What motivates you to keep playing?

Replies

• Trying to unlock my first GL keeps me going.

JMLS is about 30% or maybe 40% req ready, still a few item pieces I need to take some characters to Relic level

I don't think you are the only one, the newer players I talk to, the GL Journey keeps them going and gives them focus. It is good to see you getting involved, more please :-)
    This is the Way
  • My guild motivates me to keep playing, unfortunately with this latest move from CG to force relic 9 to progress, my guild will prevent me from keep getting characters. So CG is designing their game to reduce incentive to keep playing.
  • Guild health discussions were common when cPit launched. From what information Kyno relayed to us at the time, plus Ultra's comments since then, I don't think CG believes that guild ties are a critical driving force for player retention. Maybe they're right; CG should have some data to make or break this point. But there sure is a lot of anecdotal evidence to the contrary.
  • Ashur1
    10 posts Member
    All the Inquisitorious events, every week, love it, can't get enough of it. Especially with my 3* characters. Makes my day. :#
  • My motivation is now simply to see how far can a pure f2p to go in term of roster development. I started in December 2015, so it is nearly non-stop since almost inception of the game 1 month earlier.
  • Ghost666
    327 posts Member
    I don't think CG believes that guild ties are a critical driving force for player retention. Maybe they're right; CG should have some data to make or break this point. But there sure is a lot of anecdotal evidence to the contrary.
    I play another game that had a player exodus recently...some came to SWOGH together from a team there, the only question they made (to me) wasif swogh allowed teams and cooperative game modes...they are not even big star wars fans...they wanted a fun, casual game where they could still play together...and will be around as long as that is fun.
    Side note...at early levels there is no datacron issues...so game is still fun :)

• sloweagle wrote: »
    My motivation is now simply to see how far can a pure f2p to go in term of roster development. I started in December 2015, so it is nearly non-stop since almost inception of the game 1 month earlier.

Yeah, I'm trying to see the same as well for myself. You're doing amazingly well though haha
  • HanSolonoid
    75 posts Member
    edited July 2022
    Nothing. Quit 4-5 month ago, then came back, then they did datacrons and I knew my original decision was right. I’m a fairly large spender. Started December 2015. I don’t have the time to go through every squad, their mods, and their datacrons just to play some GAC. I don’t have the time to care or be motivated to do that same in TW. Now I see they’ve released a TB GL.

This is a game you’re supposed to play on the toilet, during your work break, or catch a few mins before bed. Whoever at CG thought it was a good idea to make it a game you need hours of investment in daily is stupid. Whoever thought a ‘borrowed power’ idea was a good one, is incompetent. Games that tired this got destroyed for it and gave it up. WoW was almost killed entirely by a borrowed power mechanic. Seasonal power is an absolute money grab, but unlike most money grabs the customers see through the borrowed power scam. We’re not buying things that go away.

Most of the whales are boomers. Grew up with Star Wars and have decent disposable incomes. I know when people say what I am about to say it falls on deaf ears, however I am not the only whale in my circle who has quit in the last 4-5 months. In fact the guild I was in that was pushing 400m has collapsed and now has zero members.

I can only assume CG doesn’t actually want us around and intentionally set the game this way to get rid of us, so they can bring in a new level of whale. One prepared to spend 5x more than before in both cash and time.

No thanks.
  • Guild health discussions were common when cPit launched. From what information Kyno relayed to us at the time, plus Ultra's comments since then, I don't think CG believes that guild ties are a critical driving force for player retention. Maybe they're right; CG should have some data to make or break this point. But there sure is a lot of anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

I'd question their ability to read their data. Guild ties are an absolute driving force for much of the spending player base. Keep causing upper tier guilds with paying players to fall apart and see what happens. I've watched two longtime guilds fall apart after poor game decisions by CG and the majority of those players quit instead of joining another guild. Was it being fed up with the garbage? Yes, in part, but it was also the loss of a close knit community. It's the same story across my SWGOH bubble. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this is a belief that came about due to looking at a dataset as a whole and not looking closely at the guilds that are actually meaningful to them.

