Did CG really break their promise regarding gear changes?

Prev13456
So some guy goes to the Star Wars convention and asks CG when are you going to implement the other changes to gear economy as promised.

A CG representative replies 'We have.'

Then the convention goer shows a thread where further changes were promised. This was then picked up by certain youtubers who love to fight with CG and bam a fire was started.

Now we have a lot of players shouting 'CG broke their promise!' I'm sure most of these witch finders have less clarity on the matter than I do. And I am totally in the dark.

Now, a Hynesy/Crumb stream is being quoted as a source of further broken promises.

However, I remember the last Doja/Crumb/Hynesy/Drunk Ranger stream. In that Crumb was very specific.

'We don't want to rush gear changes because (blah blah blah rubbish reasons) so here's what we intend to do:

In that, he was quite specific. The idea was to make some changes until CG was happy with the balance. If further changes were needed, then they'd make them.

So that's how I understood the situation, and with that for good or for worse they kept their promise.........from my perspective. They had a list of changes, they did some until happy and stopped. As I understood was their intention.

So to clarify, can somebody who's shouting 'CG broke their promise' actually supply promised changes that weren't issued?

I'm not saying they don't exist, just I'm a bit doubtful as what Crumb said in a previous stream, seems accurate to our current situation.

Replies

• WookieWookie
    1460 posts Member
    edited July 2022
    @CG_SBCrumb:

dc071297492f69c03c9b5cbb9ddb1ffd2721ff52.gifv

Me, a launch player, a sceptic of the acceptability of current state of the gear-laxy, but a fan of Crumb and SWGOH *Edit: and a huge fan of communication:

i-dont-dont.gif
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    So some guy goes to the Star Wars convention and asks CG when are you going to implement the other changes to gear economy as promised.

A CG representative replies 'We have.'

Then the convention goer shows a thread where further changes were promised. This was then picked up by certain youtubers who love to fight with CG and bam a fire was started.

Now we have a lot of players shouting 'CG broke their promise!' I'm sure most of these witch finders have less clarity on the matter than I do. And I am totally in the dark.

Now, a Hynesy/Crumb stream is being quoted as a source of further broken promises.

However, I remember the last Doja/Crumb/Hynesy/Drunk Ranger stream. In that Crumb was very specific.

'We don't want to rush gear changes because (blah blah blah rubbish reasons) so here's what we intend to do:

In that, he was quite specific. The idea was to make some changes until CG was happy with the balance. If further changes were needed, then they'd make them.

So that's how I understood the situation, and with that for good or for worse they kept their promise.........from my perspective. They had a list of changes, they did some until happy and stopped. As I understood was their intention.

So to clarify, can somebody who's shouting 'CG broke their promise' actually supply promised changes that weren't issued?

I'm not saying they don't exist, just I'm a bit doubtful as what Crumb said in a previous stream, seems accurate to our current situation.

The September SotG announced they would be doing two phases of gear changes with a potential 3rd based on how the first two worked out.

They then laid out what Phase 1 would be and released roughly half of it. They then said the details for P2 would be announced in the next RA/Sotg. That never happened. Then in Feb SoTG they specifically said that the details about finishing phase 1 of these changes and details for the next phase would be in the March RA. Zilch. And nothing from CG since then.

So yea, they lied.
  • Screerider
    1343 posts Member
    The Phase 1 Changes they completed certainly did add a lot of Core Gear relief. I suppose that's what was intended.
  • EgoSlayer
    140 posts Member
    edited July 2022
    It's pretty clear they didn't deliver everything on what they said they were going to do. Go look at the post:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/249886/state-of-the-gear-laxy-september-2021

Look at the Phase one items that still are not delivered. And they said there would also be additional phases following 'in the near future'. We're nearly a year past that post and nothing else has happened, including the completion of the items listed for Phase 1. If you're in the dark on what was supposed to happen and what didn't happen that's entirely on you because the facts are out there.
  • Screerider
    1343 posts Member
    Phase 1 Items not delivered: (1) a dedicated spot for Core Gear in Shard Shop, (2) Territory Battle flattening of Core Gear rewards, and (3) doubling the Core Gear drop rate on Hard nodes with Character shards.

Meh. I'm good.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    I'd say given the impact of the core gear increase we got, they gave us like 75% of phase 1.

(1) There's already a couple of shard shop slots that are core gear most of the time
    (2) Not exactly sure what this one means honestly
    (3) Most good/new characters end up on nodes without core gear anyway
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Screerider wrote: »
    Phase 1 Items not delivered: (1) a dedicated spot for Core Gear in Shard Shop, (2) Territory Battle flattening of Core Gear rewards, and (3) doubling the Core Gear drop rate on Hard nodes with Character shards.

