Datacrons- objectively terrible

So let’s evaluate the impact of datacrons:

1) regularly alters the meta, so constantly unclear what teams are best to farm/focus on
2) only temporary, so any investment in them will be immediately lost at the end of the cycle
3) random, so can’t even farm for a specific thing in any consistent manner. This also means that people who don’t have a strong specific faction may not even want to level them past a certain point- again due to randomness.

It’s no wonder datacrons are universally disliked. Honest question CG - what were you thinking?! How- in any way- do these improve your product?

Replies

• Kathiyitis wrote: »
    It’s no wonder datacrons are universally disliked. Honest question CG - what were you thinking?!

Whales will buy anything. Even temporary gains and no new content.
    Kathiyitis wrote: »
    How- in any way- do these improve your product?

Their product is returns for their shareholders. Given the nature of DCs, I'd wager costs have been lowered and thus returns improved.
  • I think they were very clear...

Datacrons are a way to "spend" resources when you are reaching endgame and have little where to spend those resources...a way to keep TOP players in game...
  • Devs are clearly moving away from actually creating PVE content such as raids, new TBs, and cinematic legendary/hero's journey events in favor of 'content' that can be algorithmically maintained on simmer:

Conquest - release 4 new units a year, set feats to new marquees/based on lowest geared teams from SWGOH.gg data (you bet they'll come around to pheonix and jawa based feats at some point), randomize other faction feats and data discs, pay an intern to take a quick glance at wording, then push out a hotfix to read as it's working instead of as intended.

Datacons - literally just an RNG fest on both what stats/factions/toons hit. Force players to be their own 'content' by putting all crystal rewards in GAC and pressure players to spend on temporary, obscene bonuses to outspend each other. Why play chess when you can just bribe a judge (CG) to replace your pieces with additional queens? (IMO this will backfire when whales eventually all have fully DC'd teams and have gone from playing a strategic game of chess where counters and 'reading' your opponents defenses determine the results of the match to brute-force slamming ($500 DC9) 'queens' into one another)

Lord of the Rings development is stagnating new content releases in SWGOH. I don't know that CG even minds if a large amount of the playerbase leaves. If the whales stay only to outspend one another in high end K1 and TW, F2P serve no more purpose, as we historically filled arena and fleet shards now as whale fodder to make them feel better about themselves and justify their spending when they beat us with higher relics and better mods on the most recent meta teams, but that won't matter once CG moves crystals from fleet to TW and all F2P do for them is eat up server capacity.

"This is how liberty dies"
  • Degs29
    361 posts Member
    I partially disagree.

1) They are intended to regularly alter the meta, and I don't see anything wrong with that except that it gives CG an excuse not to push out new content, something they were already largely failing at.

2) I don't have any issue with them being temporary either. In fact, seems to me that's a balancing mechanic for whales and ftp as the gap gets "reset" after 3 months. Unlike splurging on relics which is a permanent advantage. Keep in mind you also get back about 28% of materials when your datacron is broken down.

3) I also am frustrated by randomness and gambling mechanics in this game. One positive from datacrons though is that re-rolling grants you two options, plus the ability to retain the old ability which is a bigger deal than maybe you'd originally think, as it eliminates risk.

I certainly have issues with datacrons -- I think it's dumb that GLs are included in the lvl 9 bonus mechanics, the team-wide relic requirements are asinine, and the drop rates should be clearly posted for each possible bonus mechanic -- but I find them somewhat enjoyable to mess around with without spending on them. I think they're better for the game than balance-breaking GLs were, and less insulting than the ridiculous R9 requirements.
  • Lumiya
    1435 posts Member
    So you "get back" 28%... and the next time you get back 28% of the previous 28%, meaning after 2-3 times it's practically nothing. Lol
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • The GL's being included is dumb but also necessary because they've made the GL's the end all in PVP content. The push for all GLs would be impacted in a manner CG doesnt want if you could catch an awesome datacron that turns Ezra into conquest or GI event Ezra and your Ezra is now as powerful as a GL.

