels, which happens after this show. And some, if not all die in that show.

Vader killed a few before they moved to the base you saw too...

So my guess would be in the 9 years between this show ANH, vader disbands the rest personally

"During the early years of the Empire, the red blades of the Inquisitorius cut a swath through the galaxy as they wiped any remaining traces of the Jedi Order from existence. Once the Jedi were finally considered extinct by the Empire, the Inquisitorius vanished into the darkness as well."
    ―Luke Skywalker[45]

The Inquisitorius vanished by time of the Battle of Yavin, and Darth Vader was thought to be the only Force-wielder in Darth Sidious' service.
    In 2 BBY,[46] around six months after[47] the incident on Malachor,[44] the Empire ordered Grand Admiral Thrawn to try to finish what Lord Vader and his Inquisitors had started. The Chiss Admiral pursued the rebels until his defeat during the Liberation of Lothal.[48]

Another Inquisitor was the Third Brother, whose actions and fate were mysteries to those unfamiliar with him, with the same being true for those unfamiliar with the Third Sister. Another member of the organization, the Fourth Sister, also had an unknown fate, although her armor would fall into the hands of rebel Commander Lina Graf, who employed it to impersonate her on at least one occasion.[34]

In 0 BBY,[49] the Jedi Order was largely thought to be extinct by the Empire,[50] and once their objective of wiping out these Force-wielders was completed, the Inquisitors themselves vanished as well.[45] At a meeting aboard the first Death Star, Governor Tarkin expressed his belief that Lord Vader was the only living practitioner of what he termed "the ancient religion."[50] By this time, the Emperor deemed the Inquisitors' purpose obsolete as they had outlived their usefulness.[51]

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Inquisitorius

And again... how do you think they disappeared?

They are Vaders rivals, aka half trained force users that could become sith if palps wanted them too.

Thats why the newer vader comics show them moving to the water world... Vader attacks and kills a few of the stronger ones and palp thinks ok move them.

Im guessing here, but any who didnt follow some new palp command to go out and do something unnamed, perhaps exogal prep work.. well my guess is they went quietly into that good night, culling blade style
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    SerWulfgar wrote: »
    I personally always considered the "I will do what I must" mindset equal of the first line of the jedi code. In my mind that was cool, invoking (briefly) the essence of the jedi. Now, if you do what you must, dont end up tearing and mumblng "I am sorry". Like... No. I think that scene made very little sense. If your friend is "truly dead" remind me again what exactly is stopping you from killing a Sith Lord?

Because he's not a perfect robot-jedi and still have feelings ? We witnessed on several occasions in different shows that "There is no emotion, there is peace." was not Obi-Wan's forte.

• ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Starslayer wrote: »

Because he's not a perfect robot-jedi and still have feelings ? We witnessed on several occasions in different shows that "There is no emotion, there is peace." was not Obi-Wan's forte.

I was wondering about it too.

There is no reason to pity him or walk away.

Do what you must means finish him off.

That said, it explains the lines kenobi had in ANH, but Vader saying Kenobi thought as Luke did... noy really, he never really tries to turn him back to the light
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Just watched Rebels S2:E2 again-

Palpatine - Skywalkers apprentice could lead us to other lost Jedi
    Vader - Such as Kenobi
    Palpatine- Perhaps, if he lives. Be patient, my old friend for now dispatch another Inquisitor to hunt them down.

Guess Kenobi opened yet another plot hole.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member

Vader - Such as Kenobi
    Palpatine- Perhaps, if he lives. Be patient, my old friend for now dispatch another Inquisitor to hunt them down.

Nah because thats years later... for all vader knows kenobi may be dead now....

Though i wouldnt ever think so as we are talking a 9 year time from kenobi show to ANH.

Id figure he may be too old to fight, but not dead
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member

Vader - Such as Kenobi

Though i wouldnt ever think so as we are talking a 9 year time from kenobi show to ANH.

Palpatine told him to stop looking for Kenobi in episode 6 of Kenobi. Now why would he be ok with Vader bringing him up again?
  • Starslayer wrote: »

Fair enough and all that.
    But Kenobi knew what is duty well enough. In AotC he continues to pursue the Count, in RotS he kills his friend (or so he was convinced, the burning was a bit too much for him to witness).

I do realize he had to come to the "Anakin is dead" conclusion bc that's what he tells Luke, and stands by his principle even in RotJ, but then he should have no emotional inhibition to kill him. Vader was not disarmed, he was still able to fight, he was a certified Sith Lord, and Kenobi was pretty effin the perfect jedi in that fight. He found so much strength in devotion (arguably love is also involved) towards Leia and Luke that he simply owned Vader.