Meh. I'm good.

Cool, you’re good, but the majority of the community is not good with them not delivering on the rest of P1 and zero information or implementation on P2
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Ravens1113 wrote: »

Meh. I'm good.

Cool, you’re good, but the majority of the community is not good with them not delivering on the rest of P1 and zero information or implementation on P2

Can we see your data please?
  • You can now get gear from conquest and the daily challenges have stun guns, cuffs and mk5 droid callers. These were recent additions.

What else are we asking for?
  • TVF wrote: »

Meh. I'm good.

Oh I’m sure the CC’s and their viewers, Reddit, and the forums saying as such must be my imagination. My mistake
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Meh. I'm good.

Oh I’m sure the CC’s and their viewers, Reddit, and the forums saying as such must be my imagination. My mistake

I didn't say you were wrong, I asked for your data.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Majority means greater than 50% so I'd just like you to show us the numbers.
  • 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Feel free to rearrange, combine, repeat, etc to your liking :P
  • Screerider wrote: »
    The Phase 1 Changes they completed certainly did add a lot of Core Gear relief. I suppose that's what was intended.

You suppose.
  • Rius
    356 posts Member
    I would be happy for them to scrap all what’s left of phase 1, if they increase drop rate of shockprods and kybertechs in phase 2. Or add more to a reward box somewhere. I am bored of being stuck on them constantly. Hopefully since this has been under consideration for sooo long they will have numbers to tackle the subsequent bottle neck to carbanti and stun guns without breaking the economy.

• Jakdnels
    786 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Majority means greater than 50% so I'd just like you to show us the numbers.

I have to assume the majority of players don't read the State of the Galaxy posts so they never knew what CG posted in the first place. So maybe Raven should have said 'a lot of the community' or 'the part of the community that reads the state of the Galaxy' instead of the majority, but that doesn't change the fact that CG hasn't delivered on what they posted... Which is ok. It's their game and they have a lot more access to data that might indicate the gear changes implemented has the economy where they want it. I think it kinda sucks that they haven't addressed it officially one way or the other though. Every time it comes up it's some unclear non-answer. But again... it's their game and they can communicate things how ever they feel best and we'll provide our feedback however we individually feel best.
  • TVF wrote: »
    (3) Most good/new characters end up on nodes without core gear anyway

And that’s perfectly fine for the likes of you and me who have at most a handful of toons to farm.
    However this change as I see it was designed to alleviate gear crunch for newer players, so this change would be impactful for those who need to help us keep funding the game.

It is also par for the course overall on bad communication to promise something with clear timelines, not deliver and then just stick your head in the sand and not acknowledge the broken promises. Would put this whole moaning a bit to rest just to be open and honest about their current intentions. Had they done that back when they first stopped people could still complain that they felt short, but at least couldn’t complain about the lack of clarity.
  • Gorgus
    122 posts Member
    edited July 2022
    From my POV, CG created this firestorm not through what they did or didn’t do in game, but entirely as a product of poor communication. I think the gear economy changes they made last fall were a pretty big deal and have made a positive impact. If they had phrased it at the time as, “We are making this change, and may look to make further enhancements in the future based on what we observe in the gear economy”, none of this firestorm happens. But instead they were very specific about a Phase 1 and a Phase 2 and discussed timelines “in the near future”.

It seems clear now that they were pretty happy with the impact of the first round of changes and rethought the idea of adding more changes at this time. Which is fine, except they never told us that, and the players were waiting for action on a specific plan that they put out to us. Here we are almost a year later, and they have never addressed it other than an offhand remark by an employees in a booth at a convention and very vague comments by a community manager in a YouTube interview. A classic example of an “unforced error” which could have been easily avoided through communication.
  • They have been way too busy training Simple Jack on how to design their crappy LOTR game. E.T. on my old 2600 looks better.
  • Having a Phase 1 sort or implies a phase 2...we've have phase 1 but no phase 2. I still think CG could surprise us??? ****FB sings - if you wish upon a star- ******
  • zatchy
    123 posts Member
    I’m like 99% sure @harvestmouse is a cg dev.

On the forum post - state of the gear-laxy, Crumb details a ‘multi-phase’ gear update. Then a little below after describing their intentions, he details ‘phase 1’.

