Roleplaying at Light side?

g1leen41
posts Member
edited July 2022
I am playing on SWGOH as a first time player. As I have progressed through the game and learned how it works, mostly without the help of guides, I have decided I would like to try and fill out as a Light side Player, minimizing the number of Dark Side characters and teams.

I am not expecting to be ultra competitive, but am wondering if this play style is not viable for sustained play.

Currently I am building to unlock JML as my first GL and then will go for Jedi Revan. After that I am not sure, maybe build out a Malevolence fleet (I know it's DS but is more viable for me to get started than Negotiator due to resource needs)

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Post edited by crzydroid on

Replies

• Picking one side over the other is restricting your ability to engage with all aspects of the game. I’d recommend you don’t do it.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    There are some factions fans that will develop those factions beyond what's necessary or the toons in them that are not that useful. Completely skipping half of the characters won't be as viable though. GLs require toons from both sides.

If you have no intention of competetiveness at any level, you can still try it. It's not like everyone has to progress towards the same end game boiling pot for years. Just know that your opponents in gac etc. will supersede you thus your crystal income will be low.
  • It's good to have a bit of a mix but you can be competitive/progress a lot with a light side heavy roster, mine for example is more DS heavy but I have a few friends friends who are LS heavy with all 3 LS GL's. You could just collect the DS characters only needed for certain GLs/characters like JKL is needed for JML but you need Wampa for Luke etc.

The number one thing in this game is playing your way and having fun.
  • Rius
    356 posts Member
    Go for what you enjoy, there are strong factions both light and dark. Most have some bias early on. My roster has a light side bias as I enjoy galactic republic and working towards JMK. But most unlocks force you to invest in some dark side characters, I try to fill out dark side requirements into useful squads to make all investment useful. Sometimes this happens passively like GG R7 requirement for JMK and separatist droid requirement for GAS, together gave me a good dark side squad which is my 3rd strongest and works well in TW, GAC and DSTB. I also invested in Geo’s for JMK wat requirement.

JML path is more light side but is perhaps the best route for strong squads with CLS and mon mothma. JKL is also very strong and JKR makes a lot of sense to go for afterwards. I don’t think you would struggle in GAC, you will have some good squads for TW and conquest.

I think TB’s will be the biggest impact with a bias. But there are 50 players in the guild, and there are players with a dark side preference who went for SLKR or SEE early who would balance your roster out. Guild leaders may consider this if they are pushing progress in a particular direction, I think my guild was looking to improve LSTB (which is much harder) so my roster fit well. But casual guilds probably won’t even look that deep.

To be honest in early shards a high level rebel fleet does well, and most of the pilots are JML requirements so it’s efficient to level up. Think it would just be ackbar you would need to level outside of JML requirements. Unfortunately the meta is heavily executor and older shards are filling up, which is dark side, but we may hope profundity could rival executor. It would be cool if they had the negotiator v malevolence balance.
  • the journey guide should help you decide your level of diversity
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    g1leen41 wrote: »
    I am playing on SWGOH as a first time player. As I have progressed through the game and learned how it works, mostly without the help of guides, I have decided I would like to try and fill out as a Light side Player, minimizing the number of Dark Side characters and teams.

I am not expecting to be ultra competitive, but am wondering if this play style is not viable for sustained play.
    It's not. Farming off-meta factions because you like them is fine especially if you aren't too bothered about being competitive in PVP but if you neglect key factions then you will miss out on some parts of the game entirely and be hobbled in others which in turn will reduce your ability to build the things that do interest you. You may also have a harder time finding a guild especially as you gain in power which again restricts your ability to do the things you want to do.

If you want to roleplay, I would suggest finding a suitable community outside of the game to do that. Maybe there's a roleplaying server on discord or a casual guild you could join that likes to roleplay in discord.

• Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    Ignoring 50% of the characters and ships in the game will cripple you and severely limit your ability to progress. Just don't do it. You'll be a drag on your guild and get absolutely trounced in Grand Arena.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Shadowscream
    968 posts Member
    edited July 2022
    You could do this…. But I’d strongly recommend doing at least these 4 Darkside teams:
    1) Imperial Troopers - Covers 2 Assault Battles and unlocks R2D2.
    2) First Order - Do the pilots, you will need ships! Look at unlocking Finalizer as a reasonable target…also let’s you go for SLKR if you change your mind.
    Additionally, FO unlocks BB8 and covers another ABattle
    3) Bounty Hunters - Jango, Cad Bane, Boba, IG88, and Bossk — pilots + Jango. Also work on their ships.
    More ships and unlock Chewie + Ships = MFalc
    Also needed in several recurring events.
    4) Geos - Unlock Padme! 3 ships and let you farm Wat.

These 4 teams will let you participate in DSTB, cover 3 ABattles and unlock four LSide Legendary characters.