As far as the LOTR is concerned if CG is so stupid to give up a golden goose in this game to HOPEFULLY find another but better golden goose in LOTR they deserve to go out of business. There is no logical way any company would give up on something as lucrative as this game until they know for certain it will be outperformed by LOTR. Abandoning SWGOH also implies that both LOTR and SWGOH can't both fully operate at 100% creative capacity at the same time - which isn't true. Its my opinion that while doing everything they can to let SWGOH coast on autopilot for 6 months while they get LOTR up-and-running they've totally miscalculated datacrons and how negatively they'd be received.
  • Abandoning SWGOH also implies that both LOTR and SWGOH can't both fully operate at 100% creative capacity at the same time - which isn't true.

I totally agree with you except on this point. CG can only run one game at a time (and they can't even do it properly). It's why they've not had any others but SWGOH thus far. Given how many bugs they've struggled to fix, and how every TU is now fully bug-ridden to the point of ridiculousness, it's pretty clear splitting their focus just makes things even worse.
  • Abandoning SWGOH also implies that both LOTR and SWGOH can't both fully operate at 100% creative capacity at the same time - which isn't true.

I totally agree with you except on this point. CG can only run one game at a time (and they can't even do it properly). It's why they've not had any others but SWGOH thus far. Given how many bugs they've struggled to fix, and how every TU is now fully bug-ridden to the point of ridiculousness, it's pretty clear splitting their focus just makes things even worse.

You're right. I probably gave them too much credit.
  • Rius
    356 posts Member
    Lumiya wrote: »
    So you "get back" 28%... and the next time you get back 28% of the previous 28%, meaning after 2-3 times it's practically nothing. Lol

Maths is off here. Assuming you earn the same amount each time then that 28% value increases each time as each refund accumulates to a higher total resources.

28% of 100%

28% of (100% + 28%)

28% of (100% + (28% of (100% + 28%)).

Etc etc.
  • Degs29
    361 posts Member

Good! Less whale advantage. They have plenty in this game.

Also keep in mind that the recouped cost is cumulative. You're getting 28% back, but you're also getting 28% of 28% of the previous round back, etc etc. Doing the math, it looks like you're getting back about 38% cumulatively after 4 rounds, approaching 39% by 10 rounds. So your input each "season" is about 61%, not 72%.

EDIT: I see Rius just mentioned that as well.
  • Degs29
    361 posts Member
    The GL's being included is dumb but also necessary because they've made the GL's the end all in PVP content. The push for all GLs would be impacted in a manner CG doesnt want if you could catch an awesome datacron that turns Ezra into conquest or GI event Ezra and your Ezra is now as powerful as a GL.

I sort of agree, though (1) datacrons are temporary so it wouldn't be earth-shattering and (2) their GL mindset is bad for the game anyway.
  • DavienBlackstar
    59 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Rius wrote: »

Maths is off here. Assuming you earn the same amount each time then that 28% value increases each time as each refund accumulates to a higher total resources.

28% of 100%

28% of (100% + 28%)

Etc etc.

You might recognize this as an infinite series. You might not. It converges to a limit and that limit depends on the specifics of the series. 28% is about a random a number as 33%, so let's use 33% since it's easier.

33% of 100%
    33% of (100% + 33%)
    etc.
    Converges to 1.5 after forever.

So their math wasn't off, nor was their conclusion, after 2 or three times it's practically nothing, and, I quote, "Lol."
  • Rius
    356 posts Member

28% of 100%

28% of (100% + 28%)

Etc etc.

You might recognize this as an infinite series. You might not. It converges to a limit and that limit depends on the specifics of the series. 28% is about a random a number as 33%, so let's use 33% since it's easier.

33% of 100%
    33% of (100% + 33%)
    etc.

So their math wasn't off, nor was their conclusion, after 2 or three times it's practically nothing, and, I quote, "Lol."

The original claim describes diminishing returns… Maths is off. But yes the increase will reach a detectable limit. But never a decrease 👍.
  • D-crons suck. No need to explain beyond this level. :)
  • Lumiya
    1435 posts Member

28% of 100%

28% of (100% + 28%)

Etc etc.

33% of 100%
    33% of (100% + 33%)
    etc.

This is not diminishing returns as was describe.