I mean based on the kits and overall failure of CG to effectively communicate, it’s possible they don’t know the meaning of the word phase, or multi, but barring that’s what your argument is, the other alternatives are CG either lied or forgot or planned to delay the future phase(s) for at least a year (which would again point to their inability to communicate effectively). Not a ton of middle ground here.
  • zatchy wrote: »

the other alternatives are CG either lied or forgot or planned to delay the future phase(s) for at least a year (which would again point to their inability to communicate effectively). Not a ton of middle ground here.

Another alternative is that we ..........erm ehhh uhhh erm they did what they did, felt that was enough and moved on. I personally, have seen a big difference on the crunch (then again I'm not a new player) and if we
    sorry! they went to the full lengths (all the phases mentioned plus further phases) isn't it excessive?

As I said in a previous topic, Mk 7 kyro shocks are more of a problem than I ever had with Mk5 SGs or Mk3 Carbs.

I guess the bottom line, is we.........SORRY!!! they could have communicated better. Maybe a dumb case of hoping the community would have forgotten.

• zatchy wrote: »

the other alternatives are CG either lied or forgot or planned to delay the future phase(s) for at least a year (which would again point to their inability to communicate effectively). Not a ton of middle ground here.

Another alternative is that we ..........erm ehhh uhhh erm they did what they did, felt that was enough and moved on. I personally, have seen a big difference on the crunch (then again I'm not a new player) and if we
    sorry! they went to the full lengths (all the phases mentioned plus further phases) isn't it excessive?

As I said in a previous topic, Mk 7 kyro shocks are more of a problem than I ever had with Mk5 SGs or Mk3 Carbs.

I guess the bottom line, is we.........SORRY!!! they could have communicated better. Maybe a dumb case of hoping the community would have forgotten.

Then maybe CG should’ve communicated. They announced specific changes were coming, released about 25% of those changes and then went radio silent on the issue.

There’s no positive spin on this where CG comes out unscathed in this. They lied about what they stated they would do and if they decided after internal review not to follow through they failed to communicate with us. Plain and simple
  • Lumiya
    1431 posts Member
    At least there is now some kind of confirmation from Crumb in the Hynsey stream that there is still phase 1 to be finished.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • DarthBigdogVWW
    41 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand the changes they made combined with conquest loot really has helped a lot. On the other hand, I still have a ton of characters stuck at G12 waiting on the same gear, particularly gold furnaces and Kyros.

In June I stopped all gearing to hoard for Malgus. In six weeks starting from more or less zero, I saved enough to take him from 0 to R8. (Only spend was $9.99 conquest packs). I had an excess of 3 stun gun/carbs and enough finishers to take Cassian from G11 to R5 when the conquest ended. If I use that as a yardstick, I can take ~9 characters a year up to high relic for GL’s, capital ships, etc. Since there are over 200 characters in game, that is a 4% rate, meaning 25 yrs to develop a full roster.

Still seems a bit long for a mobile game, even one with a long a shelf life as SWGOH.
    Post edited by DarthBigdogVWW on
  • Engage
    267 posts Member
    It would be great if they would announce an improvement and work towards it instead of changing their mind or putting it on the back burner. Those state of the game updates are rubbish because they keep moving in a different direction from what was promised.
    We want the gear farming to not take weeks per gear piece. CG: *Here's Datacrons* Take it or leave it.
    404cc135a6864335e4f3e098c20da75a--funny-things-funny-stuff.jpg
  • What would really help is instead of announcing things for the vague nebulous future they actually announce them with dates like most games.

For example if they said: 'Relics mats are being reduced for level R7-R9. That change will be taking place next update on Tuesday 8/2.'

Instead they say: 'Relic changes are needed and they'll be coming soon. Also, don't ask when soon is. Also, trust us that its coming even though there is no additional news. Also, don't be mad that its 4 months later and nothing has changed.'

Just wait the four months until its ready and then announce it when you do it. Its really not that hard and yet every update its the same mistakes...
  • Kyros are the worst thing they did with the gear crunch because we need far more of them than stun guns. How they were added to older characters as G13 finishers is fine, but new characters needing hundreds just to get to G11 is a joke.
    The two photos show how many kyros I need for Starkiller and GI, I need less kyros to get Rey.

hofxanixy63t.png
    25d1b4h9ao6a.png
  • Without even getting into future phases some of the things they specifically mentioned, for example adding more gear to hard nodes to make farming shards better, weren't done
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Without even getting into future phases some of the things they specifically mentioned, for example adding more gear to hard nodes to make farming shards better, weren't done

the only notable change for phase 1 that’s left is doubling the gear qty on hard nodes

which helps but barely moves the needle