• Like many others here, I play for my guild mates. I'm so frustrated with the direction of this game since they refused to buff SEE and decided to Nerf everything else instead. Had they allowed the power creep to progress; imagine how awesome the Inquisitors would've been!?

Lore is what should determine how good a character is. I understand the need to monetize with things like gear levels, but they've pushed so far away from the Lore artificially by using data/Omicrons to "make" teams better. What has really deflated my passion for this game has been the great Nerf that continues it's chokehold over this game.
  • HokieFiend wrote: »
    Guild health discussions were common when cPit launched. From what information Kyno relayed to us at the time, plus Ultra's comments since then, I don't think CG believes that guild ties are a critical driving force for player retention. Maybe they're right; CG should have some data to make or break this point. But there sure is a lot of anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

I'd question their ability to read their data. Guild ties are an absolute driving force for much of the spending player base. Keep causing upper tier guilds with paying players to fall apart and see what happens. I've watched two longtime guilds fall apart after poor game decisions by CG and the majority of those players quit instead of joining another guild. Was it being fed up with the garbage? Yes, in part, but it was also the loss of a close knit community. It's the same story across my SWGOH bubble. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this is a belief that came about due to looking at a dataset as a whole and not looking closely at the guilds that are actually meaningful to them.

I completely agree with you. I only wish CG did as well :(
  • Coffee4Closers
    59 posts Member
    edited July 2022
    I am starting to feel the same way. Personally for me it's the GL grinds. Since GLs all I've done is farm them. I think putting precious resources and relicing toons that I'll never use has dulled my enjoyment. Right now I'm finishing up SLKR who'll be my 3rd GL. After that I'm gonna start powering up teams that I enjoy using like clones, droid seps, etc. The GL grind has burned me out. Nobody's fault but my own. I'll take a few months and shore up some existing times. I'd also like to get my Iden Versio team to R7. Then JMK will be my next GL farm, unless there's some new really cool GL that comes out. I still think Darth Tyranus would be a cool GL.

Also datacrons kinda bummed me out. I feel like that development effort could have been spent elsewhere, but to be fair I haven't done much research on them, or Made a genuine effort to check them out.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    I recently changed guilds four times in a month and at least three of those guilds no longer exist but datacrons were not a factor in any of them.

Recruiting and retaining high GP players is hard. It takes a long time to build up 8m+ GP and the game requires a significant amount of play time on a daily basis so by the time the players who actually stick with it get to that level it's not uncommon to be tired or even burned out. So you end up with a mix of players who are still wanting to play and players who are approaching burnout.

And the disparity between winning and losing TW at high GP combined with the seemingly arbitrary and often blatantly unfair matchmaking causes friction and further contributes to burnout.

And the combination of Conquest, TW/TB, fleet arena, farming, mod & cron developing and organizing and even research can take up an amount of time which is unsustainable for many people.

And everyone seems to have some area of the game they dislike but in order to keep up with their peers &/or not let their guild down they effectively have to participate in all areas of the game.

When I first started playing SWGoH it was just another mobile game but these days it often feels more like a second job.
  • First and foremost my guild, we're quite a close knit one with the core being the same for the last 4 years, then having collecting characters for the hell of it instead of trying to be ultra competitive, and last just having fun using crappy characters in various game mode where no one sane would use them
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    I recently changed guilds four times in a month and at least three of those guilds no longer exist but datacrons were not a factor in any of them.

Recruiting and retaining high GP players is hard. It takes a long time to build up 8m+ GP and the game requires a significant amount of play time on a daily basis so by the time the players who actually stick with it get to that level it's not uncommon to be tired or even burned out. So you end up with a mix of players who are still wanting to play and players who are approaching burnout.

And the disparity between winning and losing TW at high GP combined with the seemingly arbitrary and often blatantly unfair matchmaking causes friction and further contributes to burnout.

And the combination of Conquest, TW/TB, fleet arena, farming, mod & cron developing and organizing and even research can take up an amount of time which is unsustainable for many people.