You don't seem to understand and have an error in your math, so let me try to explain it more detailed:
    First of all let's not forget that we got materials to start with from CG. I am pretty sure we will not get them with every new set/round, just for the start now because they introduced them. This will definitely not be given to us with every new set/round.
    Then look at the amount we actually get during Conquest and we see it's not much and let's also keep in mind not everyone is playing hard mode and the crates aswell as the nodes in normal definitely have even less of the materials.
    Almost half of what I could do with my DCs was with what I got in the beginning from CG. With that I could bring a DC to level 3 and could do 1 reroll for LS/DS. Everything else I got now during Conquest was marginal, I got 1 DC to level 3 and 1 to 1. For clarity, I am playing normal mode.
    If we take my example, just to try to make it easy, let's say what CG gave me made up 40% of what I had in total and I accumulated the other 60%(so my personal 100% without CGs gift).

Now let's get to the maths: let's assume the number of 28% given is the right amount. This means when the next round starts/ set comes out you will start with only 28% of what you've had in total -including- CGs gift. It would take a lot more farming even in hard mode to accumulate the same amount you had before with the given materials from CG, so it's safe to assume, you will end the next round with less in total than you've had the round before with the gift.
    If you farm around the same you did the round before, this means you've accumulated again roughly the amount of what made 60% of your personal (100%) total in the round before + the 28% you started this round with = 88%(no gift from CG this time). That is your new total 100%, which is less than the round before.

Next round comes around and your 28% will be less than what you started with in the round before, because your total will be less than it was in the first round... etc, etc... you catch my drift?

The only way you can get to the same amount in total is if you spend more, be it crystals for refreshes or spend more in the shops for the materials themselves.
  • Lumiya wrote: »
    The only way you can get to the same amount in total is if you spend more

4axc2q.jpg

Quote truncated for brevity, and because

FeN8Lna.jpg
    CG wrote: »
    spend more
  • Rius
    356 posts Member

28% of 100%

28% of (100% + 28%)

Etc etc.

33% of 100%
    33% of (100% + 33%)
    etc.

You don't seem to understand and have an error in your math, so let me try to explain it more detailed:
    First of all let's not forget that we got materials to start with from CG. I am pretty sure we will not get them with every new set/round, just for the start now because they introduced them. This will definitely not be given to us with every new set/round.
    Then look at the amount we actually get during Conquest and we see it's not much and let's also keep in mind not everyone is playing hard mode and the crates aswell as the nodes in normal definitely have even less of the materials.
    Almost half of what I could do with my DCs was with what I got in the beginning from CG. With that I could bring a DC to level 3 and could do 1 reroll for LS/DS. Everything else I got now during Conquest was marginal, I got 1 DC to level 3 and 1 to 1. For clarity, I am playing normal mode.
    If we take my example, just to try to make it easy, let's say what CG gave me made up 40% of what I had in total and I accumulated the other 60%(so my personal 100% without CGs gift).

Now let's get to the maths: let's assume the number of 28% given is the right amount. This means when the next round starts/ set comes out you will start with only 28% of what you've had in total -including- CGs gift. It would take a lot more farming even in hard mode to accumulate the same amount you had before with the given materials from CG, so it's safe to assume, you will end the next round with less in total than you've had the round before with the gift.
    If you farm around the same you did the round before, this means you've accumulated again roughly the amount of what made 60% of your personal (100%) total in the round before + the 28% you started this round with = 88%(no gift from CG this time). That is your new total 100%, which is less than the round before.

Next round comes around and your 28% will be less than what you started with in the round before, because your total will be less than it was in the first round... etc, etc... you catch my drift?

The only way you can get to the same amount in total is if you spend more, be it crystals for refreshes or spend more in the shops for the materials themselves.

No error in my math, I did not include the “gift” in my expectations of return as it’s a one of to get you started. I am also happy not to have any returns and still engage with datacrons.

• Lumiya
    1435 posts Member

28% of 100%

28% of (100% + 28%)

Etc etc.

33% of 100%
    33% of (100% + 33%)
    etc.

No error in my math, I did not include the “gift” in my expectations of return as it’s a one of to get you started. I am also happy not to have any returns and still engage with datacrons.

It's good for you if you see it this way, but it doesn't change the fact that this is how your total and your 28% will be calculated. You said my maths was off and that it is not diminishing, I showed you that it was not off and in fact will be diminishing.

If you were basing your comment on your personal opinion or feelings, which is totally fine, you might make that clear the next time instead of stating someone else's maths is off if it isn't.