Not killing him feels like a plot armor that Arya Stark would envy.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member

Vader - Such as Kenobi

Palpatine told him to stop looking for Kenobi in episode 6 of Kenobi. Now why would he be ok with Vader bringing him up again?

He didn’t really allow it, he took of Vader to be patient. I have to say, again it looks like you are really looking hard for things to dislike.
  • Compassion is an important part of jedi's mantra, it's not just "do what you must, my Lawful Evil padawan". When they choose to not kill someone, I don't understand how it can be viewed as a plot hole. Different jedis would have make different choices (for instance, Windu doesn't seem to put Compassion high on his list of priorities), so it's a matter of "is it believable for Obi-Wan ?". Considering what we know about Kenobi, not killing his son/little brother doesn't seem like a stretch.
  • I've watched episodes 1-2 so far. I heard amazing things about the series and I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed, but love anything Star Wars.

McGregor is great of course.

I found the first episode a bit boring. Look at A new hope's portrayal of Tatooine. All those interesting characters wandering around. Snaggletooth, Hammerhead, Squid face, Ponda Baba, Greedo! There's none of that here.......

And also sending mixed messages.

Kenobi: I am not a jedi anymore!
    Kenobi: I need to train the boy!
    Kenobi: I'm not the man I was....

Make up your mind man!

Episode 2 was much more exciting and introduced us to a fantastic new world!

However......... The 4th sister stinks of 'woke agenda' which....... kills the fantasy for me. Black, female actually more kick *** than the GI. Who we know is still the GI later. I don't think this does anybody any favours.

Oh and I was super looking forward to the 4-LOM cameo. Yet it wasn't 4-LOM. Just some other droid that moved like he'd been in a retirement home for the elderly metallic for a long time..........and died as such.

Cool green eyes though!!!
  • Starslayer wrote: »
    Compassion is an important part of jedi's mantra, it's not just "do what you must, my Lawful Evil padawan". When they choose to not kill someone, I don't understand how it can be viewed as a plot hole. Different jedis would have make different choices (for instance, Windu doesn't seem to put Compassion high on his list of priorities), so it's a matter of "is it believable for Obi-Wan ?". Considering what we know about Kenobi, not killing his son/little brother doesn't seem like a stretch.

Problem is that Kenobi doesnt let Vader live because of compassion, because he still want Luke to kill him later. Sorta makes Kenobi seem Lazy/selfish.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member

Vader - Such as Kenobi

No, he stops just short of doing that. To which vader replies palp is his only master.

One could say hes implying that, but he hasnt outright told him to drop it
  • Sebek wrote: »
    I've watched episodes 1-2 so far. I heard amazing things about the series and I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed, but love anything Star Wars.

I found the first episode a bit boring. Look at A new hope's portrayal of Tatooine. All those interesting characters wandering around. Snaggletooth, Hammerhead, Squid face, Ponda Baba, Greedo! There's none of that here.......

Make up your mind man!

However......... The 4th sister stinks of 'woke agenda' which....... kills the fantasy for me. Black, female actually more kick *** than the GI. Who we know is still the GI later. I don't think this does anybody any favours.

Oh and I was super looking forward to the 4-LOM cameo. Yet it wasn't 4-LOM. Just some other droid that moved like he'd been in a retirement home for the elderly metallic for a long time..........and died as such.

Oh no, women and black people are in the universe... What will we do?!

Misquote much?
  • ShaggyB wrote: »
    You know what small thing really bothered me in this on vader vs kenobi.

So kenobi wins... and leaves (lol kill him fool, nope thats not it). He gets in his ship and flies up.... WHERE IS VADER'S STAR DESTROYER?!?!?!

Did Grand inq get mad vader told him screw you we chase kenobi and leave vader?

Vader said hed go down alone, not leave the system and return to chasing the insurgents..

So why didnt they see kenobi and tractor beem him.

Honestly why didnt vader do that to start with on either ship he chased?

I was wondering that too..
    Plot armor i guess...

Also the Leia "help me Obi wan" speech sounds too stiff and formal in ANH now. Feels like Leia totally forgot about any personal touch
  • AlexanderG
    1927 posts Member
    Obi Wan leaving Vader alive is really dumb. I mean the plan in the OT was to train Luke to kill him and Palpatine. Why make that 10 times more difficult by making Luke have to not kill 1 but 2 sith Lords, one of which is also his own father which Kenobi then had to keep a secret to not have Luke become conflicted or even worse join the baddies?