And everyone seems to have some area of the game they dislike but in order to keep up with their peers &/or not let their guild down they effectively have to participate in all areas of the game.

When I first started playing SWGoH it was just another mobile game but these days it often feels more like a second job.

It‘s not SWGOH specific to be fair. Many mobile games have the same player life-cycle. It’s intended and a way to sustain revenue. The longer you play a game, the more „wealth“ and knowledge you accumulate with your account. And with that the more „content“ you unlock. You have to invest more time or money or in some extreme cases both to keep up with the pace of the game. That‘s when a game starts to become grindy.

The game did not change. You as a player changed.

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Antario wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

It‘s not SWGOH specific to be fair. Many mobile games have the same player life-cycle. It’s intended and a way to sustain revenue. The longer you play a game, the more „wealth“ and knowledge you accumulate with your account. And with that the more „content“ you unlock. You have to invest more time or money or in some extreme cases both to keep up with the pace of the game. That‘s when a game starts to become grindy.

The game did not change. You as a player changed.
    I have of course changed, as we all do over time.

However the game has also changed considerably since I started playing four years ago:
    * Grand Arena did not exist
    * Galactic Conquest did not exist
    * Territory Wars involved significantly less battles
    * GLs did not exist
    * Datacrons did not exist
    * Mods did not exist
    * Kits were much less complex

In the last four years SWGoH has greatly increased in its complexity and in the amount of time required both in-game and doing research.
  • Its clear as water. I hate myself.
    The other thing its that a game that you have to do some thing at certain times every day it becomes an habit. So playing this game its quite near of smoking in the psychological aspect
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    Guild health discussions were common when cPit launched. From what information Kyno relayed to us at the time, plus Ultra's comments since then, I don't think CG believes that guild ties are a critical driving force for player retention. Maybe they're right; CG should have some data to make or break this point. But there sure is a lot of anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

i've never talked about guilds except with Doja, and it was about things CG can do for guilds, since i felt like CG does nothing for them

never talked about what they think about guilds
  • Just habit now. Though tbh I've started looking around at what else is available for the first time in a few years
  • Just habit now. Though tbh I've started looking around at what else is available for the first time in a few years

I browsed the Play Store for new releases. Found a game that isn't nearly as deep as SWGOH, but it has tons of different mini-game modes as well as some cool PvP features. And since it's new, the devs are actually still trying and the game hasn't been power-creeped into a nightmare.

At this point, I'm just waiting for CG's recap of the DC Exhibition before I throw in the towel completely.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Before I quit nearly 3 years ago the only thing that stopped me quitting was my guild, and I said i'd come back when there was new guild content to do, as CG had promised new guild content over 3 years ago such as a ship raid.

They kept true on that promise, right?
  • Buffbeardo
    253 posts Member
    edited July 2022
    My love of the Star Wars mythology combined with the game mechanics. Been playing since 2016. I’ve had my ups and downs. Almost quit. But, this game just scratch’s that itch for me. Guilds are part of every game. Something unique is here for me beyond guilds. I’m not sure quite what that is. Maybe familiar comfort. No other game comes close to the time I’ve enjoyed on this game besides Baseball Stars on the NES from way back. I still love that game too.
    Post edited by Buffbeardo on
  • Looooki
    1045 posts Member
    Just habit now. Though tbh I've started looking around at what else is available for the first time in a few years

Welcome to MSF
  • The thing that kept me going was having too much free time available but that came at the expense of ignoring more important aspects of life. Once I came to realize that, I knew the time to move on had come. The game started to require more and more time if you really want to play it the way you should. There hasn't been any real joy of playing the game since no real content has come out in a long time. Conquest has gotten even more boring since you now require to do as many battles as possible for datacron materials. It used to be interesting to try and max it with as few battles as possible but that ship has sailed.
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    Noice stuff like that.

62pbxkzaj6yx.jpeg
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Starslayer wrote: »
    Noice stuff like that.

62pbxkzaj6yx.jpeg

Congratulations, you unlocked a secret feature and will be able to play the game upside down!