Datacrons were the inevitable solution to unlocking new whaling grounds

SWGOH has been around for so long that new whales jumping in over the last 2 years or less (especially) are having one big realization. The realization that despite having most the characters and relic levels that they can’t compete at higher end due to poor mid depth. Feels bad to drop 20k to still suck at the game probably but that’s where the datacons come in.

Datacrons will shortly bridge the gap for mod deficient newer whales allowing them to get ahead afterall. Get ready because once the turn meter or +speed starting hitting higher numbers mods are going to start looking fudge factors (in pvp) at least.

Replies

• Why even bother to pay to win when the rewards are crystals, if you can whale out you don’t need the crystals.
    I have another suggestion for CG, why not have a “buy banners” button in GAC and TW? If you’re 200 banners behind the opponent just deposit $201 and then you’re in the lead again. Everybody that counts get what they want.
  • Straegen
    194 posts Member
    They made their already complicated combat engine more complex. Top tier players will continue to pay to win but the long term prospects of the game are definitely shortened by this mess.
  • hunchew
    70 posts Member
    You are correct. Datacrons make mods irrelevant and it have the highest benefit to the newer spenders in the game who don't have the mod depth, but have purchased all the characters.
  • One who whales on something that goes away after 3 months should really consider visiting a psychologist. Alternatively if they want to burn their money, id gladly collect it for them 😁
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    edited July 2022
    I don't think datacrons were designed for newer players or to invalidate mods (although they do negate them to a large degree) because:

1. Datacrons have minimum r5 requirements
    2. Best datacrons are tied to GLs (i mean if you have JMK already then....)
    3. Factions change every set (as low as 2 factions per set), which newer players won't have built

Newer whales will whale on datacron if it makes sense to (if they have rebels and jedi, i can see someone whaling on set 2, etc)

The randomness of the faction flavor of the month, and the R5 requirement doesn't seem like its meant to help newer players make up for the mod deficiency

I don't think datacrons were an inevitable solution to mods, if the mods were an issue, the inevitable solution would've been mod related

Like say, have less RNG, and letting players choose the mod stats or rolls (like say, i want my roll to be on speed, how much it rolls is RNG)

Yes, this effects all players, but over time, the speed secondaries and other stats would even out across players

and the only difference between a player with equalized relic, mods, is how they mod the toons, and what team comps they use
  • I'm not sure what percentage of players think datacrons are a positive; however, I very much doubt it's as high as 20% even.

Gacha games seem to have a period after their peak, where they're still viable, but put on a bit of an auto (With this tri-monthly recycling, there's not much work for them to do once we're up and running) while the company moves onto something else.

It feels like we're there. Not a worry right now, but the lack of feedback or positive changes feel like our best days are behind us.
  • It feels like we're there. Not a worry right now, but the lack of feedback or positive changes feel like our best days are behind us.

I couldn't agree more, the beneficial efforts for the players have been declining for years.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • I'm not sure what percentage of players think datacrons are a positive; however, I very much doubt it's as high as 20% even.

Gacha games seem to have a period after their peak, where they're still viable, but put on a bit of an auto (With this tri-monthly recycling, there's not much work for them to do once we're up and running) while the company moves onto something else.

It feels like we're there. Not a worry right now, but the lack of feedback or positive changes feel like our best days are behind us.

Our best days are WAY behind us. This game has been a mess for a long time now...
  • Ghost666
    327 posts Member
    I'm not sure what percentage of players think datacrons are a positive; however, I very much doubt it's as high as 20% even.
    Datacorns were not supposed to be "positive"...they are simply a way for top players (with large Reliced rosters) to spend resources so they take longer to get to endgame.
    They have minimal effect on the early and midgame...
  • Ghost666 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what percentage of players think datacrons are a positive; however, I very much doubt it's as high as 20% even.
    Datacorns were not supposed to be "positive"...they are simply a way for top players (with large Reliced rosters) to spend resources so they take longer to get to endgame.
    They have minimal effect on the early and midgame...

I'm not sure about that. Mid-game players have a GL, and depending on what you class as a early game they may do as well.

It's not too difficult for these players to get one level 9 datacron; if that happens it probably has more of an effect.

I dislike 1 defensive team being the whole match decider in GAC (and possibly TW). Datacrons make this more and more likely.

Just to clarify my post. I personally don't think the game's in a terrible place (not a fan of datacrons mind). I like modern GAC and I like Conquest. I feel the game's got better, but it feels like CG are putting it on cruise control now.