The whole part of Kenobi being at rock bottom was unnecessary. It used to be a subversion of the stoic action hero trope but now its done so often its become a trope itself. It doesnt fit his character, seeing as hes supposed to be an almost perfect representation of the "no attachments" jedi from the prequel era and the fact that he shrugged off seeing his Master and love of his life die right in front of him. Not saying Anakin shouldnt haunt him, but not to the extent he lets himself go the way its portrayed, especially when his entire purpose in life is to train Luke when hes ready. It maybe could have been forgiven had it actually been executed well, but instead he just suddenly regains everything one day and the whole thing is forgotten about.

Legit criticism but I think the damage took to Vader's helmet was to show Anakin's face to Kenobi. From there on, Kenobi had no further desire to carry on the fight. He clearly still feels guilt and remorse irrespective of what Vader told him. Heck, he might even of felt pity.

They were like brothers after all.
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    edited June 2022

Star Wars is built off of plot holes, the original trilogy should’ve been enough evidence for this
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Sebek wrote: »
    I've watched episodes 1-2 so far. I heard amazing things about the series and I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed, but love anything Star Wars.

Make up your mind man!

Misquote much?

You literally said a black female killed the fantasy for you in the same paragraph….
  • Ultra wrote: »

Make up your mind man!

Misquote much?

You literally said a black female killed the fantasy for you in the same paragraph….

No, I didn't! I literally said "The 4th sister stinks of 'woke agenda' which....... kills the fantasy for me." The agenda kills the fantasy for me, not the person. The Reva actress is pretty cool, I love her moody looks.

I don't have a problem with black or female people having a strong/lead role.

I do have a problem with real life issues/a real life agenda in my science fiction. It affects my belief of the fantasy. The fact that Star Wars hasn't had a lead/strong black female up to now; this strikes me of a 'woke agenda' created character to cover bases.

I have a problem with Reva character. She's meaner than the GI, and (from what I've seen so far) appears to kill the GI. As the GI appears later, it's bizarre and feels artificially created to avoid real life issues backlash.

When I saw Rebels, and you thought about the GI. My thoughts are that the GI is the meanest of the inquisitors. And is at the top because of that, now we find out that's not the case. It messes with my perceived order of things for not reason other than .... A real life agenda (In my opinion, not fact).

And that's become the norm; typically Star Wars messes with what you imagined the past to be. I'm having a problem with the Leia/Kenobi relationship too. As in A New Hope, Leia appears to have had no personal relationship with Kenobi.
  • harvestmouse
    890 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Ultra wrote: »

Make up your mind man!

Misquote much?

No, I didn't! I literally said "The 4th sister stinks of 'woke agenda' which....... kills the fantasy for me." The agenda kills the fantasy for me, not the person. The Reva actress is pretty cool, I love her moody looks.

I don't have a problem with black or female people having a strong/lead role.

I do have a problem with real life issues/a real life agenda in my science fiction. It affects my belief of the fantasy. The fact that Star Wars hasn't had a lead/strong black female up to now; this strikes me of a 'woke agenda' created character to cover bases.

I have a problem with Reva character. She's meaner than the GI, and (from what I've seen so far) appears to kill the GI. As the GI appears later, it's bizarre and feels artificially created to avoid real life issues backlash.

When I saw Rebels, and you thought about the GI. My thoughts are that the GI is the meanest of the inquisitors. And is at the top because of that, now we find out that's not the case. It messes with my perceived order of things for not reason other than .... A real life agenda (In my opinion, not fact).

And that's become the norm; typically Star Wars messes with what you imagined the past to be. I'm having a problem with the Leia/Kenobi relationship too. As in A New Hope, Leia appears to have had no personal relationship with Kenobi.

Almost all sci-fi/fantasy stories are influenced by real life issues.
    For example Ewoks vs. Empire was inspired by the USA vs. The Viet Cong.

It's my major beef with George Orwell's work. I want fantasy to escape real life issues.

I think influenced and an agenda are 2 different things though. At least in my mind, and that's where the fantasy exists. Only my mind can tell me if it thinks there's an agenda or not.

• I think influenced and an agenda are 2 different things though. At least in my mind, and that's where the fantasy exists. Only my mind can tell me if it thinks there's an agenda or not.

‘Mouse are you genuinely saying you think 1984 would have been a better book without all the pesky politics? That’s a fairly bold statement. I’d be interested in how you take that argument to a conclusion.

For my tuppence worth, I’m not too bothered about ‘woke agendas’ if the story is a good one. So recent Dr Who season is a fail and Ms Marvel is a solid A+ (so far) IMHO. I don’t personally see much evidence of redundant wokery in Kenobi - but it could do with better writing definitely